Preformance. Upgrade cpu or gpu?

drex

Currently have a i7 5820k and nvidia 970.

I get pretty good fps at cartels on lowish settings. but when i go into cities my frams drop. 

It’s definitely better than some peoples experience but I spend a lot of time on arma and I want to upgrade. 

Should I upgrade to nvidia 1080 and/or a i7 6700k. I want to know what each would do cost vs preformance (as in would it be worth the money). What would each do individually? and if i do happen to get both what would that do to the preformance. I’m looking to see whether i should go with just a cpu/gpu upgrade, or maybe just upgrade both. 

What do y’all think??

Edited by drex
DosWolf likes this
Just now, drex said:

Currently have a i7 5820k and nvidia 970.

I get pretty good fps at cartels on lowish settings. but when i go into cities my frams drop. 

It’s definitely better than some peoples experience but I spend a lot of time on arma and I want to upgrade. 

Should I upgrade to nvidia 1080 and/or a i7 6700k. I want to know what each would do cost vs preformance (as in would it be worth the money). What would each do individually? and if i do happen to get both what would that do to the preformance. I’m looking to see whether i should go with just a cpu/gpu upgrade, or maybe just upgrade both. 

What do y’all think??

How much RAM do you have ? Thats a very important factor for a game like Arma which uses a lot of Ram. Now between your CPU and your GPU the weakest part is your GPU. I would upgrade that one first depending on if you have sufficient Ram.

Arma is one of the most CPU intensive games, if I were you I'd try to play with your settings because actually at low settings most of your load is on your CPU and not GPU, try turning your settings up a bit and see if there's any performance difference. If anything, your CPU is great. Upgrade your cooling system and do a bit of overclocking and see where that gets you, and make sure Arma is on your SSD.

Just now, General Baked Potatoes said:

How much RAM do you have ? Thats a very important factor for a game like Arma which uses a lot of Ram. Now between your CPU and your GPU the weakest part is your GPU. I would upgrade that one first depending on if you have sufficient Ram.

so get a 1080? also maybe add 16 to gbs of ddr4 to the 16 i currently have?

Edited by drex
Just now, ben flint said:

Arma is one of the most CPU intensive games, if I were you I'd try to play with your settings because actually at low settings most of your load is on your CPU and not GPU, try turning your settings up a bit and see if there's any performance difference. If anything, your CPU is great. Upgrade your cooling system and do a bit of overclocking and see where that gets you, and make sure Arma is on your SSD.

I don’t want to tweak my settings and worry about that. i have done that for so long i’m just ready to upgrade and see where it gets me. i’m gonna put it on my ssd tonight 

Edited by drex
Just now, Norwegianviking said:

5820k will last you years, if you want more performance out of it then start OC. No upgrade will give you a really big increase in FPS. Save your money and buy your mom and dad a special Christmas present.

haha. they would be buying me the upgrades.

Just now, ImJustMaikey said:

You don't really need a i7 for arma. Mostly for editing and such. 

I5's can be fine enough. Ofcourse if u don't care about money go for i7 

Adding arma on your SSD will help out aswel. 

Also what motherboard do u use? That can be an upgrade aswel 

MSI i don’t know the specifics 

Just now, drex said:

so get a 1080? also maybe add 16 to gbs of ddr4 to the 16 i currently have?

You have sufficient Ram, 16GB is the good. Like most people recommended i would put Arma on your SSD and bring up your settings a bit. But so far from what i see your weakest part is your GPU BUT because you have everything on low you are not using much of your GPU anyways, you gotta have that balance in usage between your CPU and GPU. CPU's can't take all the load ;)

Disclaimer: My advice is probably the best on this topic!

I run on full ultra and get 60+ fps everywhere (including Kavala). My specs are i5 6600k overclocked to 4.2GHz, EVGA 1060 SSC, FAST DDr4 RAM, and an SSD. 

Overclock your cpu and gpu if you can. invest in fast DDR4 ram, or up it's speed in the bios (some have this option), and GET AN SSD. Arma is relatively light with ram usage so it has to constantly be reading/writing to and from your disk, thus fast ram and an SSD are essential; doing this will eliminate your frame drops when scoping in and in cities. Your Cpu and Gpu should be fine as are, just try overlocking and be sure to set your launch options to optimize all your RAM, VRAM, CPU cores, and hyper-threading if you have it.

Edited by Treeherder
Cougar. and drex like this

IMO, upgrade to a 1080. Not because it will make a difference in ARMA, but because it will future proof you for other games. The CPU is fine, add a decent OC and you're fine. SSDs usually make no difference in actual gameplay as they mostly effect loading times and shouldn't matter once things are loaded. They can give you a decent pagefile though, but pagefiles normally won't help much in games. 

People saying buy high speed ram, why do you hate money? It's been shown that RAM over 2666mghz makes almost no difference in 90% of games. Also, you don't need more than 16gbs of RAM unless you're running 5 adobe applications and VMs concurrently.

And whoever said upgrade MOBO, as log as your mobo has enough slots for you and offers decent OC options as well as runs a fairly up to date chipset, don't bother. 

Also. I have a 770 (3gb) 16gb of some random ass ram and an i7 3770k @ 3.9ghz. I get plenty of FPS on Olympus and decent FPS on Asylum and decent FPS in most games ad medium-low. Please don't waste your money upgrading your PC to get FPS solely on a dying and poorly coded server. Upgrades do not guarantee you better FPS on Asylum or ARMA in general. They serve simply as future proofing. 

When you see people's 60FPS videos and streams, thats often smoother than their actual gameplay. Video post-processing and rendering often make footage look far better than it does IRL. 

Edited by Axe

I play on a laptop and get 60 frames most of the time, first off what you should try doing is opening up your documents and going to the folder Arma 3 - Other Profiles

and opening a notepad, it will be what ever name you play in game with 1452c3c31535bda31bd4528bd21f7db8.png<- It will look like the 2nd name in that picture and after you open the notepad scroll to the bottom where it says scene complexity and set it to 200000 no more, no less.

This should up you about 20-30 fps.

drex likes this
Just now, Cougar. said:

I play on a laptop and get 60 frames most of the time, first off what you should try doing is opening up your documents and going to the folder Arma 3 - Other Profiles

and opening a notepad, it will be what ever name you play in game with 1452c3c31535bda31bd4528bd21f7db8.png<- It will look like the 2nd name in that picture and after you open the notepad scroll to the bottom where it says scene complexity and set it to 200000 no more, no less.

:thinking: your still trying to convince people u play on a laptop you fool:frog:

Cougar. and drex like this
4 hours ago, drex said:

Should I upgrade to nvidia 1080 

Yes if you can afford to upgrade everything do it if you want to.  I've been saving up personally and am about to make the same upgrades.  :) hello ultra.  Also getting a nice monitor myself which I recommend my friend.

Edited by DJB
11 hours ago, DJB said:

Yes if you can afford to upgrade everything do it if you want to.  I've been saving up personally and am about to make the same upgrades.  :) hello ultra.  Also getting a nice monitor myself which I recommend my friend.

I I have decided to upgrade my computer case exchange the part into the new better call computer case and then going to overclock my 5820k because it is not running at its optimal levels and replace my 970 with a 1070.

16 hours ago, Treeherder said:

Disclaimer: My advice is probably the best on this topic!

I run on full ultra and get 60+ fps everywhere (including Kavala). My specs are i5 6600k overclocked to 4.2GHz, EVGA 1060 SSC, FAST DDr4 RAM, and an SSD. 

Overclock your cpu and gpu if you can. invest in fast DDR4 ram, or up it's speed in the bios (some have this option), and GET AN SSD. Arma is relatively light with ram usage so it has to constantly be reading/writing to and from your disk, thus fast ram and an SSD are essential; doing this will eliminate your frame drops when scoping in and in cities. Your Cpu and Gpu should be fine as are, just try overlocking and be sure to set your launch options to optimize all your RAM, VRAM, CPU cores, and hyper-threading if you have it.

Thanks! Yes i’ve decide to get a new case which will allow me to overclock my i7 5820k and then i’m going to get a 1070 so i should be good to go!

15 hours ago, Cougar. said:

I will try this. Hopefully this isnt a meme that will get me script banned lmao.