PC Upgrade Feedback

Cobra

As the holiday season arrives I'm thinking of using some of my spare cash to make some upgrades to my rig. As it stands I'll need a new motherboard to support an i7-7700K. However, I'd wanted to pick your brains and see if there's anything should capitalize on aside from a new motherboard or CPU. My rig runs pretty well for a majority of games including Arma, so I was also thinking about getting some SSD to replace the dinosaur hard drive I have. Thoughts?

Budget: No more than $2000

Current Specs:

Spoiler

CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz    34 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
    10.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H97M-D3H 

Graphics
   4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)   

Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 (SATA)    
    232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1 (SATA)    

Power Supply:

EVGA 500 B1 100-B1-0500-KR 80+ BRONZE 500W 

Just now, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

I will always be a firm believer that ssd will completely change your experience with arma. Seems like a nice set up. I would personally upgrade my processor and my ram. Go for the 8700 and get some ddr4. If you have spare cash. Look into getting into the 10 series graphics. 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2 GHz 6-Core LGA 1151 12MB Cache
  • DDR4: G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel Z170 
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel

That'll total up to about $677.59, more or less. 

That leaves me with some wiggle room for some new SSDs. I already have one 1TB seagate, any brands worth their weight?

Edited by Cobra

Here's what I'm looking at the moment:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gHdYM8

@Austin Rogers The Original,you beat me to the punch on that one. Well with the current edits, it looks like I have enough room for a either fans and a new power supply since I'm using is a 500W.   

@Azeh

The MSI MB you mentioned, is it because that motherboard is easier to overclock with? I haven't dabbled in overclocking much since I've never been in a position to really need it. Either way, what can say about liquid cooling? I've seen this product mentioned before, but I've been always cautious about liquid cooling. So far I really dig the list you created. 

Edited by Cobra

Just now, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

8700k plus 1070 Ti.

Hmm interesting...

@BigBunnehDee if that's the case I'll shoot for a similar build, I'll just reuse my fans and heatsink. The 960 EVO SSD I'll probably pick up later in the month or later in the holiday season and see what deals pop-up. I'm probably going to settle for this. Makes me comfortable in handling majority of games and uploading videos. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L6rCGf

Edited by Cobra
Just now, Azeh said:

Really solid build, but like I said - spend some money on a 144hz monitor if you don't have one already. If you have a 1080p 60Hz monitor then this build is a waste.  
You'd probably want a better cooler than the Hyper Evo 212 unless you want your PC to be a heater. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzv6h/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15 (but if you get this, make sure you've got enough space in your case)

I really don't think $600 for an SSD is worth, but that's just me. I have a few games (Arma 3, PUBG and DayZ) on a 128gb SSD + my OS. Everything else on a HDD.

@Norwegianviking might have some input. 

i got a 500gb Samsung SSD for 250AUD which is like 200USD i have my OS on a 128gb SSD, all steam games on the 500gb, and i got a 2tb for other shit

No you were right @Azeh, I was thinking of getting the one Austin linked. Like I said, I'm not exactly hurting in that department and everything boosts up pretty quickly. I'm willing to wait for a deal than toss $600 - $1.2k for M.2. I got the monitor covered and since this build is suppose to be an upgrade + learning experience I'll try out the H60. For the listed price it won't break the bank. 

THe case is spacious to play around with, it's a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 High-Airflow ATX Midtower. Best case I've ever invested in. 

Edited by Cobra
Azeh likes this

I know it's already been said but i can't stress new ram enough. If you get 16GB of DDR4 you won't have to upgrade ram for a very long time. Also if you are looking to replace any HDDs Western Digital Black is a really great HDD for a good price and you still get really great speeds. I think a 2TB is like $70? And finally you are probably going to need some cooling if you get a new GPU and CPU and if you are like me and can't be bothered to set up water cooling and have a full tower you can get a Noctua NDH 15 air cooler that is super quiet but keeps everything pretty damn cool. Heres a SS of my current idle temps on Noctua air cooling... https://gyazo.com/30d85d9b8c31b7a9ac13be8bf8dd796e i've had temps as cold as 16C while just chilling out and watching a movie or something.

Cobra likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

So I decided not to be a bitch and go full throttle on this upgrade into basically building a new Gaming/Video Editing PC.  Here's how it looks, just waiting for the last of the parts to arrive and I'll start building. The only question I have is this, are there any monitors any of you would recommend for this build? The cost savings of re-used parts allows me some wiggle room to invest in a second screen. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sX8QTH

A Very Special Thanks To:
@Azeh @Mitch (IFRIT) @Tusken Raider @Lucien @BigBunnehDee @Austin Rogers The Original @Tyler @Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz

Thank you all for giving me helpful feedback to reflect and think on. You've definitely given me something to be thankful for this holiday season. 

Edited by Cobra
15 hours ago, Cobra said:

Update:

So I decided not to be a bitch and go full throttle on this upgrade into basically building a new Gaming/Video Editing PC.  Here's how it looks, just waiting for the last of the parts to arrive and I'll start building. The only question I have is this, are there any monitors any of you would recommend for this build? The cost savings of re-used parts allows me some wiggle room to invest in a second screen. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sX8QTH

A Very Special Thanks To:
@Azeh @Mitch (IFRIT) @Tusken Raider @Lucien @BigBunnehDee @Austin Rogers The Original @Tyler @Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz

Thank you all for giving me helpful feedback to reflect and think on. You've definitely given me something to be thankful for this holiday season. 

I would be careful with a mid tower that noctua might not fit its a large air cooler with 2 radiators and 2 fans thats why it works so well.

https://gyazo.com/ba7787505840663691457feae1308500

this is what it looks like installed.

Cobra likes this
Just now, Azeh said:

Yup, plus I made sure this particular case was compatible with the cooler. 

Tyler likes this