Samperino

Role Play on the APD

What is role play?

Role-playing is the changing of one's behaviour to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role.

So what's your point?

Over time, the role play quality of on-duty officers has gone down.

The APD

The APD is the backbone of role play on Asylum's Altis Life. All officers on duty (and preferably off duty) are expected to uphold a higher level of quality in how they act while playing on Asylum. The blufor faction (Cop, APD) is whitelisted, which means it is a privilege and not a right to be able to play on it.

Somewhere down the line, role play made its way to the back seat and became more about making money and shooting guns. While that's all good and fun, role play while on duty needs to be at the forefront at all times.

The APD is not a gang. Good aim and combat awareness is definitely a plus, but is never required and is never put above your ability to talk to people.

The issues

There are lots of issues that have crept up over time, including but not limited to:

• Full, or near full tickets for well thought out role play (explaining charges, etc)
  • Poor treatment of civilians who put effort into their character
  • Shooting before talking (APD hands up... bang bang bang)
  • Bleeping sirens to initiate and shoot as soon as possible

While technically these aren't necessarily against any APD policy (barring severe circumstances), they are definitely frowned upon.

The solution(s)

There's no easy solution.

To start off, and effective immediately, any lack of role play or failure to role play will be dealt with harshly by our APD staff. This will require everyone's help to report this behaviour. We need video evidence. We cannot act based off of word of mouth.

If you are unable to talk to people respectfully with no bias, the APD is not for you. This goes for all ranks.

Civilian role play

Asylum is a light role play server. Civilians are not required to role play, but when civilians do role play, or put effort into it, they should be rewarded. If role play is rewarded, they will be more likely to put more effort into it again in the future.

If the cops do not role play, there is a chain reaction that happens.

1. Civilian gets into a situation with an APD officer
  2. Civilian attempts to role play
  3. APD officer is a generic brick wall (issues full, or close to full ticket, or is almost like a robot)
  4. Civilian sees that the effort he/she put in didn't pay off
  5. Civilian sees no point in role playing in the future
  6. Next APD officer interaction, the civilian isn't role playing because role playing doesn't pay off

Even if a civilian is not role playing, there is no excuse in not trying to get something out of the civilian.

Questions or concerns?

Feel free to post below.

10 minutes ago, Samperino said:

Even if a civilian is not role playing, there is no excuse in not trying to get something out of the civilian.

Does this mean we should try to get them to open up still if they don't want to rp their charges and just want ticket/jail/etc?

Just now, Samperino said:

Yes, always at least try to.

So I should be like "Are you sure you don't want to explain anything sir, there could be a reasonable explanation for all of this and I don't want you to be wrongfully punished?" etc

Also I would assume that someone having to go irl etc would be an exception for this as they explicitly want processing to end so they can leave?

Mason likes this

Just now, Lucien said:

So I should be like "Are you sure you don't want to explain anything sir, there could be a reasonable explanation for all of this and I don't want you to be wrongfully punished?" etc

Also I would assume that someone having to go irl etc would be an exception for this as they explicitly want processing to end so they can leave?

It's very easy to tell if someone just wants the process to be sped along. You should never, as an officer, ask if they just want their ticket. If the civilian requests it specifically, that's their choice. As an officer you should be investigating the crimes the civilian did, not asking if they "just want a ticket," just as an example.

Lucien likes this

Just now, Samperino said:

It's very easy to tell if someone just wants the process to be sped along. You should never, as an officer, ask if they just want their ticket. If the civilian requests it specifically, that's their choice. As an officer you should be investigating the crimes the civilian did, not asking if they "just want a ticket," just as an example.

Ah I was just confused as the wording was ambiguous thanks

4 minutes ago, Erik said:

captains following the guidebook would be a good start

Definitely agree. When you're being an awesome sport and a Captain decides you should keep your illegal hunting rifle because it's one that your great grandfather passed down to you, which also has your family's name etched into it, they should be blacklisted for corruption. That shouldn't be allowed.

When you're being an incessant little bitch to the cops for hours at a time for the sake of just being an incessant little bitch (not even to role play), they shouldn't have the ability to throw your ass in jail.

:thinking:

1 minute ago, Raza said:

Let the mad amounts of reports fly...

That's the goal. If you see any form of lack of role play or robocopping, please do report it. It really does help. Word of mouth isn't going to help.

Imo there should be an example being set by higher-ups and as some people have pointed out straight to jail offenses are stupid unless you broke out of jail or specifically asked for it (disobeying etc). I personally find it dumb that if i get lethaled and revived after a prison break is over and i get up and kill 2 cops a certain retired captain can send me straight to jail without a ticket because he's getting shot at across the island and wants to be a cuck. While i'm specifically saying "Just seize my stuff and i'll explain my charges". And see this retired captain i have no issues with out of game played other games with him had a great time, the second we get in game it's like the douchebag switch goes off in his head and he's bending anyone and everyone over as far as he can before they snap.

Edited by Tyler

What if good roleplay was rewarded?

Sometimes it's a hassle to upload evidence of someone being a shit head, so what if higher ups started voting on officer(s) of the week?

You won't catch all or even most of the bad ones with player reporting, so why not try and make the good one's stand out? 

As an example: 

Person 1 "Did you hear Judg3 got officer of the week? They gave him his own hunter and 250k in cash!"

Person 2 "Golly Jee Wiz! Maybe I ought to try my hand at being a better roleplayer so I can be just like him!"

Person 1 "Neck yourself m8! Officer of the week is as good as mine! Hollywood here I come!"

Just now, Judg3 said:

Sometimes it's a hassle to upload evidence of someone being a shit head, so what if higher ups started voting on officer(s) of the week?

You won't catch all or even most of the bad ones with player reporting, so why not try and make the good one's stand out? 

As an example: 

Person 1 "Did you hear Judg3 got officer of the week? They gave him his own hunter and 250k in cash!"

Person 2 "Golly Jee Wiz! Maybe I ought to try my hand at being a better roleplayer so I can be just like him!"

Person 1 "Neck yourself m8! Officer of the week is as good as mine! Hollywood here I come!"

They'll just all vote for their friends. Same way people who aren't deserving get promoted. 

Boomerman likes this

Just now, Judg3 said:

As an example: 

Soooo you want higher ups to give vehicles that ONLY THEY can and should be able to buy to a random constable because he gave 5 people a pardon after listening to them blabbering on for 15 minutes each? 

Erik likes this

27 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

Remove the straight to jail charge might be an easy option to begin with.

Just now, Tyler said:

Imo there should be an example being set by higher-ups and as some people have pointed out straight to jail offenses are stupid unless you broke out of jail or specifically asked for it (disobeying etc). I personally find it dumb that if i get lethaled and revived after a prison break is over and i get up and kill 2 cops a certain retired captain can send me straight to jail without a ticket because he's getting shot at across the island and wants to be a cuck.

Yeah I don't see how prison conspiring should be straight to jail - if cops lose tons of loadouts and keep coming back and get ticked or whatever that doesn't mean they shouldn't roleplay

Its not like prison is the only place people go to pick fights with cops with little reward - alamo feds exist (or did at least when we had a higher pop) and so many people will stay after bank is over for the fight

Some people forget that this is a game and people would like to actually play instead of sitting around for 45 minutes :shrug:

1 minute ago, Judg3 said:

As an example: 

I mean good roleplay is something sergeants and lieutenants will typically look for when looking to promote people - I don't see why it should be further rewarded especially with something like a hunter

Not to be that guy but sometimes a good deed is its own reward to - I've had civs turn themselves in to me multiple times, help me out if I'm alone, and generally be not a dick after a good roleplay experience :)

eRr0r : n0 UnIT and Padrinos like this

29 minutes ago, Farmer Steve said:

A retired captain should not have the same authority in-game as an active captain. It's kind of weird how a captain from years before can show up and can do whatever the fuck he wants.

And this has been the single cause of a lot of problems.  Only active captains should be allowed to bend the rules.  Someone who only plays every once and a while and is given a free pass to abuse the rules is going to ruin things for everybody.

Edited by Elaiscancer

10 minutes ago, Judg3 said:

As an example: 

This already happens behind the scenes, even for those not applying for corporal. There is a public forum as well to suggest rewards for officers that do their job well, more people should use it

Donald Clinton and Chow Mein like this

True BUT how many constables are actually out fishing for a promotion? The thought is to incentivize the cops who otherwise don't care. 

Everyone has a price and unfortunatley corporal isn't everyone's desired reward. Some would just like the recognition, but EVERYONE loves money.

With the amount of robocops today, it's kind of apparent the only reward shouldn't just be getting promoted.

eRr0r : n0 UnIT likes this

27 minutes ago, Samperino said:

Definitely agree. When you're being an awesome sport and a Captain decides you should keep your illegal hunting rifle because it's one that your great grandfather passed down to you, which also has your family's name etched into it, they should be blacklisted for corruption. That shouldn't be allowed.

When you're being an incessant little bitch to the cops for hours at a time for the sake of just being an incessant little bitch (not even to role play), they shouldn't have the ability to throw your ass in jail.

That's the goal. If you see any form of lack of role play or robocopping, please do report it. It really does help. Word of mouth isn't going to help.

Secret assigned NARCs will clean house lol

7 minutes ago, Judg3 said:

Everyone has a price and unfortunatley corporal isn't everyone's desired reward.

I think if you don't enjoy playing as an APD officer by itself and are only in it for a reward, then you shouldn't play. That being said, sure recognition is a great thing, but I don't think paying cops to be good is the best idea. 

Maaqs likes this

42 minutes ago, Samperino said:

Or if youre unrestraining people and lethaling them beside you during a prison break, seizing gold bars during a firefight and driving off, asking constables to lethal you to avoid kidnapping..

4 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Or if youre unrestraining people and lethaling them beside you during a prison break, seizing gold bars during a firefight and driving off, asking constables to lethal you to avoid kidnapping..

Yeah if we could have some sort of limit to how much the rules can be bent that would be better. Dropping 1 guy an mk1 is ok vs the examples you listed

15 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Or if youre unrestraining people and lethaling them beside you during a prison break

Nobody has been unrestrained and lethaled. Here we go with the embellishments again.

17 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

seizing gold bars during a firefight and driving off, asking constables to lethal you to avoid kidnapping..

Actionable offences, which you already know as you have already reported these.

Again with the baiting.

•ÐŠ• Randy likes this

10 minutes ago, Samperino said:

Nobody has been unrestrained and lethaled. Here we go with the embellishments again.

Again with the baiting.

I have unrestrained and lethaled people or walked right up to a guy who was downed and lethaled him plenty of times per orders. I've had a LT / Captain say Just kill everyone we're done here if they wanna leave fine but if they wanna fight we're full lethals.

Lucien likes this

Just now, Rodrigo said:

Are you actually trying to pretend this has not happend?

I'm sure it has happened before, just not in the circumstance he's talking about.

Just now, Rodrigo said:

Are you actually trying to pretend this has not happend?

I would also like to point out, me "pretending this has not happened" does not change the fact that it needs to be reported.

As you move up the chain you get more leniency when it comes to following the guidebook. Maybe have all ranks including captains follow the guidebook and the lower ranks will follow the example set by the higher ups. 

Or you could make a useless post like this saying that any effort given by civs in processing should be rewarded*

*Except if a higher up is processing because the civ probably called them mean names 2 days ago

Batcan, Mauv, Judg3 and 6 others like this

14 minutes ago, Samperino said:

I'm sure it has happened before, just not in the circumstance he's talking about.

I would also like to point out, me "pretending this has not happened" does not change the fact that it needs to be reported.

I was starting to sweat for a second here.

Haha no idea why you say that, I guess people are reporting it if they care.

Any plans for the straight to jail charge btw?

1 minute ago, TRYHARD said:

Or you could make a useless post like this saying that any effort given by civs in processing should be rewarded*

*Except if a higher up is processing because the civ probably called them mean names 2 days ago

I understand how you might portray this post as such, but no. If you act like a cunt, you'll be treated like one, regardless of rank. If you're not acting like a cunt, or perhaps you did yesterday but aren't today, and the officers are showing bias in regards to what happened yesterday, report it. Make sure to show the whole situation and not 5 seconds of one sided footage. Like I said in my post:

2 hours ago, Samperino said:

If you are unable to talk to people respectfully with no bias, the APD is not for you.

This goes for all ranks.

4 minutes ago, Elaiscancer said:

This was just a way for them to pat themselves on the back and pretend they'll do anything about robocopping.  When the higher ups are notorious for it then don't expect any changes

Report it and find out. All I can say.

1 hour ago, •ÐŠ• Randy said:

I think if you don't enjoy playing as an APD officer by itself and are only in it for a reward, then you shouldn't play. That being said, sure recognition is a great thing, but I don't think paying cops to be good is the best idea. 

I agree 100%, yet at the same time this isn't the reality for a big chunk of the APD.

Let me clear up my example of a reward, it was over the top and I don't expect constables to get armor or 250k, but you need to nudge the shitters every now and then. 

I am implying there needs to be more outside of the box solutions. Saying report the bad cops feels like we are just resting on our laurels. Report them sure, but incentivize the ones on the fence to be better as well.

Realistically, you'll have an influx in reports because of this post, but that is going to drop off after a couple of weeks.

What is plan B to improve roleplay longer term?

Just now, Judg3 said:

What is plan B to improve roleplay longer term?

Its a two way street, as long as there is no requirement for criminals its really not fair to try and force super serious RP on cops.

1 hour ago, Samperino said:

Again with the baiting.

Codie Alterman unrestrained and lethaled Zaka infront of the prison with like 8 of us there, 2 of which where admins, 3 of which where higher ups (Sgt+) and also said they seen it when i mentioned it previously in the post i made about the Captains a few weeks back along with discussions in TS so you can deny it all you want and think im "embellishing" the situation, it happened.

Actionable offences which have had no impact on said person considering they are still roaming about on their second chance as a retired captain, a few words spoken is all i believe was behind 4 reports if im not mistaken? Considering he was once at the top of the APD food chain he should have been held to a much higher standard. If that was a Cpl or Constable they'd be fucked into oblivion.

Not baiting, stating facts which you always seem to try and veer away from or just respond with big words to try and sound smart or an emote, which this will prob get anyway. System in place is broke, people are too pally with one another and the sooner you come to see that the sooner shit will start to right itself. 3 years ago people doing what they are now would be terrified to do so but now its a sham.

Kawaii, eazy:(, Dally and 7 others like this

Just now, Sean That Irish Guy said:

3 years ago people doing what they are now would be terrified to do so but now its a sham.

3 years ago, "people doing what they are doing now", would laugh at you for complaining about it.

1 minute ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Actionable offences which have had no impact on said person

Ah, you know exactly what the outcome of the action taken was. Gotcha.

2 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

which you always seem to try and veer away from

No, you just pretend that you know the outcome, and then whine when you don't get what you want.

3 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Codie Alterman unrestrained and lethaled Zaka infront of the prison with like 8 of us there, 2 of which where admins, 3 of which where higher ups (Sgt+) and also said they seen it when i mentioned it previously in the post i made about the Captains a few weeks back along with discussions in TS so you can deny it all you want and think im "embellishing" the situation, it happened.

Cool story. Where's the report? Obviously it didn't matter to the person if there was no report made.

I'm trying my best here, but you're not giving me much to work with unfortunately.

Chow Mein likes this