Impersonating a Police Officer Charge

In the APD Guidebook it is stated that the charge for Impersonating a Police Officer is a straight to jail offense, while I was processing a criminal they started going off about how they've been a constable for a year and I can't do this or that. So I decided it was fit to charge him with the crime, upon looking for the charge itself there was actually no in game charge so I just had to send him to jail for the $500 charge he already had. This being said someone who was obviously trying to start trouble got 1-2 minutes in jail and personally I believe the admins should at least set a specific bounty for this crime. My suggestion would be whatever the money equivalent is to 30 minutes in jail. This would mean we could add on some stackable charge such as money laundering until we hit the set amount that way the devs don't actually need to create another new charge. Just a suggestion. - APD Constable Twistt

Olivia, Steve, sah and 2 others like this

It's not against role-play for them to claim to be some form of Officer and or Agent. Realistically there is no charge you can place upon them for It simply because they're not specifying from what Island they're a cop of, and or agent of. If they're wearing an Officer uniform then it can be assumed that they're Impersonating, but even then you'd only charge them with possession of police equipment and identity fraud.

Just now, Super Bumbi said:

It's not against role-play for them to claim to be some form of Officer and or Agent. Realistically there is no charge you can place upon them for It simply because they're not specifying from what Island they're a cop of, and or agent of. If they're wearing an Officer uniform then it can be assumed that they're Impersonating, but even then you'd only charge them with possession of police equipment and identity fraud.

I agree.

Super Bumbi likes this

@twistt @Super Bumbi

Oh my... you people need to understand how that charge is to be applied.

When a civilian is impersonating an officer for example "Hey i'm LT @Norwegianviking if you give me a full ticket i'll demote you".

1. You should record this and report it to a SGT+ straight away
  2. Apply the charge impersonating an officer (or something else equivalent to the same amount)
  3. Send him straight to jail, inform him that you are because he's impersonating an officer

If a civilian who is not a whitelisted player says he's a cop and RP's around it you will not charge him with impersonating an officer.

Guidebook states this:

Impersonating a Police Officer Jail Only applied to off-duty officers who use their rank to interfere with their own processing (such as "I'm a Constable/Corporal/etc. I know the Guidebook and you can't do that...")

@Olivia Could you confirm? <3 

In your situation you describe that the person that is impersonating an officer is coming back repeatedly.

If he's a cop this will only make punishment more severe.

If it's a civilian, you can give him a 10min time out if necessary or you can give him an "order" to stop it.

Disobeying an Order from an Officer $100 Offenders must first be warned verbally to stop disobeying. If they continue, add this charge. If they continue after the second offense, offenders may be sent straight to jail.

Ultimately if he keeps coming back you can always consider leaving the area.

Edited by Midamaru
Olivia, USCCHRIS, Skittles and 1 other like this
2 minutes ago, Midamaru said:

@twistt @Super Bumbi

When a civilian is impersonating an officer for example "Hey i'm LT @Norwegianviking if you give me a full ticket i'll demote you".

2. Apply the charge impersonating an officer (or something else equivalent to the same amount)
  3. Send him straight to jail, inform him that you are because he's impersonating an officer

If a random civilian comes up to you who obviously has no clue about cops says that he's a cop too and he's gonna arrest you for bla bla.
Then you will not send him straight to jail, but i believe you can still charge him for the sake of it being against the law.

Trying to use their whitelisting as an advantage, or in the way twist stated, falls under impersonation of a police officer. At NO time, should a civilian bring up the fact that they are, or have been, a member of the APD and try to correct an officer by using their whitelisted status, no matter what rank the person is (excluding Capt).

@twistt If you charge for Impersonation of a Police Officer, an IA report needs to follow. It's jail within game for any charges they already have or you had to add. So it may seem like "nothing" in game, but it can mean a lot to their status/whitelisting with the APD.

I'm more then sure an Lt or someone will come by and correct/confirm this as needed though.

Edited by Coyote
1 minute ago, Midamaru said:

@twistt @Super Bumbi

If a civilian who is not a whitelisted player says he's a cop and RP's around it you will not charge him with impersonating an officer.

Guidebook states this:

Impersonating a Police Officer Jail Only applied to off-duty officers who use their rank to interfere with their own processing (such as "I'm a Constable/Corporal/etc. I know the Guidebook and you can't do that...")

Pretty much what @Midamaru said.

And i do this "Hey i'm LT @Norwegianviking if you give me a full ticket i'll demote you". just ask @Budbringer, @Nightfury, @Ofek, @Micheal schmeichel and @Katheeri

Its important to remember that you have to be sure beyond doubt that the person is whitelisted and attempting to use their whitelist against you.  Someone stating their an off duty cop is not grounds to send them to jail.

As far as adding a charge and time limit for said crime? No, its more of an APD policy not a server rule/law

Edited by HotWings
Olivia likes this
2 minutes ago, Midamaru said:

@twistt @Super Bumbi

Guidebook states this:

@Midamaru is correct here.  Impersonating an officer is only for someone who breaks RP to sway their processing, for example "I'm a Constable I know the GB, you're doing X process wrong" or if I were on civ and said "I did your interview, I know more than you, you're doing X wrong."  So from the situation that @twistt described, it seems like this charge would be appropriate.  However @Super Bumbi is correct than RP is always encouraged, and RP as CIA/FBI/Seal Team 6 etc is totally fine.

As for your suggestion to increase the jail time, I can see your reasoning for it but I'm not sure it's really needed.  In the old GB, Impersonating was $100 and send to Jail.  So that charge was never meant to have a large jail time set behind it.

On a side note, there are several charges that are listed in the GB but aren't in game and require a different charge to be used as stand-in.  Iirc Destruction of Property, Offroading, Littering, Landing a heli within a city and Conspiracy to commit terrorism are all listed in the GB but aren't in game.  (There used to be many more but most were removed from the GB.)

Midamaru and HotWings like this

Well I feel that you should be allowed to break character an tell them because it did happen to me I was charged with terrorism when I never shot into the hq you went into it we fought around it. I told him we was incorrect and asked for a higher up and they higher up just said he was doing it right and left. I was sent to jail right after that without having my charges read to me or being able to explain them. I remained in character the best I could and still ended up with the wrong charges and in jail 

Just now, Dejia said:

Well I feel that you should be allowed to break character an tell them because it did happen to me I was charged with terrorism when I never shot into the hq you went into it we fought around it. I told him we was incorrect and asked for a higher up and they higher up just said he was doing it right and left. I was sent to jail right after that without having my charges read to me or being able to explain them. I remained in character the best I could and still ended up with the wrong charges and in jail 

File an IAD in that instance.  Its not worth the potential of getting yourself screwed up in something for someone else's mistake.

Olivia likes this
2 hours ago, Midamaru said:

@twistt @Super Bumbi

Guidebook states this:

In your situation you describe that the person that is impersonating an officer is coming back repeatedly.

If he's a cop this will only make punishment more severe.

If it's a civilian, you can give him a 10min time out if necessary or you can give him an "order" to stop it.

Disobeying an Order from an Officer $100 Offenders must first be warned verbally to stop disobeying. If they continue, add this charge. If they continue after the second offense, offenders may be sent straight to jail.

Ultimately if he keeps coming back you can always consider leaving the area.

@Midamaru  Problem with this is, there is no charge like I said and there is no equivalent charge because there isn't yet a defined bounty for the charge. Also @Olivia@Super Bumbi he was stating something along the lines about how he has been a constable for a year and he knows that probable cause to search someone is a $3,000 bounty and that I didn't "Know my shit" because I was newer to the force, so yeah it was a sufficient charge. I just felt that an unarmed civilian going to jail for 1 minute for a "Straight to jail offense" then suiciding to come back to Kavala and doing the same thing didn't make too much sense to me and when I talked to a Sergeant at a briefing they recommended I brought it to light on the forums.

Just now, twistt said:

@Midamaru  Problem with this is, there is no charge like I said and there is no equivalent charge because there isn't yet a defined bounty for the charge. Also @Olivia@Super Bumbi he was stating something along the lines about how he has been a constable for a year and he knows that probable cause to search someone is a $3,000 bounty and that I didn't "Know my shit" because I was newer to the force, so yeah it was a sufficient charge. I just felt that an unarmed civilian going to jail for 1 minute for a "Straight to jail offense" then suiciding to come back to Kavala and doing the same thing didn't make too much sense to me and when I talked to a Sergeant at a briefing they recommended I brought it to light on the forums.

There isnt a charge for multiple things in the guidebook, thats not a new thing.  You just charge the amount via another charge. 

40 minutes ago, HotWings said:

There isnt a charge for multiple things in the guidebook, thats not a new thing.  You just charge the amount via another charge. 

He means that there is no amount set for the impersonating an officer charge so theres nothing to send him to jail for. I would say just give him a minor charge like identitiy fraud, aslong as he goes to jail.

43 minutes ago, twistt said:

Eventhough he says he's an officer and you don't know your shit ect, you don't know for sure that he is. You have to be sure that the player you're charging is a whitelisted officer playing civilian.

Probable cause is $2,500. If you're ever in doubt about such things just look it up in the guidebook.

Olivia likes this
9 hours ago, Midamaru said:

He means that there is no amount set for the impersonating an officer charge so theres nothing to send him to jail for. I would say just give him a minor charge like identitiy fraud, aslong as he goes to jail.

Eventhough he says he's an officer and you don't know your shit ect, you don't know for sure that he is. You have to be sure that the player you're charging is a whitelisted officer playing civilian.

Probable cause is $2,500. If you're ever in doubt about such things just look it up in the guidebook.

He was whitelisted. I knew what probable cause was. You know nothing of this situation so idk why you're saying "I don't know my shit" good day bud.

5 minutes ago, twistt said:

He was whitelisted. I knew what probable cause was. You know nothing of this situation so idk why you're saying "I don't know my shit" good day bud.

I meant it as a quote, i'll rephrase it.

Eventhough he says that: he's an officer and "You don't know your shit ect", you don't know that he is whitelisted.

I thought you didn't know for sure that he was whitelisted but just strongly assumed it because of what he said.

If he was whitelisted you handeled correctly, didn't mean to offend you :P

5 minutes ago, The Monopoly Man said:

I swear in one of the old guidebooks there was a charge for a civilian Roleplaying as an officer.

Myself and the other Captains will discuss this and see if it is necessary to work up a charge for Non-whitelisted players roleplaying as a cop. 

Thank you :) 

On 4/7/2017 at 1:13 PM, Dejia said:

Yeah but just call them out on it. Say you are a lawyer and of that your uncle is a cop. maybe say you took criminal justice classes at the community college in Kavala. then say you know your rights and  you will report to the offices of government affairs or whatever it's called and they will rethink. But saying hey I'm officer "blah" you can't do this I will tell Subaru on you. That's not okay. It's just wrong and it's not a proper way of playing on Asylum  

On 4/8/2017 at 3:11 AM, The Monopoly Man said:

I swear in one of the old guidebooks there was a charge for a civilian Roleplaying as an officer.

Myself and the other Captains will discuss this and see if it is necessary to work up a charge for Non-whitelisted players roleplaying as a cop. 

look at my post up top lol. also is it bannable to say you are a undercover cop 

On 4/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, twistt said:

@HotWingsThats the point, there is no set amount for impersonating a police officer right now.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:54 PM, Midamaru said:

It is a straight to jail offense, it doesn't need a value.  They have the charges on them and that is that. You just dont get the opportunity to pay a ticket.  If you're not wanted you get sent to jail for 1500 I believe.

Why does there need to be some big charge to screw someone over? Sending them to jail take all their shit and puts them at the salt flats as it is.  If theyre that bad file an IA complaint.  EZPZ

@The Monopoly Man There doesn't need to be a charge for that, its valid RP and making it a charge is just going to promote robocopping that situation.

Just now, ICP | Drex said:

also is it bannable to say you are a undercover cop 

No, acting like a cop to other civs is legit role play.

6 minutes ago, HotWings said:

It is a straight to jail offense, it doesn't need a value.  They have the charges on them and that is that. You just dont get the opportunity to pay a ticket.  If you're not wanted you get sent to jail for 1500 I believe.

Why does there need to be some big charge to screw someone over? Sending them to jail take all their shit and puts them at the salt flats as it is.  If theyre that bad file an IA complaint.  EZPZ

@The Monopoly Man There doesn't need to be a charge for that, its valid RP and making it a charge is just going to promote robocopping that situation.

No, acting like a cop to other civs is legit role play.

yea it saves me a cl report because i make them think i'm gonna process them at the court house if they are dumb 

Usually when someone is saying he is an APD officer, i tell him that i will be searching for papers or badge, if non found then I will tell them that they can't be seen as an officer. If they say they were an officer and they say the guidebook should say different things, I would say the classic : Well Mr. Jeff, alot has changed since your betrayal.

Usually idc if they impersonate unless they threaten me with APD actions. I just try to RP it out, in the end it's just a game.

HotWings and drex like this
On 4/8/2017 at 3:11 AM, The Monopoly Man said:

Since I know my version of the GB like the back of my hand I'll spare you the effort of looking there, but it definitely wasn't in my version.  It's possible it was in the very first GB but that would have to be ~3 years ago or more.

"Roleplaying as an officer" makes logical sense to be a charge.  As for if the new charge is needed, I would argue that civilian's RP'ing as police/CIA/FBI/etc isn't really a problem and they should be free to RP as they like.  Maybe a brand new fresh spawn would fall for it and think they're actually officers, but I haven't seen that be an issue ever.

12 minutes ago, Olivia said:

Since I know my version of the GB like the back of my hand I'll spare you the effort of looking there, but it definitely wasn't in my version.  It's possible it was in the very first GB but that would have to be ~3 years ago or more.

"Roleplaying as an officer" makes logical sense to be a charge.  As for if the new charge is needed, I would argue that civilian's RP'ing as police/CIA/FBI/etc isn't really a problem and they should be free to RP as they like.  Maybe a brand new fresh spawn would fall for it and think they're actually officers, but I haven't seen that be an issue ever.

i feel like an identity fraud charge and also the player should be detained and searched... including vehicle