Malden Life Discussion

I think most of the community here can get behind Malden Life and even @Paratus has mentioned that he has plans for it.

Malden has been released on the dev branch and after exploring the island for the first time myself a few things stuck out. First off, the remake is beautiful. There are many unique towns and new structures that gives the island its own personality. It even draws from a few Tanoa structures that adds variety. It is the first time in my nearly two thousand hours that I feel a town wasn't just a copy paste fest of buildings. In addition to all of that, vineyards, that are dotted across the map, hold so much potential.  Secondly, the island is very small. After flying around for a while I found it difficult to imagine taking all the parts of our Altis life servers and putting them on Malden. There are two versions that I can imagine this server going down. Also an important note, for both version I would limit housing to one to two per person and be required to play on that server at least once per month to keep it. This will help to avoid what happened to housing on Tanoa.

[Version 1]

Spoiler

When looking at the map cartels simply did not fit. As for turfs, there are spots but they block off whole areas that could and should be used for other things, like jobs mainly. The three major towns that imagine being spawn towns are Le Port, La Pessagne and La Trinite. No matter where you place a turf or cartel you would never be more then 2-3km from a spawn town. and all connected by a MSR. There are definitely spots for rebel outposts. As for drugs I can see two on the island with three if you're pushing it but expect police presence to be heavy no matter where you go or how many.

Making wine could be a job similar to bootlegging on altis. I'd like to see grapes legal to collect but two ways to process and sell it. One legal and one illegal. You could take grapes to a winery and get it processed then store it in a house so it could ferment. Your other option is to take it to "premium winery" where it is processed in such a way that give better taste and it ferments faster but the wine is tainted by dangerous contaminates made illegal by the government. (Idea not well developed but you get it.)

Would be nice to definitely see sea turtles and excavation, those are easy to add in. There is also potential for gun running to be profitable here if setup right, that would be cool.

Because there are only 2 air strips I can't imagine drug running being a thing but I think the idea could be reinvented to work. Illegal Exports is what I'd call it. The basic idea is that with the recent destruction of a major military base on the northern end of the island the Malden government has lost its air superiority. Criminal are now using helicopters to move their illegal goods to the coasts to be exported to avoid the overwhelming police force on the ground. Pay a fee, get a chopper, pick up cargo, drop off at new location. You would be in a hummingbird/m-900. Police may get notification about where you will land given they have a matching talent seen on Altis. This activity is timed.

Made a possible map. It's missing a lot but thoughts?

[Version 2]

Spoiler

Go more RP focused, I'd say keep all rules the same but shift certain thing to be more oriented towards the small island and having 100 players potentially on it.

• Only thing you bring to Malden is your name and your money. All gear and vehicles are separate from Altis.
  • No "gang life". Cartels and turfs don't exist. Crime is mainly robbery of other players. Perhaps a bank and an old style prison(pygros) for activites.
  • Max caliber 6.5 with the exception of a rahim. No pilot overalls/CSATs. The idea behind this is pretty much every location on the island can be sniper from a few places with ease. Smaller caliber will make this less of an issue. Also to compensate for smaller caliber CSATs are removed to prevent bullet tanks. Also no Ifrits and .50s like tanoa.
  • Plenty of legal and illegal jobs are scattered around.
  • Focus is money making and less fighting. For rebels and cops alike. Rebels focus on money making from drugs/robbing other people while cops focus on caughting them in both situations and stop other general crime.
  • Goal would be to get the island to just feel really laid back for the most part. Given money is the focus of this server I would make sure all jobs pay out good on this island, really make it feel worth while. Risk would go up because people who would normally fight cartels are probably robbing people making drugs now.

I like both ideas a lot. Hope we can expand on these ideas(or criticize the crap out of them) to give paratus a lot to work with when he sits down to make Malden Life someday soon.

Edited by Phantom Viper

I like this, Go more RP focused, I'd say keep all rules the same but shift certain thing to be more oriented towards the small island and having 100 players potentially on it.  < but this is simply not gonna work, the community here isn't based on RP, it's based on fights with a hands up or die message in between. I am Always up for more RP, but especially with summer up, it's just not gonna work out

Blocker likes this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

If they were to make a Malden life, the only way it would work is if they make legal/illegal activities unique to Malden and try to make it balanced as possible. It is a smaller map, it's doable but it would take some work. 

Its still much better suited for strife...if only they could get a people to play on it

Carl is not located on strife rick he is located on Malden life and i know you wanna be reunited with him...

4 hours ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

Its still much better suited for strife...if only they could get a people to play on it

Malden works fine with Life without cartels in the way. I also think more people would play STRIFE if they removed all heavy armor/tanks/jets and made it like Asylum loadouts so people could practice their shots in an infantry setting. But Paratus showed no interest in either of those ideas so now we sit here with an empty STRIFE server and no Malden life. 

I think this speaks for itself:

6350d5e51dba2d308e1f865297f15458.png

@bamf @Paratus

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz
Sikorsky, Silver-Spy and Term like this
Just now, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

Malden works fine with Life without cartels in the way. I also think more people would play STRIFE if they removed all heavy armor/tanks/jets and made it like Asylum loadouts so people could practice their shots in an infantry setting. But Paratus showed no interest in either of those ideas so now we sit here with an empty STRIFE server and no Malden life. 

I think this speaks for itself:

6350d5e51dba2d308e1f865297f15458.png

@bamf @Paratus

That they released it in an unplayable state? It started very strong, and probably would still be too, had it worked properly. The problem is it's almost impossible to jump-start a game-mode that burnt out due to bugs.

Just now, Ghost0fDawn said:

That they released it in an unplayable state? It started very strong, and probably would still be too, had it worked properly. The problem is it's almost impossible to jump-start a game-mode that burnt out due to bugs.

I'm sure that played a part as well but the bigger issue is the lack of interest in STRIFE as it is. 

3 hours ago, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

I'm sure that played a part as well but the bigger issue is the lack of interest in STRIFE as it is. 

The bugs hurt strife the most. If things like rewards at the end of the match and team balance were working from the start, then strife would be looking a lot different.

tanks only suck because it's too easy to spawn camp and engineers start with HE rounds instead of AT rounds, some simple fixes and tank won't be near as annoying