A Change To Driver's License System

Taking advantage of Olio's new topic, I'll go ahead and post this topic to see if people have any other ideas or any feedbacks about it - as it currently is and how it could get improved.

CHANGES TO THE CURRENT DRIVER'S LICENSE SYSTEM

Something I haven't really elaborated yet is a suggestion about someone's driver's license. At the present time, cops can revoke it if one has 3 or more counts of hit and run or has been involved in a very long police chase. Either way, it currently doesn't mean much to role-play and isn't as valuable as it could be.

My idea - and I still haven't studied how viable it might be - is making a system similar to the current racing system (which people don't often use), just so if someone gets their license revoked, they'll have to go through a small and short exam. That way they'd spend some minutes in there, so they could finally get their license. Here's how I think it could be (still open to suggestions):

1. The course should be filled with hint messages, explaining the purpose of it and giving out important information for new players - mainly for those how pull quad-bikes and start running people over in Kavala.
2. Those who exceed the informed max speed will get teleported back to the square and will have to wait a cool-down (maybe 3-5 minutes) to retake the course/exam. 
3. Those who do not follow the informed path will get teleported back to the square and will also have to wait a cool-down.
4. Does anybody think of anything else (shouldn't get too complex though)? :P

Driving without a driver's license, then, should be a more serious charge (maybe should get its price increased or something similar). Also, reckless driving should be - maybe? - a reason for a cop to revoke someone's driver's license (at discretion and severity of the situation, of course).

This could add to role-play - who knows?:shrug: - as well as to how valuable people treat their driver's license. Currently, if someone gets their license revoked, cops won't care much. Plus, the only thing people need to do is pay $50 to get them back.

Again, I also see it as being helpful for new players. For example, as mentioned in the spoiler, new players would be informed what they can and can't do with their vehicles, and what are the consequences, mainly for VDM. Could hopefully reduce broken legs around Kavala square. :kappa:

This process shouldn't be too complex and should only take about 5-7 minutes of someone's time - enough for them to care about it. After all, nobody wants it to be too boring or complicated. Along with that, again, penalties for people caught driving without a driver's license should be more seriously penalized.

Edited by BlackShot
Just now, Jaeger said:

Looks like a cool idea, but I rather drive without license and pay the ticket than take a little test.

Exactly. To avoid it, I'm also suggesting some more strict traffic rules for those who drive without a driver's license. Maybe increasing charge price and adding reckless driving as a reason to revoke someone's license could add a difference (plus, currently, you get your vehicle impounded). Hopefully it would make a difference.

Driving without a driver's license, then, should be a more serious charge (maybe should get its price increased or something similar). Also, reckless driving should be - maybe? - a reason for a cop to revoke someone's driver's license (at discretion and severity of the situation, of course).

rodrigo silva and Mr. Linux like this
Just now, Slothster(Goose15) said:

Sounds like a cool idea, how hard would it be to implement??

I'm kinda rusty on Arma 3 development, so @Gnashes might give you a more precise answer. But, as I can remember, adding some hint events on the map/triggers would be almost enough. Some of its system is already implemented on the current racing system (spawning a car, checkpoint and getting teleported).

Mr. Linux and rodrigo silva like this
1 hour ago, BlackShot said:

@Olivia, could you please confirm some of the current APD info posted on this topic and comments? I'm not 100% sure about them, and the new guidebook doesn't provide info about revoking a driver's license.

20 something odd speeding tickets or more will allow an officer to seize your license

19 minutes ago, J. Urbanowski said:

Speeding tickets no longer show up as a charge (From a speeding camera, officers can still charge it). It will just bill it to your bank account if you speed past a camera.

If you catch a guy going 200 km/h over the limit, you can revoke his driver's license. Just because speeding cameras don't stack them anymore doesn't mean you can't. It's still a stackable charge.

9 hours ago, massi said:

20 something odd speeding tickets or more will allow an officer to seize your license

Hmm... I didn't know about it. Only two things that are in the actual mock-ridealong book are 3 counts of hit and run and long police chase.

3 hours ago, J. Urbanowski said:

Speeding tickets no longer show up as a charge (From a speeding camera, officers can still charge it). It will just bill it to your bank account if you speed past a camera.

Yea, I think he knows it. :P

Mr. Linux likes this
16 hours ago, BlackShot said:

At the present time, cops can revoke it if one has 3 or more counts of hit and run or has been involved in a very long police chase.

16 hours ago, BlackShot said:

@Olivia, could you please confirm some of the current APD info posted on this topic and comments? I'm not 100% sure about them, and the new guidebook doesn't provide info about revoking a driver's license.

I was just about to say, where in the GB does it say you can revoke their driver's license for 3 hit and runs?  ; )  I don't remember exactly when that was removed but it was a while ago.  Typically I would say always go by what's in the GB, but I know the GB was trimmed so that officer's can have more freedom.  Therefore, seize their driver's license when you think it's right.  2nd count of reckless driving?  Sure, seize it, seems like what a real officer would do.  Suspect is RP'ing as driving drunk?  Sure, seize it.  And so on.  Common sense.

As for your idea, I like it.  Seems like a cool way to add in RP and a fun sort of "mini-game."  However, I imagine the coding could get difficult and could have lots of room for bugs for a feature that I'm not sure would be used that often.  I seize driver's licenses very infrequently (maybe that's just me?) but I do like your creativity and how much thought you put into it. 

Silver-Spy, BlackShot, Witz and 1 other like this
9 hours ago, Olivia said:

I was just about to say, where in the GB does it say you can revoke their driver's license for 3 hit and runs?  ; )  I don't remember exactly when that was removed but it was a while ago.  Typically I would say always go by what's in the GB, but I know the GB was trimmed so that officer's can have more freedom.  Therefore, seize their driver's license when you think it's right.  2nd count of reckless driving?  Sure, seize it, seems like what a real officer would do.  Suspect is RP'ing as driving drunk?  Sure, seize it.  And so on.  Common sense.

As for your idea, I like it.  Seems like a cool way to add in RP and a fun sort of "mini-game."  However, I imagine the coding could get difficult and could have lots of room for bugs for a feature that I'm not sure would be used that often.  I seize driver's licenses very infrequently (maybe that's just me?) but I do like your creativity and how much thought you put into it. 

Thanks! It's not too hard to get coded though, but let's see if @Gnashes can tell us something more precise about it. Not that it's an important feature, but could be, I think, some fun addition.

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Would be better if after revoking their license to just have to wait out a 10 min timer or something to rebuy it. Revoking licenses is mainly used against the vdm trolls.

Hm, I don't think so. Kinda takes off an important idea of giving newbies hints and tutorials about how to use their vehicles and avoid VDM. Plus, people would take traffic rules, hit and run etc. a bit more serious, hopefully.

6 hours ago, HotWings said:

Personally think this is way over the top RP for Asylum.  I dont even think A3L was this intense was it?

I wouldn't say it's mostly for the RP. I'd say it's mostly to give driver's license a new face and make it more valuable. Also, could help newbies avoid VDM.

Just now, Richard Norman said:

pretty sick idea but I don't think most people have the patient for it.

Thanks! But, well, 5 minutes is not that much! And you don't get your driver's license revoked all the time, specially if you are not there to cause mayhem in the streets.

Mr. Linux likes this
On Friday, May 05, 2017 at 0:40 AM, Jaeger said:

Looks like a cool idea, but I rather drive without license and pay the ticket than take a little test.

Well apd can add the 3 offend charge to driving without a license ? 3 offend = straight to jail. So people willing to do the test then ?

20 hours ago, Lightningxo said:

Well apd can add the 3 offend charge to driving without a license ? 3 offend = straight to jail. So people willing to do the test then ?

Pretty sure that since the Wiki doesn't includes the 2nd and 3th offense thing ( I think it got removed in the 2nd or 3th old new GB) you can't do that anymore, still will take the 5 mins jail anyways, not like you can know when I have a driving licencse or not without searching me.

BlackShot likes this

Its actually an automatic charge when you ride without a license . Well it supposed to be becauze i toke some1 driving license away and he went to the garage pulled out an atb drove with it and he was on the wanted list for driving without a license and itbwas only a suggestion to add the second and 3rth offend back in the system