A way to see you in game stuff on forums

25 minutes ago, DJScias said:

Hello there,

Unless we had some sort of system that binds your player ID to your forum account and also a means to make sure you can't input a different player ID than your own this won't be happening sooner or later.

Kind regards,
DJScias

Is it just me, or did DJ drop a hint of what he is working on next? :P

26 minutes ago, DJScias said:

Hello there,

Unless we had some sort of system that binds your player ID to your forum account and also a means to make sure you can't input a different player ID than your own this won't be happening sooner or later.

Kind regards,
DJScias

You could find a way to link your Steam account with your Asylum Forum account

19 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Lets not and say we didn't.  

What do you see as cons about this system, if I may ask?

I mean, ArmA 3 functionality is all stuck to the player id and this is something that Steam provides us.. Using Steam Authentication you could make a very secure link that only allows you to get your own player id and use it after authenticating. It doesn't sound too bad.

Kind regards,
DJScias

20 minutes ago, DJScias said:

I mean, ArmA 3 functionality is all stuck to the player id and this is something that Steam provides us.. Using Steam Authentication you could make a very secure link that only allows you to get your own player id and use it after authenticating. It doesn't sound too bad.

Kind regards,
DJScias

11 hours ago, DJScias said:

Kind regards,
DJScias

I can put my player id on here and nothing can happen to my steam account. I link my steam account and if the website gets compromised again then my account is at risk. 

Just now, Ricky Spanish said:

I can put my player id on here and nothing can happen to my steam account. I link my steam account and if the website gets compromised again then my account is at risk. 

The steam Auth API only pulls information found here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Web_API#GetPlayerSummaries_.28v0001.29
More info about the API can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/dev

It does a check using the OpenID protocol and then allows you to pull the above from said user.. Which includes, but is not limited to, current steam name, player id, avatar (various sizes), real name (if set), etc.. At no time is there ever any sort of mention or relation to the passwords for these kind of things. You authenticate on steam's website and the password stays there.. Steam just sends our website (or another website) a token that says "He wrote the right pass, let him pass".

So no, your steam information can never, ever, ever be compromised if we get hacked.. Considering we never get any login details from your account.

Kind regards,
DJScias

BSuzinator likes this