V2 won't save the community, only YOU will

Hello! 

Please don't flame me friends/nerds; I just want to explain to you guys why we can not reach 60% max capacity on weekends and why the owners / admins of this server are chasing the wrong goals.  

v2 is not going to change anything... 

I started playing on this server in January - August 2015 when a super popular streamer played on it and I wanted to try it because of said steamer. I fell in love with this server and had so much fun on CIV I quickly applied to cop, went through my week long application/training process, and played that too. I remember every night I used to log on and play so much having a blast on cop and then i would switch to a different server 1 or 2 or 3 (i mained 4) and cause chaos on my civ account with friends and have a blast. 

Fast forward to 4 years later; the servers are 20-50% max pop and mega disappointing to play on.

What happened?

Here is my opinion (its just my opinion.. take it easy).. 

1) the server is not a "light" roleplay server anymore..

this server is a gangs vs. cops server...You play in a gang, or you play on cops, or you don't have fun. RDM is rampant on the server and anyone new joining is going to have a terrible experience once they log on and guess what.. they are never coming back and they are never telling their friends about this server. The RDM in all areas is out of control... I don't know how you fix this without putting player admins in place as no one gives a shit about this anymore as the server is taken as a joke... 

2) the number 1 rule of APD is to promote roleplay... and they ABSOLUTELY do not do that*******

Cops log on and its bank, fed, prison break, kavala for 20 mins then server reset. repeat. It is cops vs. robbers 24/7. 

The problem is just the server direction. No rules are enforced. There is no punishment for Fail-RP.. too much work to report people etc...

Additionally; no one tells cops that there #1 job is to promote RP in game. You log in as cop and you get maybe 5 minutes of RP and you are then zerging a bank its the same thing every time. 

RP on cop is very hard (not for me) but for most because it requires patience and most cops are children / immature / impatient / misguided / playing cop for the wrong reason. When I log on cop I run with my weapons holstered.. I am NEVER the first one to fire a shot... and it is very discouraging most of the time. "Hands up or die" then I'm shot in the face after one second will happen 9 times out of 10. I will get someone who is actually interested in RPing and talking 10% of the time and it is usually a fun experience for 10 or 15 minutes then its back to the regular crap. 

Unfortunately there are no viable solutions to this (in my opinion) aside from desire to play on the server, which we no longer have. Back in the day when Lirik played (I think 4 or 5 years ago? maybe 3?) we had 4 servers packed at 100/100 during peak hours and you had to log in with a macro... the high desire to play on the server made much better RP because you did not want to get banned, you were there for fun and people wanted to play on the server; that feeling is gone now.

A possible solution would also be to allow cops to not have to respond the the bank/fed/prison breaks. When you have 7 or 8 cops on during peak times why should we have all of them at the bank, then fed / prison. This means that there are no cops in any cities or on highway patrol. This means the civs just rule the cities themselves and the RDM goes rampant and it makes a terrible experience for civs. This means that the 1 or 2 people that are logged on for the first time have a negative experience within their first 1 hour of playing and never come back. It is so important for this server to be new player friendly and unfortunately it is the complete opposite of that. 

Yesterday I logged in on cop, there were 7 other cops on, server 2. I think it was 8 cops and 41 civs when I logged on. All 7 cops were in one channel grouped up doing something in the HWpatrol HQ. Server restarted and we did a briefing in AirHQ. 3 FSA members attacked us during briefing and we killed one and downed another the last one ran. For the entire next hour, the other 7 cops were chasing this one FSA guy to that island in the middle of the map lol; they just kept chasing and dying and chasing and dying. I went to Athira channel alone, patrolled Athira and actually found some decent RP. I found some guy with a 60k bounty and I holstered my weapon and talked to him. He was explaining his charges and during that he told me "i can't believe you are listening to me I never explain my charges because there is usually no point as I just get full ticketed or sent to jail". We had a fun time and I gave him a 10k ticket and for the rest of the server uptime he would see me and say "Yo RonnyB!" and the other civs saw that and didn't RDM and they talked and interacted and Athira was fun for a server cycle. 

What I would do at this point for a quick fix, which would work, is change the cop salary from $155/5min to like $3-5k/5min. Then, make sure they understand their number one job is to promote role play and also make Fed/Bank/Prison optional or just put a 1 or 2 life rule on it and that's it. When a Corp+ sees cops bunched up, reem them out. Ensure the cops are in cities patrolling and promoting RP, if they are not, blacklist them. This would make cop desireable to play on; at this point the only way to make money on cop is to ticket and kill... why should that be the case? Increase their salary, change the direction from ticketing/killing to promoting RP and enforce it. Less tickets, less jail, less killing, more RP and cops still get paid. 

TLDR; read it sorry 

Ghost0fDawn and Bad Samaritan like this

The server not crashing constantly will undoubtedly help breathe life back into the community. However, the fact that Arma 3 is now approx. 6 years old means less and less new people will be looking for Altis Life servers. Along with that due to the past state of the servers all of those new people who tried to play are further discouraged to ever try and play on Asylum again, especially so if they don't follow the progression of v2 on the forums.

I'm just re-stating what has already been expressed on here multiple times over. If you think the individuals who still play on the servers are at fault for any past/present/future failures of server/community revival I, and I'm sure many others, disagree with you completely. I'm glad you voiced your opinion though.

Kawaii likes this
23 minutes ago, Dr_Dingleberry said:

The server not crashing constantly will undoubtedly help breathe life back into the community

you right.. but the server aint that bad.. but just a tad... 

However, the fact that Arma 3 is now approx. 6 years old means less and less new people will be looking for Altis Life servers. Along with that due to the past state of the servers all of those new people who tried to play are further discouraged to ever try and play on Asylum again,

They will / can come back if we stop being toxic as a community and welcome new players

especially so if they don't follow the progression of v2 on the forums.

Get your head on straight...NOBODY cares about V2(V2 is not going to chance anything in terms of player experience).. the people looking forward to V2 are the people who lurk on this server and big gangs that have nothing else to do...V2 will not be fully released for another 1 year IMO well before this server is dead... they tried to fix "lag" and other issues but nobody cared about that... maybe the gangs and police joined up for another helmet but no one else cares... the new players etc..

I'm just re-stating what has already been expressed on here multiple times over... better cop RP... limit gangs... more player admins... and we can have a successful server.. if not we can just watch it die 

Edited by RonnyB

@RonnyB While I agree with your final point that there is a definite lack of RP in the APD and a need for more active in-game staff working proactively rather than retroactively, I disagree with the majority of what else you have said including: the horrible server performance not factoring into a loss of players, the Asylum community being toxic/not welcoming enough for new players (show me one light RP Life server that is), a limit on gangs,  and that "NOBODY cares about V2." 

In an effort to not repeat my previous post I'm only going to focus on your negativity towards v2... First of all to say that nobody cares for the new mission file, or is appreciative of the countless hours of work that @Jesse, @Azeh, and @Gen. Henry Arnold have put into it in order to revitalize Asylum, is extremely unwarranted, disrespectful, and quite absurd. Have you even been on the forums recently? The amount of disappointment regarding the previous missed release date (estimate) alone shows the vast support and excitement among the community for this to be released (check out these posts to see what I'm talking about). Next, your claim that "v2 will not change anything in terms of player experience," directly contradicts the purpose of the new mission file and shows your ignorance towards what has been/is being developed by their team. Perhaps you should go read up on what their initial reasoning was for starting this project here.

Also shout out to the staff who have helped test v2 as it has progressed, and to the people testing now on Server 3. Perhaps you should go play on it to see the improvements, eh Ronny? 

Bad Samaritan, BlackShot and Bherky like this

V2 is gonna bring back Asylum.

For how long who knows, but it's success seems quite good considering the relatively low stakes bugs that are in right now. For a complete re-write of the file, seems pretty fantastic to me.

I'm actually disappointed it isn't released already considering how good the features for QoL and server crashing has been rekt entirely.

I partially attribute the lack of RP with people dealing with the terrible server performance over the years. Almost everyone I know who rarely plays/quit because of the poor server performance. While new content should be on the horizon in the coming months, there's no point in releasing that when it can't handle 85 players as of this moment in time. I would also say that the increase in toxicity that many of you have seen over the years has something to do with a lot of people becoming so jaded. For a long time now, whether you were fighting cartels or RPing out of a bounty there was a semi decent chance the server would lag and/or crash. Obviously that ruins the whole experience and often time causes a loss of gear in some way.

This is getting fixed and with it getting fixed I believe we have a damn good chance at seeing the best in people come out once again.

Bad Samaritan and Fried Rice like this
Just now, Madlibs said:

You realize he earned his spot right? He didn't just buy that money or script it in. He actually worked out a system of success on achieving those financial goals. 

By being a little scotch running bitch. It's easy to make money when you abuse the gang system and you have half the server in your shit little gang. 

Just now, [Patho] Landon said:

By being a little scotch running bitch. It's easy to make money when you abuse the gang system and you have half the server in your shit little gang. 

Abuse how? No one fights cartels right now aside from a hand full of people. The main point of being in a gang is to make money/fight. Besides that, Leroy had a shit load of money prior to DH growing to its current level. Leroy doesn't even take a cut out of gang bank, he gives it to the people who fight cartels....

Bherky likes this
2 minutes ago, [Patho] Landon said:

Someone seems a bit upset. who knows why tho. Maybe if you actually tried to grind, instead of being a squeaker troll, maybe you'd have better success.

:kermit: thats none of my business tho

1 hour ago, Madlibs said:

Abuse how? No one fights cartels right now aside from a hand full of people. The main point of being in a gang is to make money/fight. Besides that, Leroy had a shit load of money prior to DH growing to its current level. Leroy doesn't even take a cut out of gang bank, he gives it to the people who fight cartels....

none of your would fight a real gang when one comes back. fucking droids.

TAZ and [Patho] Landon like this
On 8/10/2019 at 10:52 PM, RonnyB said:

Hello! 
no.

Please don't flame me friends/nerds;
we're already off to a bad start.
I just want to explain to you guys why we can not reach 60% max capacity on weekends and why the owners / admins of this server are chasing the wrong goals. 
admins=/=owners
owners=/=devs

v2 is not going to change anything... 
says you.

I started playing on this server in January - August 2015 when a super popular streamer played on it and I wanted to try it because of said steamer.
brool cory sto
I fell in love with this server and had so much fun on CIV I quickly applied to cop, went through my week long application/training process, and played that too. I remember every night I used to log on and play so much having a blast on cop

and then i would switch to a different server 1 or 2 or 3 (i mained 4) and cause chaos on my civ account with friends and have a blast. 

Fast forward to 4 years later; the servers are 20-50% max pop and mega disappointing to play on.

What happened?

Here is my opinion (its just my opinion.. take it easy).. 

1) the server is not a "light" roleplay server anymore..

this server is a gangs vs. cops server...You play in a gang, or you play on cops, or you don't have fun. RDM is rampant on the server and anyone new joining is going to have a terrible experience once they log on and guess what.. they are never coming back and they are never telling their friends about this server. The RDM in all areas is out of control... I don't know how you fix this without putting player admins in place as no one gives a shit about this anymore as the server is taken as a joke... 
 record and report.

2) the number 1 rule of APD is to promote roleplay... and they ABSOLUTELY do not do that*******
I'm not sure you are aware of the definition of "absolutely".

Cops log on and its bank, fed, prison break, kavala for 20 mins then server reset. repeat. It is cops vs. robbers 24/7. 
if that's all that you are looking for then that is all you are going to see.

The problem is just the server direction. No rules are enforced. There is no punishment for Fail-RP.. too much work to report people etc...
the problem is you are lazy af. it literally takes about 1-20 minutes to report someone. if you really want to do something about the server not fitting your needs then fucking step up and report the rule breakers. if you dont report them then nothing can be done about it.

Additionally; no one tells cops that there #1 job is to promote RP in game. You log in as cop and you get maybe 5 minutes of RP and you are then zerging a bank its the same thing every time. now you're lying.

RP on cop is very hard (not for me) but for most because it requires patience and most cops are children / immature / impatient / misguided / playing cop for the wrong reason. When I log on cop I run with my weapons holstered.. I am NEVER the first one to fire a shot... and it is very discouraging most of the time. "Hands up or die" then I'm shot in the face after one second will happen 9 times out of 10. I will get someone who is actually interested in RPing and talking 10% of the time and it is usually a fun experience for 10 or 15 minutes then its back to the regular crap.

:fail:

Edited by Sp0on

@RonnyB Sorry no one takes this post seriously. What makes a life server are the people in it. It's not like Rainbow Six Siege where the experience you get is packaged within a defined rule-set and mechanics, but life relies heavily on the people in it and the attitude they bring. I for one would like to have a much more lengthy discussion on fresh spawns, new players, and how Asylum is completely unfriendly to new players, if not outright repulsive.

Now that V2 is here, Kavala is just "kill freshspawns." and before I get the "iTs KaVaLa jUsT LeAvE" its the #1 place new players will end up, and the server is specifically targeting anyone with no gear on them. Kavala has always been a hell hole, but it used to be a hell hole where you could learn the ropes, get tied in to running weed as a startup, meet and learn fishing/excavation, run the risk of robbing/getting robbed on the areas legal activities, you even used to be run in with the cops in Kavala. It was a hell hole where you could interact and do things that all came with pretty high risk, but you had interaction, and that brought people in.

Kavala now is *spawn in, maybe hear initiation, which is irrelevant anyway, and get shot.* You are not going to find people there who want to teach you the game, you are going to find shotguns running through everyone because the server rules and community outlook has accepted the idea that just shooting people is the name of the game.

Nobody wants to actually talk about this. This community and anyone with any power will just ignore this issue, and the community itself tends to throw out toxic slander about it.

V2 so far is nice on paper, but its just a mission file. Just like you say, if you aren't in a gang or a cop, you don't have fun. That's summed 100% We should not be calling it asylum life if this direction continues to be the acceptable norm. Just rename it to Asylum Cops and Rebels. Honestly, its not even the RDM that's the problem. RDM happens. But it's the constant "Hands up or die" meta the server regulars come in and do every single day that's going to prevent new players from getting any bearing.

as for you devs @Clint Beastwood @Azeh Sorry your community can't have intelligent discussion on any topic relating to gameplay and just spits in your face over everything.

Edited by Ghost0fDawn