How can I fix a slow internet connection

I currently have a completely fresh computer, recently installed the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO so there is no virus's or other malicious software at play here.

My connection to the internet is decent, when I am using discord, I am getting roughly 25ms for my ping. However; this can jump to 150 or even up to 1000ms and I can't quite figure out why. This being said, my download speed is also atrocious. Here's my speed test results:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6899272903.png

I am the ONLY one in the house who seems to receive these problems, and it can't be my position to the router as my connection on PS4's, phones, laptops etc are all fine. My computer requires a dongle to connect to the internet and a wired connection doesn't seem possible at this moment in time.

My internet provider is pretty good, it's Virgin Media. So my internet speeds don't exactly reflect on what my parents are paying for.

I have two internet ports, Wifi 1 doesn't receive a good connection but Wifi 2 receives a decent internet connection (This is after inserting a dongle in both)

So here is the properties of Wifi 1 compared to Wifi 2:

Wifi1: Manufacturer: Ralink Technology, Corp. Description: 802.11n Wireless LAN Card Driver version: 5.0.57.0 Physical address (MAC): 00-0C-43-50-08-2D

Wifi2: SSID: VM1796089 Protocol: 802.11n Security type: WPA2-Personal Network band: 5 GHz Network channel: 44 IPv4 address: 192.168.0.18 IPv4 DNS servers: 194.168.4.100 194.168.8.100 Manufacturer: Ralink Technology, Corp. Description: 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card Driver version: 5.1.22.0 Physical address (MAC): 0C-89-10-DF-33-F6

I am currently getting a 100kb/s download speed on steam so all help is very much appreciated and I can provide more information if anyone needs it to help solve my issues.

Edited by eazy

get ur mum to ring and complain, 0.85mb down is awful just use this site and see what are the speeds other companies can give you, It all comes down to the area you live in and no provider is better than the other (in most cases) its literally all about the area and what company has the best cables and stuff.

that being said you live in glasgow, half ye copper has been nicked.

Just now, william said:

get ur mum to ring and complain, 0.85mb down is awful just use this site and see what are the speeds other companies can give you, It all comes down to the area you live in and no provider is better than the other (in most cases) its literally all about the area and what company has the best cables and stuff.

that being said you live in glasgow, half ye copper has been nicked.

Just now, william said:

@eazy if u wait until 2020 it will be your right to have a minimum of 10mbs download speed ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42423047

its something to do with my computer, my provider is really good mate. Virgin Media have came before and have confirmed it isn't on there end.

Make sure you have the most up to date drivers on your computer for the network card. If that doesn't work and it's built in to the mobo, try an external networking card if you have the space.

Looks like you are wireless, if there is an option that you can move the computer closer to the router to plug in and test, i would do that. You might have interference around your computer that causes the wifi to have issues, if you're connecting via 2.4ghz on wifi, make sure you don't have any cordless phones near or between you and the routher, if you have the option to go 5, if you have a cordless, make sure it doesn't use this frequency as that will cause issues as well.

Just now, JaxxonMurphy said:

Make sure you have the most up to date drivers on your computer for the network card. If that doesn't work and it's built in to the mobo, try an external networking card if you have the space.

Looks like you are wireless, if there is an option that you can move the computer closer to the router to plug in and test, i would do that. You might have interference around your computer that causes the wifi to have issues, if you're connecting via 2.4ghz on wifi, make sure you don't have any cordless phones near or between you and the routher, if you have the option to go 5, if you have a cordless, make sure it doesn't use this frequency as that will cause issues as well.

im on a 5ghz connection, theres a bunch of stuff in the settings to do with 2.5ghz and 5ghz connections and stuff but i dont really know what do to do with it all.

Just now, Corgi said:

Turn it off and on again.

how did i not think of this.

Just now, Azeh said:

Same concept but a wireless network adapter. Yours is most likely fucked or just shit (the dongle).
"My computer requires a dongle to connect to the internet and a wired connection doesn't seem possible at this moment in time."
Don't get a USB one though, get something that uses PCI-E. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/wireless-network-card/

stupid question here, but whats a PCI E?

Anyway Eazy, if you're connected through wifi, I'll almost bet you money that's you're issue. My friend has roughly 5 down and when he was connected through wifi his internet would randomly cut out, etc.. When he bought a 50 foot ethernet cable and ran it through his house his internet immediately became more stable and has almost completely fixed his issues.

• Try a new router, one with a stronger wifi connection.
  • If you have an external wifi card, try replacing it?
  • If you have an internet wifi card, try replacing it?
  • Buy a super long ethernet cable off of Amazon for $15 and go wired connection. (My first suggestion since it's probably going to be the cheapest.)