White-listed Medics w/ Talent Rework

This is my first post, I've played before off and on, but only lurked on the forums. When I came on a few days ago after jumping on EMT, I thought this was really a disappointing idea. I've been mostly on #2, and tried to be a good medic and citizen -- the thought that I'd likely not be able to be an EMT with not much play history to show was a bummer.

But then I got VDMed by my fellow Medics. A lot. Today I was ran over a tleast 15 times while healing people, all by my fellow medics. Not the "oops, sorry" bumps you get during even extreme lag; the 90kmph in Kavala, turn the wheels and aim for you sort of VDM.

I imagine there is a reason they aren't whitelisted, and I wont pretend to know better. But with such a limited slot amount, when four of the online medics are VDMing, that's a bad situation. 

Edited by blaylocke
2 hours ago, blaylocke said:

I imagine there is a reason they aren't whitelisted, and I wont pretend to know better. But with such a limited slot amount, when four of the online medics are VDMing, that's a bad situation. 

According to what I've read and heard, Paratus wanted people to be able to play medics without having to go through the whitelisting process. Since cops are restricted and already have to do that, he wanted to give players the opportunity to play a different side of things without having to deal with that. However, unfortunately that led to issues like the ones you're describing.

I support the idea of whitelisting medics, because while the freedom is nice, I don't see many people using that freedom, just abusing it. Being able to blacklist users who abuse that power would reduce the number of abuses remarkably I believe

@Killswitch I am also totally interested in helping get this off the ground should it become a thing.

Edited by ATF MG007

+1 I feel as if Medic's are taken for granted *cough* Real Life Medic *cough*...

Aside from that, throwing my knowledge out there, as far as vehicles, there could be more implemented such as car/truck (SUV)/Box Ambulance/helicopter (this order for lowest to highest to create a "tier system". I also think the sirens should be toggle-able rather than wait for the cycle, maybe more sirens also? (We use a basic siren that everyone knows, then at intersections use a different faster "chirping" siren, and the occasional air horns) This may be hard to do, but possibly bind them to F, G, H or even F, H, K for spacing, F being the generic siren, the next being the "intersection" siren and the last being the horn, if anything the intersection siren would be nice, the air horn could get annoying, but restrictions could be placed for how much you can use it, such as "only able to use 15 seconds (in total so could do straight 15 seconds or multiple adding up to 15 seconds). So 15 seconds every 5-7 minutes? The horn could be thrown out of the picture but the two different siren options (generic/intersection) would be nice (one turns off automatically if the other is toggled on).

Makes levels similar to real life for a better role playing feel (First Responder/EMT/EMT-A (A=Advanced)/EMT-P (P=Paramedic)/Combat Medic (again this order as it follows real Medic levels (aside from the Combat Medic). Basic First Aid could be done by First Responders resulting in minor cash. EMT+ could use defibs. EMT-A could do Blood Bag. Medic could do everything but pull patient from vehicle. Combat Medic could be vehicle oriented/Armored vehicles. Helicopters/Armored vehicles could be restricted to only allow those without weapons in/nobody can use trunk but Medic. More simple yet, only those under "Medic" may enter.

I like the idea of creating timed missions for a organ harvest as many people respawn. This would keep the "down-time" to a low, (though it can be highly realistic, though sometimes you are too busy to even sit). Mobile selling vehicle (holds a quantity) would be nice for side profit/ease-of-access for those not wanting to travel to hospital for a inflated price.

People take Medic for granted for many reasons such as the "down-time" between calls, lack of skills, and lack of vehicle options. I believe an update would make people more prone to playing as a Medic, which is something always needed to create homeostasis in the game.

Just ideas of mine, some that were stated in previous posts (credit to previous posters, I was simply adding it in my own for understanding purposes, they should receive the credit).

Your Real-Life Medic, 

-Jake :)

Edited by Castiel
Accidental post before finished. New Idea.
Heidelberg likes this

i think that this is a great idea. +1 With white list in place i think it would be a good idea to re-implement  non-lethal weapons for EMT's. Its a hard job anyway, p07 would help working in the cities where hobos are always trying to rob you for your shirt and defib. I realise that some feel this contradicts the Hippocratic oath of doing no harm, but as a  emergency first responder, we often have to go in to dangerous situations where sometimes doing a little harm (downing a violent criminal) could save lives before they are lost. 

Jalapeno likes this
10 hours ago, Dr.Strangelove said:

i think that this is a great idea. +1 With white list in place i think it would be a good idea to re-implement  non-lethal weapons for EMT's. Its a hard job anyway, p07 would help working in the cities where hobos are always trying to rob you for your shirt and defib. I realise that some feel this contradicts the Hippocratic oath of doing no harm, but as a  emergency first responder, we often have to go in to dangerous situations where sometimes doing a little harm (downing a violent criminal) could save lives before they are lost. 

Medics do not possess such weapons, as they are under the Department of Transportation not Department of Corrections or anything allowing weaponry. I don't think EMT should be given weapons, even non-lethals. If anything were to be implemented, I think it should fall under "Combat Medic" which I posted previously, but APD (who are white listed) get the guns and can revive at the same time (kind've taking the glory from the Medic roll) but the only way I would support this is if it were labeled Combat Medic, and you only needed white listed for use of said Combat Medic.

I feel this would need deep discussion and I am open to talk about it as I would like to see a change in the Medic role and would be happy to mold something into place with others.

I know I already posted, but I've been an EMT pretty much non-stop since I came back to the game (James Archer -- Server 2). I wanted to sort of comment on everything from a newbish perspective, because while you're getting a lot of +1's, so much thought went into this it deserves a lot more. 

Ranking Structure

For the ranking structure -- This is fantastic. The only thing I would suggest (and I admit to it being borderline pointless) is another rank. That sounds superfluous, but, speaking at least for myself, there is something about moving up. I imagine Medical Director will be few and far between. Something to fit between EMTs and Medical Directors (Maybe Paramedic?) could probably help in the achievement mindset that gives people a lot of satisfaction in moving up. Maybe a bit too cuddly an idea, and I wont be bothered either way.

Rules

These are great, and common sense. #7 is doubly important, as I've noticed while playing that there will be a ton of medics on, and using the talent I have to see EMTs, I can see they are trailing people and capturing stuff with gangs. I suspect it's one of the reasons I've been shot on site several times -- people assume I'm a gang EMT. 

I would though suggest holding off on #3. I will shamelessly admit that after a day of flying all over Altis in a helicopter, it's something I will never do again unless something like the Organ harvesting comes about. I have zipped along Altis at 280km in my heli, crossing huge chunks of territory only for the person to respawn with three minutes left on their timer. Usually at the price of missing several calls in Kavala that I could have been a block or two from if I hadn't tried to be a real EMT and helped people around the map. 

I beg you not to implement #3 without implementing some sort of relief for medics who try to traverse the map to help people outside of Kavala. Right now there's 0 benefit to leaving the city, which is a real shame. I love the organ idea.

As far as rules, I'd also love if the microphone thing was enforced. We've got radios and direct chat and as it is now, most medics (obviously, most are trolls right now) don't use them. I haven't used teamspeak, probably should, but there aren't many medics I've actually been successful in coordinating with, mostly on account of them being gang medics/not using or having a mic. 

Talents

Awesome, love the list. The only thing I would worry about is Master Combat Medic. It makes complete sense, but unless the powers that be are 100% certain they can root out every "corrupt" EMT, this would be incredibly OP to have in the wrong hands. As long as you're confident that it will be dealt with though, this is awesome -- I'm always bummed when someone gets RDMed twice and I can't pick them up again. 

Small things to fix/add

Sirens are sweet now. Thanks for whoever did that. The option to drag the unconscious would be incredible. I've showed up on a scene of someone dead in the road, went to heal them, and then the person who VDMed before I got there swings back around the block and mows me down too. Anything that helps make the helis worth it would be awesome. 

When someone actually clicks “request medic” they should not be able to respawn for a set period of time. 

and

Increase death timer to 8 minutes or so

God Yes. Or at a minimum organ harvesting. 

Random Suggestions

Being able to sell medical supplies in the field would be awesome. Although since we are unarmed, if they are items we are paying for ourselves, it may make us even more of a robbing target. 

I'd love to see non-EMT defibs be more of an issue as well. We definitely have the advantage as we have the items and what not, but we shouldn't be SO easily replaceable. I admit to not knowing off hand how much defibs cost rebels, but the prices for civvies should be significantly high enough to make the EMT a better option in all but the most dire of cases. 

And the oath looks fantastic. 

Edited by blaylocke

@Killswitch @Paratus @bamf

I completely agree with everything you've said, from the whitelisting to the organ harvesting.

Something that would make it better would be making it like a delivery mission. Once a player harvest the organs and you take it to the nearest hospital/clinic. However, payout should be based on the distance a player would have to travel. Time/Distance should determine the payout. An organ should be given randomly like in excavating where you have random chances to get rare items. So in terms of organs lets say you click harvest and you get a heart, a heart has high priority and the pay should be like 1.5k per km player would have to travel. And lungs would be slightly lower... etc.

Honestly, If this goes through screw the APD i'll become a full time EMT . :D 

A couple of suggestions from me.

We all know medics in Asylum always get taken advantage of, how about the Medical director gets to carry a firearm? Like Mk20, MK1(highly unlikely Just a suggestion) However this weapon would only be used under certain circumstances.

I'd also love to see a Medic Mohawk: what would also be cool is if we could use those containers that DP missions are used for and use them as mobile clinics that can be used by EMTs and Civs. These containers can be picked up by a Large helicopter and dropped in the scene of an accident. Since it is mobile, prices should be increased by like 20% and a portion of the money should go towards the EMT who deployed the mobile station. For example 15% of all total purchases made during the operation of the mobile clinic.

Would love to see these changes implemented.

The trick is to suggest ideas,be told that it wont happen,leave asylum for awhile & return,then everything will be implemented.....This fucking happend with a Modded Server,I posted a suggestion to make a modded server for almost a year,Everythime admins would say "We dont want a modded Server because it will reduce population because people have to go download mods",then i stop playing for awwile & come back to a Modded Server that people have no problem downloading mods for....Fuckers lol

All that aside,i've seen thousands of post about whitelisting medics,made a few myself,hell there were even admins & trusted Communty memebrs that said they would lead it.But we always got the "Whitelisting Medics would just put more work on the Admin team" so who knows,maybe you will be the lucky one.

Edited by Infamy

As an all time Medic in servers 4 & 2 I greatly approve of this idea, I find it annoying when I usually patrol between pyrgos and athira and always see every other medic in Kavala, sending dispatches to tell them to split up, having randoms come in and abuse the medics gives a bad reputation than the asylum paramedics already receive. I would greatly love to sign up given the chance, everything about this is with the bug fixes and what not is fantastic and would like to see Medics white listed in the near future. The ranking structure is greatly listed and you definitely deserve to be the head of it. 

I like it, massive +1 from me.

The rank structure does look a bit inadequate. Possible rank structure could be:

Chief (chief)
District Chiefs (captain)
Relief District Chief (lieutenant)
Advanced Practice Paramedic (sergeant)
Paramedic (corporal)
Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (constable)
Emergency Medical Technician (cadet)

In all honesty I like the idea that EMT should be whitelisted but in reality I think it would kind of suck because there is so little cops online due to it being whitelisted I presume and the fact you have to go through a lengthy process to become one so I think if you add this in then if the admins and no staff can watch players and ban them for RDMing and VDMing how on earth could they blacklist players for abusing there EMT job.

I have only played this server for maybe a week max and have found that being a EMT for the most part is the best, only issues I have with EMT is that I get killed way to often by everyone when I am only trying to assist players in need. I have flown countless hours to help people only to get there and no one is there, or if they are there you fly into a active police war or gun fire that makes it almost impossible to leave the area. 

If anything I would make it to where you can parachute out if your a co-pilot for EMT ground support so we do not have to land in hostile locations, and make it to where EMT's have some sort of non-lethal protection whether it be a stunt gun or anything. Also repairing vehicles and everything gives you no money at all im not trying to be greedy but the only time you make money as a medic is when someone dies and its terrible pay considering the fact you pay more for the heli to bring it out and make no money at all and you have to pay for your car every 10 mins. "Average cost of a Medic in Kavala = 1k max start up, Experienced Kavala medic= 250" Average cost of a Medivac= 5250 start up, experienced medivac= roughly 3-4k due to expensive gas" I am not trying to complain but leaving Kavala rewards absolutely no incentive 9/10 the person respawns no matter who they are cop, civ, rebel and so on.

Btw as of right now here are the EMT payouts

Reviving = 800

Paycheck = 45 every 5 mins

what it should be or considered 

Reviving = 1-1.5k

Vehicle Repair = 100-400

Pain Killers= 30-80

Splint= 50-400

Bandaging = 10-50

Adrinaline Shot "Have never once used this" = 100-300

In general, make it worth being a medic & force players to stop respawning if a medic accepts their request, along with a waypoint indicator and map if possible. Allow a separate chat that EMT's can talk to dead people so we can inform them we are on our way. I really enjoy being a medic I wish there were more job opportunities and more talents. I do think that EMT has its good points and abusive points maybe for EMT's we already have make it not as hard as new users to get whitelisted because I would love to be a Cop and EMT whitelisted. I just feel like there is way to many toxic players to only worry about whitelisting as a solution. There honestly needs to be more staff in general if possible even if they are undercover mods with little or no authority. Promote more in game reporting and maybe a reason players should report rather then making it a chore, maybe even a incentive for catching toxic players with a ingame reward or something "WatchDog = 2 verified  videos = Temporary immunity or something you guys get the picture. It could be any reward in game, because ive seen some people say id report but 2h of upload isnt worth my time "MAKE IT WORTH THERE TIME"

Overall the idea is very good though you state a ton of really good points, but I think the lack of medic slots and support would be an issue because 6 full time medics would be hard to cover 21,000km. 

+1

On 6-5-2016 at 4:34 PM, Crow said:

I like it, massive +1 from me.

The rank structure does look a bit inadequate. Possible rank structure could be:

Chief (chief)
District Chiefs (captain)
Relief District Chief (lieutenant)
Advanced Practice Paramedic (sergeant)
Paramedic (corporal)
Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (constable)
Emergency Medical Technician (cadet)

No, 3 ranks were fine.. Medics have a simple job that doesnt require so much supervision or authority. 

New person > Medic > Medic leader (Representative/rule maker/Leading all lower ranked)

• 2 years later...