Sugarfoot

Headset + stand alone mic

44 posts in this topic

If you were to get a Headset soley for the purpose of sound and a stand alone mic - What combination would you get for a max spending limit of 300$ total.

 

Mayhem likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Microphone:

Blue Yeti - 100 USD - https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Yeti-USB-Microphone-Blackout/dp/B00N1YPXW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515444277&sr=8-1&keywords=yeti+blue

Headset:

Sennheiser 6XX - 200 USD - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

AKG 7XX - 200 USD - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

(You need to make a Massdrop account in order to purchase these headsets, it's free to so)

Innateocean and Pwnsome like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

If you were to get a Headset soley for the purpose of sound and a stand alone mic - What combination would you get for a max spending limit of 300$ total.

 

I’ve been thinking of doing the same setup, hopefully there’s some good suggestions. Can people please tag me if you have a good combo 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Mayhem said:

I’ve been thinking of doing the same setup, hopefully there’s some good suggestions. Can people please tag me if you have a good combo 

I will keep you informed, I bought these 300$ Astro' things and there just too complicated for me. All these damn buttons end up changing my sound when I pick them up and they only hold about 7 hours of a charge from there so called "12 hours".

 

Just now, Kettles said:

Microphone:

Blue Yeti - 100 USD - https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Yeti-USB-Microphone-Blackout/dp/B00N1YPXW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515444277&sr=8-1&keywords=yeti+blue

Headset:

Sennheiser 6XX - 200 USD - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

AKG 7XX - 200 USD - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

(You need to make a Massdrop account in order to purchase these headsets, it's free to so)

Wha's your thoughts on these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=twister_B077YBTRTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and your thoughts on closed vs open back ear phones?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

I will keep you informed, I bought these 300$ Astro' things and there just too complicated for me. All these damn buttons end up changing my sound when I pick them up and they only hold about 7 hours of a charge from there so called "12 hours".

 

Wha's your thoughts on these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=twister_B077YBTRTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and your thoughts on closed vs open back ear phones?

open is much better, sounds less artificial but if you're watching porn at full volume people will hear it

Manolo and Kettles like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, massi said:

open is much better, sounds less artificial but if you're watching porn at full volume people will hear it

Well I live with 8 people so watching porn really wouldn't happen. With that being said Id prefer not to keep them up at night while I play games.

 

How much better does it sound? If it sounds that much better I may consider it

Share this post


Link to post

Highly recommend the blue yeti mic, I wouldn’t call it “cheap” by any means but it isn’t too expensive especially for the quality... as for a headset, I have the astros.... I’m less than thrilled about them but will use them until they break, I had a pair of corsair voids, I liked them quite a bit, might revert back to them unless I see some good suggestions for headphones

Share this post


Link to post

I wear a corsair void wireless headset because it sits comfortably on my head and sounds good, and I use a blue yeti microphone. I have had no problems with the setup, pretty good quality too.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, <Jake> said:

Highly recommend the blue yeti mic, I wouldn’t call it “cheap” by any means but it isn’t too expensive especially for the quality... as for a headset, I have the astros.... I’m less than thrilled about them but will use them until they break, I had a pair of corsair voids, I liked them quite a bit, might revert back to them unless I see some good suggestions for headphones

^

I bought the brand new Astro A50's and there so dissapointing. First thing Ive bought my self in a long time and I feel jipped... I may get sennheiisers and return them.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Lucien said:

I wear a corsair void wireless headset because it sits comfortably on my head and sounds good, and I use a blue yeti microphone. I have had no problems with the setup, pretty good quality too.

I bought that and returned it cause the microphone just sounded weird when I was using it. I sware any headset I use except my 30$ logitech the mic always seems muffled

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

I bought that and returned it cause the microphone just sounded weird when I was using it. I sware any headset I use except my 30$ logitech the mic always seems muffled

I thought the mic sounded weird too, so I picked up the Yeti. I liked how the headphones felt though. Not too pricey of a setup too

Share this post


Link to post

@Sugarfoot I will never buy astros again, waste of a big chunk of change, as I said though the blue yeti is very nice and durable (granted it sits on your desk and doesn’t move) or you can go with the snowball if you don’t want to spend as much, I’ve heard good reviews on it but can’t vouch for it as I have the blue yeti and love the thing... everyone, please suggest good earphones, under $300 if possible

Kettles likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

I will keep you informed, I bought these 300$ Astro' things and there just too complicated for me. All these damn buttons end up changing my sound when I pick them up and they only hold about 7 hours of a charge from there so called "12 hours".

 

Wha's your thoughts on these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=twister_B077YBTRTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and your thoughts on closed vs open back ear phones?

I've used closed-back all my life until a few years ago. I switched to Sennheiser's open-back design and never looked back.

There is definitely some sound leakage with this type of headset though, people can hear what you're listening to and you can hear everything around you.

One other thing to note is that closed-back headphones tend to have a heavier bass while open-back headphones will grant you sound clarity you wouldn't be able to achieve with a close-back design.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Lucien said:

I thought the mic sounded weird too, so I picked up the Yeti. I liked how the headphones felt though. Not too pricey of a setup too

I should have fucking done that - It sounded great just had a bad mic and sat weird on my head.

 

Just now, <Jake> said:

@Sugarfoot I will never buy astros again, waste of a big chunk of change, as I said though the blue yeti is very nice and durable (granted it sits on your desk and doesn’t move) or you can go with the snowball if you don’t want to spend as much, I’ve heard good reviews on it but can’t vouch for it as I have the blue yeti and love the thing... everyone, please suggest good earphones, under $300 if possible

Completely feel you there man. I think I will get the Blue Yeti Pro that you guys recommended it looks awesome. As for earphones not sure yet.

 

Just now, Kettles said:

I've used closed-back all my life until a few years ago. I switched to Sennheiser's open-back design and never looked back.

There is definitely some sound leakage with this type of headset though, people can hear what you're listening to and you can hear everything around you.

One other thing to note is that closed-back headphones tend to have a heavier bass while open-back headphones will grant you sound clarity you wouldn't be able to achieve with a close-back design.

Honestly you may have to explain this as dumbed down as you can - like in terms of Rainbow Six Siege for me to understand other then the sound leakage lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, <Jake> said:

@Sugarfoot I will never buy astros again, waste of a big chunk of change, as I said though the blue yeti is very nice and durable (granted it sits on your desk and doesn’t move) or you can go with the snowball if you don’t want to spend as much, I’ve heard good reviews on it but can’t vouch for it as I have the blue yeti and love the thing... everyone, please suggest good earphones, under $300 if possible

HyperX Cloud II are amazing. Had them 3 months now, no faults whatsoever and hear footsteps really well in all games I play and is great for watching movies. Super comfortable too.

Jake likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Kettles said:

I've used closed-back all my life until a few years ago. I switched to Sennheiser's open-back design and never looked back.

There is definitely some sound leakage with this type of headset though, people can hear what you're listening to and you can hear everything around you.

One other thing to note is that closed-back headphones tend to have a heavier bass while open-back headphones will grant you sound clarity you wouldn't be able to achieve with a close-back design.

Image result for doing equations

Kettles likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Not to derail the thread but I just want to take a moment to shine light on what our community can be no matter how toxic we are to each other, shit is gunna get me teary eyed <3

Flameless, Sugarfoot and Lucien like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, william said:

HyperX Cloud II are amazing. Had them 3 months now, no faults whatsoever and hear footsteps really well in all games I play and is great for watching movies. Super comfortable too.

I have the same ones and they work very well, so I would also recommend these. 

AlboGravity likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, william said:

HyperX Cloud II are amazing. Had them 3 months now, no faults whatsoever and hear footsteps really well in all games I play and is great for watching movies. Super comfortable too.

+1 I’ve had the original hyper x cloud for over 2 years they are great quality and pretty cheap around 100$. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

I should have fucking done that - It sounded great just had a bad mic and sat weird on my head.

 

Completely feel you there man. I think I will get the Blue Yeti Pro that you guys recommended it looks awesome. As for earphones not sure yet.

 

Honestly you may have to explain this as dumbed down as you can - like in terms of Rainbow Six Siege for me to understand other then the sound leakage lol.

To put it simply, you'll be able to pick up on a wider range of sounds that you otherwise wouldn't be able to with a closed-back design.

The various instruments will be more clear and distinguishable when compared to the muddied mess that bass-y headphones provide.

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

From someone who has swapped headsets and mic constantly, here's what I recommend:

Since you are on a $300 budget I would get a Hyper X Cloud II https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ. They are very comfortable and very sturdy. The frame is metal so it is very hard to break them and it has a long length cord with great quality sound. Now, if you were playing games like CSGO or any game that has footsteps and is competitive, I would get https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ADG1X-High-Fidelity-Gaming-Headset/dp/B01AYZZP5U . The mic on this headset is pretty good, but it's mostly about the quality of sound you get through this headset. If you could put a little more money into your budget and get a blue yeti mic along side this, you would have the best experience. The only thing I don't like about the blue yeti is that you either need an desk extension mic arm so it is out of your way. I honestly don't think that a blue yeti is 100% necessary unless your trying to make good quality videos. Even then, you will have to download certain programs like voicemeeter to get your mic to the best it can be. If you didn't have those settings set, you would hear everything in your room whether it be a fan or someone watching a YouTube video across the room.

The $300 headset is worn by summit1g also and he has said it's been good for him for a while now. He used to use it when he was going pro in CS.

Edited by AlboGravity

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Weeaboo Jones said:

sennheiser hd598 and at2020 to sound like me and carson

You can't say Hooos (house) like Carson though...

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, AlboGravity said:

From someone who has swapped headsets and mic constantly, here's what I recommend:

Since you are on a $300 budget I would get a Hyper X Cloud II https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ. They are very comfortable and very sturdy. The frame is metal so it is very hard to break them and it has a long length cord with great quality sound. Now, if you were playing games like CSGO or any game that has footsteps and is competitive, I would get https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ADG1X-High-Fidelity-Gaming-Headset/dp/B01AYZZP5U . The mic on this headset is pretty good, but it's mostly about the quality of sound you get through this headset. If you could put a little more money into your budget and get a blue yeti mic along side this, you would have the best experience. The only thing I don't like about the blue yeti is that you either need an desk extension mic arm so it is out of your way. I honestly don't think that a blue yeti is 100% necessary unless your trying to make good quality videos. Even then, you will have to download certain programs like voicemeeter to get your mic to the best it can be. If you didn't have those settings set, you would hear everything in your room whether it be a fan or someone watching a YouTube video across the room.

The $300 headset is worn by summit1g also and he has said it's been good for him for a while now. He used to use it when he was going pro in CS.

If I was to go the stand alone Mic route would you still recommend the hyper x cloud II over a seinheiser?

Share this post


Link to post

to be honest i never bought the idea of getting a standalone mic for gaming, i have had a mod mic for a couple of years along with my sennheiser headphones and they are great

 

mod mic + sennheiser combo is definitely something you should consider

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

If I was to go the stand alone Mic route would you still recommend the hyper x cloud II over a seinheiser?

I don't have any experience with the seinheiser headset, but it looks to be pretty good. I have used the HyperX Cloud II headset for about a year now and I haven't had any problems with it. Sound quality is excellent and very sturdy. it would come down to reviews and how much you want to save in the long run. Either way, I think you will get a good quality setup with either one.

Sugarfoot likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, massi said:

to be honest i never bought the idea of getting a standalone mic for gaming, i have had a mod mic for a couple of years along with my sennheiser headphones and they are great

 

mod mic + sennheiser combo is definitely something you should consider

I dont know anything about a mod mic - whats that all about? Is it comparable in quality or a drastic reduction in price?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

I dont know anything about a mod mic - whats that all about? Is it comparable in quality or a drastic reduction in price?

It looks like the sennheiser headset is originally $400 and on the "massdrop" site they are going for $200. They are also know to be "The best headphones under $1000". That might be worth the money. I would get that with a blue yeti and a desk arm for the mic if you want to add another $15.

Kettles likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I use a Blue Yeti and Sennheiser HD 598s

 

probably like $200 for both, maybe a little more, works amazing

Sugarfoot likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

What type of microphone were you interested in? I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Audio-Technica AT2035, and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. On a good day you could get all of that for $300. If you go for this setup, you will also need a XLR cable and a compatible stand for the included mount with the microphone.

Edited by Maric

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kettles said:

Microphone:

Blue Yeti - 100 USD - https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Yeti-USB-Microphone-Blackout/dp/B00N1YPXW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515444277&sr=8-1&keywords=yeti+blue

Headset:

Sennheiser 6XX - 200 USD - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

AKG 7XX - 200 USD - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

(You need to make a Massdrop account in order to purchase these headsets, it's free to so)

Orderd my 6xx a month ago

Kettles likes this

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, massi said:

to be honest i never bought the idea of getting a standalone mic for gaming, i have had a mod mic for a couple of years along with my sennheiser headphones and they are great

 

mod mic + sennheiser combo is definitely something you should consider

I have a mod mic 4. I was really disappointed with the sound of it. Switched back to my snowball just a week after. 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Azeh said:

250 Ohm tho?

I honestly dont know what ohm means in this case (Other then the electrical engineering rendition of the word)  or what 250 is value'd as.

 

11 hours ago, Maric said:

What type of microphone were you interested in? I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Audio-Technica AT2035, and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. On a good day you could get all of that for $300. If you go for this setup, you will also need a XLR cable and a compatible stand for the included mount with the microphone.

I just wanted something easy that I could plug in. The Blue Yeti Pro seems like I can just plug it in without all this extra shit

Edited by Sugarfoot

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Azeh said:

250 Ohm tho?

It's what I have currently paired with a Soundcard/DAC it's perfect for music/gaming.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.