Change log 8.0.4

bamf

Just now, bamf said:

I like your MS Paint skills @Smee.  In terms of servers being full though, I could theoretically have brought S2 up last night given the server populations.  S2 has (mostly) been down b/c it runs on a non standard port and BIS had that screwed up until yesterday.  

Paratus hopes to be done with the code I need to make all this work today.  That will give me a chance to test it tomorrow, and potentially put it into play for the weekend.  I think that the thing people are not thinking about here is that higher population servers tend to stay more full.  The hope is that we can bring in new people to the community by having servers that are more populated.  As that happens, the servers spin back up automatically - not on some schedule.  As I looked last night, you had to spam into S1 if you wanted to play there.  S3 and S4 both had ~90 players online.  That's good for the overall community.  

I agree that little patch notes here and there are good as well.  I also agree that we need "new stuff", and I'm working on a new system that I think will at the least be interesting for people.  

giphy.gif

Clockwerk, BlackShot, Kev 23 and 1 other like this
Just now, bamf said:

25c05ad649758fe877599733fcdc297f.png

I see this going two ways for the APD, 

1. Only constables play because nobody wants to be whitelisted on a server that isn't reliably up.

2. Everybody is whitelisted and it ends up like Tanoa where nobody plays because there is nobody to brown nose. 

I don't see how with the current way precincts work you could have two servers that are only up when they meet a certain criteria. Basically screws anybody that wants to play on S3/S2 during non prime NA time.

Edited by Legit
Just now, Legit said:

25c05ad649758fe877599733fcdc297f.png

I see this going two ways for the APD, 

1. Only constables play because nobody wants to be whitelisted on a server that isn't reliably up.

2. Everybody is whitelisted and it ends up like Tanoa where nobody plays because there is nobody to brown nose. 

I don't see how with the current way precincts work you could have two servers that are only up when they meet a certain criteria. Basically screws anybody that wants to play on S3/S2 during non prime NA time.

If the do what bunni originally said and set the player cap to 80 we will be good. Players will naturally be forced to spread out more but no one loses access to their houses during non peak time.

If I was a new player and just bought my first house on server 2 or 3 then this happens I'd be fucking furios.

On 12/6/2017 at 10:38 AM, william said:

With people talking about their precious houses on S2, eat a dick. You didnt feel bad for the people who were in the same boat on tanoa, at least you get to keep what was inside your houses. Im not getting on at this because I owned any houses on tanoa (i didnt) just thinks its a bit silly people lost all their stuff on tanoa yet S2 people are getting annoyed at theirs being gone, which they will be able to access soon and when you empty it just wait until a friday/saturday night and it will be open because all the servers will be full then just sell it.

I'm not upset about losing my houses. Tanoa people were given plenty of warning before the server was shut down and compensated ((somewhat)) for their houses.

Server went down without a word and switched to gang server, No one complained until after the gang wars was over and 2 didn't come back online. All i was looking for was communication or at least a heads up telling people this was going to happen in regards to the servers future, i would be more than happy to switch server's but im not going to begin the process of finding houses and grinding gang talent points if S2 is going to be back in full capacity.

TLDR: Wanted to know the plan from Developers so i could plan for the future of my gang/apd precinct 

Edited by Patato
Sikorsky, Kettles and Bannab1 like this
Just now, Patato said:

ITLDR: Wanted to know the plan from Developers so i could plan for the future of my gang/apd precinct 

My hope is that S2 will be online during "prime time" all the time honestly.  The issue we have during the off peak hours is that having 5-10 people on a server is silly, and that's what I'm hoping to try to help some.  If it's 30 or 40 people on that server, perhaps new players to the community would see that and be willing to join.  

Just now, bamf said:

My hope is that S2 will be online during "prime time" all the time honestly.  The issue we have during the off peak hours is that having 5-10 people on a server is silly, and that's what I'm hoping to try to help some.  If it's 30 or 40 people on that server, perhaps new players to the community would see that and be willing to join.  

Just pay people to pay on server 2

Just now, bamf said:

So is the thing Gnashes said actually going to happen? cause what @Steve has mentioned multiple times sounds like a better plan to me instead of messing everything up involving Precincts, House value, etc

Just now, Kevingreen23 said:

So is the thing Gnashes said actually going to happen? cause what @Steve has mentioned multiple times sounds like a better plan to me instead of messing everything up involving Precincts, House value, etc

Putting the servers down to 80 people isn't the solution honestly.  It sounds good in theory, but the fun in a Life server is bumping into people.  Artificially lowering player count on a server so that you can scale the number of servers out goes against that.  I want more people on each server, and I want all the servers up.  Think of this as servers being down during the daytime like other communities do - accept you'll still have access to the things that are stored in your house.  I think that's what people are losing here is that I see the servers up during the prime hours, just not during off peak.  

Edit:  Also of note is that cops that play during the off hours will still have the ability to use precinct features provided their server is offline.

BlackShot, Atra, Donald and 1 other like this
Just now, bamf said:

Putting the servers down to 80 people isn't the solution honestly.  It sounds good in theory, but the fun in a Life server is bumping into people.  Artificially lowering player count on a server so that you can scale the number of servers out goes against that.  I want more people on each server, and I want all the servers up.  Think of this as servers being down during the daytime like other communities do - accept you'll still have access to the things that are stored in your house.  I think that's what people are losing here is that I see the servers up during the prime hours, just not during off peak.  

well that sounds good but what if the servers barely ever reach enough players to bring 2 or in some rare cases 3 up, say 2 maybe only comes up like twice a week.

Just now, Kevingreen23 said:

well that sounds good but what if the servers barely ever reach enough players to bring 2 or in some rare cases 3 up, say 2 maybe only comes up like twice a week.

S2 would have been up each evening this week I believe.  Again, this is about trying to grow the community and bunch people together.  Let's give it a chance to actually run and then we can see how it works.  

FudgeR, Kev 23, Atra and 2 others like this
Just now, bamf said:

S2 would have been up each evening this week I believe.  Again, this is about trying to grow the community and bunch people together.  Let's give it a chance to actually run and then we can see how it works.  

and what happens if the community doesn't like it? will you change it back to what it originally was?

FudgeR likes this
Just now, bamf said:

Edit:  Also of note is that cops that play during the off hours will still have the ability to use precinct features provided their server is offline.

Just now, bamf said:

This is the type of communication i want from the devs. Excellent work +1

Edited by Patato
Donald likes this
Just now, Brendon Smith said:

@bamf 50K is a lot for a RPG round yes its a one shot one kill on a person like most explosives in arma but on vic's its not always a one hit like the vest is and people buy vests for that assured one hit in most cases, So maybe you might consider lowering the price for the rockets?

Id say 40 to 35k would be fair 

X Jake and Brendon Smith like this
12 hours ago, bamf said:

great, my captain whitelist will transfer to them all! 

Just now, bamf said:

That's Arma, not us.  You're getting full Arma damage now.

They disable Striders in 1 shot now rather than 3-4, id say they are strong enough, and if you make certain things red in an Orca it may crash. I think the RPG's are perfect where they are at, they needed the buff (coming from someone who mainly plays cop and hates RPG's) but also not ridiculously over-powered.

Edited by <Jake>