So College or The Academy

Tb:)

25 minutes ago, Swift F said:

Go into CJS and IT get a job relating to cybercrime/security. Government pays good $$$$ for their tech cops 

I actually thought about that.. But I don't have the money for College...

22 minutes ago, Boone said:

Sadly career cops don't make as much money in real life as they do on asylum otherwise i'd want to be a cop :FeelsBadMan:

Still the Salary is fine.. Shit i wanted to do since i was a wee young

Just now, Swift F said:

Minnesota. Certain cities pay very well.

Michigan here, Prob slight pay decress

Just now, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

Living in the US? Go enlisted or become a officer through the ROTC program

See I also thought about that, but the thing is, im to afraid of being deployed and raped

Well let me tell you a few things i have learned the hard way about public safety. 

• Say goodbye to birthdays, holidays, family reunions, and some of your family's finest moments. (Of course there is vacation, but there will never be enough to cover everything) 
  • The above applies to at minimum your first 5 years of service. (Because of your seniority and the inability to get the most wanted days off) 
  • Have you meet the lady named Stress? There is insane ways that your body and mind will change because of her.
  •  Are you %110 positive that you would give up your way of life, and potentially your life for that of another? 

But it is a great career field and one that wont really run out of business. 

Tech jobs behind a desk are just as tough, but are typically Monday through Friday. And trust me M-F is worth millions to me now. I miss so much family stuff that I and my family tend to go a bit crazy because of it. 

What i say here isn't the bible, and i am in no way trying to talk you in or out of anything. But it's just a few things i wish i would have thought about before i started my career. 

Axe likes this
1 hour ago, Boone said:

Sadly career cops don't make as much money in real life as they do on asylum otherwise i'd want to be a cop :FeelsBadMan:

If you're in it for the money, you're in it for the wrong reason

59 minutes ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Well let me tell you a few things i have learned the hard way about public safety. 

• Say goodbye to birthdays, holidays, family reunions, and some of your family's finest moments. (Of course there is vacation, but there will never be enough to cover everything) 
  • The above applies to at minimum your first 5 years of service. (Because of your seniority and the inability to get the most wanted days off) 
  • Have you meet the lady named Stress? There is insane ways that your body and mind will change because of her.
  •  Are you %110 positive that you would give up your way of life, and potentially your life for that of another? 

Tech jobs behind a desk are just as tough, but are typically Monday through Friday. And trust me M-F is worth millions to me now. I miss so much family stuff that I and my family tend to go a bit crazy because of it. 

What i say here isn't the bible, and i am in no way trying to talk you in or out of anything. But it's just a few things i wish i would have thought about before i started my career. 

^^ This man's advice is spot on. 

As for OP @Tb:) :

If the military isn't for you, go to school. But don't major in something like criminal justice or criminology. If for some reason you end up in a wheel chair or things don't work out, those degrees are super specific. Find a happy medium. Don't major in some liberal art, but maybe something like accounting, or public admin. etc

Look at local departments, see if they offer a cadet program. Some of them are paid and offer 20-30 hrs a week working a desk in the precinct or evidence/permit distribution. It's a great way to get your foot in the door. 

Also look to see if your department offers civilian ride alongs. Go see what the job is really like, ask questions. It's not something you want to go into blindly. 

EDIT

Also. I would hold off on the academy unless you're sure you have a job lined up. It can get expensive and some departments will sponsor you and pay for you to go through the academy.  

Edited by Axe
59 minutes ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Great points, but its a thing that I still have to think about. Like i mentioned earlier, I think I'd do it to help others and make sure the worlds a safer place...

Just now, Axe said:

If you're in it for the money, you're in it for the wrong reason

^^ This man's advice is spot on. 

As for OP @Tb:) :

If the military isn't for you, go to school. But don't major in something like criminal justice or criminology. If for some reason you end up in a wheel chair or things don't work out, those degrees are super specific. Find a happy medium. Don't major in some liberal art, but maybe something like accounting, or public admin. etc

Look at local departments, see if they offer a cadet program. Some of them are paid and offer 20-30 hrs a week working a desk in the precinct or evidence/permit distribution. It's a great way to get your foot in the door. 

Also look to see if your department offers civilian ride alongs. Go see what the job is really like, ask questions. It's not something you want to go into blindly. 

Yeah theres a Cadet program near me but i still have to go through the academy to do it. Thats why I want to know before hand if i should or not...

Just now, Tb:) said:

Yeah theres a Cadet program near me but i still have to go through the academy to do it. Thats why I want to know before hand if i should or not...

Wow. That's really strange. It's not like that around here. 

Still. Before you make that decision, go on a ride along. 

Also. You're making the choice between school OR the academy. Departments may not have a degree requirement, but most will seek someone with a degree. Anyone with even a 2 yr will have a leg up on you. Personally I don't think the academy will get you that much traction. 

Honestly I would go to school for at least two years. I assume you're under 25? Most departments will look for people with life experience. While they may say the minimum age is 21, it's highly unlikely they'll choose a 21-25 yr old over someone who's maybe 28-31+ 

14 minutes ago, Axe said:

Wow. That's really strange. It's not like that around here. 

Still. Before you make that decision, go on a ride along. 

Also. You're making the choice between school OR the academy. Departments may not have a degree requirement, but most will seek someone with a degree. Anyone with even a 2 yr will have a leg up on you. Personally I don't think the academy will get you that much traction. 

Honestly I would go to school for at least two years. I assume you're under 25? Most departments will look for people with life experience. While they may say the minimum age is 21, it's highly unlikely they'll choose a 21-25 yr old over someone who's maybe 28-31+ 

Im probably gonna Go to the academy test out the program, see if i like it. If not then go to school. I mean best scenario, because my parents wont let me join the army either. :(

1 hour ago, George said:

Go out of state if you want to be paid well, Michigan is shit rn currently. Youre going to want some form of schooling like an associates though.

Not really, it's just because you live in a shitty part. I can go to the college right down the street from me and become a RN for half the price of university.

9 hours ago, Blind Berserker said:

unfortunately you cannot be fat before becoming a police officer so......guess ur kinda SOL

south-park-warcraft.jpg

Even though I'm now 210 and fit? Okay bud

4 hours ago, George said:

Go out of state if you want to be paid well, Michigan is shit rn currently. Youre going to want some form of schooling like an associates though.

Very true.

Im just gonna throw this out there. Take it as you will. 

You just graduated high school. Most agencies might pass you over because you dont have much "life experience". Not trying to be an asshole, thats just the way it plays out sometimes. I have seen it personally. What I would recommend is go to school and get a degree in Criminal Justice or something similar that works hand in hand with an LEO career. THEN apply for the academy when you have a degree and some life under your belt. 

Just my $0.02 on the matter. If Law Enforcement is what you really want then go for it. But you need to know what youre getting into as @Mitch (IFRIT) said. You need to be very very sure. If you have any doubt or reservations about the job then you need to either address that, or look at a different line of work. Im not trying to scare you away or anything like that. But it is a very stressful and also dangerous. You have to make a personal commitment to yourself when you decide it is what you want to do. 

Good luck to you! 

Just now, Dredge said:

Im just gonna throw this out there. Take it as you will. 

You just graduated high school. Most agencies might pass you over because you dont have much "life experience". Not trying to be an asshole, thats just the way it plays out sometimes. I have seen it personally. What I would recommend is go to school and get a degree in Criminal Justice or something similar that works hand in hand with an LEO career. THEN apply for the academy when you have a degree and some life under your belt. 

Just my $0.02 on the matter. If Law Enforcement is what you really want then go for it. But you need to know what youre getting into as @Mitch (IFRIT) said. You need to be very very sure. If you have any doubt or reservations about the job then you need to either address that, or look at a different line of work. Im not trying to scare you away or anything like that. But it is a very stressful and also dangerous. You have to make a personal commitment to yourself when you decide it is what you want to do. 

Good luck to you! 

Hey man i appreciate the $0.02. I'm gonna try going to college for Criminal Justice and then going to the academy but the fucking student loans will litterly suckkkk but its alright. Thank you everyone who responded as I will take everyone's statements into consideration Besides @Blind Berserker. <--- go die jk

Dredge likes this
7 hours ago, Tricks said:

Not really, it's just because you live in a shitty part. I can go to the college right down the street from me and become a RN for half the price of university.

The part I live in is great, just not many jobs for LEO compared to other states.