Change log 7.9.0

bamf

59 minutes ago, massi said:

if you RP and you get a full ticket, chances are you got robocopped

Or chances are you're a fucking douche who just murdered 6 people with completely fail RP just to earn a bounty (and big penis) and the cops know you're about to do it again because you think you can just tell the same old stupid lie/rp story to get away, rinse and repeat.

Also who gives a shit about how good a GUI looks as long as it works.

Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz likes this
22 minutes ago, bamf said:

The GUI stuff really is a PITA to do.  I would love to see something different as well.  I'll see if maybe we can start thinking about that...

Start a donation run similar to what you do with Splunk, just advertise it more and make sure the rewards are good enough. I'm sure it wouldn't be to costly to bring in a short time developer who knows how to work with Arma UI to make something good. I'm sure you can get in touch with the OPTiX or the Developers of End Days Tanoa who are incredibly talented in GUI work for their servers. Many servers do something similar, they will start the month with a Donation Goal and the reward being something the community really wants, once the goal is reached, the community is rewarded. Not only is this another source of income, it can be done with many things. $600 Goal for Coloured Ifrits, $800 Goal for GUI redesign, $500 for new Cop vs Rebel activity, etc.. etc.. You get the Idea. 

It can be done with any in game item, any reward, literally anything as long as it is rewarded to everyone, not just people donating, doesn't breach ToS and a amazing way to bring in more money

Feenix, Sandwich, Will and 3 others like this
52 minutes ago, bamf said:

Not necessarily true.

^

Come up with something outlandish.  This is a great chance for you to practice just making stuff up.  Make it somewhat believable though for the best results.  

One thing I've learned in life is that the best lies have an element of truth to them.  Try using that philosophy in game...

Have you considered creating a backstory for Asylum Altis Life so that users can read it on the forum and base RP around it? I realize not everyone will know this but eventually it will catch on, especially if there's a welcome message advising new players to follow a link and read up on it and to craft their RP around it.

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz
Crossfade likes this

Nice patch and all but are we going to try and fix the frequent crashes or am I just going to have to learn to live with them? We're nearing a year with persistient lag. It's come to the point where I rarely make money anymore because the servers always end up fucking me over.

I mean shit, the fed bug fix in this patch is amazing when the servers can actually not go down when one is happening

I think I speak for the majority of the community here when I say I'm tired of this shit reoccurring. It's just getting worse and the servers are oftentimes unplayable. 

What's the point in adding all of these new features if you can only experience them a quarter of your time on the servers because they're always going down? Can we just focus on the main issue at hand?

Edited by explicit
bunni, Haych, Pentax and 1 other like this
4 minutes ago, explicit said:

Nice patch and all but are we going to try and fix the frequent crashes or am I just going to have to learn to live with them? We're nearing a year with persistient lag. It's come to the point where I rarely make money anymore because the servers always end up fucking me over.

Hasn't even been close to a year. maybe 5 months.

3 minutes ago, Goldy said:

also when you get a text message, the bar disappears off of your screen.

Should be fixed now?

I'm guessing that "8 cutRSC" will override "BIS_fnc_Notification" priority of 7.

I could be wrong.

12 hours ago, Haych said:

Start a donation run similar to what you do with Splunk

Well the community responded very poorly to that "donation run" as you call it, so I'm not sure how well that would work out.  Even for something as incredibly useful as Splunk has been to the APD (but really the whole community).  

25 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Tried both situations multiple times and it didn't work. Twice I heard the clack-up sound but had to use the scroll menu as they were not restrained. 

This did work on dev before going live.  Perhaps there was some lag potentially?  We will double check it though...

1 minute ago, bamf said:

Well the community responded very poorly to that "donation run" as you call it, so I'm not sure how well that would work out.  Even for something as incredibly useful as Splunk has been to the APD (but really the whole community).  

Why not have a page on the website for it and a pinned topic so it would be easy for people to see and find?

3 minutes ago, bamf said:

People will donate for things they like, just look at donation ranks (pre fix) as an example

9 minutes ago, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

Same, I downed a player and the hot key never worked so I had to resort to a clunky scroll wheel option.

Partially probably my fuckup.

Hold shift when using the User4 hotkey. I copied the code because for some reason; this is in two places.

Probably just going to scrap Shift+R and only use the User Action.

Honestly, for this whole time I've been using the scroll wheel option. I even tried to adapt myself to the hotkey, but I simply didn't like the fact I had to reload my weapon every time I pressed it. I know it can be changed by using Custom Controls, but I chose not to mess with that.

Either way, I can say it's not that pain in the ass as some are thinking. It's just about practice and habit.

2 hours ago, bamf said:

Issue with the Splunk donation is that most of the community don't know the importance of Splunk. Having it in your signature and stream overlay won't get it enough attention to get people to donate. Get it put on the frontpage, CM makes a important announcement post about it, you inform the community about the importance of it, people will donate. 

Now apply those to rewards that people really want, people will donate regardless. It works for much smaller communities, why wouldn't it work here?

BlackShot, Azeh and BioHazard like this
2 minutes ago, Haych said:

Issue with the Splunk donation is that most of the community don't know the importance of Splunk. Having it in your signature and stream overlay won't get it enough attention to get people to donate. Get it put on the frontpage, CM makes a important announcement post about it, you inform the community about the importance of it, people will donate. 

Now apply those to rewards that people really want, people will donate regardless. It works for much smaller communities, why wouldn't it work here?

Yeah most people who donated for Splunk were Sgts including myself. Most civilians don't know how big a role Splunk plays in keeping this community running, such as providing sync logs to combat exploiters or gathering data on player population and trends.

Edited by BioHazard
Haych likes this
14 minutes ago, Haych said:

Well; The APD Splunk drive didn't even make great progress with, well, the APD.

Course; I also heard that they were spun a tale from someone I won't name; so there's that as well.

12 minutes ago, BioHazard said:

Yeah most people who donated for Splunk were Sgts including myself. Most civilians don't know how big a role Splunk plays in keeping this community running, such as providing sync logs to combat exploiters or gathering data on player population and trends.

We're currently sitting on 1.7 Billion indexed events, with 51 Million of those being Synclogs.

Just now, Von Buns said:

Custom key 2 no longer opens the item pickup menu

Yes, it does.

if (_code in (actionKeys "User2")) then {
	if(!_alt && !_ctrlKey) then
	{
		if (life_alive) then 
		{
			if(player getVariable ["restrained", false]) then {
				hint "You cannot pick up items while you're restrained!";
			} else {
				closeDialog 0;
				createDialog "life_pickup_items";
				_handled = true;
			};
		};
	};
};

^ That is unchanged for about 2 months.

Just now, Gnashes said:

Yes, it does.

{
		if (life_alive) then 
		{
			} else {
				closeDialog 0;
				_handled = true;
			};
		};
	};
};

That's weird, might be a bug on my client's part. I tried changing what it was bound to and it still did nothing.

Just now, Gnashes said:

Yes, it does.

{
		if (life_alive) then 
		{
			} else {
				closeDialog 0;
				_handled = true;
			};
		};
	};
};

Sometimes it does not work. I look at the floor and press the key and nothing happens. I've never tried to soft log and see if that fixed because I usually notice it during fights.

Monster likes this