Hostage Situation in Sofia- A retelling from the criminal's perspective

As far as I'm aware this all happened in what APD refers to "Precinct 1". 

The incident happened on a particularly warm evening on April 6th. I was a member of a fledgling gang known as the Altis Militia. The leadership consisted mostly of rookies and punks, but there were a few good kids willing to make a dirty dollar and pull a trigger.

We rolled up on Sofia following our usual Heroin run. If it wasn't Synergy, it was some other gang trying to knock us off near processing to steal our hard earned medicine. We were war weary and ready to cash out. 

Sofia wasn't the usual quiet Altean town we were used to when we rolled up. No, the pops and snaps instantly cued us to the action happening in town. Bounty hunters and a pair of police were exchanging fire with a couple bambis. 

Now I don't need to tell any other scumbag like myself how APD's ROE works. Basically you might as well summarize it with "If you see them, you're in the wrong place and it's the wrong time". In an effort to "stabilize" the situation APD immediately begins engaging our boys and before I have a chance to shout "ceasefire" they get lit up by our flanking party of about five. Before you know it, the boys in blue are laying in red. 

I try to help our rather naive leader at the time, Krypt get control of the situation. It's sloppy. He's a good kid, just green. We know APD isn't going to sit on this situation. They're on their way. Walsh has the idea to set up a roadblock. Hunter Wilcox helps arrange the units and Doc Holliday (who went by "Cole" at the time) begins assigning position and overwatch orders. The first civilian shows up to see our hurried planning and it dawns on Overway. "Hey Fett."

"Yeah?"

"Let's get some leverage. These guys could be hostages."

Within seconds each civilian in Sofia not affiliated with our gang is rounded up, surrounded by six heavily armed men screaming "Hands up!" like a broken record. I count the heads. Five hostages. We ziptie and stuff them in an abandoned building nearby with a guard.

I make the call. Not yet knowing the leadership in the APD I call an officer named L1on. I explain our demands: monetary compensation for the resources lost in the previous gunfight and clearing of our charges. "One second," he replies, and the line goes silent. I call back, "You have five minutes or we start killing hostages." 

"Go ahead," he replies.

First hostage dragged out. Some kid named Donavan, I think. He's shaking. He's right to be scared. I not at Walsh and he pink mists the kid. I call APD back. They wisely redirect me to their commanding officer at the time, "=FaceRecka-USAF=". I hear his voice on the other end. The tenor is calm and commanding. He sounds logical and willing to listen. I explain my demands again. 

"Listen Fett, APD cares about our citizens and the wellbeing of the hostages you have. We are willing to negotiate. These men have families, wives, children. Do you have children?"

I snort. "Fuck no." And continue, "You're probably wondering why the hell we're even doing this. This ain't personal. It's business. And your shits cost us business in Sofia. We're sick of being caught up in APD business that has nothing to do with us."

FaceRecka is levelheaded regarding the situation. Instead of taking the bait into argument he simply replies, "I understand. We'll send a chopper with myself and one officer. We will be unarmed. I handle these situations personally. I will deposit the negotiated amount when we have determined the hostages are well. After the deposit you will turn over the hostages to me. We can end this amicably."

This guy is good. Professional. I quickly agree to the deal and explain it to the gang. Some murmurs ripple through that we should kill the hostages anyway. Or fight the police. One of the younger gang members, Radi3al, shouts over the group insisting the police are here and flanking us. Turned out to be a rabbit. Krypt seems caught up in the emotional torrent and the only person in this operation resembling a leader is Taylor until I stepped up to handle negotiations. Taylor tells them all to quiet down. 

Overway, Walsh, cole and I exchange glances. We're used to higher speed shit than this. I take a moment to explain to the hostages that they will be able to go home safely and, assuming they follow my commands I will ensure their safety. "We can all walk away from this alive. There doesn't have to be a poor outcome." The hostages seem relieved.

Minutes later a hummingbird bearing APD insignia descends into the center of our arrangement. I'm nervous some of the lesser disciplined members will lose their cool. Radi3al is fidgeting in the corner. Taylor quickly tells him to relax. 

A man in a military-style beret and APD officer gear approaches me. We salute. I show him the condition of the hostages, proving that they've been unharmed. Around this time Overway spots a few contacts approcahing. SWAT gear. I stress to the Constable that we don't wan no trabble. He explains that the SWAT is a failsafe. I reiterate that we can all walk away from this. 

Hostages exchanged and the helicopter begins ascending. As it banks and slowly circles the dusty down, our situation begins circling the drain. The officer we spoke to before, L1on, starts approaching several of our heavier-armed gang members insisting they turn in their weapons. Alpha and Radi3al can't handle themselves at this point. They start engaging in the shittiest verbal repartee. “What are you going to do PIG?” “You see these guns? How bout you fuck off?” they squeak.

Great… Taylor stays frosty and watches as several officers start flanking. Walsh, near the DMV has seconds before an officer starts screaming for him to put his hands up. A pop, flash, and Walsh is downed instantly as green tracers arc through his body. L1on, not realizing this, turns and opens up with his F2000.

Right as the helicopter rounded the corner. Blue on blue. The rounds hit the cockpit, causing the helicopter to careen to the ground. As L1on is subsequently lit up, we listen to the massive explosion as hostages and police alike succumb to the crash.

Fire is exchanged between SWAT and the lesser armed and armored gang members. Most of the gang are downed before we are able to talk. Medics swarm the bodies, trying to recover their lives through hastily applied burn medication and defibrillators. The situation finally calms and we’re able to leave.

Despite the hiccup, all hostages were sent home. I pass out the money to the gang and put several member’s share in the gang account (which, to my irritation, was drained the following day). Could have been cleaner, could have been better, but thanks to the levelheadedness of a few good APD officers to get the situation under control, we all walked away happy.

http://imgur.com/a/G0H4I

Face Recka, Rag, bigjohn561 and 2 others like this

What? You called Turtle to begin with sir not me. Second your gang members threatened spencer and I by saying "You have 30 seconds to get out of sofia or you're going to die while raising illegal weapons at us that the negotiating officer let you keep. Lastly you didn't add the part where half of you combat logged after being downed.

Edited by L1on

@L1on No offense man. I'm just telling it as I remembered it. If I called turtle first, I'll edit it!

Sorry for the confusion. Regarding the combat logging? Yeah. Fuck them. One of the reason me, walsh, and overway left the gang. The whole incident was a ton of fun and nearly ruined by a few immature personalities not willing to RP. 

I think you were a good RPer, despite aggravating the situation.

DreamC likes this

I am very glad we got to have a good RP experience. The rebels who took over Sophia was a challenging situation I was being pulled in every different direction on how to deal with this situation but I stuck to my hero values that I learned form Sgt Tanner's very intensive  hero training. I knew I had to get those hostages back to safety that was priority number one so I stuck to my guns we had a successful outcome every one walked away from the situtaiton  hostages were freed back to there families and my new found respect for the commanding officer J.Fett and his crew.

Constable FaceRecka 

@J.Fett Its always a pleasure when hostage situations arise with you and the fellow members of your gang. Sorry yesterday was not so pleasant. Unfortunately we had 5 different things all going off at once. Bank/Fed/Prison and 2 hostage situations. Yours at DP 11 and another in Sofia. We were stretched very thin. Then my Reshade for Arma 3 crashed and I had to redownload the game.

Hope to see you around some more for some great RP encounters.