Capping Cartels Causes Lag

Just now, Fudger said:

everytime theres a lot of ppl on and we contest a cartel and were fighting shit happens it has to be the cartel script

and azeh also said he showed a good dev the script and he said it was written like  shit

I have speculated as to whether or not the way dirty money generates causes the lag. If my memory servers me right, dirty money at cartels as opposed to the drugs them selves being in the fridge was around the time this started to happen. 

I don't know tbh, regardless hearing "it's bohemias problem" no matter what we say is getting real fuckin old.

Just now, Steve said:

I have speculated as to whether or not the way dirty money generates causes the lag. If my memory servers me right, dirty money at cartels as opposed to the drugs them selves being in the fridge was around the time this started to happen. 

I don't know tbh, regardless hearing "it's bohemias problem" no matter what we say is getting real fuckin old.

You have a very good point

Just now, Steve said:

is it was a bohemia issue every server would face these issues but no other server does asylum has already lost its playerbase u can see that by the fact they shut down 2 servers till the others lag tf out 

Just now, Redtails2000 said:

is it was a bohemia issue every server would face these issues but no other server does asylum has already lost its playerbase u can see that by the fact they shut down 2 servers till the others lag tf out 

It effects other communities but only a handful. I believe if it was completely a bohemia problem we would hear about it in a lot more communities.

The cartel script is in the server side code, meaning that only developers have access to it. Last time I saw it was over a year ago, so it definitely could have been rewritten. Basically it checks every minute for players within every cartel zone, then decides if the cap should move. Obviously pretty inefficient, but I doubt it would cause this crazy server lag unless there's a memleak in there. Asylum desperately needs to move away from all these loops and threads, and change to a more event-driven architecture.

I'm more inclined to believe that there's some other script running amok. I mean, how does one accidently break 50cal damage??

Xavorey, Buck, Space and 2 others like this
Just now, Bikstok said:

The cartel script is in the server side code, meaning that only developers have access to it. Last time I saw it was over a year ago, so it definitely could have been rewritten. Basically it checks every minute for players within every cartel zone, then decides if the cap should move. Obviously pretty inefficient, but I doubt it would cause this crazy server lag unless there's a memleak in there.

I run several constant loops on Olympus with varying sleeps (1 second - 5 second ones) to monitor different things. I as well doubt that this would be an issue if it has a sleep of 1 minute. Good chance it's something else :p.

Edited by Jesse
Good Lub likes this
Just now, Jesse said:

I run several constant loops on Olympus with varying sleeps (1 second - 5 second ones) to monitor different things. I as well doubt that this would be an issue if it has a sleep of 1 minute. Good chance it's something else :p.

Well, there's not many other choices sometimes. It definitely impacts the performance though. Especially if you have hundreds of events running on new threads all the time. Surely you would agree that constant loops are a necessary evil, but should be minimized wherever possible?

Just now, Bikstok said:

Well, there's not many other choices sometimes. It definitely impacts the performance though. Especially if you have hundreds of events running on new threads all the time. Surely you would agree that constant loops are a necessary evil, but should be minimized wherever possible?

Oh well yeah ofc. 

Good Lub likes this
Just now, Azeh said:

Bamf - 12/12/2017
A2N runs things at startup
Maybe crates, but I don’t believe anything happening during actual game play is A2N
It’s used where its serial nature isn’t an issue

callExtension - This command is blocking, meaning that the game will wait for the extension to return before continuing. This may cause FPS drop if extension is not optimised. If extension takes too long, consider making asynchronous extension, where the result of the work of the extension is collected in a separate call. 

Just now, Azeh said:

What's Olympus' server fps like? If there's a fair amount of players on, it will be <20 15 minutes after restart here. Been told like 10 times that <20 server fps may result in unforseen consequences but :shrug: Mass kicks happen when server fps reaches 0 or 1.

image.png

Our server FPS is typically 35-40. Right now with 40 players it 46fps. Worse possible days like when everyone has to download a new mission, etc is like 25fps.

Edited by Jesse
Good Lub and Azeh like this

Just now, Azeh said:

What's Olympus' server fps like? If there's a fair amount of players on, it will be <20 15 minutes after restart here. Been told like 10 times that <20 server fps may result in unforseen consequences but :shrug: Mass kicks happen when server fps reaches 0 or 1.

image.png

Just now, Jesse said:

Our server FPS is typically 35-40. Right now with 40 players it 46fps.

0264e5ea12c63551c02fc54b984a6111.png

If memory serves at full load it is around 30 or so but the last time I looked at it during max pop was months ago and we've added a lot since then so it very well could shit the bed at max pop. 

Azeh likes this
Just now, Azeh said:

image.png

Olympus servers actually run very smooth. I've been on for the past week and havent been battleeye kicked once and run a solid 60 FPS (minus the odd frame droppage in cities) this is with the servers full.

Edited by Mr. Fenwick
forgot something
Space, JIMBO, TheRealLethal and 2 others like this

So I attempted to go through some patch notes and find things that sound like they would cause server memory to fill up long before it should. It would make sense this would happen when gangs fight each other and not so much when gangs fight cops because there isn't any Y/virtual inventory dropped from cops upon death. I'm not saying that Y inventory staying around for in excess of 5 minutes is the only cause of the mass kicks or server crashes but it seems unnecessary to me. @Gnashes what is the point of this? I've seen Y stay around for 10 or 12 minutes in some instances, and it would totally make sense that the server crashes or lags if large amounts are dropped from players fighting on the ground in a short period of time and not despawned within a reasonable time frame.

I suggest that Y inventory doesn't despawn after at least 3 minutes but never stays for more then 5, or at least something like this. Maybe it's a bug, I really don't know. 

While we are on this topic I'd like to point out that there have been instances(more then 1) where I died and got revived but the guy next to me can see my Y on the ground and I can't.

58 minutes ago, Steve said:

So I attempted to go through some patch notes and find things that sound like they would cause server memory to fill up long before it should. It would make sense this would happen when gangs fight each other and not so much when gangs fight cops because there isn't any Y/virtual inventory dropped from cops upon death. I'm not saying that Y inventory staying around for in excess of 5 minutes is the only cause of the mass kicks or server crashes but it seems unnecessary to me. @Gnashes what is the point of this? I've seen Y stay around for 10 or 12 minutes in some instances, and it would totally make sense that the server crashes or lags if large amounts are dropped from players fighting on the ground in a short period of time and not despawned within a reasonable time frame.

I suggest that Y inventory doesn't despawn after at least 3 minutes but never stays for more then 5, or at least something like this. Maybe it's a bug, I really don't know. 

While we are on this topic I'd like to point out that there have been instances(more then 1) where I died and got revived but the guy next to me can see my Y on the ground and I can't.

+1

1 hour ago, Steve said:

+1 as well. @Rodrigo was on the server when Steve did his stress test as well. I think it warrants a look into!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Donald Clinton said:

maybe none of this shit is causing it maybe its because the servers are literally potatoes

Nah,if that was the case,it would shit the bed with half the people on a server...This is at least productive in some way,or could shed some light as to bamf or someone looking into it...Aside from the ddos attacks an such. I think it could be worth looking into as it clearly got them fucked over cause of lag,and that was the point of the video.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:31 PM, DankBud said:

i take it as a success as what could be a reason for it??

I think y has some connection and the same for cartels. Everytime my gang caps 2 cartels even without any kinda gun fight it starts to lag. The way it is written is inefficient from what I've heard and it finally came to bite asylum in the ass after they added in so much other stuff in.

Just now, Steve said:

I think y has some connection and the same for cartels. Everytime my gang caps 2 cartels even without any kinda gun fight it starts to lag. The way it is written is inefficient from what I've heard and it finally came to bite asylum in the ass after they added in so much other stuff in.

Im sure its prob a few things fighting each other an causing it to spaze out in some way...as far as the code goes i have no clue out of my realm of things for the most part,But least it does prove something isnt right..none the less tho could be a step into the right direction as for trouble shooting it..