Losing Weight - Getting Fit again

Midamaru

Hey guys i wanted to make this thread to reflect on my "method" which im going to use to lose weight.

Curious if you see any flaws or disagree with things or give me tips.

I'm sure that there's others out here in our community working on their weight too so i thought it'd be nice to make it a public thing.

Some personal statistics:

I'm 97kg (214lbs), 183cm (6ft)

Have a deskjob, hobbies mainly behind the computer but i've done alot of running/gym in the past (which i'm going to pick up again).

I've gained quite some weight due being sick for a couple of months so first off i gotta start eating healthy.

My daily food goal is: 

1950 kcal (243g carb/65g fat/97g protein/0 sugar)

Going to start off with doing 5x 30mins cardio a week and after building up some stamina hit the gym for lifting.

Once i hit the gym for weight training i'll double my protein to 194g to help muscle building.

My weight lose goal: 

80kg

Not sure if i'll try gain muscle before i hit that though, i ideally wanna go for that lean/fit body, not particulairly ripped.

@Sugarfoot I know you're ripped af, gimme some wisdom

Edited by Midamaru
bum41, Space, Kev 23 and 1 other like this
Just now, Midamaru said:

Hey guys i wanted to make this thread to reflect on my "method" which im going to use to lose weight.

I'm sure that there's others out here in our community working on their weight too so i thought it'd be nice to make it a public thing.

Have a deskjob, hobbies mainly behind the computer but i've done alot of running/gym in the past (which i'm going to pick up again).

I've gained quite some weight due being sick for a couple of months so first off i gotta start eating healthy.

My daily food goal is: 

Going to start off with doing 5x 30mins cardio a week and after building up some stamina hit the gym for lifting.

Once i hit the gym for weight training i'll double my protein to 194g to help muscle building.

gl

Just now, Midamaru said:

My daily food goal is: 

PERSONAL TRAINERS HATE THIS SIMPLE TRICK

you don't need to work out everyday or even eat healthy to look like @Sugarfoot

just jack off twice a day, once using your right arm and once using your left arm

ez weight loss and muscle gain

Space and badger like this
Just now, Treeherder said:

The key is to just eat healthier (organic, reduce sugar and processed foods, skip desert most nights, ect.), not necessarily eating less. weight loss will come as a side effect of being healthier overall. Working out a bit can't hurt either but you don't have to be killing yourself by any means.  

I don't do soda, deserts or any of that crap. Lately i just ate ALOT probably due being bored/body wanting it. So for me it's just about reducing i think. 

3 minutes ago, Noble said:

Focus on cardio while maintaining some lifting. I would say shoot for more protein to help you maintain muscle mass while you cut. Lifting should keep your metabolism up once you put off some weight. Once you cut, lower cardio and increase lifting

Doing some home exercises next to the cardio. (pushup/situp/burpees/squats)

Just went jogging for a hour too *STILL GOT IT BABY*

@Noble how much more protein do you suggest? 97g currently

Edited by Midamaru

For me, I go to school, and work, which takes up most of my time. I try to go to the gym when I can. However, when I can't make it to the gym I try to limit myself to below 1k calories. Either one big meal, or two smaller meals scattered throughout the day, maybe lunch, then late dinner. It all depends, theres no PROVEN method, it's just what works for you. I went from 220lbs in December 2016, to 182 in April 2017. It's all about portion control, although you think you may want more food, eat less, let your stomach do what it does and retract. For me I used to just eat a lot, with friends, while I gamed. However, changing my diet helped most.

Most weight is lost by dieting, although exercise and cardio can help tremendously it's really not NECESSARY. Just focus on eating well, eating less and trying to be active whenever you can, if you're able to stand while working, do it; if you're able to get up and move around whilst at work or even at home, do it. Don't sit there and be lifeless. 

Edit: This is a method for strictly losing weight, yes lifting and monitoring macros is essential to building muscle, it's not for losing strictly fat. However, I recommend if you genuinely care about gaining muscle, to watch your macros, and focus more on lifting rather than cardio.

Edited by hamsham12
bum41, Daniels and Budbringer like this

You don't even need to work out to lose weight..Just change your diet and eat simple ingredients and nothing processed.

You need to eat more then 1 type of combination of healthy foods since you will get bored quick and go back to eating juice

bacon cheese burgers with cheesy fries on the side.

Super Foods should def be in your diet!

Avocado, Seaweed, Blueberries, Kale etc.. there are tons google them and its expensive to eat healthy so you will 

be spending more on food but its quality and fuel for your system.

GL

Just now, Azeh said:

1k?? I don't think that's good for you

I mean.... It might not be "healthy" but I normally intermittently fast, on accident, I normally get home around 8-9, eat dinner, then sleep. Normally I don't eat until that same time again, unless i'm abnormally hungry. 

My average calories is probably around 1200-1600. It's just what worked for me I don't really get hungry often..But yea, I could eat more and work out more to be more "healthy" you are right about that.

Just now, Azeh said:

If you're fine with 1000 a day then it's possibly not a big issue. Assuming your TDEE is about 2500, a deficit of 1500 just seems insane. 

I doubt it's 2500, if it is, i'm surprised. I did my TDEE a while ago and I was somewhere around 2300 calories a day to maintain my weight. My metabolic rate was like 1950 or something. Now it's probably a bit less since at a lower weight. I'm currently 189 5'11. My body fat is somewhere around 20-26% body fat. I'd like to get around 15% and weigh around 180lbs, however it's going to be difficult and very time consuming. I don't know if I have the motivation to do it.

Just now, hamsham12 said:

I doubt it's 2500, if it is, i'm surprised. I did my TDEE a while ago and I was somewhere around 2300 calories a day to maintain my weight. My metabolic rate was like 1950 or something. Now it's probably a bit less since at a lower weight. I'm currently 189 5'11. My body fat is somewhere around 20-26% body fat. I'd like to get around 15% and weigh around 180lbs, however it's going to be difficult and very time consuming. I don't know if I have the motivation to do it.

Just make your room colder when you play. Burn more calories the colder it is doing nothing. 

@Midamaru , Well not that anyone beleives this but again -  I work in a cubicle at a desk doing Software Engineering for IBM.

oh yeah and @Glass of Water what do you think the lady behind me is for

I like you so Ill message you the secrets in your inbox

Edit: Ill post it in the open since you fucking guys have literally no idea what you are doing. Losing Weight doesn't mean anything when you aren't doing it the right way. You cut corners and its not going to be fun when your kidneys shut down in two years.

1. Count your calories. 2000 is the diet number but thats at the end of the day, not the start. What I mean by that is you can eat whatever number you feel that you need to as long as you finish the day with under 2000. I eat around 1800-2200 calories a day but I always finish around 1500-1900. That's the science behind losing weight.

Now how do you get to that point? It all depends on how you want to go about it.

I don't do cardio unless I have a Mens League or a Tournament coming up. Its fucking boring and I can literally stand and do my work while losing my weight. However if you want to eat more then you probably will need to run.

-  Watching what you eat. This obviously makes sense because if you eat crap what do you think you probably will look like? This doesn't mean just go cold turkey one day. You should make better and better choices as you go on. On top of that there's a lot of factors in things that you probably never realized.

- The cheese on a burger is roughly 200 calories. Thats around 10% of your calories. You can still have a burger and fries if you want but do the math.

Burger = 300 + 200 (Cheese) +150 (Toppings and condimens) + 140-170 (Bun) = 750 on average.

Fries = 500 usually

This totals at 1250 which is bad (even worse at a restaurant. You really shouldnt have a meal that takes up 3/4 of your daily calories. With this being said, you can do the math,

Take the cheese off, -200, swap mayo and bacon for pickles and ketchup, -120, and maybe put it on regular bread if you can, - 70.

This turns your burger into 300 + 30 + 70-100 = 500. 

If you still wanted your fries you are at 1000 and thats perfectly fine.

2. Sitting in your chair , this is killing your metabolism and lets face it - were getting older. People love to tell you standing is so good for you but they never tell you why. Standing obviously helps your posture, muscles, and the last part no one looks up - is it burns calories. Yes you can burn calories without sweating, in fact if you stand a half an hour for every hour that you work you will burn between 200-300 calories. Thats equivalent to 1.5 - 2.5 miles on a treadmill. You burn around 50-70 calories per hour standing.

I stand for 6 hours so thats around 360 calories burned for me just from that.

3. "Fasting". Everyone loves to tell you to fast but they have no fucking idea what they are talking about and try to use fancy words. The plain simple fact is between the last meal of the day and the first meal of the next day you burn fat. The less you have in you, the more you burn. Anything more then 10 calories will break this fasting. An easy way to do fasting is to set times to eat. I eat at 12 and 7 every day. I use my sleep cycle to cheat my way through an extra 8 hours making my fasting period 17 hours. You obviously wont start off at something that high but make baby steps.

4. Workout. Again, this is whatever your perogative is but I never intended to lose weight just to be a twig. I wanted to look a certain way and working out not only helped build muscle but added on average 200 calories burned on top of the rest.

TLDR: 

1. "Fasting", Eat at 12 and 7 with a protein shake and a peice of fruit inbetween. Not a drop of anything after, as well as only water for drinks

2. "Standing", Stand for a minimum of 4 hours a day, ideally 6.

3. "Counting", Eat around 1800-2200 calories before counting your deductions. If you eat too little you will gain weight from your body going into a panic state.

4. Any excercise is good for you and will speed up the process. Its not needed, but that would all depend on how long you are willing to wait for gains. Im fine with a half a pound to a pound a week.

5. I can give you a list of what I eat as well if you want. My meals cost $2.50 and taste good.

6. Keep your sugars under 35g and your proteins around 140-180 until you start looking at nutrition in the grocery store.

Ive lost over 100 pounds through basketball, and gained back around 40 of it. Over time I lost that 40 doing what I said above

Edited by Sugarfoot
1 hour ago, Sugarfoot said:

@Midamaru , Well not that anyone beleives this but again -  I work in a cubicle at a desk doing Software Engineering for IBM.

oh yeah and @Glass of Water what do you think the lady behind me is for

I like you so Ill message you the secrets in your inbox

Edit: Ill post it in the open since you fucking guys have literally no idea what you are doing. Losing Weight doesn't mean anything when you aren't doing it the right way. You cut corners and its not going to be fun when your kidneys shut down in two years.

1. Count your calories. 2000 is the diet number but thats at the end of the day, not the start. What I mean by that is you can eat whatever number you feel that you need to as long as you finish the day with under 2000. I eat around 1800-2200 calories a day but I always finish around 1500-1900. That's the science behind losing weight.

Now how do you get to that point? It all depends on how you want to go about it.

I don't do cardio unless I have a Mens League or a Tournament coming up. Its fucking boring and I can literally stand and do my work while losing my weight. However if you want to eat more then you probably will need to run.

-  Watching what you eat. This obviously makes sense because if you eat crap what do you think you probably will look like? This doesn't mean just go cold turkey one day. You should make better and better choices as you go on. On top of that there's a lot of factors in things that you probably never realized.

- The cheese on a burger is roughly 200 calories. Thats around 10% of your calories. You can still have a burger and fries if you want but do the math.

Burger = 300 + 200 (Cheese) +150 (Toppings and condimens) + 140-170 (Bun) = 750 on average.

Fries = 500 usually

This totals at 1250 which is bad (even worse at a restaurant. You really shouldnt have a meal that takes up 3/4 of your daily calories. With this being said, you can do the math,

Take the cheese off, -200, swap mayo and bacon for pickles and ketchup, -120, and maybe put it on regular bread if you can, - 70.

This turns your burger into 300 + 30 + 70-100 = 500. 

If you still wanted your fries you are at 1000 and thats perfectly fine.

2. Sitting in your chair , this is killing your metabolism and lets face it - were getting older. People love to tell you standing is so good for you but they never tell you why. Standing obviously helps your posture, muscles, and the last part no one looks up - is it burns calories. Yes you can burn calories without sweating, in fact if you stand a half an hour for every hour that you work you will burn between 200-300 calories. Thats equivalent to 1.5 - 2.5 miles on a treadmill. You burn around 50-70 calories per hour standing.

I stand for 6 hours so thats around 360 calories burned for me just from that.

3. "Fasting". Everyone loves to tell you to fast but they have no fucking idea what they are talking about and try to use fancy words. The plain simple fact is between the last meal of the day and the first meal of the next day you burn fat. The less you have in you, the more you burn. Anything more then 10 calories will break this fasting. An easy way to do fasting is to set times to eat. I eat at 12 and 7 every day. I use my sleep cycle to cheat my way through an extra 8 hours making my fasting period 17 hours. You obviously wont start off at something that high but make baby steps.

4. Workout. Again, this is whatever your perogative is but I never intended to lose weight just to be a twig. I wanted to look a certain way and working out not only helped build muscle but added on average 200 calories burned on top of the rest.

TLDR: 

1. "Fasting", Eat at 12 and 7 with a protein shake and a peice of fruit inbetween. Not a drop of anything after, as well as only water for drinks

2. "Standing", Stand for a minimum of 4 hours a day, ideally 6.

3. "Counting", Eat around 1800-2200 calories before counting your deductions. If you eat too little you will gain weight from your body going into a panic state.

4. Any excercise is good for you and will speed up the process. Its not needed, but that would all depend on how long you are willing to wait for gains. Im fine with a half a pound to a pound a week.

5. I can give you a list of what I eat as well if you want. My meals cost $2.50 and taste good.

6. Keep your sugars under 35g and your proteins around 140-180 until you start looking at nutrition in the grocery store.

Ive lost over 100 pounds through basketball, and gained back around 40 of it. Over time I lost that 40 doing what I said above

Pics or it didn't happen