Asylum Linux Server

Something to consider waaayyyyy after things are nice and fixed here is at least 1 Linux branch server. There's no decent life servers for the Linux branch and it wouldn't make sense to really build one from the ground up. I'm making some assumptions based on my limited understanding of how arma's servers work but from what I know between the 2 branches all that's required for a windows user to play on the Linux build is downgrade Arma 3 a few patches. So I'm assuming that there aren't an insurmountable amount of changes between each patch. Probably not worth it if there is because while you'd get some donations you aren't gonna fill 4 linux branch servers. The active player base on the linux branch is in the low hundreds.

And us Linux gamers take what we can get and dont bitch about bugs lol

Just now, Doomba said:

Something to consider waaayyyyy after things are nice and fixed here is at least 1 Linux branch server. There's no decent life servers for the Linux branch and it wouldn't make sense to really build one from the ground up. I'm making some assumptions based on my limited understanding of how arma's servers work but from what I know between the 2 branches all that's required for a windows user to play on the Linux build is downgrade Arma 3 a few patches. So I'm assuming that there aren't an insurmountable amount of changes between each patch. Probably not worth it if there is because while you'd get some donations you aren't gonna fill 4 linux branch servers. The active player base on the linux branch is in the low hundreds.

And us Linux gamers take what we can get and dont bitch about bugs lol

I'm sorry but there's just no reason to... most people who play games use Windows or Mac obv windows being like 90% of the gaming population. Linux though is just so different and really not worth it imo. Not enough people use linux to justify a new server just for linux users.

Just now, Tyler said:

I'm sorry but there's just no reason to... most people who play games use Windows or Mac obv windows being like 90% of the gaming population. Linux though is just so different and really not worth it imo. Not enough people use linux to justify a new server just for linux users.

Take a look at the steam user statistics for Linux gamers and I think you'll be surprised. Yeah it's niche but less niche than mac gaming. Steam rolled out a comparability library a few months back making 68% of the entire store playable overnight. More and more windows gamers are making the switch for productivity and privacy reasons and finding out that many of the games they play run fine. It's small right now but look at the trends for growth. I can make a several paragraph legit case for this breaking down alllll the nitty gritty if you want :P

I even have access to a large community of Linux ONLY gamers (the no tux no bux fellows) and I know for sure just being in the Linux branch community you'd fill at least one server with em if it went up right this second. If the trend continues that number will double over the next 3 years. If you guys are willing to hear us out I can get a zergrush of new registrations expressing interest.

Just now, Doomba said:

Take a look at the steam user statistics for Linux gamers and I think you'll be surprised. Yeah it's niche but less niche than mac gaming. Steam rolled out a comparability library a few months back making 68% of the entire store playable overnight. More and more windows gamers are making the switch for productivity and privacy reasons and finding out that many of the games they play run fine. It's small right now but look at the trends for growth. I can make a several paragraph legit case for this breaking down alllll the nitty gritty if you want :P

I even have access to a large community of Linux ONLY gamers (the no tux no bux fellows) and I know for sure just being in the Linux branch community you'd fill at least one server with em if it went up right this second. If the trend continues that number will double over the next 3 years. If you guys are willing to hear us out I can get a zergrush of new registrations expressing interest.

I mean i understand the reason people want to use linux... i ran several Linux boxes when i ran my own servers back in the day but still i only know one or two guys who even play on a linux machine.

Doomba likes this