New SSD

bigjohn561

Hello, I just got my data cable for my new ssd in the mail.

Sadly I do not know how to set up my system to use ssd and everything else use my harddrive.

yes I alrdy hooked it all up so im kinda just looking for someone to help me out on moving files/programs.

ty kindly

30 minutes ago, bamf said:

Two choices:  

1. Reinstall the OS to the SSD (a fresh install). Always a good thing to start over. 
  2. Clone the HD to the SSD. Lots of SSDs come with software to do this. See if yours did. 

2tb hd wont fit in a 500gb ssd... can I on only clone wats needed?

also mine didn't come with any disc.

Edited by bigjohn561

No, it would be a 1:1 clone. I'd reinstall Windows on the SSD and then move the games over that you want to launch quickly to the new drive. Steam can have multiple libraries as well, so games you want on the SSD vs ones you just want to have installed is something you can actually do as well. 

Bit I think your best bet is to install Windows to that SSD and go from there. I'd unplug the old drive while installing as well. 

bigjohn561 likes this
44 minutes ago, bamf said:

No, it would be a 1:1 clone. I'd reinstall Windows on the SSD and then move the games over that you want to launch quickly to the new drive. Steam can have multiple libraries as well, so games you want on the SSD vs ones you just want to have installed is something you can actually do as well. 

Bit I think your best bet is to install Windows to that SSD and go from there. I'd unplug the old drive while installing as well. 

ok thx bamf. ill look up on how to do all that. ty for ur time

bamf likes this