Bored of cartels? Try roleplaying.

What's up friends.

Boris here, your local Insanity gang member with an above average shot and absolutely no idea how to fly an orca.

I'm sure many of you have noticed Asylum changing into a more fight-orientated server, with less and less banks/prisons, and more NA time cartels complete with exploding ifrits, DDoS in the middle of a fight, and Alt-F4'ing after being shot off window rocks.

Boris misses the old days. When Lirik would bring massive server traffic, or when FSA would kidnap people and make roleplay videos. Maybe roleplaying a fed with BB on S3, or just straight up getting into Kavala shenanigans. Hell, I originally joined the police force because a cop was roleplaying taking someone's weed for personal use, it was funny, and I wanted to get in on that. I don't remember his name, it was almost 2 years ago, but still, the memory is there.

So i'm doing something about it. I dropped my MK18, took off my ghillie suit, and stuck on a straw hat and backpack. Then I went to Kavala and I started looking for people to roleplay with.

And it's been a huge success.

In 24 hours i've...

1)Gone on a weed field trip with SnappedPOX and Denise, 2 fresh players.

2)Watched TRAV get pistolbanged out of his hummingbird in the weed field.

3)Watched Snapped shoot Denise in the head for making too much noise at the drug dealer.

4)Dodged cops through the city of Kavala with a rook and a dream.

5)Turned an offroad of weed into a box truck of heroin with a chain smoking russian who loves to steal things.

And it's been the kind of fun that I used to have when I first found Asylum.

I'm not telling everyone to take a step back in time, but just try it, don't roll around with your gang, clear your bounty, grab some civ clothes and interact with people you meet. Try and get a cop to give you a ride, kidnap people and force them to accept 10k in exchange for murdering someone, either create or join interesting roleplay scenarios for you and new players.

Every new player you create roleplay scenarios for could become the next admin, captain, or community manager, and you could be the person who makes that happen.

So go out and have fun with new players, old players, or just have fun in general. Forget about money, forget about cartels and gangs and bounties, just roleplay and have fun.

d535956f7e.png

10/10

Before becoming an admin it was all about brotherhood and my gang and hanging out with those guys.. I pissed myself laughing most the time and at that time thought it couldn't get better. I got admin and things have gotten better, and I'll tell you how. If you have seen me in game you know I mostly pick up randoms and fly them(badly) around or I'm picking weed with a random guy I picked up at the peach field. It took me away at how cool life could be helping people, and not always robbing them. It made the game experience for me fresh and innocent again and I really encourage you guys to get out there and find that random guy that doesn't know anything. Now be careful where you find your random, don't think the first guy you pick up at Kavala square is going to be a comedian, but keep trying you will find the diamond in the rough that will RP you away!

BioHazard, Olivia, Rodrigo and 6 others like this

20/10 thats why it can be so fun hanging around Kavala makings friends with random people. Once rolled around UC in Kavala and picked up three guys, pretending to be TV crew and film me and interview suspects as we roll up to the weed fields and joke around. 

Or once I picked up 5 random guys from kavala and got a medic fly us to rebel and gear up with rooks and went off doing  a bank. 10/10 would do again. 

Snatch and George like this

Honestly, the RP that ensued on the original Server 5 was main reason you heard so many people heartbroken when it was shutdown the first time. You'd think it would have been a major hell hole, but DHM, Jailbait, the APD, and the civs all (well most all of them) had a level of RP that just immersed you into the server. Sometimes you still get that feel in Kavala, but it is far more rare than it should be. 

I applaud Boris for putting his Ghillie in the closet. Pistol banging can bring so much more joy than a MK18 if you let it. Especially, if that pistol is a P07. 

Give it a try fam, you might just like it!

This thread makes my heart so warm and delicious. If I knew how to shoot, I might do it more often, but since I don't all I have is my white shirt and fedora, and some creativity. It's fun and less stressful. 

Fyi, if you very see me with a gun, I only carry it to pick up on the ladies....which I still haven't found. ;-)

2 minutes ago, Padrinos said:

This thread makes my heart so warm and delicious. If I knew how to shoot, I might do it more often, but since I don't all I have is my white shirt and fedora, and some creativity. It's fun and less stressful. 

Fyi, if you very see me with a gun, I only carry it to pick up on the ladies....which I still haven't found. ;-)

legend.

23 minutes ago, TRAV said:

10/10

Before becoming an admin it was all about brotherhood and my gang and hanging out with those guys.. I pissed myself laughing most the time and at that time thought it couldn't get better. I got admin and things have gotten better, and I'll tell you how. If you have seen me in game you know I mostly pick up randoms and fly them(badly) around or I'm picking weed with a random guy I picked up at the peach field. It took me away at how cool life could be helping people, and not always robbing them. It made the game experience for me fresh and innocent again and I really encourage you guys to get out there and find that random guy that doesn't know anything. Now be careful where you find your random, don't think the first guy you pick up at Kavala square is going to be a comedian, but keep trying you will find the diamond in the rough that will RP you away!

huehuehuehuehue

The APD is the front face of the server, and a servers roleplay will only be as good if the APD puts in the effort. If a server has a terrible police force that doesn't roleplay, well that will reflect on the rest of the server.

Initially before I decided to move here and bring what was left of RED, I was testing the waters on other servers. S1 police was the main reason I wanted to fully move over the Asylum. It was always a pleasure roleplaying with police on Server 1. Unfortunately, there is a lot of people in the APD that ruin it for every one else. If you want to know what I mean, go roleplay with police on Server 3. We all know these guys, the Robocops, the Donor Town campers, the Money hungry guys, and its a shame I have seen a sudden increase in these types of cops in the last couple of months. When a new player comes across these cops and sees that behaviour, well they will assume its fine and carry on playing like that hence reducing the quality of roleplay on the server.

But putting all this aside, Asylum has truly done a amazing job with some level of RP I have seen here. This is coming from someone who was apart of a very strict RP server for 11months. There's just something about Asylum where the players are much more creative. Even though the general RP is terrible, the odd times you do encounter someone who knows how to Roleplay, it becomes much enjoyable then RP from those servers that enforce it.

Edited by Haych
Olivia likes this

Im sure i speak for a few people when i say i really dont like to roleplay. I found this server after playing dayz mod and dayz standalone, those games gave me adrenaline i never really had before. cartels is the only place i can sort of relive those days. I just dont find talking to people all that fun. ive been playing here for about 2 years, and i can count on one hand how many enjoyable RP scenarios i have been apart of. Dirty randy and Mr9mm were the only people to make me genuinely have a great time while rping.

Tiger likes this

This literally reminds me of my second day on the server, I’m trolling kavala trying to find something to do and I ran into a random guy named lightsout, we talk for a while and introduce ourselves, and then a convoy of 3-4 zamaks roll past us, and lightsout promptly says “Dude lets go rob that” and I reluctantly accepted. So we proceeded to pull out a quadbike for each of us, and then each buy a rook. We chased the zamaks all the way to weed processing and proceeded to wipe them out, a group of 4 unarmed guys running weed, I felt like the biggest piece of shit ever but it was all around amazing. I miss stuff like this sometimes.

Heidelberg likes this

Def agree, roleplaying can be more fun than cartel fights, less stressful for sure. However I feel like now that things have been more orientated to fighting and combat scenarios, cops have become so money hungry, no matter what roleplay I do even if it's really good one they will either not even let me explain my charges or give me a full ticket no matter what. I think it needs to start with the cops first.

RedNecked likes this
47 minutes ago, TRAV said:

10/10

Yeah, thanks for the lift yesterday. You are lucky you didnt get banned for VDM :kappa:

100% agree. God damn I now realize how golden the days of thinking you were always forced to roleplay with everyone otherwise you'd get kicked out was. It was actually really fun. 

I think the first step towards this server becoming more role-play oriented is for the constables to realize that going on cop is not to make money back from lost cartel fights but to role-play from a different perspective.

Heidelberg and Olivia like this
2 minutes ago, Treeherder said:

I tried this last week and how was I rewarded? Well a certain admin speed bombed my orca while I was RPing with salt miners. Is RP worth losing 100k? Well that's up to you if you go try this. 

The whole point of the thread is to promote going and rping more if cartel life is getting boring, not coming on here with salt 

19 minutes ago, L1on said:

The whole point of the thread is to promote going and rping more if cartel life is getting boring, not coming on here with salt 

My point, since you are incapable of discerning it for yourself, is that the current system is set up to reward you for fucking other people over and generally being a cunt in game. If the community wants more RP there needs to be a systemic change to promote it, not discourage it.

Sheriff Rick Grimes and Haych like this

The very reason most of us put all of this time into the servers is because we had those amazing rp experiences. Asylums unique rp is what captivates so many people to come back again. Lets face it, so many altis life servers have the guns, they have the vehicles, the money making system. In fact, you can argue that other servers have even more access to weapons.  But its not just features and cartels that keep asylum ahead, its the rp experience. Heres the one thing to remember, new people dont come back on the servers to do cartels, they dont have the money or knowledge to do it. They come back because they had some kind of compelling interplayer experience. Thats why we should try to reach out to those newbies.

Update:

I invented a new game called double or die.

They start with 1000 dollars, with each right question, they double their prize cash.

If at any point they get a question wrong, they take a rook bullet to the chest, which may or may not kill them.

The questions get progressively harder, and it's super fun.

You do get arrested after you end up accidentally rack up a high bounty though. Probably should've seen that coming.

Olivia and HotWings like this

People need to stop pointing fingers at each other blaming the other for bad rp/failing to rp.
My main mindset rule when I interact with players is to remember we are here to have fun and what I can do to make their experience on asylum better.

Some people say that there needs to be mechanics in the game to increase RP, but I just see that as an exscuse/loss of imagination. 

RP doesn't just have to be a conversation, go out there and make the best of it. 

One of my best RP experiences is when regiment kidnapped me and my cadets. They made me have trial by combat duels with them. I wept as I shot down each one of my cadets for their amusement. I was released back to pyrgos HQ naked jumping out of a chopper with a parachute.

Best asylum roleplayers @Tae'Jon @Padrinos

Olivia, TaeJon, BioHazard and 1 other like this
3 hours ago, The Monopoly Man said:

People need to stop pointing fingers at each other blaming the other for bad rp/failing to rp.
My main mindset rule when I interact with players is to remember we are here to have fun and what I can do to make their experience on asylum better.

Some people say that there needs to be mechanics in the game to increase RP, but I just see that as an exscuse/loss of imagination. 

RP doesn't just have to be a conversation, go out there and make the best of it. 

One of my best RP experiences is when regiment kidnapped me and my cadets. They made me have trial by combat duels with them. I wept as I shot down each one of my cadets for their amusement. I was released back to pyrgos HQ naked jumping out of a chopper with a parachute.

Best asylum roleplayers @Tae'Jon @Padrinos

I still remember when you pulled me over for smuggling babies right before I stole you police car to get out of town. So much fun. 

And was that you who responded to the gas station robbery where I had like 10 new players I armed with smoke grenades?

Olivia likes this
Just now, Padrinos said:

I still remember when you pulled me over for smuggling babies right before I stole you police car to get out of town. So much fun. 

And was that you who responded to the gas station robbery where I had like 10 new players I armed with smoke grenades?

I do remember responding to a gas station robbery where i thought a gay pride parade was going on, but I have bad memory so I couldn't tell :P

2 minutes ago, The Monopoly Man said:

I do remember responding to a gas station robbery where i thought a gay pride parade was going on, but I have bad memory so I couldn't tell :P

Talking of gay gas station robberies.

I can't remember their names, but I responded to a robbery that turned into an hour long roleplay session in which the criminal revealed himself to be the gay lover of his partner, and we then had to talk him down from the construction building because he was so ashamed of hiding his feelings and sniffing his partner's balaclava to get closer to him.

It was hilarious and original, I completely forgot about their bounties until they'd both thrown themself off the construction building.