Change log 8.0.6

bamf

Just now, bamf said:

The point of the change to the bank money was to allow more people access to that content.  You can get drills at a turf (and likely other spots soon).  I don't know why there is such hostility for something that makes doing a bank easier for the community.  You guys just can't seem to take good news and move on at times...  

Also, now when you're holding the money you don't run slow as crap.  Again, think of the upside here.  

You mistake hostility for confusion.

Im going to try and use an analogy to explain how i feel currently

Asylum is like Cake, I fucking love cake and you make a good cake. Someone suggests you change the color sprinkles on the cake and in response you go "You guys clearly hate cake here have pie" 

So we are confused as to why you took away our cake and gave us pie. When we bring up the fact you took our cake away the response is "Pie is just fine and its good enough" and you would be correct pie is perfectly acceptable but why not just give us cake with the sprinkles we asked for.

Edited by Patato
Just now, Patato said:

You mistake hostility for confusion.

Im going to try and use an analogy to explain how i feel currently

Asylum is like Cake, I fucking love cake and you make a good cake. Someone suggests you change the color sprinkles on the cake and in response you go "You guys clearly hate cake here have pie" 

So we are confused as to why you took away our cake and gave us pie. When we bring up the fact you took our cake away the response is "Pie is just fine and its good enough" and you would be correct pie is perfectly acceptable but why not just give us cake with the sprinkles we asked for.

Best analogy to date tbh not trolling, not even a little bit.

As much as people love dirty money, I'm honestly surprised by the backlash.  FWIW, this was how the bank was always supposed to be coded, but Paratus decided to use dirty money since it was already there.  By changing the payout from dirty money to something else, I have simplified your ability to rob the bank, and decreased the forced choke points (rebel outposts) where you could convert that to actual money.  

For those that were here a long time ago you will likely remember the old bank mechanic where you couldn't deposit the money for 10 minutes after robbing the bank which gave the cops a chance to capture you.  Back then, only statically placed ATMs could be used to deposit money, so it would limit your chance to get the money banked after the 10 minute timer.  Now every ATM you see is usable and you can deposit the money literally almost anywhere.  All you have to do is get away and then use the Banded Bank Money from your inventory and then deposit it.  

Oh, also back then if you as a player didn't have insurance and the bank was robbed it would take money from your bank account to cover the costs of the robbery.  

So while I get that you like cake, and you're very used to the type of cake you have been served for a while, perhaps in this instance you should try out the new cake recipe and see how you like it.  

Paul Blart, Ghouh, Sikorsky and 7 others like this
Just now, Barkin said:

So @bamf, to clarify, does this mean S2 is back up and running for good? I wanna know for sure so I can liquidate my S4 assets and return to my home of S2.

No, it likely will not "always" be up since I still do want to force people to bunch up a touch (which will be more healthy for the community).  I am going to set something up to bring it up on a schedule though, and if the overall Asylum player count stays at a certain level both 2 and 3 will be up in addition to 1 and 4.  

Just now, bamf said:

No, it likely will not "always" be up since I still do want to force people to bunch up a touch (which will be more healthy for the community).  I am going to set something up to bring it up on a schedule though, and if the overall Asylum player count stays at a certain level both 2 and 3 will be up in addition to 1 and 4.  

there is lots of salty peanuts. good job on the update though. ill be sure to install arma just to try out the new bank. Why when I leave the community you start being a good dev again :(

Just now, frantic said:

there is lots of salty peanuts. good job on the update though. ill be sure to install arma just to try out the new bank. Why when I leave the community you start being a good dev again :(

My day job has been nutty lately, but I've got some free time now.  I'm putting that free time into Asylum, so... sorry?  :P

Just now, Grizz said:

I'm testing tons and tons of performance enhancement things under the hood that you guys are not seeing.  If I cap the server to 80, I'll never know if what I'm tweaking is working or not.  

J9HUNNA likes this
Just now, bamf said:

As much as people love dirty money, I'm honestly surprised by the backlash.  FWIW, this was how the bank was always supposed to be coded, but Paratus decided to use dirty money since it was already there.  By changing the payout from dirty money to something else, I have simplified your ability to rob the bank, and decreased the forced choke points (rebel outposts) where you could convert that to actual money.  

For those that were here a long time ago you will likely remember the old bank mechanic where you couldn't deposit the money for 10 minutes after robbing the bank which gave the cops a chance to capture you.  Back then, only statically placed ATMs could be used to deposit money, so it would limit your chance to get the money banked after the 10 minute timer.  Now every ATM you see is usable and you can deposit the money literally almost anywhere.  All you have to do is get away and then use the Banded Bank Money from your inventory and then deposit it.  

Oh, also back then if you as a player didn't have insurance and the bank was robbed it would take money from your bank account to cover the costs of the robbery.  

So while I get that you like cake, and you're very used to the type of cake you have been served for a while, perhaps in this instance you should try out the new cake recipe and see how you like it.  

Fair enough, now lets take a look at what cake we have tried Bamf. 

We have tried the money cap/prestige system and do not like it.

Edit: I'd like to mention I've been at 10 mil prestige with no cap for a few months now and I hate the idea in concept. One workaround to this would be that if a player did grind to 10 mil prestige or whatever number they could pull that prestige back out without losing their increased or unlimited cap. The grind to that prestige level would be much more rewarding and worthwhile. It would still keep Asylum unique in that regard but give people something to look forward to if they grind enough money. Think of it kinda like a CD account. Obviously the mechanic of it is not the same but it would give that long term grindy reward.

We have tried the fridge at cartels and do not like it.

A decent amount of people don't like the current situation with vans being used at the fed, I'll try doing one with the current fix in place to see it helps. - I'll give it a fair honest shot.

Most people do not like the rotating drug fields, at least where they are being so far away from their previous static locations.

We have tried the new prison layout and the new prison mechanic and we most certainly do not fucking like it.

I love this community as many others do. We don't wanna see it die, the only way to fix this shit hole we are in is for you to listen to us, and maybe you do but you should try to listen more.

Edited by Steve
Space, Atra and Professor Pericles like this
33 minutes ago, bamf said:

The point of the change to the bank money was to allow more people access to that content.  You can get drills at a turf (and likely other spots soon).  I don't know why there is such hostility for something that makes doing a bank easier for the community.  You guys just can't seem to take good news and move on at times...  

Also, now when you're holding the money you don't run slow as crap.  Again, think of the upside here.  

What changes the community wants 

1. Stable servers so we can actually play

2. Mass unbanning of players (Not everyones a fan of this but it needs to be done to revive gang life)

3.Fixing of the asylum economy (Making it so meth isnt the only way to make money and also making everything cheaper aka load outs and  vehicles)

4.Adding of content ( new skins rebel tree new vehicels etc)

5. Civ reps ( id suggest starting with 4) 

6. instead of making there be donator perks make there be donator goals ( you will make more money this way and you will promise the community things)

7. Maybe increase the dev team so you dont have to take on all  the responsibility (im sure there are people in this community willing to help dont be close minded about this) 

Just now, SafeMode said:

What changes the community wants 

1. Stable servers so we can actually play

2. Mass unbanning of players (Not everyones a fan of this but it needs to be done to revive gang life)

3.Fixing of the asylum economy (Making it so meth isnt the only way to make money and also making everything cheaper aka load outs and  vehicles)

4.Adding of content ( new skins rebel tree new vehicels etc)

5. Civ reps ( id suggest starting with 4) 

6. instead of making there be donator perks make there be donator goals ( you will make more money this way and you will promise the community things)

7. Maybe increase the dev team so you dont have to take on all  the responsibility (im sure there are people in this community willing to help dont be close minded about this) 

Let's go point by point:  
1.  I'm working on this in every patch - as well as outside of patches.  The BE kicks happen on multiple servers.  It's either something we all do in common, or it's BIS.  It's not obvious to any of the communities who have the issue (nor to BIS) what causes these issues.  

2.  Targeted ban removals have happened.  I've also significantly altered the time periods for bans on the servers.  I've said in multiple places that I want bans to be a way to teach players rather than being punitive in nature.  This is work in progress.  But "mass unbanning" of some types of bans is not what we're going to do.  

3. There are tons and tons of ways to make money.  Prices on things have been brought down.  This is a lever I'm tweaking, albeit slowly.  

4.  We are working on new content.  New things take longer though.  

5.  Civ reps is something we can consider.  I'm open to talking to the community.  You guys have a back end line to me right now (which I'm sure you all know anyway).  Use that for now while I'm getting other things done, and then we can talk about a dedicated rep system of some sort.  

6.  Donor goals is something that is going to happen.  Paratus and I have already discussed adding this to our current monetization methods.  Look for a post soon regarding this.  

7.  Increasing the dev team is tricky.  When we asked for SQF contributors I got a lot of people who said they would be willing to learn SQF and help out.  What I really need is a group of contributors who already know SQF, know how to create code in SQF from scratch, and have time they would like to give back to the community to enhance things within the vision that the dev team has for the direction of the game.  

This

Just now, bamf said:

and have time they would like to give back to the community to enhance things within the vision that the dev team has for the direction of the game.  

needs to change to this

Just now, bamf said:

and have time they would like to give back to the community to enhance things within the vision that the community has for the direction of the game.  

massi likes this

Just now, bamf said:

Leave the bank and how its done where it is for now but if it starts shitting the bed the more its been done id move it back to the old location until something is figured out. As it stands now once a firefight starts and the bank ends server just craps. 

EDIT: Also people tend to do the bank when it has more money in it towards restarts which is also when the servers tend to be at their worst so maybe have like a consistant amount of money and bars in it at all times but increase cool down or something?

I know ive mentioned the fed already but please think about doing something about the vans or even compromise and add back the deer stands at some spots in the fed something to give rebels a slight upper hand because right now its not worth it even with the increase in bars. ( With the increase in bars did you think about if a hemmit could hold the max amount that the fed spawns?)

The content coming out is good and the servers are picking up in pop ever so slightly but i think before you add content like this in the future you should maybe make a post saying what it is and hash out the pros/cons of how it might go over with the community.

Edited by Sean That Irish Guy
Steve and Norwegianviking like this
Just now, bamf said:

2.  Targeted ban removals have happened.  I've also significantly altered the time periods for bans on the servers.  I've said in multiple places that I want bans to be a way to teach players rather than being punitive in nature.  This is work in progress.  But "mass unbanning" of some types of bans is not what we're going to do.  

3. There are tons and tons of ways to make money.  Prices on things have been brought down.  This is a lever I'm tweaking, albeit slowly.  

5.  Civ reps is something we can consider.  I'm open to talking to the community.  You guys have a back end line to me right now (which I'm sure you all know anyway).  Use that for now while I'm getting other things done, and then we can talk about a dedicated rep system of some sort.  

6.  Donor goals is something that is going to happen.  Paratus and I have already discussed adding this to our current monetization methods.  Look for a post soon regarding this.  

-_-

Original. I like it. +1

SafeMode and Good Lub like this
Just now, Sean That Irish Guy said:

EDIT: Also people tend to do the bank when it has more money in it towards restarts which is also when the servers tend to be at their worst so maybe have like a consistant amount of money and bars in it at all times but increase cool down or something?

+1

Is there a way to incorporate a "Black Market"? Where these notes are converted..The old bank some of the best times I had was fighting cops on the way to rebel & then the rebel raid and the strider/hunter horn blaring loud as fuck and heli dropping 10 cadets outisde H barrier man fun times

6 minutes ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

I once robbed a bank after a restart and we got 15k dirty money. The profit from a bank/fed should be somewhat consistent and I suggest making the bank/fed/prison have a 20 minute cool down after a server restart to allow cops to log on. The idea of having more money in the fed/bank towards the end of the restart means gangs wont do them until close to restart. Its very frustrating having to fight the cops and the timer before a restart just to get a semi profitable fed. 

Same could be said for cartels. There is literally no point in capturing cartels before 1 hour til restart unless you plan on doing multiple drug runs/selling scotch. The fridge system  promotes camping rebel for money instead of fighting the cartel. People complain about gang life being dead, cartel money straight to gang bank promotes fighting and defending cartels. If gangs started fighting cartels again you would see increased banks/prisons/feds. I suggest lowering the money magically put in the cartel by about 70%, keeping the money lost to processor going to the cartel, and raising gang bank cap to 10 mil (Since people will not be able to rat the money more will be put in gang bank). Iv'e seen arguments from the dev side saying they would remove the money magically put in entirely. If that was the case than you would get little or no profit for holding cartels during off hours which would again lead to gangs not fighting cartels during off hours.

Or the devs could ignore this post and career cops can tell me how these are bad ideas.

1 hour ago, bamf said:

7.  Increasing the dev team is tricky.  When we asked for SQF contributors I got a lot of people who said they would be willing to learn SQF and help out.  What I really need is a group of contributors who already know SQF, know how to create code in SQF from scratch, and have time they would like to give back to the community to enhance things within the vision that the dev team has for the direction of the game.  

Good luck finding someone who knows SQF and isn't busy making their own thing..

I remember when @Jesse was a little pleb, who needed help to create cartels. A few years later, and he's now the leading developer for Olympus. I wonder how much knowledge of SQF he had when he started to contribute. Probably not a lot, but he learned by just sticking with it. I mentioned this before, but my ultimate dream for asylum would be an open-source repository where anyone could contribute, and the developers would review the pull requests.

SafeMode, Steve, JAY1HP and 2 others like this
2 hours ago, bamf said:

My day job has been nutty lately, but I've got some free time now.  I'm putting that free time into Asylum, so... sorry?  :P

I think keeping the community updated will help keep people here. We love patches and to be honest its keep me interested, but i dont know about others and just hop on for 2 and say in an announcement that you're busy and expect a delay on patches for the future ETC, Rather kept updated than no information at all. 

Just now, Bikstok said:

Good luck finding someone who knows SQF and isn't busy making their own thing..

I remember when @Jesse was a little pleb, who needed help to create cartels. A few years later, and he's now the leading developer for Olympus. I wonder how much knowledge of SQF he had when he started to contribute. Probably not a lot, but he learned by just sticking with it. I mentioned this before, but my ultimate dream for asylum would be an open-source repository where anyone could contribute, and the developers would review the pull requests.

I love the idea of making it open source. I don't think the devs would do it though in fear someone will steal everything they have. But I mean shit I'm sure a lot of stuff would get added in quickly if the devs had to do less work.

SafeMode likes this
Just now, Steve said:

I love the idea of making it open source. I don't think the devs would do it though in fear someone will steal everything they have. But I mean shit I'm sure a lot of stuff would get added in quickly if the devs had to do less work.

It's fucking Altis Life, not some government project. 

95% of what Asylum has done is already out there on the web, and 80% of that is done BETTER by other servers. 

goyney likes this
Just now, Bikstok said:

Ayyyyeee you remember me still <3. Haha. I had zero knowledge of SQF and little knowledge of anything code related honestly. The only official experience I had at the time was some Java classes and some work with Adobe Experience Manager 3 months into my internship. Everything I've done Arma related has been trial & error. From doing my own server attempts and working on the Altis Life Framework Repo before & after Tonic sold out. Anyone can learn the stuff. Just most people lack the motivation to try and stick with it.

The question that pops into my mind is occasionally... "What if Paratus/Motown had actually taken the time to reply to my messages on here about being interested in helping out with Asylum...?" Guess we'll never know...

Edited by Jesse
Just now, Tom said:

The Prison is still broken. The doors close before you can escape. It closes instantly not 60 seconds like it is supposed to.

Why are you still blaming BE for your shitty servers? Maybe if you didn't downgrade a year ago the servers would be stable. 

DUDE it's Bohemia's fault the doors won't close. What are you on about?

3 hours ago, bamf said:

Increasing the dev team is tricky.  When we asked for SQF contributors I got a lot of people who said they would be willing to learn SQF and help out.  What I really need is a group of contributors who already know SQF, know how to create code in SQF from scratch, and have time they would like to give back to the community to enhance things within the vision that the dev team has for the direction of the game.  

Remember @Serpico the same guy who wanted to contribute, but you guys said no... and now he's with Olympus.

Just now, Google™ said:

Remember @Serpico the same guy who wanted to contribute, but you guys said no... and now he's with Olympus.

He hasn't been with Olympus for quite some time now. I don't know the details on why he was told no here, but he left Olympus at some point or another to work on GTA V RP or something and then we never heard from him again after a while.

Edited by HereToStealYourIdeas
Clint Beastwood and Ian Walls like this
2 hours ago, Jesse said:

-_-

Original. I like it. +1

You wonder where I get my ideas from lol 

Just now, Jesse said:

Ayyyyeee you remember me still <3. Haha. I had zero knowledge of SQF and little knowledge of anything code related honestly. The only official experience I had at the time was some Java classes and some work with Adobe Experience Manager 3 months into my internship. Everything I've done Arma related has been trial & error. From doing my own server attempts and working on the Altis Life Framework Repo before & after Tonic sold out. Anyone can learn the stuff. Just most people lack the motivation to try and stick with it.

The question that pops into my mind is occasionally... "What if Paratus/Motown had actually taken the time to reply to my messages on here about being interested in helping out with Asylum...?" Guess we'll never know...

Also your journey from  Asylum to Olympus is intersting to me maybe you can fill me in on it someday.

I here the darkside has milk and cookies 

darth vader star wars gif GIF

Just now, Jesse said:

Of course hes way better, he actually logs in every day not just like some other cucks here who shitted their community

7 hours ago, bamf said:

Can look at again vehicle insurance like I suggested that way people will go for prestige and not bitch saying it's useless?

Just now, Tom said:

The Prison is still broken. The doors close before you can escape. It closes instantly not 60 seconds like it is supposed to.

Thank you.  You are the first person that has been able to articulate an actual issue I can look into for the prison other than "the prison doesn't work".  I'll check that out this AM. 

Ian Walls and FudgeR like this