I'm a Pizza Guy

AceDread

I won't specify the business, but everyone has heard of it and it doesn't start with a P.    I just got home from work about twenty minutes ago (3:30 AM PST), and my shift started at 6:15 pm. 

The day started out pretty slow, which sucks.  I don't necessarily like the system of tipping, but it's what makes the job worth doing.  A slow day means less opportunities for tips.

Anyway, I finish eating my Jimmy John's sandwich (beach club, no mayo, extra hot cherry peppers) and clock in. I don't take my first run till around 6:30 pm.  It's two orders of wings,

plain, paying in cash.  I already know I'm not getting tipped. 

The order is for an apartment complex about 4 miles from the store.  A closer run means less gas spent, and because I already knew it was a stiff (pizza guy lingo for an order that

doesn't tip), this is a good thing.  Typically, I get a little frustrated when I get stiffed.  Despite what some people may think, delivering pizza isn't exactly an easy job.  No, it does not

require four years of college and two years of internship with a similar business, but it is dangerous.  Driving in the place I live in is a big challenge. Everyone drives like they're

playing Forza. Obviously, thats a bit of an exaggeration.  However, driving is, indisputably, the hardest part of the job.  One mistake and I could die, or worse, be permanently

disabled/disfigured.   

So, I fight my way thru rush hour traffic and make it to the apartment safely.  I'm pretty familiar with the complex, so I'm at the correct building in no time.  Usually, the customer waits

until I ring the doorbell, but this time, the customer in question was outside, sitting in her wheelchair. 

I hop out of my air conditioned car and into the sweltering heat and begin to approach the lady.  From about 10 feet away, I can already tell something is a little off about her.  Shes

gotta be at least 70 years old.  She's wearing a bright pink night gown with no pants and no socks or shoes.  She's very overweight.  Not morbidly obese, but probably pretty close. 

Her legs were very bright red, as if she was badly sunburned, but everything below her knee was pale white.  From about 10 feet away, it seems like some kind of ointment. 

When I was within talking distance, around two feet away, I can immediately tell this was NOT ointment.  She's diabetic.  Her legs were in the beginning stages of necrosis. I don't

know all the technical medical details, but for those who don't know, necrosis only occurs in very extreme diabetes.  In order to keep your fat, for lack of a better word, alive, your body

needs to create new blood vessels.  However, if there are too many blood vessels, your blood becomes to thin, which inhibits your body's ability to keep the rest of your body supplied

with blood.

So your body decides to destroy old blood vessels so it can keep the rest of your body supplied with blood.  Obviously, it's not going to destroy a blood vessel in the brain so it can

create a blood vessel in your fat.  It starts with your extremities. 

This, white cream, that I saw from a distance, was actually pus coming from large open wounds all around her lower legs.  Because there wasn't enough blood reaching her lower

legs, the tissue began to die.  This created large, bloody wounds that are all but guaranteed to become infected. The skin seemed as if it was melting away. I counted 10 flies ON her

legs, possibly laying eggs on the wounds. .  I can only begin to imagine what her apartment looks like.  Or smells like. 

When I got back in my car, I was kind of in shock.  I've seen people, literally, cut in half alive on the internet.  Skin flayed off the face, eyes gouged out, cutting off fingers, hands,

arms, legs, people being burned alive; but seeing something as "mild" as this, in person was completely different. It actually stuck with me.   None of those things compelled me to rant

about it on some gaming community's  forum that maybe 5 people will even care enough to read.

Now, I should say, I've been fat my entire life. I'm not going to soften the blow, as many do, by calling myself "heavy", or "overweight."  The literal definition is fat. I've struggled with it

my whole life, and I haven't changed.  Not because I've failed, but because I gave up.  I'm not morbidly obese, (6'2, 290 lbs), but that is fat.  I've heard people say to me "Oh, you can't

call yourself that, that's mean you have to love yourself, you don't need to change", and also say, "Yeah, if you don't change, you could be dead when you're 40".  BOTH sides are

right.    In order to change, loving yourself is a NECESSITY.  If you don't care about YOUR OWN LIFE, it is not wise to assume someone else will.  If you don't care, you won't change.

That run bothered me the whole day.  I realized if I don't truly set my mind to changing my habits and my diet, my future could turn out like that lady.  Slowly wasting away alone, in

immense pain, faced with the choice of amputation or certain death.  Being permanently crippled to a chair or couch, unable to even clean yourself.  To cook, to drive, to have sex,

breathe normally, hold things with your hands.  No.  That will not be me.  I will not destroy myself because I am too weak to prevent it.  I love myself more than that, and I need to prove

to myself that I do. 

Edited by AceDread
.Sean, Thor..., Kettles and 4 others like this

Ill give you the best advice no one here has the nads to say, put your computer in a safe or uninstall all games and block yourself from all media like YouTube and if you are a weeb cut that shit right now. The internet, especially gaming, give you a false sense of accomplishment and feeling of responsibility, take a month off all that shit and I guarantee within the first weeks you'll start having this feeling in your body and you'll ask yourself, "what the fuck am I doing", when this feeling hits go to the gym or start hitting up some girls and get that confidence up. Look at steam as a whole, it is a breeding ground of self loathing, miserable fucks who blame everyone but themselves for their issues. If you live in the USA, think of this, 80% of the worlds population makes 10$ or less in a days work, when you can work some easy pizza job, in an air conditioned car, on an IEDless road, and make more in an hour than they do in a days work. Take advantage of that fucking opportunity, literal billions of people would give everything to be in your situation, so don't fucking waste it. Think of real life as the ultimate video game, you buy a game and it lasts maybe a year and then it goes out of style, then look back and realize all that effort was for nothing, in real life, your effort directly pays off in the greatest way, life's the game you should be playing not this bullshit

Just now, OldManJenkins said:

If you live in the USA, think of this, 80% of the worlds population makes 10$ or less in a days work, when you can work some easy pizza job, in an air conditioned car, on an IEDless road, and make more in an hour than they do in a days work.

Dammit you made coffee come out of my nose!

OldManJenkins and Boone like this
3 hours ago, AceDread said:

I won't specify the business, but everyone has heard of it and it doesn't start with a P.    I just got home from work about twenty minutes ago (3:30 AM PST), and my shift started at 6:15 pm. 

The day started out pretty slow, which sucks.  I don't necessarily like the system of tipping, but it's what makes the job worth doing.  A slow day means less opportunities for tips.

Anyway, I finish eating my Jimmy John's sandwich (beach club, no mayo, extra hot cherry peppers) and clock in. I don't take my first run till around 6:30 pm.  It's two orders of wings,

plain, paying in cash.  I already know I'm not getting tipped. 

The order is for an apartment complex about 4 miles from the store.  A closer run means less gas spent, and because I already knew it was a stiff (pizza guy lingo for an order that

doesn't tip), this is a good thing.  Typically, I get a little frustrated when I get stiffed.  Despite what some people may think, delivering pizza isn't exactly an easy job.  No, it does not

require four years of college and two years of internship with a similar business, but it is dangerous.  Driving in the place I live in is a big challenge. Everyone drives like they're

playing Forza. Obviously, thats a bit of an exaggeration.  However, driving is, indisputably, the hardest part of the job.  One mistake and I could die, or worse, be permanently

disabled/disfigured.   

So, I fight my way thru rush hour traffic and make it to the apartment safely.  I'm pretty familiar with the complex, so I'm at the correct building in no time.  Usually, the customer waits

until I ring the doorbell, but this time, the customer in question was outside, sitting in her wheelchair. 

I hop out of my air conditioned car and into the sweltering heat and begin to approach the lady.  From about 10 feet away, I can already tell something is a little off about her.  Shes

gotta be at least 70 years old.  She's wearing a bright pink night gown with no pants and no socks or shoes.  She's very overweight.  Not morbidly obese, but probably pretty close. 

Her legs were very bright red, as if she was badly sunburned, but everything below her knee was pale white.  From about 10 feet away, it seems like some kind of ointment. 

When I was within talking distance, around two feet away, I can immediately tell this was NOT ointment.  She's diabetic.  Her legs were in the beginning stages of necrosis. I don't

know all the technical medical details, but for those who don't know, necrosis only occurs in very extreme diabetes.  In order to keep your fat, for lack of a better word, alive, your body

needs to create new blood vessels.  However, if there are too many blood vessels, your blood becomes to thin, which inhibits your body's ability to keep the rest of your body supplied

with blood.

So your body decides to destroy old blood vessels so it can keep the rest of your body supplied with blood.  Obviously, it's not going to destroy a blood vessel in the brain so it can

create a blood vessel in your fat.  It starts with your extremities. 

This, white cream, that I saw from a distance, was actually pus coming from large open wounds all around her lower legs.  Because there wasn't enough blood reaching her lower

legs, the tissue began to die.  This created large, bloody wounds that are all but guaranteed to become infected. The skin seemed as if it was melting away. I counted 10 flies ON her

legs, possibly laying eggs on the wounds. .  I can only begin to imagine what her apartment looks like.  Or smells like. 

When I got back in my car, I was kind of in shock.  I've seen people, literally, cut in half alive on the internet.  Skin flayed off the face, eyes gouged out, cutting off fingers, hands,

arms, legs, people being burned alive; but seeing something as "mild" as this, in person was completely different. It actually stuck with me.   None of those things compelled me to rant

about it on some gaming community's  forum that maybe 5 people will even care enough to read.

Now, I should say, I've been fat my entire life. I'm not going to soften the blow, as many do, by calling myself "heavy", or "overweight."  The literal definition is fat. I've struggled with it

my whole life, and I haven't changed.  Not because I've failed, but because I gave up.  I'm not morbidly obese, (6'2, 290 lbs), but that is fat.  I've heard people say to me "Oh, you can't

call yourself that, that's mean you have to love yourself, you don't need to change", and also say, "Yeah, if you don't change, you could be dead when you're 40".  BOTH sides are

right.    In order to change, loving yourself is a NECESSITY.  If you don't care about YOUR OWN LIFE, it is not wise to assume someone else will.  If you don't care, you won't change.

That run bothered me the whole day.  I realized if I don't truly set my mind to changing my habits and my diet, my future could turn out like that lady.  Slowly wasting away alone, in

immense pain, faced with the choice of amputation or certain death.  Being permanently crippled to a chair or couch, unable to even clean yourself.  To cook, to drive, to have sex,

breathe normally, hold things with your hands.  No.  That will not be me.  I will not destroy myself because I am too weak to prevent it.  I love myself more than that, and I need to prove

to myself that I do. 

you're still on the forums??? oh dear lord...

On 7/8/2017 at 6:26 PM, massi said:

love how you say you want to change but don't say how

the motivation is strong in this one

you must be one of those new years resolutioners 

"NEW YEAR NEW ME"

*2 weeks later quits the gym*

Btw, since you cared enough to comment, but not read it, I should let you know my habits (sedentary lifestyle) and my diet are what must change.  Easier said than done, but there you go. 

Besides, it's pretty straightforward that, in order to lose weight, you have to eat better and work out.  Do you really think that it needs to be said?

3 hours ago, AceDread said:

Btw, since you cared enough to comment, but not read it, I should let you know my habits (sedentary lifestyle) and my diet are what must change.  Easier said than done, but there you go. 

Besides, it's pretty straightforward that, in order to lose weight, you have to eat better and work out.  Do you really think that it needs to be said?

You can lose weight based off calories not what you eat but if you cut calories and watch what you eat it makes a bigger difference.