Let's talk about the BE kicks

bamf

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

There we go, some communication, progress!

now can I be removed off of modqueue for trying to get community managers to bring it up, thanks

This may shock you; but the Community Managers have zero knowledge or ability to do Development related things.

You know, all of this stuff.

Just now, Gnashes said:

This may shock you; but the Community Managers have zero knowledge or ability to do Development related things.

That's not what I nagged them for, I nagged them to speak to the community, to let us know something is being done, if we aren't told that you guys are trying to fix it then we can only assume nothing is being done.

You know, 8 months of this stuff.

3 minutes ago, Reapered said:

I'm typically retarded when it comes to the subject of stuff like this, but is it possible in anyway that the mass kicks usually happen around full server times because a lot of fighting typically happens during those times. Like could ifrit smokes and constant fighting *overload* the servers in any way. plz dont roast if this is a stupid question 

He said that it happens more on peak time, Like the weekends.

13 minutes ago, Mr Smirnoff said:

@bamf so lets say you have an unlimited budget and can get the best server possible would that help this in any way? If you get the server with the most ram possible and best CPU would performance improve or its not going to make a difference? 

No it wouldn't because the ARMA server is 32-bit at the moment with a max allocation of 2 GB. BI is working to update the 32-bit portion to 3 GB while the 64-bit server will essentially remove the aforementioned limitation entirely. So in short, they aren't even using the ram they have right now.

Just now, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

No it wouldn't because the ARMA server is 32-bit at the moment with a max allocation of 2 GB. BI is working to update the 32-bit portion to 3 GB while the 64-bit server will essentially remove the aforementioned limitation entirely. So in short, they aren't even using the ram they have right now.

Oh I see servers sitting at around 2gb ram all the time pretty much. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Smirnoff said:

Oh I see servers sitting at around 2gb ram all the time pretty much. 

Pretty much and as @bamf explained its why the kicks happen, once the 2GB threshold is crossed. BI addressed this as well here: https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-64-bit-executables

Speaking of memory, let us translate these huge numbers to something more understandable. In the vocabulary of computer memory, 2^32 can be translated to 4 gigabytes while 2^64 equals to 65 petabytes. In simplistic terms, a 32-bit system can physically address at most 4 GB of memory. On top of that, the address space of a 32-bit application running on such a system is usually split in two parts. On Windows, each of them is 2 GB. One is reserved for your applications, the other one for Windows itself.

An important side effect of having larger address space is that we expect fewer memory-related crashes to happen. With no free memory, sooner or later the game (or any other application for that matter) is bound to reach a state where it simply has no other choice but to cause us all sorrow. Memory limits are set in stone; whether a crash is caused by a GPU driver or Arma itself does not really matter from a player's point of view. Trust us, there is nothing more painful then seeing you sad because the game crashed. In 64-bit Arma, this should be less likely.

However, although it is true the support for 64-bit has yet to hit our Main Branch, we decided to give you all at least something as a small appetizer. Starting with Update 1.66, when run on 64-bit Windows, 32-bit Arma 3 will be able to effectively work with more than just 2 GB of memory. The current limit has been increased to 3 GB. Magic, yay!

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz
BlackShot likes this
4 hours ago, Gnashes said:

You shouldn't use semicolons with conjunctions. I can't take your mildly aggressive posts seriously when you insist on misusing a glorious form of punctuation. I just don't want typos in new features :)

But I digress, thank you for the communication and insight into the problem. 

ProjectGemini and BlackShot like this
On 16/12/2016 at 2:34 PM, Gnashes said:

I'm amazed Haych hasn't been in here yet. He's been the most vocal person about the BE Kicks.

@Haych; where you at brother?

I'm pretty much done being vocal about it because i've been going on about it for the last 7-8 months. At this point, i'm just hoping it gets fixed so I can start playing Asylum again. My only worry is, what if the 64 Bit and other methods mentioned doesn't resolve the issue, what's going to be next? Lets just hope it does.

Nice to see that you guys are being more vocal about the matter, it was long due and hopefully it gets better from now on. Don't forget @bamf, you have 2 CM's who would probably love to know more about server issues and such so don't keep them in the dark, they can't do their job if they aren't being told anything.

edit by devran: i dont know why haych cares so much about asylum the retard doesn't even play he's supposed to be playing overwatch but he's on here typing out long paragraphs going into detail about BE kicks like it even effects him, ive found that hes increasingly getting more and more retarded can the admins ban him on the forums i need the old haych back.

Edited by Haych
Azeh, Slayin, BlackShot and 6 others like this
5 minutes ago, signal said:

Well, instead of trying to revive tanoa there could possibly be another altis server set in place with a lower server population (80-90) and seeing if that opens up and relieves some of the BE kicks. This would also reopen up housing to many people trying to purchase exclusive homes. @bamf

Even if this isn't a permanent solution. +1 

Sandwich likes this
6 hours ago, Will said:

Memory leaks are associated to this yes. But is usually down to a coding error. The memory crashes that happen every so often are to my knowledge an effect from the recent patch. Because of the memory issues we have with allocation this then causes it to be more noticable on life servers especially because of the amount of variables life servers use.

I posted a reply to someone else about the memory leaks here which goes into more detail.

I had memory leaks before the newest patch. But now I can tell when i'm going to get them. It happens after about 1 1/2 hour of game play i'll usually get a fake mem leak after the first 45 min, then it'll go into another fake one after the second one it'll do the real one.

2 hours ago, Vanilla Coke said:

Now, with that out of the way, is there any reason for the ridiculous amount of mem leaks I've been experiencing in the last week or two? I have a feeling that it's probably a Bohemia thing, as it started happening after their last patch, but maybe you guys know something more? Just looking for some insight.

It is a Bohemia thing, been playing on other servers and I kept on getting them. I updated my drivers, updated my performance binary, and changed my parameters to -malloc=jemalloc_bi. Haven't had a mem leak in like a week now.

42 minutes ago, Will said:

If you can pin point when they happen like if it occurs always when you exit a vehicle say as an example it would be very useful in identifying the source :)

i dont get them that much like everyone else, but normally if i exit a vehicle and start shooting or if someone starts shooting towards me seems to be the most times that i get them.

@bamf @Olio I recommend putting this announcement on a banner on the front page if you want it to have more visibility for the whole community to see, you lot should use that feature on IPBoard more often. If no one bumps it, no one reads it like most announcement posts because they get buried quick as Change Logs are always more popular. Montages get more views than important announcement posts for this reason , +1 for more visibility.

for example 

2dXXRhm.png

Azeh, Eyad and Nightfury like this
On 16-12-2016 at 8:31 PM, Vanilla Coke said:

Now, with that out of the way, is there any reason for the ridiculous amount of mem leaks I've been experiencing in the last week or two? I have a feeling that it's probably a Bohemia thing, as it started happening after their last patch, but maybe you guys know something more? Just looking for some insight.

same thing to me, yesterday was insane for the 4 hours i played i had atleast 4 memleaks

On 12/16/2016 at 1:31 PM, Vanilla Coke said:

I was watching a stream of an Olympus dev last night and he said its very much an issue there as well. They just call it a texture bug over there.

Just now, Gnashes said:

Arma tweaked one of the memory allocators last patch; my guess is they redid something to be more optimized on it; and it shit the bed with other allocators.

It's definitely stock Arma. Memory leaks on the client result from client issues. AUS was no different; the issue there was in a clientside mod.

Do you know of any memory allocators we can use to prevent from mem leaking because I looked at a police hunter wrong?

57 minutes ago, House. said:

Do you know of any memory allocators we can use to prevent from mem leaking because I looked at a police hunter wrong?

I was getting more memleaks with the default arma 3. Switch to one of the latest performance builds I've gotten 2 mem leaks in the past week rather than 4-5. Also fixes any FPS drops