Aleec Spazeed, the man Asylum needs but doesnt deserve.

Here's the sad truth guys, the game you want to play is not the game those in charge want to make.

In the early days there was enough overlap to keep everyone happy but with each major patch came another inflection point away from the original cops and robbers format. 6.0 is probably the most salient example of the diverging interests of devs and the players. The players were content with asylum as it was for the most part—except the complaints about a lack of end game content— but the devs wanted to reinforce the core gameplay loop that most players gladly opted out of as soon as they made enough money. It was a critical misunderstanding of what people played for. People liked that once you made enough money, you could go on fighting and messing around indefinitely. With 6.0 the era of all fun and no grind died. Only to be replaced with the era of perennial grind and very limited combat.  

Due to limitations of the Arma engine, Asylum isn't deep enough to make a grind rewarding. It would be far better to stick to what makes Asylum great, fun interactions and meaningful small unit infantry combat. 

There's a lot more I could say on this issue, from the bad bounty hunter update to the paltry payouts for time consuming activities, but it's all been discussed ad nauseam at this point.

TL;DR: The devs want to make an RPG, the players want to play cops and robbers.

MrSmoke, Budbringer, Walt and 27 others like this
1 hour ago, Buckwalter said:

Here's the sad truth guys, the game you want to play is not the game those in charge want to make.

In the early days there was enough overlap to keep everyone happy but with each major patch came another inflection point away from the original cops and robbers format. 6.0 is probably the most salient example of the diverging interests of devs and the players. The players were content with asylum as it was for the most part—except the complaints about a lack of end game content— but the devs wanted to reinforce the core gameplay loop that most players gladly opted out of as soon as they made enough money. It was a critical misunderstanding of what people played for. People liked that once you made enough money, you could go on fighting and messing around indefinitely. With 6.0 the era of all fun and no grind died. Only to be replaced with the era of perennial grind and very limited combat.  

Due to limitations of the Arma engine, Asylum isn't deep enough to make a grind rewarding. It would be far better to stick to what makes Asylum great, fun interactions and meaningful small unit infantry combat. 

There's a lot more I could say on this issue, from the bad bounty hunter update to the paltry payouts for time consuming activities, but it's all been discussed ad nauseam at this point.

This is right on point, nobody but the devs enjoy the endless grind. This isn't a Korean MMO, I never understood why Paratus treated it like one. When Tonic made Altis Life, it was a simple cops vs robbers mission file and it's the same recipe Asylum followed up until the switch to the grinding philosophy. Also, creating cartels that were strictly rebel vs rebel that restricted APD presence also took away from that cops vs robbers aspect. 

People keep asking for new things but that won't happen because real developers cost money and those that know SQL/SQF that well likely run their own mission files/mods and aren't interested in being a contributor. Paratus made Strife as a last ditch effort to keep the community alive and it may have worked if the rewards had been properly adjusted and the bugs worked out but that never happened and I remember reading one of his posts where he seemed pretty frustrated by the Asylum community's incessant whining/shit talking and probably decided "fuck them" after that.

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz
Walt, Alec-I, Silver-Spy and 1 other like this

On my phone so in not gonna make a huge post. However, it is now obvious that the devs ideas and keeping the community out of devolpment has not worked, look at the player count. It wouldn't hurt to actually start listening to the community. What people are wanting isn't even complicated. Pre 6.0 is when Asylum was at its peak, does that mean everything was perfect?  No, I would definitely keep group cap in. But the core of no money cap, the old cartels that put the money straight into the gang account, cheaper loadouts and less grinding was far more fun.

Ask yourself this. Why did all the big name streamers stop streaming Asylum after 6.0?  It's because nobody was interested in it, it's not near the game.  Combat sets your bank account back too much, the money cap is keeping people from having fun. The jobs on asylum are all pretty grindy and boring, forcing that as the core gameplay has always been a mistake.

@bamf @Gnashes All I gotta say is don't pull the same shit that Blizzard is pulling with WoW. You don't know better, people know what kind of game they want to play and be apart of the community instead of against it.

Edited by Sheriff Rick Grimes
Azeh, K A Z E M, Meow Meow and 8 others like this

I think asylum has to many servers and one or two need to be cut (Ik people will bitch because they have houses and stuff I have houses also) asylum has a very small player base considering what It was 1-2 years ago and because we have 4 servers that number is spread thin, (also another reason why people say gang life is dead/dying) cutting one or two servers will make it so there's less places for gangs and players to run if they want to make money it will force gangs to be closer together and more fights will occur.

Take this opinion with a grain of salt I dont play much anymore and if I do I just fuck around most of the time, I am just going off of what I have seen in the past few days.

Kitui, Atra, MoralityVII and 2 others like this
Just now, Brendon Smith said:

I think asylum has to many servers and one or two need to be cut (Ik people will bitch because they have houses and stuff I have houses also) asylum has a very small player base considering what It was 1-2 years ago and because we have 4 servers that number is spread thin, (also another reason why people say gang life is dead/dying) cutting one or two servers will make it so there's less places for gangs and players to run if they want to make money it will force gangs to be closer together and more fights will occur.

Take this opinion with a grain of salt I dont play much anymore and if I do I just fuck around most of the time, I am just going off of what I have seen in the past few days.

Cutting down the servers is not the solution. Giving the features the players ask for is the the real solution. 

Edited by Steve
8 minutes ago, Steve said:

Cutting down the servers is not the solution. Giving the features the players as for is the the real solution. 

Cutting down and listening to the community is the solution because at this point asylum grew to much in a short amount of time and died out so now everyone is on 1 and 2 no-one is on 3-4 and everyone goes on there to make meth or what ever they do for money, Besides cutting down the servers is easy for the devs to do and because its easy they might do it. They dont want to take the time to give us what we ask for they are busy laughing at us for still playing.

Edited by Brendon Smith
Atra, Alec-I and BioHazard like this
17 minutes ago, Brendon Smith said:

Cutting down and listening to the community is the solution because at this point asylum grew to much in a short amount of time and died out so now everyone is on 1 and 2 no-one is on 3-4 and everyone goes on there to make meth or what ever they do for money, Besides cutting down the servers is easy for the devs to do and because its easy they might do it. They dont want to take the time to give us what we ask for they are busy laughing at us for still playing.

What if they cut out your main server with all your houses? If they cut out the server with my best houses on it, I am done for good.

Edited by Steve
Sheriff Rick Grimes likes this
Just now, Steve said:

What if they cut out your main server with all your houses? If they cut out the server with my best houses on it, I am done for good.

Likewise and Im on S3 & I have already taken into account that people will be pissed off and some will leave but its the best decision I believe asylum can make as of now

Edited by Brendon Smith

Likewise and Im on S3 & I have already taken into account that people will be pissed off and some will leave but its the best decision I believe asylum can make as of now

In my opinion, knocking out 1 or 2 servers will only last so long. It would just be another simple band aid to Asylums real problems which are server performance and lack of consideration/listening to the vast majority of the vocal communities opinion. Those servers would be dead as well in a few months time.

Just now, Tom said:

100 likes on this thread

Still nothing

Just now, Steve said:

In my opinion, knocking out 1 or 2 servers will only last so long. It would just be another simple band aid to Asylums real problems which are server performance and lack of consideration/listening to the vast majority of the vocal communities opinion. Those servers would be dead as well in a few months time.

Tom's thread is the perfect fucking example. 

Removing servers is a very bad idea. I can tell you now that I've worked hard on my houses on server 3, if I lost them I'd be done. The devs making changes the community is wanting is a step in the right direction. Removing servers will kill Asylum faster

Edited by Sheriff Rick Grimes
Just now, Patrick Swayze2.0 said:

Just be like the OSRS jagex team, actually listen to your fkn community instead of forcing shit on players. 

Or just continue forcing shitty updates on the players and lose your whole player base :frog:

6.0 was the equivalent of EOC btw, @Ronald pity like pls. 

Pity liked.

Pity like please

Just now, Steve said:

Well unless you have a better opinion I am open the devs dont want to listen to us and add what we want we have given them time they have given nothing but updates we dont need/want. At this point they can only slow down the death of asylum. As for the server performance if they did cut a few servers it frees up resources to help the remaining servers 

Just now, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

Removing servers is a very bad idea. I can tell you now that I've worked hard on my houses on server 3, if I lost them I'd be done. The devs making changes the community is wanting is a step in the right direction. Removing servers will kill Asylum faster

Coming from the person who wanted to remove jets I cant take you seriously.

Well unless you have a better opinion I am open the devs dont want to listen to us and add what we want we have given them time they have given nothing but updates we dont need/want. At this point they can only slow down the death of asylum. As for the server performance if they did cut a few servers it frees up resources to help the remaining servers 

In the end it's there servers they can do what ever they want with them. At the same time their actions and decisions regarding its development and management have consequences. It's a very good possibility Asylum will shut down for good in the near future because of the developers arrogance and how stubborn they are.

Brendon Smith likes this

Fall of asylum partially coincides with the fall of the blufor faction. Which coincides with gang nerf.  All the people who were high up in gangs went to the APD because their gang disbanded or hardly played, this resulted in them getting positions of power and basically shitting on what the APD was by not giving a single fuck about RP.  When the faction that is the forefront of what the server is supposed to be goes to shit the rest is sure to follow.  What you have now is a bunch of whiny little fucks that scream "im reporting you" and "self defense" for everything. 

3 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

I agree and disagree Buck. I am one of those who really enjoyed the original cops and robbers format and loved making shit tons of money. I had a duty to stay the #1 most wealthy person in the community for that whole time lol.  While yes you could say "the era of all fun and no grind died" after 6.0, you are forgetting about all the major issues that were going on that solicited the need for change. Hence, 6.0.

I believe what made me enjoy the game the most was not about what features were or were not added to the game, I honestly believe it was the playerbase at the time that made the servers great. This was a time before the adaptive crosshair quick peak shot from deerstands and towers bullshit. This was a time before people even considered using DPI glitching, lagswitching, or aim assist auto hotkeys. This was a time when people actually RP'ed. I'm not talking A3L levels of hardcore RP (how do you know my name?) crap, but at least some level of thought was put into RP. And this was a time when the average age of the playerbase was not 12 like it is today.

Point I'm trying to make is, I don't believe that it would really make a hill of beans if the devs reverted back to pre 6.0 at this point. The playerbase I enjoyed playing with is practically non-existent. Hence why I became increasingly more and more non-existent in this community as time went on. Hence why I stepped down from CM basically.  

Also for everyone else, I do believe a lot of your feelings of "The good old days" can be chalked up to what I call "The Nostalgia Effect" I posted about it over a year and a half ago here...

Kind Regards,

DJSci I mean Volunteer.

Just now, Volunteer281 said:

I agree and disagree Buck. I am one of those who really enjoyed the original cops and robbers format and loved making shit tons of money. I had a duty to stay the #1 most wealthy person in the community for that whole time lol.  While yes you could say "the era of all fun and no grind died" after 6.0, you are forgetting about all the major issues that were going on that solicited the need for change. Hence, 6.0.

I believe what made me enjoy the game the most was not about what features were or were not added to the game, I honestly believe it was the playerbase at the time that made the servers great. This was a time before the adaptive crosshair quick peak shot from deerstands and towers bullshit. This was a time before people even considered using DPI glitching, lagswitching, or aim assist auto hotkeys. This was a time when people actually RP'ed. I'm not talking A3L levels of hardcore RP (how do you know my name?) crap, but at least some level of thought was put into RP. And this was a time when the average age of the playerbase was not 12 like it is today.

Point I'm trying to make is, I don't believe that it would really make a hill of beans if the devs reverted back to pre 6.0 at this point. The playerbase I enjoyed playing with is practically non-existent. Hence why I became increasingly more and more non-existent in this community as time went on. Hence why I stepped down from CM basically.  

Also for everyone else, I do believe a lot of your feelings of "The good old days" can be chalked up to what I call "The Nostalgia Effect" I posted about it over a year and a half ago here...

Kind Regards,

DJSci I mean Volunteer.

While I certainly understand your point, I think it's possible you're failing to recognize the connection between our arguments. You have to wonder why the entirety of Asylum, gameplay and community, experienced a precipitous decline after 6.0. Now to be clear, I don't begrudge Paratus or Motown for taking things in the direction they felt was necessary and healthy at the time. Some of those changes were absolutely necessary, but after so much time has elapsed it's time to candidly acknowledge some of these changes have had negative consequences and fundamentally changed Asylum for the worse. 

Doubtless, some degree of Golden Age Thinking has polluted my objectivity in this matter, as many of my friends quit playing after 6.0 and even more quit after the forum/cop reset. That being said, I think you'd be hard-pressed to make cogent argument that your "fun per minute ratio" has gone up over time.

If you recall, at the time I was quite in favor of the changes made in 6.0. I thought it was a real problem that people were able to ignore the core gameplay so easily, as it created roaming gangs of 30-40 players whose sole source of entertainment was tormenting the cops. That was a real problem, but forcing people into artificial poverty to dissuade them from constantly engaging with the funnest parts of the game was a mistake. A group cap was the answer, not forcing people into an endless loop of menial fetch quests.

This artificial imposition of poverty also ties into the attitudinal issues you mention in your post. When money gets tight, losing becomes a bigger issue and people start taking things more seriously to spare themselves the drudgery of grinding for gear. Of course that isn't the only factor, there has been an undeniable shift in the community's culture. RP is all but dead, and I don't have a simple fix for that one other than to say that people are more apt to roleplay when they have a reason to. It's a tricky problem. 

I won't suggest that going back to the way things were would restore Asylum to its former glory, but it might just make the moment to moment gameplay enjoyable enough to bring some good people back. 

PS In the immortal words of Hannibal Barca "Git Gud Low-tier scrub fam, I'm a fucking legend fam kappa fam"