How To (Hopefully) Reduce Memory Leaks

BlackShot

I know a good amount of people know it already. For those who don't, this guide is for you. If you have been facing too many memory leaks recently - a.k.a. FPS drop, FPS lag, invisible items/people - we'll try to change your memory allocator. Just follow the simple instructions below.

1. Open your game launcher
2. Click 'Parameters'
3. Go to 'All Parameters' tab
4. Scroll down until you see 'Memory allocator' option
5. If unchecked, check it and select 'JEMalloc_bi' on the drop-down list
6. Launch your game and test your new settings

arma3launcher_2017-01-13_10-55-15.png

Hopefully changing your memory allocator is either gonna fix or reduce your memory leaks.

ObamaBlinking.png

Edited by BlackShot
2 minutes ago, Silver-Spy said:

I am not having mem leaks after the latest path but ty for your help man

You're welcome!

Some of my friends were still facing memory leaks too often. I know this workaround has been *around* for a while now, but many people still don't know about this memory allocator stuff. So I thought it would be easier to send them a link with all the instructions instead of telling every single one of them what to do. ;)

Edited by BlackShot
Mr. Linux and Silver-Spy like this
6 minutes ago, Fr0ZoR said:

Never knew this existed, even after searching on how to fix this issue, or at least make it not as bad. I will be doing this when I am back home in couple of hours, hopefully this works, thank you for the nice guide.

This workaround was usually something very spoken of. But I personally haven't seen anything written anywhere. Hopefully more people will get to know about this. By the way, please let me know your results! You're welcome!

:)

Mr. Linux likes this

If I increase my resolution to 2560 x 1440 after approximately 1 hour of gameplay frames will drop to 5, character will do odd movements and it will not recover.  I have to shut down Arma and log back in for normal play.  No issues at 1920 x 1080.  Any suggestions other than gaming at 1080?  Sorry to hijack a post just seemed like you guys maybe able to help.

Thanks

Just now, BSquare172 said:

If I increase my resolution to 2560 x 1440 after approximately 1 hour of gameplay frames will drop to 5, character will do odd movements and it will not recover.  I have to shut down Arma and log back in for normal play.  No issues at 1920 x 1080.  Any suggestions other than gaming at 1080?  Sorry to hijack a post just seemed like you guys maybe able to help.

Thanks

That sounds like memory leak. Have you tried following the instructions at the main post?

Mr. Linux likes this
Just now, Midamaru said:

Yes, for me having no allocator is currently best.

JEMalloc gave me a high amount of mem leaks on CQC servers and lower fps on Asylum.

Both with and without i have the same amount of memory leaks on Asylum.

Thanks for the feedback. In my personal case, it seems like I'm getting less FPS on Asylum (nothing scary), but my memory leaks are basically gone now. Very rare to even face one in a day.

Edited by BlackShot
Mr. Linux likes this
Just now, BlackShot said:

Thanks for the feedback. In my personal case, it seems like I'm getting less FPS on Asylum, but my memory leaks are basically gone now. Very rare to even face one in a day.

Yeah very strange issue in general.. 

Eitherway for the people that still experience memory leaks after trying this fix, also try the other allocators.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...