New build this week!

The Boss

Just now, The Boss said:

Well seems that was a bit of an oversight. Checking quickly, seems I may should still be able to increase the base clock just not the multiplier 

You're not overclocking then. You can do the same thing with a none K. Either get an unlocked CPU with a Z170 board or a locked CPU with a B-250 / H-170.

Edit: The multiplier can be changed the length that your CPU can turbo bust.

Edited by Norwegianviking
Just now, Norwegianviking said:

If you don't trust me you can go and ask people about the build in https://linustechtips.com/main/ and people will tell you that you cannot overclock with that board

I'm not disagreeing with you, I hadn't looked into Mobo's that much as I was more concerned with the CPU socket and didn't even think to check if it was unlocked. It was an oversight on my part. If I don't get the performance I would like I'll just get a new mobo. Thanks for the input!

Edited by The Boss
4 hours ago, The Boss said:

I know it's mainly CPU, which is why I switched to intel. I don't play arma as much as I used to, but it did play a part in this build. Personally I think that the i7's aren't worth the extra money for the hyper threading but that's my opinion. In anycase. Parts are already ordered so this is what I'm gonna stick with for a while now :) Thanks for the feedback though!

Arma is all about single-core performance

For what it's worth.

8 hours ago, James.Anderson said:

And overclock your CPU

B250 boards don't allow CPU overclocking. Even if they did, they're aimed at lower end processors hence their budget price and budget build quality. 

7 hours ago, The Boss said:

I saw a good OC for the i5 is around 5GHz so that's what I'm aiming for

Again, you can't overclock on B250. Even if you somehow managed, you'd never achieve 5GHz, the board wouldn't be able to cope. 5GHz is also very hot as you have to crank up the voltage, something which a hyper 212 evo wouldn't be able to handle.

SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

That is a good SSD, SanDisk are decent. 

7 hours ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Liquid cooling?

Waste of money, can't overclock on B250. 

7 hours ago, Scott said:

Arma runs mainly off of CPU and I'm pretty sure the i5 will bottleneck the 1080. If you mainly play arma I'd got for an i7 and a 1070

Games largely rely on single core performance. The difference between the same generation i5 and i7 is very small meaning it wouldn't be a worthy upgrade. Doesn't make sense to spend $100 more to maybe get a few percent in performance gains. i7s have hyper threading and are more suited to multi-threaded workloads hence why the i5 still has its place.

I fail to see how the CPU wouldn't bottleneck the 1080 on a CPU oriented game.

An i5 7600K is a very good performer single threaded wise, I can't see many other CPUs being able to outperform this to a reasonable extent. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

ASUS 24" 1920x1080 60Hz

Really isn't much point getting a 1080 if you stick with that monitor. A 1060 would suit that more, a 1070 would be decent. 60Hz will only display 60FPS, something which the 1080 at even ultra settings on most games will easily double. Overclocking it will also just be for pretty little numbers on your screen, your monitor can't display it and all you'll be doing is putting more stress on the GPU, heat wise for no apparent reason.

The Boss and explicit like this
6 hours ago, Deny said:

B250 boards don't allow CPU overclocking. Even if they did, they're aimed at lower end processors hence their budget price and budget build quality. 

Again, you can't overclock on B250. Even if you somehow managed, you'd never achieve 5GHz, the board wouldn't be able to cope. 5GHz is also very hot as you have to crank up the voltage, something which a hyper 212 evo wouldn't be able to handle.

That is a good SSD, SanDisk are decent. 

Waste of money, can't overclock on B250. 

Games largely rely on single core performance. The difference between the same generation i5 and i7 is very small meaning it wouldn't be a worthy upgrade. Doesn't make sense to spend $100 more to maybe get a few percent in performance gains. i7s have hyper threading and are more suited to multi-threaded workloads hence why the i5 still has its place.

An i5 7600K is a very good performer single threaded wise, I can't see many other CPUs being able to outperform this to a reasonable extent. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Really isn't much point getting a 1080 if you stick with that monitor. A 1060 would suit that more, a 1070 would be decent. 60Hz will only display 60FPS, something which the 1080 at even ultra settings on most games will easily double. Overclocking it will also just be for pretty little numbers on your screen, your monitor can't display it and all you'll be doing is putting more stress on the GPU, heat wise for no apparent reason.

Already been told that I fucked up with the Mobo, didn't check if it was unlocked.

I was going to get a 1060 6gb but the outlet I wanted to buy it from ran out of stock, and the 1080 was only a tad bit more.

As I said in a previous post, I fucked up with the mobo... but if I can get the kind of performance I'm looking for I'll keep it... if not I'll order a new one next week.

Do appreciate the feedback!

Edit: I did a little bit of checking, while it won't be a true OC I should be able to increase the base clock and extend the boost range.

Edited by The Boss

I can run Arma 3 without any frame drops with a Ryzen 1700x and a GTX 1080. I only have a 1700x due to my multi-tasking. The 1080 is overkill for just Arma 3. For just Arma, the best quad-core you can get will do you best. You should then get a SSD instead of a 1080; A 1070 will serve you fine. 

1 hour ago, Maric said:

I can run Arma 3 without any frame drops with a Ryzen 1700x and a GTX 1080. I only have a 1700x due to my multi-tasking. The 1080 is overkill for just Arma 3. For just Arma, the best quad-core you can get will do you best. You should then get a SSD instead of a 1080; A 1070 will serve you fine. 

I ordered a SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive.

It came today :)