i need a computer teacher

Huan Lee

Computer Specs? You can run windows on a system that was built 10 years ago. Doesn't mean you are going to be able to run games at a higher quality. If you dont know how to find your system spec, do a search in google "How do I find my computer specs". That will guide you in the direction that will help you out.

2 minutes ago, Maxwell Santos said:

Which of these processors should i get?

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor, 

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor, or

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3 BX80648I75820K Desktop Processor

4's series will work only on LGA 1150 socket, 5820k will work only on 2011-v3 socket. So, if you want to go with 5820k, you have to buy a motherboard that supports LGA 2011-V3 socket.

13 minutes ago, Sean // Fitty Bread said:

Yes hello sir please first run a comprehensive scan with Windows defender

Then please update all drivers

Next try to delete system32 folders starting with the highest size folder

Finally consult a technician named Hardeep Namanjeet in IT at Cisco

OMG SO FUCKING FUNNNNY......

9 minutes ago, Spec said:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor,  is good. make sure you get a motherboard with a 1150 socket though.

for the mother board which one of these? 

GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX Intel Motherboard,

MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX Intel Motherboard,

or ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX Intel Motherboard?

If you looking for a real helpful hand send me a pm.     Depending on what windows your running figure out how to get to "Run"       when you get there run   the command "Dxdiag"     without the quotes.   That way I know what your working with.

From there Pm me your OS,   Ram, HardDrive Space (& if it's SSD) , Processor Specs and go to the display tab and let me know what video card your running.   At that point I can probably give you advice from their. 

Edited by Spek_

For gaming, going from i5 to i7 won't really make much of a difference, so if you are trying to save some money get the 4690k instead of the 4790k. However you also have to take the lower clock speed into consideration.

If you don't plan to overclock (which it doesn't look like you will due to your limited computer knowledge), I would recommend just getting an i5 4590

Edited by CyanogenCX
7 minutes ago, CyanogenCX said:

For gaming, going from i5 to i7 won't really make much of a difference, so if you are trying to save some money get the 4690k instead of the 4790k.

Most games don't use Hyper-Threading so your assumption is true, most are console ports and do not use HT.  So with any other game this makes sense.

However.

This game supports Hyper-Threading which is only found in the i7. The advantage is there- in ArmA3 and in other PC only titles.  

13 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

Most games don't use Hyper-Threading so your assumption is true, most are console ports and do not use HT.  So with any other game this makes sense.

However.

This game supports Hyper-Threading which is only found in the i7. The advantage is there- in ArmA3 and in other PC only titles.  

From what I searched up online, there isn't really a benefit from hyper threading in arma 3, but I haven't really found any benchmarks so maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by CyanogenCX
34 minutes ago, Maxwell Santos said:

I would recommend an SSD along with the HDD because otherwise you might get frame drops in Arma 3, or stuttering. I have arma 3 on an HDD, had it on an SSD earlier, and although I do get occasional frame drops its nothing serious. So you can keep the HDD, won't be TOO much of a difference, but definitely noticeable.

If you don't need the external HDD, just get an SSD (even 128 gb works if you just plan on using it for a few games) and put it in your computer.

For the GPU:

Also, seeing as your graphics card doesn't even need a PCI-E connector because it gets its power straight from the motherboard, I think the 650 Watt power supply would be overkill, unless you plan on upgrading your graphics card later on.

Also, I know I recommended you the Asus 750 earlier because the EVGA one was a lot more expensive, on Amazon right now, the EVGA GTX 750 Ti is $110, and the Asus one is $120. The base clock speed of the Asus is 1072MHz, and the base on the EVGA one is 1176 MHz. With boost, the Asus can get 1150MHz, and the EVGA can get 1255 MHz. So clearly, EVGA Ti SC beats out Asus Ti OC, and is $10 cheaper, so I would recommend getting that while you can. HOWEVER, on the Asus there is also a $20 rebate, so you could get it for $100 at the end, compared to the $110 for the EVGA.

Ultimately, you should choose which one you want. Here are the links:

http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-750Ti-GDDR5-Graphics-GTX750TI-OC-2GD5/dp/B00IB9P1KG

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDG3IDO/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B00IB9P1KG

If you want a significantly better graphics card, think of getting the GTX 970, which is around $350 on amazon, or the GTX 980 which is around $500 on amazon.

If you're going for a budget build and don't plan on playing the game at max settings, then the 750 ti should be perfect. Note: the 750 draws 60W of power, and the 970 does 145 watts, so if you want to get the 970 then your current power supply is fine, if you are going to get the 750 then you don't need a huge power supply.

Now, for the CPU, a couple of questions:

-Are you planning on overclocking?
-If so, you will probably need an aftermarket cooler. Aftermarket coolers can be pretty big, so chances are they probably won't fit into a mid tower case. So if you are going to overclock, get a tower case.

-If you are not planning to overclock, just get the i7 4790. This is ~$30 cheaper than the 4790k. 

-If you are planning to overclock, I would suggest the Cryorig H7, or the Hyper 212 Evo. The Cryorig cools better than the evo, it is quieter, and it is smaller than the Evo. So overall it is significantly better than the 212 Evo, and is only $5 more expensive.

-If you are going to overclock, but want to stick with a mid-tower case, I would get the Cryorig M9i. You should easily have enough space in a mid tower case for the M9i, and it is $10 cheaper than the H7. If, after you measure out the dimensions, and find that the M9i won't fit, then just get the Cryorig C7. This will fit literally any decent case, as it is only 47mm tall, compared to 128mm for the M9i.

That is pretty much it. If you have any questions for me, let me know.

Edited by CyanogenCX
46 minutes ago, CyanogenCX said:

I would recommend an SSD along with the HDD because otherwise you might get frame drops in Arma 3, or stuttering. I have arma 3 on an HDD, had it on an SSD earlier, and although I do get occasional frame drops its nothing serious. So you can keep the HDD, won't be TOO much of a difference, but definitely noticeable.

If you don't need the external HDD, just get an SSD (even 128 gb works if you just plan on using it for a few games) and put it in your computer.

For the GPU:

Also, seeing as your graphics card doesn't even need a PCI-E connector because it gets its power straight from the motherboard, I think the 650 Watt power supply would be overkill, unless you plan on upgrading your graphics card later on.

Also, I know I recommended you the Asus 750 earlier because the EVGA one was a lot more expensive, on Amazon right now, the EVGA GTX 750 Ti is $110, and the Asus one is $120. The base clock speed of the Asus is 1072MHz, and the base on the EVGA one is 1176 MHz. With boost, the Asus can get 1150MHz, and the EVGA can get 1255 MHz. So clearly, EVGA Ti SC beats out Asus Ti OC, and is $10 cheaper, so I would recommend getting that while you can. HOWEVER, on the Asus there is also a $20 rebate, so you could get it for $100 at the end, compared to the $110 for the EVGA.

Ultimately, you should choose which one you want. Here are the links:

http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-750Ti-GDDR5-Graphics-GTX750TI-OC-2GD5/dp/B00IB9P1KG

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDG3IDO/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B00IB9P1KG

If you want a significantly better graphics card, think of getting the GTX 970, which is around $350 on amazon, or the GTX 980 which is around $500 on amazon.

If you're going for a budget build and don't plan on playing the game at max settings, then the 750 ti should be perfect. Note: the 750 draws 60W of power, and the 970 does 145 watts, so if you want to get the 970 then your current power supply is fine, if you are going to get the 750 then you don't need a huge power supply.

Now, for the CPU, a couple of questions:

-Are you planning on overclocking?
-If so, you will probably need an aftermarket cooler. Aftermarket coolers can be pretty big, so chances are they probably won't fit into a mid tower case. So if you are going to overclock, get a tower case.

-If you are not planning to overclock, just get the i7 4790. This is ~$30 cheaper than the 4790k. 

-If you are planning to overclock, I would suggest the Cryorig H7, or the Hyper 212 Evo. The Cryorig cools better than the evo, it is quieter, and it is smaller than the Evo. So overall it is significantly better than the 212 Evo, and is only $5 more expensive.

-If you are going to overclock, but want to stick with a mid-tower case, I would get the Cryorig M9i. You should easily have enough space in a mid tower case for the M9i, and it is $10 cheaper than the H7. If, after you measure out the dimensions, and find that the M9i won't fit, then just get the Cryorig C7. This will fit literally any decent case, as it is only 47mm tall, compared to 128mm for the M9i.

That is pretty much it. If you have any questions for me, let me know.

so, would the build i have now fry anything?

3 minutes ago, Maxwell Santos said:

so, would the build i have now fry anything?

If you overclock your cpu high enough it will thermal throttle, seeing as you have a stock cooler. Obviously this isn't good for its life.

Otherwise the build you have right now is fine. Look into what I said about graphics cards and cpu overclocking. Overclocking makes a huge difference in arma and so you should look for an after market cooler.

Nowadays computer parts can automatically track how they are doing so you shouldn't have to worry about frying.

In the case of Arma, GPU is really not the main factor. Sure, hitting your GPU limit by cranking up the render distance of everything is going to kill your framerate, the CPU is heavily used in Arma 3. Also, multiplayer simply isn't well optimised, and servers generally hit you by limiting your framerate anyway.

I play with a 980ti and run the game in 4K, reducing down to 1440 or even 1080p gives minimal effect on my FPS when playing multiplayer due to the fact that the cause of FPS drop is far more relevant to the CPU and all the processes Arma 3 is handling. 

You want PER CORE performance on your CPU in this game. Hands down.  Getting an 8-core hyperthreaded processor is not going to help you much, only leave you with CPU power going unused.  A top tier i5 is a great bet. even i7 is good, but they aim for handling more multitasking and doing more at once rather than having full strength on a single job.