These unstable servers are becoming a huge problem for Asylum.

The servers have only gotten worse. It's nearly impossible to play on the servers if there are more than 60 players connected. I haven't been able to enjoy my playing experience these past few weeks because of the lag and instability.

The BattlEye kicks are rampant and constant. Asylum is gradually losing players. It's just the truth. People don't want to play unstable servers; many are going to leave to other Altis Life communities.

This idea of holding ourselves back and blaming Bohemia is completely stupid. It doesn't help at all to blame Arma for dying out, either. This is a community, and it's going to fall apart because nothing is being fixed. I really love this community, but it is not going to hold together for much longer if this continues. I don't want to see Asylum die out. Is it really Bohemia's fault, or is it Asylum's development at fault?

Why have we not changed server hosts/server hardware temporarily, just to test? Why are we blaming Bohemia and the falling player count of Arma instead of attempting to fix the problem? Do other competing Altis Life servers have the same issue?

The servers literally cannot handle more than 60 players at once without severe lag or BattlEye kicks. Is there a possible source to these issues, such as inefficient scripts or lack of server resources? Why don't we try getting rid of useless scripts that only hog server resources, such as the rally races? Bringing the server count from 4 to 2 does not seem to help either; it's just congregating more players into a smaller space, creating more kicks and dissatisfaction among the community.

What do you guys think? We need to get together as a community and bring Asylum back to its former glory, else it will just fall apart from here. I am not trying to criticize the staff team or development team of Asylum, and I am not trying to point fingers, either; I am simply bringing up my concerns for the community because I care about it. I appreciate the efforts of everyone, but we need to start doing something as a community before it is too late.

Edited by Joe (StealthProxy)

Here's my thing, let's say it is exclusively BE's fault. 

It effects 5 or 6 other communities as far as we know. It doesn't seem logical that it would effect all 4 servers. What are the odds that it would effect ALL FOUR  of Asylums servers? It seems the communities with these problems only have 1 server. Another thing is that, mass kicks happened on S5 when it was tanoa life, when it got switched to strife, I never saw a single mass kick. I saw the servers crash a few times but not once mass kick and remember this was months prior to the patch that was supposed to fix the kicks.

Edited by Steve

im writing this in defense of the devs and i have had a little to drink so forgive my spelling or whatever.

several days ago me and a couple of other admins decided to try to *stress* the servers to see if we could find things that cause the server to lag or mass kick. we tried spamming the lottery with 3 people, while running a rally race and laser tag AND an active firefight at the bank was going on as well. we tried fkin everything we could think of to try and fuck the server. the only thing that we found was that when you spammed the lottery it would lag the database and you couldnt open the house menus or open vehicle garages. everything we tried never ended with lagging server performance or caused the server to mass kick OR ANYTHING other than the lottery thing. from what i was told by the devs the rally races and all the bullshit stuff on the server barely have an impact on server performance and getting rid of them would do nothing. hell they tried removing asylum exchange and the aggressive system for awhile and nothing changed about the mass kicks so i doubt fuckin rally races and laser tag are the cause of the problem. it just seems like mass kicks are random and theres not much they can think of that are the cause of them. i mean even bohemia said this was a problem and we are not the only community plagued by them.

tldr idk what the fuck im talking about

Just now, Azeh said:

Alright, take this with a grain of salt. 

I think we can all agree that Paratus was/is the most competent coder, but he's not here anymore. That leaves Asylum with Bamf and Gnashes. Neither of them are great at coding, but they can make things work. Many things have been done in an attempt to fix BE kicks, even when Paratus was around. Despite the effort which some may consider a meme, you eventually get to a point where you have no idea what to try anymore. You also have to remember that multiple servers have tried and are trying to fix the issue. I could be wrong but I believe everyone's mass kicks started at some point in 2016, and AFAIK, GTA and RP UK fixed their mass kicks 1-2 months ago but are either not willing to share the solution, or they have no idea what actually fixed it. So this leaves us with atleast 5 communities that I'm aware of - that have tried to fix mass kicks for over a year, yet nobody has been able to prove what the issue is. 

Bohemia eventually got involved and attempted to fix the kicks in 1.78 (port change). The fix seemed promising at first but after a few days the same kicks were the same as before for us and every other server that suffered from them before 1.78. They are hoping to release some additional BE logging on the profiling build before the weekend to get a better idea of what the BE kicks are. Speaking of the profiling build, I don't think Asylum has attempted to use it before, but S4 has been using it (and diag_captureSlowFrame) since Thursday to hopefully find any issues that slow down the server. I'm not very familiar with this tool (and nor is Bamf), but I believe it captures a frame that lets you see the the response time of various things regarding the engine. The problem is that not a lot of people know how to take use of it properly. There's essentially no documentation for the results you get, and because of this we're currently waiting for an Arma developer to answer some questions (which doesn't take long really, should get an answer in a few hours). 

So if anyone knows what the fuck this means, feel free to post:
netwT; 0.17784; 22.75913;""
wSimDSimGUpdate; 23.02378; 18.06780;""
mtPmj; 29.11744; 14.07912;"Lock wait: 14.050 ms"

I'm not sure what the first numbers mean, but I believe the second numbers is the execution time.
The first one is network related, but fuck knows what it is.
The second one is simulation related, but we have no idea what it specifically means.
The third one is the most interesting as it has a "Lock wait: 14.050ms". Yet googling "mtPmj" or searching it up in the Arma Discord gives you no valuable information because only a handful of people know what it means. 

Paratus was/is the most competent coder

i mean that's not really hard to achieve given who we have now 

Azeh and Space like this

I've said this before & will say it again..All you would need to do is host the default Altis Life mission file, make the starting cash super high, everyone can fuck around and buy whatever they want for a bit while they stress test it, if there is no mass kicks, then it was the mission file the entire time. The kicks started around the end of May 2016..And it is still happening..That's coming up on two years...It's not only Asylum, Arma dies more each day

7 hours ago, JAY1HP said:

I've said this before & will say it again..All you would need to do is host the default Altis Life mission file, make the starting cash super high, everyone can fuck around and buy whatever they want for a bit while they stress test it, if there is no mass kicks, then it was the mission file the entire time. The kicks started around the end of May 2016..And it is still happening..That's coming up on two years...It's not only Asylum, Arma dies more each day

I'm not even the slightest bit bored of Arma or Asylum. But I am getting tired of the bullshit we have to deal with on Asylum.

JaxxonMurphy likes this

Looking around, it appears a lot of the BE kicks for client not responding are obviously the server and the end users PC disconnecting. Has anyone thought about checking with the server host? Reason being, the game can run perfect on the server.. but if the connection to the user sucks.. it will kick the user.. 

That all being said, has anyone asked the provider if they are seeing any network issues that might be the cause? Maybe the provider doesn't realize there is server degradation on the device itself or their is network degradation that cause the kicks and then it recovers..slightly... 

After talking with BAMF (by complete happenchance) and getting a few more details about the server from other sources, this appears now to be a scripting issue and/or BE issue. We talked a bit and with the other source, the servers don't really have much of an issue keeping up with the game.. so it's something else internally.. I still don't think BE can cause THAT much lag.. so I know ponder if the scripts have anything to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 5:26 PM, Pwnsome said:

the server problem FROM WHAT I HAVE READ is not entirely the dev's fault. Something something data center, something. They can't control a data center they don't own.

No, but if their host is having issues with the DC and wants to keep a customer, they will go to great lengths to make sure it gets fixed. There are plenty more Data Centers and server hosts around.

45 minutes ago, JaxxonMurphy said:

No, but if their host is having issues with the DC and wants to keep a customer, they will go to great lengths to make sure it gets fixed. There are plenty more Data Centers and server hosts around.

eggsactly. im sure they will have it figured out, or if not, rip asylum, it's almost unplayable in it's current state