Discussion - Masks are back! 7.9.2 Hotfix 3

What's everyone's opinions on having names hidden from afar? So far in my experience it's good for rebels bad for everyone else. Most certainly will increase role play in all aspects, though.

A little buggy still, had someone 10ft from me and still couldn't identify him.. lol

Edit 1 (adding information from @Gnashes about Masks):

Range at which your identity is hidden:

5 meters+

Masks that hide your identity:

Balaclava black ,Balaclavacombat, Balaclava lowprofile, Balaclava oli, Bandanna aviator, Bandanna beast, Bandanna blk, Bandanna khk, Bandanna oli, Bandanna shades, Bandanna_sport, Bandanna_tan, Balaclava_TI_G_blk_F, Balaclava_TI_blk_F, Balaclava_TI_G_tna_F, Balaclava_TI_tna_F

Edited by Bear 2.0
Just now, Bear 2.0 said:

What's everyone's opinions on having names hidden from afar? So far in my experience it's good for rebels bad for everyone else. Most certainly will increase role play in all aspects, though.

A little buggy still, had someone 10ft from me and still couldn't identify him.. lol

15 feet.

Just now, Bear 2.0 said:

Still havent tried but are masks like the bandanas or face mask or both 

Just now, Bear 2.0 said:

I believe, @Gnashes correct me if I'm wrong, it's full face masks only.

Uhhhh

life_masks = ["G_Balaclava_blk","G_Balaclava_combat","G_Balaclava_lowprofile","G_Balaclava_oli","G_Bandanna_aviator","G_Bandanna_beast","G_Bandanna_blk","G_Bandanna_khk","G_Bandanna_oli","G_Bandanna_shades","G_Bandanna_sport","G_Bandanna_tan","G_Balaclava_TI_G_blk_F","G_Balaclava_TI_blk_F","G_Balaclava_TI_G_tna_F","G_Balaclava_TI_tna_F"];

^ Those

In my opinion, it's a bit OP the way it is. Last night I was downed by at least 3 bounty hunters because they didn't know if I was the guy they were chasing or not. Initiation with helicopters and cars has become way more difficult. If you wanna get into a fight in a stealthy way you're not gonna be able to initiate with anyone with masks, so the only way is to push or to have someone to initiate for you.

As a first step on trying to balance them I'd suggest either adding talents (or editing the current ones) or even making masks rarer/one specific item. Finding out another way to initiate with Unknown people would also be a great thing. I have particularly seem servers where we could aim at the person, press a button and it would open an UI to send them a message (cursorTarget, @Gnashes know what I mean). But that should be a lot of work.

Edited by BlackShot
Treeontyn and Mr. Linux like this

24 minutes ago, Gnashes said:

Uhhhh

life_masks = ["G_Balaclava_blk","G_Balaclava_combat","G_Balaclava_lowprofile","G_Balaclava_oli","G_Bandanna_aviator","G_Bandanna_beast","G_Bandanna_blk","G_Bandanna_khk","G_Bandanna_oli","G_Bandanna_shades","G_Bandanna_sport","G_Bandanna_tan","G_Balaclava_TI_G_blk_F","G_Balaclava_TI_blk_F","G_Balaclava_TI_G_tna_F","G_Balaclava_TI_tna_F"];

^ Those

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I saw a civ run away from his buddy in the HQ because of it. Very awesome for UC. 

Hahaha I never thought of its' use for undercover officers!

21 minutes ago, henky said:

remove it. inc alot of rdm reports

Explain?

20 minutes ago, BlackShot said:

In my opinion, it's a bit OP the way it is. Last night I was downed by at least 3 bounty hunters because they didn't know if I was the guy they were chasing or not. Initiation with helicopters and cars has become way more difficult. If you wanna get into a fight in a stealthy way you're not gonna be able to initiate with anyone with masks, so the only way is to push or to have someone to initiate for you.

As a first step on trying to balance them I'd suggest either adding talents (or editing the current ones) or even making masks rarer/one specific item. Finding out another way to initiate with Unknown people would also be a great thing. I have particularly seem servers where we could aim at the person, press a button and it would open an UI to send them a message (cursorTarget, @Gnashes know what I mean). But that should be a lot of work.

I think it's cool for us that like to play rebel, but maybe be able to identify at a further range. Perhaps 10m? 7m?

Initiation with helicopters is going to have to be by warning shots I think. The best bet for Initiation is have someone initiate for you or get close enough to get the names  for you. 

Talents would be cool

Just now, henky said:

No need to explain right ?

People who receive a text message to put their hands up or get out don't know from who its coming if they are 15meters away. So they will just shoot every random civ they see.

You won't get a text, because whoever it is trying to initiate won't know who to text. You will have to speak in direct or get someone to run up and get a name. 

5 minutes ago, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

I think there will be a lot more mistaken rdm because of these masks. I think we were better off without them.

I think it will definitely add to the RDM reports, haha.

Just now, Maaqs said:

I like the idea of it. Hiding your identity from a distance adds a new variable/playstyle that people just need to adapt to. 

Don't be so quick to say "it's aids/remove it" simply because it's something new (well, re-added). :frog:

Yeah I like the idea of it. Hopefully we can help @Gnashes, @bamf, and @Paratus improve on it with some of our ideas :)

Pros - Someone can't text you from 300 meters while your spooling up your helicopter.

- Makes sense because theirs no actual way to identify someone from far away if their wearing a mask (we are an rp server guys come on) :frog:

Cons - I can't tell which gang member is which..

- Fuck rp hands up or die bitch 

- How do you report someone for VDM or someshit if their name is UNKNOWN

7 minutes ago, Quenton said:

Pros - Someone can't text you from 300 meters while your spooling up your helicopter.

- Makes sense because theirs no actual way to identify someone from far away if their wearing a mask (we are an rp server guys come on) :frog:

Cons - I can't tell which gang member is which..

- Fuck rp hands up or die bitch 

- How do you report someone for VDM or someshit if their name is UNKNOWN

1) yes unless you are spooling in a red zone :)

2) I agree completely

3) are you talking about your gang or an enemy gang? Your gang the names show up when you're in a group. Andtheirs you can just initiate with one and blast him, then they all go red

5) well if you're RDM'ed by them then look at chat, but vdm they should be close enough to see their name

Just now, Bear 2.0 said:

1) yes unless you are spooling in a red zone :)

2) I agree completely

3) are you talking about your gang or an enemy gang? Your gang the names show up when you're in a group. Andtheirs you can just initiate with one and blast him, then they all go red

5) well if you're RDM'ed by them then look at chat, but vdm they should be close enough to see their name

3. My own gang?? Why would I need to know who was who in an enemy gang lel

5. Sure, but if the are 200m away, smash your orca and run.. welp rip

1 hour ago, Bear 2.0 said:

3) your gangs names will be revealed to you at any range I believe 

I can make this a thing; easily.

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If under aggression the mask should be rendered useless, name should show for those who are in aggression regardless of the distance

That's going to be a Bamf/Paratus thing.

I think the change is great!  I think changes that force more RP can only improve the experience. 

In addition - anything that makes bounty hunting more challenging should be supported and encouraged :D

Hopefully this will cut down on some of the sketchy bounty hunting tactics.  For example the classic "I told you to stop bro, I don't know how you didn't hear me!" after you are downed 100+ yards away while cruising down the highway.

Bear 2.0 likes this