Lets Talk About Asylum's Staff [By Chrispy]

Chrispy

Now, I didn't come here to rip on the staff team calling them all lazy cunts who don't do anything because I understand. I completely understand that they are older men/women who have families and don't have a lot of time for this shit. I know that Admin has a ton of power and I believe that's why you hire older people so you have less trust issues. But this is where I don't understand.

Now I own a server on Garry's Mod. I can setup a ton of ranks with different permissions. The higher the rank the more trust you earned the more perms you get. I'm not sure if thats how it works with Arma.

The reason I state that is because where the fuck is the Moderator rank? Has it been left out? Has it broken? There is a reason that there is a Support,Moderator,Admin rank. As you gain more trust you gain more permissions. The reason why the staff team lacks is because like I said before the admins have families and stuff and don't have time for this shit. What about the Moderators though? I have not seen one moderator in my entire time being on the server. 

Where I am going with this is that if we have "MODERATORS" you won't have as many trust issues because they will only have basic commands that can fucking help people out so you can have a countless number of them. You should always have a staff member on the server so they can be there to make the environment less toxic. 

Moderator: They will handle most of the forum comp request, ban appeals, reports etc. They make the decision on what happens to whatever the topic was posted about. They also need to be active in-game and mute trolls, kick rule breakers, etc. Their role is to be serious while in this position to show that they are mature enough to take the next step on becoming an Admin.

Admin: They are the final decision maker. They will see that a Moderator has commented on a post with their decision. Admin's can chose to take action or look over the report to make sure the Moderator isn't being too harsh and making sure there is enough evidence. Admin's also aren't required to be super active they are only suppose to be needed in case of serious emergencies. They are also free to host events any time they want and they must give people the money who's comp requests have been approved by a Moderator.

This is how I picture the staff team should be like. I know it probably isn't that easy but I would like to know, why can't it be like this? All in all someone needs to let me know why Moderator isn't a thing anymore because Moderator's would be so much help on the server.

If you agree with anything I said feel free to like this post or post a reply letting me know what you liked about it or what you think the staff ranking system should be like. I took a lot of time to write this for no fucking reason hopefully it might influence some of the higher ups but anyway if you read the whole thing props to you and have a great day everyone!

:frog::frog::pogchamp::shrug:

MrClean, : ), Xehons and 1 other like this
Just now, Gnashes said:

Admin is Moderator. Moderator is Admin-in-Training.

Well i'm just saying that Moderator shouldn't be an Admin-in-Training. It should be a period at which you aren't super trusted but trusted enough with basics things to help out the server and having some sort of staff being active at least 16 out of 24 hours of the day. [Not saying one person i'm saying out of everyone] If you understand what i'm saying.

Just now, Chrispy said:

Well i'm just saying that Moderator shouldn't be an Admin-in-Training. It should be a period at which you aren't super trusted but trusted enough with basics things to help out the server and having some sort of staff being active at least 16 out of 24 hours of the day. [Not saying one person i'm saying out of everyone] If you understand what i'm saying.

That's the thing. That's exactly how they are using moderator. They process the reports and comp request and the admins oversee it. It's a training period. They can't/don't spawn stuff in game. They do exactly as you are suggesting be done. 

Just now, (IFRIT)Mitch said:

That's the thing. That's exactly how they are using moderator. They process the reports and comp request and the admins oversee it. It's a training period. They can't/don't spawn stuff in game. They do exactly as you are suggesting be done. 

Well then start hiring some fucking Moderators XD I wouldn't know I joined the server about 1 or 2 months ago, which is why I have never seen one.

Just now, Chrispy said:

Well then start hiring some fucking Moderators XD I wouldn't know I joined the server about 1 or 2 months ago, which is why I have never seen one.

Once again, Moderator is Admin-in-Training. If someone isn't trusted enough to be an Admin, they don't get Moderator.

@Chrispy I get what you are saying. But i can tell you from a personal experience. Doing anything admin related is tiresome. You don't just log into a server and grind money. So much time is spent with player reports and comp request that by the time you do log into game. You potentially have used the time you can afford to dedicate to a game and don't have the same amount of time to play the actual game than a average player does. Rewards of the increased permissions in and out of game are the only payment that an admin will ever see for their time donated to the community. Just my 2 cents! 

Just now, Gnashes said:

Once again, Moderator is Admin-in-Training. If someone isn't trusted enough to be an Admin, they don't get Moderator.

What i'm trying to say is that you guys hire Admins that have families and always have shit to do. Which is the reason why again you should have a rank with less perms but @(IFRIT)Mitch said that they don't have OP perms so I guess that's a good thing but you need to not for say start hiring younger people just hire people who can dedicate more time. This is a big community and it needs a ton of staff to be watching over it.

@Chrispy I get what you are saying. But i can tell you from a personal experience. Doing anything admin related is tiresome. You don't just log into a server and grind money. So much time is spent with player reports and comp request that by the time you do log into game. You potentially have used the time you can afford to dedicate to a game and don't have the same amount of time to play the actual game than a average player does. Rewards of the increased permissions in and out of game are the only payment that an admin will ever see for their time donated to the community. Just my 2 cents! 

That's what i'm saying. The Admins are trusted enough to know what they are doing and not have to do all the report shit. That's what the moderator rank should be for.

Just now, Chrispy said:

What i'm trying to say is that you guys hire Admins that have families and always have shit to do. Which is the reason why again you should have a rank with less perms but @(IFRIT)Mitch said that they don't have OP perms so I guess that's a good thing but you need to not for say start hiring younger people just hire people who can dedicate more time. This is a big community and it needs a ton of staff to be watching over it.

I don't have any idea of the age of the staff. But i'd like to assume that they are not all "OLD" and they don't "all have families". But i think the idea of older/mature staff is great because of the toxicity that comes along with here. I'd hate to have an action taken against me due to low maturity/ life experiences that person has. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

Moderators have the same in-game permissions as Admins. They're just watched more closely; hence the need for trust.

We do have moderators. But after several months of being a mod they are promoted to Admin if they do the work and dont get removed. It is a very long vetting process just to get to Moderator and an even longer one once you get it. 

The point here is we use the rank, but it is a stepping stone to become an admin and fill any gaps in staff we may have. We dont have a dedicated group of mods. 

Just now, Dredge said:

We do have moderators. But after several months of being a mod they are promoted to Admin if they do the work and dont get removed. It is a very long vetting process just to get to Moderator and an even longer one once you get it. 

The point here is we use the rank, but it is a stepping stone to become an admin and fill any gaps in staff we may have. We dont have a dedicated group of mods. 

Oh alright. Well yeah I just wanted to point out that maybe there should be a Moderator rank then T-Admin Trial Admin or something just to have a lower tier detecated  rank that won't need as much trust but with a ton less power just to have a factor as knowing there will always be a staff member to help you on or off the server.

Just now, Chrispy said:

Oh alright. Well yeah I just wanted to point out that maybe there should be a Moderator rank then T-Admin Trial Admin or something just to have a lower tier detecated  rank that won't need as much trust but with a ton less power just to have a factor as knowing there will always be a staff member to help you on or off the server.

Like you had already said, you have only been here for a short amount of time. But an admin in game isn't going to do much for you. Get RDM'd? record and report. Loose something due to a server issue Record and Report. Got someone mass RDMing in kavala? Record, report and leave the town. Support staff are there for questions and such, use them! I don't understand why it's such a big deal to always have a staff member in server standing next to you.... :shrug:

Like you had already said, you have only been here for a short amount of time. But an admin in game isn't going to do much for you. Get RDM'd? record and report. Loose something due to a server issue Record and Report. Got someone mass RDMing in kavala? Record, report and leave the town. Support staff are there for questions and such, use them! I don't understand why it's such a big deal to always have a staff member in server standing next to you.... :shrug:

The point is if noobs are playing on the server and want to have a good time but there is a fucking kavala troll blowing everyone the fuck up a Moderator can instantly spectate the scene and do what is needed. Noobs don't want to record and report every little thing that happens to them they should be able to enjoy their time like everybody else. They will always leave the server if they feel they cannot handle it. Asylum has ever only been the server I ever played on for long periods at a time so I don't know how other servers work if they have staff active in-game or not. Sorry if I incorrectly ranted but because I used to play Garry's Mod a ton thats how I feel staff should be looked at.

what sometimes piss me off is that admins says "We dont get paid or we dont have the time" then why the fuck you apply for admin??? If i apply for admin is because I want to help the community and I will have time for do it, if i know i dont have fucking time  or I will be whinning about not getting paid then why the fuck I am applying? 

Just now, dennozZ said:

what sometimes piss me off is that admins says "We dont get paid or we dont have the time" then why the fuck you apply for admin??? If i apply for admin is because I want to help the community and I will have time for do it, if i know i dont have fucking time  or I will be whinning about not getting paid then why the fuck I am applying? 

Admins help the community at their convenience, not your own. People often insist that an Admin help them precisely when they desire an Admin to, and not when the Admin has time. This is the core of the problem; the community treats the Administration staff as though they're waiting staff at a restaurant, and not as volunteers.

@dennozZ

I think that situation goes hand in hand with @Chrispy's last post. We cant be on the server 24/7 because we do not get paid and we do not have the time. If I could get paid enough to cover all my bills and stuff sure, Id sit on the server all day waiting to handle problems. But since I cant I spend my days working and earning money to take care of my family. 

BaDaBiNg_10-8 and Heidelberg like this
Just now, Chrispy said:

The point is if noobs are playing on the server and want to have a good time but there is a fucking kavala troll blowing everyone the fuck up a Moderator can instantly spectate the scene and do what is needed. Noobs don't want to record and report every little thing that happens to them they should be able to enjoy their time like everybody else. They will always leave the server if they feel they cannot handle it. Asylum has ever only been the server I ever played on for long periods at a time so I don't know how other servers work if they have staff active in-game or not. Sorry if I incorrectly ranted but because I used to play Garry's Mod a ton thats how I feel staff should be looked at.

Admins don't necessarily play with their same name they use on the forums etc. Most of the time, servers are being watched and issues with rule breakers dealt with. Else, as many before has stated, record and report. That's the best way to go. 

Just now, Gnashes said:

Admins help the community at their convenience, not your own. People often insist that an Admin help them precisely when they desire an Admin to, and not when the Admin has time. This is the core of the problem; the community treats the Administration staff as though they're waiting staff at a restaurant, and not as volunteers.

Yeah i understand that. I am not assuming that someone Rdmed me and I hop on ts and an admin will have to take my report ASAP, but i do not understand admins that take this "no pay job" voluntarily and then their excuses are they dont get paid or they dont have the time. I believe that if any admins comes with these excuses is time for them to retire and give the space to someone who have the time to help the community.

Just now, dennozZ said:

Yeah i understand that. I am not assuming that someone Rdmed me and I hop on ts and an admin will have to take my report ASAP, but i do not understand admins that take this "no pay job" voluntarily and then their excuses are they dont get paid or they dont have the time. I believe that if any admins comes with these excuses is time for them to retire and give the space to someone who have the time to help the community.

Admin isn't a "one person goes out another person comes in" role.

Just now, Reapered said:

All the permissions admins have access to is basic. All admins can do is moderate forums, ban, comp, and host events. 

What you're asking for is already in place.

Gasp. I'm not saying that my man. I'm asking for a basic rank that does all the forum work and the emergency shit is for Admins because then they don't have to be pressured and there can be ton of a rank thats lower tier then that rank.

58 minutes ago, dennozZ said:

It's like volunteering at a animal shelter and saying "idgaf about animals, I don't get payed" lul

Same logic. If you don't want to help out and bitch that you don't get payed so you don't have to do anything, or if you don't have enough time, why apply? We know you must love those Admin tools and perks, but if you can't do your duties, I trust @Olio to clean them out.

Also, now with the implementation of Support which is great, I think there should be 'Senior Admin'. As we know out of both of our CM's, Olio is the only one actually doing CM duties, so Volunteer should have the 'Senior Admin' rank along side any other long time Admin they can promote to that rank without them wanting to be a CM. Currently CM's deal with Admins and Admin issues, when it should be 'Senior Admins' doing that, and CM's can focus on the Community.

Edited by Haych
dennozZ likes this
10 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Gasp. I'm not saying that my man. I'm asking for a basic rank that does all the forum work and the emergency shit is for Admins because then they don't have to be pressured and there can be ton of a rank thats lower tier then that rank.

Asylum has 23 admins on staff with over 5 support members who assist them.

It's not really fair to expect someone to be there for every single little problem somebody has on this server instantly. Right now the system works fine and if you have any questions I would talk to a support staff member.

Edited by Reapered
16 minutes ago, Haych said:

It's like volunteering at a animal shelter and saying "idgaf about animals, I don't get payed" lul

Same logic. If you don't want to help out and bitch that you don't get payed so you don't have to do anything, or if you don't have enough time, why apply? We know you must love those Admin tools and perks, but if you can't do your duties, I trust @Olio to clean them out.

It's not even remotely the same.

In an animal shelter, you take care of helpless animals that otherwise would not have a chance in life and work to ensure that they get placed with a loving family.

As an Asylum admin, you deal with entitled children that think that their issues are more important than anyone else's, players that can't seem to figure out how not to be assholes, developers that don't tell you anything, etc. And in return, the only thing you get is having the game's fun ruined for you.

It just so happens that those with careers and families tend to be more trustworthy than a 15 year old kid that runs a gmod server on the side. And the result is that people don't walk around Asylum worrying about killing an admin and getting banned.

18 minutes ago, speed said:

As an Asylum admin, you deal with entitled children that think that their issues are more important than anyone else's, players that can't seem to figure out how not to be assholes, developers that don't tell you anything, etc. And in return, the only thing you get is having the game's fun ruined for you.

It just so happens that those with careers and families tend to be more trustworthy than a 15 year old kid that runs a gmod server on the side. And the result is that people don't walk around Asylum worrying about killing an admin and getting banned.

this has to be the truest statement in this whole thread. 

Dredge likes this