We're changing data centers

bamf

Just now, Tiger said:

I'm pretty sure it's ddos:frog:

Actually, OVH has had a sustained DDoS attack (not necessarily directed at us, but at other OVH customers) so it likely is DDoS (just not in the way we thought).  I was in a meeting with Radware yesterday, and someone has been hitting OVH with a DDoS attack utilizing a botnet of iOT devices.  So @Tiger I think we very likely are affected by that. ;)

Just now, bamf said:

Actually, OVH has had a sustained DDoS attack (not necessarily directed at us, but at other OVH customers) so it likely is DDoS (just not in the way we thought).  I was in a meeting with Radware yesterday, and someone has been hitting OVH with a DDoS attack utilizing a botnet of iOT devices.  So @Tiger I think we very likely are affected by that. ;)

Now I'm just sad, Thanks:FeelsBadMan:

Alec-I likes this
21 minutes ago, bamf said:

Everyone-  

As some of you may have noticed, there appears to be a syncing issue for server 1 in particular.  What you are likely not aware of though, is that server 1 was moved to a new data center recently as a test to see if our issues related to BE time outs was data center related instead of something in the game.  After several days of testing, it appears that server 1 is much more stable than the other servers.  Given the positive feedback and data we have collected from S1 during this testing period, we have decided to move all of our servers to this new data center host.  

We hope to have the servers provisioned for us today, and if all goes well we hope to launch completely in the new data center sometime tomorrow.  

The servers in the new data center have higher clock speeds and all have SSD storage.  This is an upgrade of our hardware since the servers have been on the same hardware for a year now.  

There will be a short period of downtime while we migrate the full database to the new data center.  The forums and game servers will be affected for that time period.  So if you come to the website and it is offline, that should be us moving things over to the new data center.  

Thank you for your patience while we move the services to the new data center.  

Bamf

Well looks like I was right when I said OVH was trash all along. Haych, GTA probably has a much more expensive hosting option than Asylum used. Their average Xeon servers are decent but their network is always DDOS'd, I experienced the same thing when I bought servers from them for Altis Life, Exile and KOTH. 

@bamf PLEASE put one of the servers (preferably #4) in Western USA! I'll even donate monthly if you do. Also check my PM to you :D

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz
Haych likes this
7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So, will compensation be available for those who grinded on server 1? Will storage crate contents sync over? :/ 

Yes, once we get settled we can look at that.  The only real issue here is cash itself.  The things that are server 1 specific will be sourced from the DB at the new data center as we complete the migration.  

7 minutes ago, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

PLEASE put one of the servers (preferably #4) in Western USA! I'll even donate monthly if you do. 

Maybe we can look at doing that eventually.  I rushed through the replication setup trying to minimize downtime across all the servers, and there is something that just isn't 100%.  I'll set it up in a lab before we do this again (if we were going to put game servers in other regions for instance) and make sure that the replication works the way we want it to.  

1 minute ago, Patrick James said:

I would assume you guys pay a company to host the servers? They're not being run on systems you've built correct?

Correct.  Even if they were things I'd built myself, we'd be in good hands.  I've designed and run data centers many orders of magnitude larger than the infrastructure used for Asylum.

1 minute ago, bamf said:

Yes, once we get settled we can look at that.  The only real issue here is cash itself.  The things that are server 1 specific will be sourced from the DB at the new data center as we complete the migration.  

Maybe we can look at doing that eventually.  I rushed through the replication setup trying to minimize downtime across all the servers, and there is something that just isn't 100%.  I'll set it up in a lab before we do this again (if we were going to put game servers in other regions for instance) and make sure that the replication works the way we want it to.  

Hell yeah, thanks for looking into that! This is some great news from Asylum, I'm looking forward to the migration and as I said, if we do end up with a Western US server, I'll donate monthly to keep it going. 

P.S. If you get time, please look at my PM. 

29 minutes ago, BioHazard said:

I'm guessing this will fix the problems with cop whitelisting? Cadet who passed his RA hasn't been able to be whitelisted as constable for days. :( 

This is a separate issue (again SteamAuth), but we can get that fixed shortly as well.  Our focus right now is on the move, once that is done we'll have time to get this things like this.  

BioHazard likes this
3 minutes ago, bamf said:

This is a separate issue (again SteamAuth), but we can get that fixed shortly as well.  Our focus right now is on the move, once that is done we'll have time to get this things like this.  

so this move will be soon? Possibley within the next week? Also will this affect the splunk stats?

Edited by |Cam|