A guide to not be garbage in combat

Todd Howard

This guide for noobs and semi noobs maybe even people with hella hours may learn a thing or two. Simple things, worth remembering. And like everything, it all comes together with practice.

Not a lot of hours but enough to know every inside and out of combat.

f3367cde69c032283d8325dee2590e40.png

This guide will cover =

Combat stance

Advanced crouch/prone/standing

Quick peeking

Adaptive Crosshair

FOV

Using cover / concealment

Combat Stance

You can switch into combat stance by pressing C. This keeps your gun up and your crosshair on your screen so you are ready for anything instead of having to stop moving to get your gun up. This is useful for pushing basically everything in Arma and keeps you ready to fire your weapon. If on Apex controls you need to tap C twice.

Crouch walking not in combat stance:                               Crouch walking in combat stance:

e376c3b19f07f0011743fd1fb93bd01b.png                                                    1abe1edc9297f59074af2915e52876e4.png      My crosshair is shown in the second because I am in combat stance, ready to shoot.

Advanced crouch/prone/standing

You can use advanced stances by holding control, and pressing W,A,S, or D. Essentially, these put you into what I like to call "upper" or "lower" versions of crouching and standing and even prone. 

Now as you can see in these two following pictures, in regular standing my gun barrel doesn't clear the H-barrier so I switch into upper standing to clear it and get a good shot.

4a2e0dd9af61cb00cde158d12d7984b0.png   e8be1aef02a1bb4238a0bab51d402fdc.png

Now, these stances are good for quick peeking. If I was to press X in Upper standing, I would lower into Upper crouching, and vice versa. Simple things that will save your life.

896fb82b8a337d04b2e26ecb8931c41a.png  edfd3ff87a535d2cc26edf6ba3ba94e8.png

You can use these advanced positions in prone too, but rarely do I personally use them as they are slow to recover from and dangerous to drop into most of the time. Experiment for yourself.

Quick peeking

Quick peeking really just explains itself, to quick peek effectively though you need to disable adaptive crosshair which is my next section in the guide. 

Quick peeking involves getting your crosshair onto your target while crouched behind cover, scoping in, standing up and firing quickly then crouching into cover again.

Adaptive Crosshair

Adaptive crosshair enabled essentially shows what your bullets will hit, it adapts to the inanimate objects you would hit if you were to fire. Disabling it simply keeps the crosshair in the middle of the screen at all times. I extremely recommend this as it's very useful for quick peeking and less of a hassle than your crosshair sticking to shit in front of you.

You can switch adaptive crosshair off in Configure>Game and it's in the left column near the bottom.

Examples of it enabled, and disabled.

e923206b05218f2efde355d35dc92e48.png  be2e7905ca8fdb4772ff4c0829502583.png

FOV

Now if you have seen montages I know that you have seen a screen so fuckin zoomed out before. This is useful to see more around you and personally alot better in CQC.

You can switch in game to zoom out by double tapping the ' - ' button on your NUMBERPAD. Although if you want to keep it this way you can change your FOV in the game documents, just search on YouTube I'm too lazy to explain it.

f2b935cfb756ca6396e283d05b09e206.png

Using cover / concealment

This is what really changes your fighting style especially in places like fields and other shit. Lets start with the difference of concealment and cover.

Concealment = Hiding yourself, bushes, shrubs, things people can shoot you through but hopefully not see you. People with low settings have grass that doesn't render for them from a certain distance so be careful. 

Cover = Self explanatory. Something you're pretty safe behind like an H-Barrier. BUT H-barriers can be penetrated in the corner of them so be careful.

Onto how to use this cover. What really changed the game for me was learning how to use hills, ridges, rock walls and other simple shit to my advantage. Using hills and elevated terrain is super useful. Fire shots from one part, descend down run across pop up, fire some more shots. It leaves your enemies clueless. Remember, try to move after firing some shots. It's predictable to stay in the same spot. If you've played for a while you would know that it really is common sense but for new players this information is handy.

42eab1c754100b27bdbd7ffb740d9115.png 027d29000e479179b2fb5d4256a2bf01.png ea0116c3babb5c774b1d4cd23b7528fe.png

Thank you for reading all the way until here, my first guide so take it easy. I do know that I missed few things for advanced combat, and I didn't go extremely in depth but I touched on some important information. :frog:

Edited by Todd Howard
Alec-I, Farmer Steve, Walt and 5 others like this
9 minutes ago, Todd Howard said:

Combat Stance

You can switch into combat stance by pressing C. This keeps your gun up and your crosshair on your screen so you are ready for anything instead of having to stop moving to get your gun up. This is useful for pushing basically everything in Arma and keeps you ready to fire your weapon.

Crouch walking not in combat stance:                               Crouch walking in combat stance:

e376c3b19f07f0011743fd1fb93bd01b.png                                                    1abe1edc9297f59074af2915e52876e4.png      My crosshair is shown in the second because I am in combat stance, ready to shoot.

@Mitch (IFRIT)

1 hour ago, Todd Howard said:

This guide for noobs and semi noobs maybe even people with hella hours may learn a thing or two. Simple things, worth remembering.

Thank you a lot for this guide, Todd Howard.

Can't wait to use your tips to fight sand and rocks at the cartels!

Edited by explicit
Clint Beastwood is a fucking retard :)
Google™ and Gatorade like this
39 minutes ago, Todd Howard said:

This guide for noobs and semi noobs maybe even people with hella hours may learn a thing or two. Simple things, worth remembering.

Interesting,

Come on Derek don't be fucking Toxic. You made it to friday

Edited by Sugarfoot
Brendon Smith and Shifty like this