Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So...what's the salary? What would someone who applied & accepted one of these positions be compensated for their time and efforts?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Phil | OG said:

So...what's the salary? What would someone who applied & accepted one of these positions be compensated for their time and efforts?

 

 

Salary?  

 

This isnt a job.  None of us get paid.  

 

I own the damn thing and I dont get paid.

thero, Mayhem, Scott and 25 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Phil | OG said:

So...what's the salary? What would someone who applied & accepted one of these positions be compensated for their time and efforts?

 

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post

Appreciation for your help?

Over on Olympus I had set up a method of paying our developers/designers with in-game content and such. That is something I'm sure that could be discussed with our owners to see what they feel, etc. However, at this time no payments in-game/out of game occur for any of the development positions.
 

Zoex, GravL, Scott and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/16/2019 at 9:45 PM, Clint Beastwood said:

Salary?  

 

This isnt a job.  None of us get paid.  

 

I own the damn thing and I dont get paid.

Technically owners never get paid. , at least not in the normal salary way.

I mean I understand where phill is coming from. Development is a high paying job (especially in the Netherlands, idk other places). And I am sorry @•ÐŠ• cHIP oTLE but i doubt this is usefull for experience.

Edited by wollie35
Slick likes this

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nedmoney said:

Devs who really care about the server love what they do for free.

that's the most dumb thing ive heared in a while. Ive loved developing at a bunch of places. Why would you work for free. 

Does a rapper who loves rapping perform for free?

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, wollie35 said:

that's the most dumb thing ive heared in a while. Ive loved developing at a bunch of places. Why would you work for free. 

Does a rapper who loves rapping perform for free?

no because thats his living. Asylum doesn't make enough capital to pay dev salaries, as it is just a hobby for most players. Its not a full time job

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2019 at 3:45 AM, wollie35 said:

Technically owners never get paid. , at least not in the normal salary way.

I mean I understand where phill is coming from. Development is a high paying job (especially in the Netherlands, idk other places). And I am sorry @•ÐŠ• cHIP oTLE but i doubt this is usefull for experience.

In regards to "experience", this definitely is still experience. You're scripting stuff you're trying to program stuff that's problem solving and all programming languages will follow this idea. The better you get at problem solving the better you are as a programmer, so this is definitely an experience gainer even though it's not in a popular programming language.

Sneaky and Sp0on like this

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nedmoney said:

no because thats his living. Asylum doesn't make enough capital to pay dev salaries, as it is just a hobby for most players. Its not a full time job

Even if i don't work full time i still get paid

Share this post


Link to post

im sure if they could afford salaries they would, but it doesnt seem thats the case as most of the money goes back into server maintenance etc. Maybe they could start an ingame salary for devs and map designers. idk its their choice

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Google™ said:

In regards to "experience", this definitely is still experience. You're scripting stuff you're trying to program stuff that's problem solving and all programming languages will follow this idea. The better you get at problem solving the better you are as a programmer, so this is definitely an experience gainer even though it's not in a popular programming language.

but that's why i said i doubt it's a usefull one. Why experience in a shitty language, unpaid, when you can go out and get a paid experience in a better language where you can do more stuff and is also relevant. 

Better of creating random python project, or C# or program a raspi for all i know. More fun and more usefull (if your not looking for gaining experience while being paid). 

Google™ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, wollie35 said:

that's the most dumb thing ive heared in a while. Ive loved developing at a bunch of places. Why would you work for free. 

Does a rapper who loves rapping perform for free?

a rapper starting out does alot of free things, no offense to any of our staff but i dont think its most developers/designers dreams to become aslyum staff and get paid for it and live off that wage, its a foot in the door

quesadilla likes this

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, J9HUNNA said:

a rapper starting out does alot of free things, no offense to any of our staff but i dont think its most developers/designers dreams to become aslyum staff and get paid for it and live off that wage, its a foot in the door

Exactly. Even if paid if ur smart u don't work for Asylum imo. Just don't learn anything with it that u can use in the future.

Edited by wollie35
Slick and J9HUNNA like this

Share this post


Link to post

The experience is better than the pay for a dev.

You can put the experience in a resume. Let's say you want to go work as a developer with Microsoft, they want experienced people you can't just walk in and say I want this job. A lot of starting positions have to be voluntary for the experience to get you to a good paying job in that type of work. You can't expect to be paid for everything you do. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, LoudKeyboard said:

The experience is better than the pay for a dev.

You can put the experience in a resume. Let's say you want to go work as a developer with Microsoft, they want experienced people you can't just walk in and say I want this job. A lot of starting positions have to be voluntary for the experience to get you to a good paying job in that type of work. You can't expect to be paid for everything you do. 

Speaking from experience, u don't need alot of experience (and certainly not this experience) to work at Microsoft.

J9HUNNA and Slick like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2019 at 3:45 AM, wollie35 said:

Technically owners never get paid. , at least not in the normal salary way.

I mean I understand where phill is coming from. Development is a high paying job (especially in the Netherlands, idk other places). And I am sorry @•ÐŠ• cHIP oTLE but i doubt this is usefull for experience.

So luckily you are wrong and to anyone else reading this who has any interest in helping asylum out it might be worth your time.

 

 

When going for development jobs you will be turned away before you can get past the application process if you don't have projects that can show the amount of experience you have. Companies expect you to have projects that equate to the amount of time you have spent in that field which usually is around 2-10 years of experience depending on the level of position. For most people they would just list there degree and school projects but a lot of folks prefer not to go to school since 99% of the things at university these days are things you can learn on your own. (Those people would need projects like these.)

 

One example of this is I made a few websites and a mobile app program for fun for an asylum gang and used it to get a job at IBM. I spent half my interview talking about my my projects for which the asylum one's I made ended up being a huge talking point. Granted I had a ton of projects from school but those were projects that I followed some task I was told to do rather than something I created on my own and could talk extensively about to show what I know.

Edited by Sugarfoot

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Sugarfoot said:

So luckily you are wrong and to anyone else reading this who has any interest in helping asylum out it might be worth your time.

 

 

When going for development jobs you will be turned away before you can get past the application process if you don't have projects that can show the amount of experience you have. Companies expect you to have projects that equate to the amount of time you have spent in that field which usually is around 2-10 years of experience depending on the level of position. For most people they would just list there degree and school projects but a lot of folks prefer not to go to school since 99% of the things at university these days are things you can learn on your own. (Those people would need projects like these.)

 

One example of this is I made a few websites and a mobile app program for fun for an asylum gang and used it to get a job at IBM. I spent half my interview talking about my my projects for which the asylum one's I made ended up being a huge talking point. Granted I had a ton of projects from school but those were projects that I followed some task I was told to do rather than something I created on my own and could talk extensively about to show what I know.

Idk where ur from, and i never said u don't need experience to get into a job. But from where I live you don't need 2-10 years experience to get an IT job, mainly because technology is our biggest profit maker we have over here and we are very advanced in it.

The experience I had was mostly from some projects I just did for home, i created a couple websites left and right but that's not very interesting to do imo. Even with me then having less then 2 years experience (not including school), I still got one of the highest paying jobs at a big wellknown company at the age of 19. As I said might be different it might be different where u live, but come here with an IT-degree and you have a 99.36% chance of getting a job in most areas (not a madeup number).

Sidenote: I stopped developing now and going more for the combination of business/IT because I find programming to antisoscial, but I still got quite a bit of experience on it.

edit: I agree that Asylum could be an interesting project, but that would only be if you wouldn't be writing in this shitty language that is needed for arma. Yes I know that most languages are the same with different syntaxes, but if you create some fun projects. learn python it's an insanely strong language which can do basically everything, just nothing specifically well. It's fastly growing and has recently left java in the dust. If your interested in the business side of things as well, it can do alot of data analysis. 

My current project that i am working on to learn a bit more code:

Written in python, neural network that manages to learn your handwriting (with all the letters input of course) and then this followed up by being able to create sentences with your handwriting.  Currently it has a 96% succesrate and still learning. And no i am not commiting identity fraud with it

Edited by wollie35
.Casper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, wollie35 said:

Idk where ur from, and i never said u don't need experience to get into a job. But from where I live you don't need 2-10 years experience to get an IT job, mainly because technology is our biggest profit maker we have over here and we are very advanced in it.

The experience I had was mostly from some projects I just did for home, i created a couple websites left and right but that's not very interesting to do imo. Even with me then having less then 2 years experience (not including school), I still got one of the highest paying jobs at a big wellknown company at the age of 19. As I said might be different it might be different where u live, but come here with an IT-degree and you have a 99.36% chance of getting a job in most areas (not a madeup number).

Sidenote: I stopped developing now and going more for the combination of business/IT because I find programming to antisoscial, but I still got quite a bit of experience on it.

edit: I agree that Asylum could be an interesting project, but that would only be if you wouldn't be writing in this shitty language that is needed for arma. Yes I know that most languages are the same with different syntaxes, but if you create some fun projects. learn python it's an insanely strong language which can do basically everything, just nothing specifically well. It's fastly growing and has recently left java in the dust. If your interested in the business side of things as well, it can do alot of data analysis. 

My current project that i am working on to learn a bit more code:

Written in python, neural network that manages to learn your handwriting (with all the letters input of course) and then this followed up by being able to create sentences with your handwriting.  Currently it has a 96% succesrate and still learning. And no i am not commiting identity fraud with it

cool.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bigjohn561 said:

cool.

God i love braindead people who say stuff when they have nothing usefull to contribute to the conversation

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, wollie35 said:

God i love braindead people who say stuff when they have nothing usefull to contribute to the conversation

um... cool?

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/28/2019 at 1:05 AM, wollie35 said:

God i love braindead people who say stuff when they have nothing usefull to contribute to the conversation

 

16 hours ago, bigjohn561 said:

um... cool?

what was the point of this?

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/27/2019 at 5:30 PM, wollie35 said:

Idk where ur from, and i never said u don't need experience to get into a job. But from where I live you don't need 2-10 years experience to get an IT job, mainly because technology is our biggest profit maker we have over here and we are very advanced in it.

The experience I had was mostly from some projects I just did for home, i created a couple websites left and right but that's not very interesting to do imo. Even with me then having less then 2 years experience (not including school), I still got one of the highest paying jobs at a big wellknown company at the age of 19. As I said might be different it might be different where u live, but come here with an IT-degree and you have a 99.36% chance of getting a job in most areas (not a madeup number).

Sidenote: I stopped developing now and going more for the combination of business/IT because I find programming to antisoscial, but I still got quite a bit of experience on it.

edit: I agree that Asylum could be an interesting project, but that would only be if you wouldn't be writing in this shitty language that is needed for arma. Yes I know that most languages are the same with different syntaxes, but if you create some fun projects. learn python it's an insanely strong language which can do basically everything, just nothing specifically well. It's fastly growing and has recently left java in the dust. If your interested in the business side of things as well, it can do alot of data analysis. 

My current project that i am working on to learn a bit more code:

Written in python, neural network that manages to learn your handwriting (with all the letters input of course) and then this followed up by being able to create sentences with your handwriting.  Currently it has a 96% succesrate and still learning. And no i am not commiting identity fraud with it

So im sure you meant programming/software-engineer instead of IT but maybe your right - maybe its a bit different in America then it is where you live. (I believe you are from out of the US if I remember correctly).

I am mostly speaking from my experience in America and for 99% of the programming jobs over here you are expected to have 4-10 years experience for most jobs. You may get lucky and find an apprenticeship or internship where they will take 2-3 years with some extra expectations. It might be completely different where you live and everything I said then would really be negated so maybe my advice is for people from the states then.

 

As for projects - I have always felt that you can speak about a project you did on your own free time a hell of a lot better then one that you just followed the steps from a professor. In my case I was able to talk about the projects I did here in depth and it landed me a job that I couldn't imagine someone as dumb as me being able to get. I 

 

I didn't mean that the project you do here will be your life longs best work and you will be able to sell it to a company :D - I just meant rather if you put effort into it and its something you invest your free time into - it will definitely be something that can be useful in your life. Hell I think my project from asylum was in PHP/SQL/Java and now for work all I do is GatewayScript (JavaScript), C++, and XML lol but I knew so much about what I did that I was able to talk about that project like it was something Bill Gates made.

Edited by Sugarfoot

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Pause said:

 

what was the point of this?

Idk all i said was cool cuz i read it all and thought it was cool and he got upset.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Sugarfoot said:

So im sure you meant programming/software-engineer instead of IT but maybe your right - maybe its a bit different in America then it is where you live. (I believe you are from out of the US if I remember correctly).

I am mostly speaking from my experience in America and for 99% of the programming jobs over here you are expected to have 4-10 years experience for most jobs. You may get lucky and find an apprenticeship or internship where they will take 2-3 years with some extra expectations. It might be completely different where you live and everything I said then would really be negated so maybe my advice is for people from the states then.

 

As for projects - I have always felt that you can speak about a project you did on your own free time a hell of a lot better then one that you just followed the steps from a professor. In my case I was able to talk about the projects I did here in depth and it landed me a job that I couldn't imagine someone as dumb as me being able to get. I 

 

I didn't mean that the project you do here will be your life longs best work and you will be able to sell it to a company :D - I just meant rather if you put effort into it and its something you invest your free time into - it will definitely be something that can be useful in your life. Hell I think my project from asylum was in PHP/SQL/Java and now for work all I do is GatewayScript (JavaScript), C++, and XML lol but I knew so much about what I did that I was able to talk about that project like it was something Bill Gates made.

Yeah i from the Netherlands so i guess that explains the difference between work experience nessecary. And also saying IT cause it's easier then to keep saying software engineer (that's what I am oficially, but working on another degree now).

If you did PHP/SQl for Asylum, does this mean you contributed to this website, cause i kinda thought this was a big template, sinds every fora uses it. (Escape from tarkov, Olympus and other). But i could be wrong. And yes i know templates still need work, but not that much usually.

I completely agree with everything u say tho. But if u wanna do a project imo, do something u do for u. Where you can make it however you want. More importantly can make all the mistakes you want. I think doing a project like Asylum would make it limited to what they want.

But yeah job experience wise, speaking for the Netherlands. U don't need alot in webdevelopng/software engineer. Hell my first intern leader was a developer who didn't know how to write code (he didn't start as a developer but slowly got into it. He was pretty shitty at coding, but yaknow what can you expect.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2019 at 4:26 AM, wollie35 said:

Yeah i from the Netherlands so i guess that explains the difference between work experience nessecary. And also saying IT cause it's easier then to keep saying software engineer (that's what I am oficially, but working on another degree now).

If you did PHP/SQl for Asylum, does this mean you contributed to this website, cause i kinda thought this was a big template, sinds every fora uses it. (Escape from tarkov, Olympus and other). But i could be wrong. And yes i know templates still need work, but not that much usually.

I completely agree with everything u say tho. But if u wanna do a project imo, do something u do for u. Where you can make it however you want. More importantly can make all the mistakes you want. I think doing a project like Asylum would make it limited to what they want.

But yeah job experience wise, speaking for the Netherlands. U don't need alot in webdevelopng/software engineer. Hell my first intern leader was a developer who didn't know how to write code (he didn't start as a developer but slowly got into it. He was pretty shitty at coding, but yaknow what can you expect.  

 

So I apologize if I made it sound like I contributed to asylum because I have not helped them in any way shape or form other then trying to be positive with their changes.

I made a few projects for the gangs I was in .. particularly Rebel Department and Elysium at the time. I had made a Database where we kept things like gang bank money transactions, dates for paychecks, and all sorts of useful stuff. I had also made a Website that pulled the latest montage from a few of the gang members just for the fun of it. It was these two particular projects that I was really happy with that I have had success when referencing.

 

(Note - I am not saying that these skills will get you a job and you will use those skills for the rest of your life. They just serve a purpose that it shows you are someone capable of learning on your own and working to create something useful. Hell most of us never do anything at work that we learned prior ... usually all propriatary junk xD)

 

I think you get where I am coming from - but Netherlands sounds really dope and congrats on the sick job man

wollie35 and Google™ like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sugarfoot said:

I made a few projects for the gangs I was in .. particularly Rebel Department and Elysium at the time. I had made a Database where we kept things like gang bank money transactions, dates for paychecks, and all sorts of useful stuff. I had also made a Website that pulled the latest montage from a few of the gang members just for the fun of it. It was these two particular projects that I was really happy with that I have had success when referencing.

I think you get where I am coming from - but Netherlands sounds really dope and congrats on the sick job man

These projects are good ye imo. Do what you want, how you want them.  No strings, just having fun while creating shit. I get where you coming from.

Also i already left the job again because uni was taking up quite some time. But thx

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...