A possible start to fixing the BE kicks

I was playing on some exile server with a few friends and a bunch of people including my friends but not my self got mass kicked. An admin said in a global message shortly after that it was due to the server not restarting for some reason after 9 or 10 hours and they just didn't notice. What I also found out is that they hard restart every restart. The frames aren't to great on there because there is a lot of mods and the map it self is just not good for frames. What I did notice is there is very few connection issues even when there is 70 people on the server. The only time I saw it mass kick like that was when it didn't follow the restart pattern it was supposed to. I'm not trying to advertise to server or community. What I am suggesting is that Asylum switches to only hard restarts to hopefully decrease the battle eye kicks. It's an inconvenience compared to soft restarts but I think we will grow to appreciate the servers better performance in the long run. After all, it's what the admins do when a servers performance isn't doing so well to prevent it from crashing, isn't it?

TLDR: Add hard restarts to increase performance. 

.Sean likes this
1 minute ago, Boris said:

This has already been considered by the staff and isn't something they're moving forward with at this time.

the hard restarts with 10 minute warnings are extremely annoying aren't they? Wouldn't you rather have less of those and more consistent hard restarts that you know are going to happen with much more warning? I suppose I shouldn't be asking you as if you don't agree, maybe you do maybe you don't. You get my point though.

We have scheduled Hard Restarts as well. We also keep a close look to server memory to help improve and remove the BE kicks, when the servers are at a certain memory point that's when we hit a non scheduled Hard Restart to try to avoid the mass kicks. I know they can get a bit frustrating while you are trying to do something. So far it has been helpful for the servers but we are still on the look to get rid of this problem.

33 minutes ago, PublicEnemy said:

This is a forum suggestion to stop mass kicks. I know the staff is doing their best and the players really appreciate that, but it is still a valid suggestion that needs to be considered.

We have actually increased the amount of hard restarts being completed. Bamf and Paratus will increase as needed. There has been a reduction with the increase already. We have to keep a healthy balance of regular and hard restarts to help players try to retain items that get lost with a hard restart.

GraduateArc8298 and BlackShot like this
1 hour ago, Olio said:

We have actually increased the amount of hard restarts being completed. Bamf and Paratus will increase as needed. There has been a reduction with the increase already. We have to keep a healthy balance of regular and hard restarts to help players try to retain items that get lost with a hard restart.

Y'all might not remember this, but the old life server Seal Team Sloth had an issue with kicks aswell. They made the restart timer so short the entire population left the server because they were all hard restarts, and people were left in the middle of Altis without a car. The server needs balanced restarts.

@Olio I'm using your quote because you have more credibility on the forums, hence the pretty yellow "Community Manager" tag

1 hour ago, Olio said:

@Olio

Edited by Steve

Sorry I have to make 2 posts my phones Web browser crashes when I tag people. Olio which server mass kicks the most? Why not try hard restarts only on that server and only that server and see how much of a difference if makes? I believe it is worth at least a try considering how long this has been going on.

Edited by Steve
grammar
1 minute ago, Steve said:

Sorry I have to make 2 posts my phones Web browser crashes when I tag people. Olio which server mass kicks the most? Why not try hard restarts only on that server and only that server and see how much of a difference if makes? I believe it is worth at least a try considering how long this has been going on.

There is not a server that has the most kicks, it just depends on how much memory is being utilized. With 64bit hopefully coming to server side soon,  I think the Dev team is going to continue with how it's being done at this point. We have seen a lot less mass kicks since the admin team has been heavily monitoring each servers memory utilization. This past weekend when we were full I played on two separate servers for 3-4 hours each with no issue or mass kicks on either. Again the issue is balancing hard restarts in order to effectively allow players to go get some drugs throw them in a car and return from a restart with the ability to recover said drugs, vs losing it all.

@Olio , @Gnashes

I wonder if there is a way to write a script that can detect the current memory use of the server and spit out maybe some kind of message on that server -

Reason being: Admin in Splunk could see the message and proceed to do a 10 minute warning w/h a hard restart due to server memory.

You may even be able to find out the amount that actually crashes it and set a warning like 15 minutes prior to shit happening.

- Additional implementations to improve whilst adding this would be a lot of garages out in the middle of nowhere that maybe spawn like a free quadbike so it isn't abused but is there for a rather last means of transportation.

- Maybe include something a long the lines 50-75% comp w/h of proof that you were in the process of making money while server had restarted due to memory problems.

50% if gathering , 75% if on the way to sell.

-

Right now we have is a memory dashboard that shows the current memory level, the admins update a script in order for that to push an update if it has not auto updated. Then once it gets to a threshold before a restart happens we will start a hard restart. The admins are doing a really good job juggling monitoring and restarting servers as needed. Sometimes there tends to be a spike that get missed but not that often.

Just now, Steve said:

I just think think the consistent hard restarts are a better option then random hard restarts with only a 10 minute warning. Those are extremely frustrating if you are in the middle of something such as a large run.

The issue lies in that people will take the "well I have to DC anyway" as a reason to stop playing.

It is also of my personal belief that any new player who sees there is a recurring issue of mass kicks is more likely to not play asylum at all as opposed to that new player seeing that the server has hard restarts every few hours.

I personally can't see how this could be not true. But please if you know I am wrong please say so with an explanation as to why I am wrong.

@Olio  

Edited by Steve
tagging olio now that i am at my pc
8 hours ago, Steve said:

It is also of my personal belief that any new player who sees there is a recurring issue of mass kicks is more likely to not play asylum at all as opposed to that new player seeing that the server has hard restarts every few hours.

I personally can't see how this could be not true. But please if you know I am wrong please say so with an explanation as to why I am wrong.

@Olio  

The mass kicks are no where near as frequent as they used to be. If we switched to hard restarts more frequently more people would be frustrated that their progress would not be saved. We will continue to keep a close eye on memory and make hard restarts happen when necessary. 

3 minutes ago, Olio said:

The mass kicks are no where near as frequent as they used to be. If we switched to hard restarts more frequently more people would be frustrated that their progress would not be saved. We will continue to keep a close eye on memory and make hard restarts happen when necessary. 

Players can see when a restart is going to happen on their phone long before it happens though, can't they?