Malden on the Asylum

Malden is a new map released for free to all owners of Arma 3 tomorrow. It's a smaller map, somewhere between the size of Stratis and Tanoa, which has a very arid environment. It looks very similar to Stratis, only with more cities and a larger area.

We've found that due to its size it won't play very well for Life, and so we're going to make it available to Strife. I understand that people will dislike the lack of a new place to play our primary mode, Life, but given what the map offers it simply wouldn't last. In addition, it's not enough to warrant new hardware which would mean that if we did put out a Malden Life server it'd mean replacing an existing Altis Life server, which we feel just isn't worth it.

So on release day you'll get your hands on Malden Strife. The existing Strife server is going to rotate between Malden and Tanoa so those of you without Apex can give Strife a shot.

Pwnsome, FudgeR, badger and 25 others like this

@Paratus , @bamf , @Gnashes you have a huge life community not a community that looks to play a King of the Hill style, strife has already seen a drastic drop in the number of players on it since release. ( Although i understand this may be Tanoa map fault but most people I have talked to Asylum veterans is that they don't get a good feeling while playing that type of game mode) The reason in the past the smaller maps have not been successful for life servers is because they have been neglected and left to rot by developers who don't fix broken things or take community advice to fix things and make it a little more successful. I believe mailden is a great map for a life server due to the fact of its size and ability to interact with people more easier then Altis. Furthermore if you just included everything into the map like Iritis, Orcas, SWAT, Meth, Pure Coke, people would come play cops and civs but this has never happened in the history of Altis where a smaller map had everything incorporated into it from Altis, there has always been one thing or another missing from each of the following servers described (I.E. Banks, Feds, Prisons.). I do understand you wanna promote the idea of strife but this community has always loved the fact and played here for the reason of not having jets & tanks flying around and the ability to only buy 7.62 with 2x scopes.  

All i saying is that you should either host a community Teamspeak meeting to talk about future changes to Asylum and let the community know what direction you wanna go in or open this choice up to a community pinned thread that people vote for what style map they would like for Mailden. 

Edited by Allstarplaya
Just now, Steve said:

@Paratus What do you think about making an infantry only strife server? I like the game mode but If we had the ability to choose to shoot people for fun with little hurting to our bank on a server like strife I think the community would appreciate it a great deal.

+1 I like the idea of an infantry server, but not sure how it would work way strife is now I feel infantry based should be quick based with less points (KOTH). I do enjoy the arma vanilla feel on strife as is. However I feel 2 strife servers would separate the community more.

4 minutes ago, Josh Boon said:

+1 I like the idea of an infantry server, but not sure how it would work way strife is now I feel infantry based should be quick based with less points (KOTH). I do enjoy the arma vanilla feel on strife as is. However I feel 2 strife servers would separate the community more.

I bet more people would play the infantry only server or at least the same amount. At the same time this gives both groups of people what they want.

Boonie Hat likes this

Stoked to hear Malden will be rotated with Tanoa. As for the rest of you whiners, the Life servers are still healthy with plenty of people to play with. Strife isn't hurting the RP servers and no one is forcing you to play Strife. If anything it given folks another outlet to enjoy the Asylum community. 

If you don't like it then go to some other hardcore RP and let other people enjoy themselves. 

Silver-Spy likes this
Just now, Cobra said:

Stoked to hear Malden will be rotated with Tanoa. As for the rest of you whiners, the Life servers are still healthy with plenty of people to play with. Strife isn't hurting the RP servers and no one is forcing you to play Strife. If anything it given folks another outlet to enjoy the Asylum community. 

If you don't like it then go to some other hardcore RP and let other people enjoy themselves. 

Its not that we are ungrateful for the strife servers, what we are mad about is that instead of working on updates for Life servers Paratus has created this entirely new  game mode which has taken all his development time away from working on anything for Altis Life Servers away. 

Edited by Allstarplaya
Kettles, Steve, thero and 3 others like this

My dev focus will shift back to Altis once the main issues with Strife are fixed. Lots of bugs there still. I have a few features already pretty deep into development which I'll be fixing up soon.

I get you guys want more Life updates, and they'll come, but understand you're part of a community and a lot of people enjoy Strife. You can both play what you enjoy.. you're not forced into one place or another. The fact that the two have such huge differences in gameplay style is intentional. They're not both meant to cater to everyone.

Just now, Allstarplaya said:

Its not that we are ungrateful for the strife servers, what we are mad about is that instead of working on updates for Life servers Paratus has created this entirely new  game mode which has taken all his development time away from working on anything for Altis Life Servers away. 

His time. His servers. Stop crying

Just now, Paratus said:

My dev focus will shift back to Altis once the main issues with Strife are fixed. Lots of bugs there still. I have a few features already pretty deep into development which I'll be fixing up soon.

I get you guys want more Life updates, and they'll come, but understand you're part of a community and a lot of people enjoy Strife. You can both play what you enjoy.. you're not forced into one place or another. The fact that the two have such huge differences in gameplay style is intentional. They're not both meant to cater to everyone.

You say that your focus will shift back to Altis life servers once you fix the bugs on strife but with the fact you have a newborn baby still and Identity on the horizon, i feel like this strife game-mode is a ploy to hold the community off once again for months on end for the next big thing to come asylum. I think you need to address the community in an open-panel discussion on YOUR teamspeak that you have paid for years on end, then open the floor for community questions and concerns,. (We used to do this back in the day with Mowtown).

Although many people are loyal to Asylum servers the competition with other similar life servers has gotten much closer then it was in the past. (Especially with Olympus opening a new server this week.) Asylum is no longer the most developed life server on Arma 3 anymore and many of us want to see it return to its former glory. 

Term, Steve, Haych and 4 others like this

Well I'm a little disappointed as I was looking forward to Malden Life but if the logistics don't make sense based on map size then there's not much to do about that. I was just saying yesterday to a few friends that Malden would make a good Strife map so at least we're getting that although I would like to see an infantry only version of strife on Malden. The map seems too small for jets etc but a good size for koth sized battles.

bum41 likes this
40 minutes ago, Eric916 said:

same. so did strife replace asylum life servers? are they easier to maintain or something?

wtf is going on here?

Well paratus is just updating constantly strife servers and no other devs is doing anything other than bug fixes on life so unless paratus does something on life i dont think were gonna get anything decent