Combat Logging

Combat Loggers are easily one of the worst problems with Asylum, with server performance and community degradation being above. In no multiplayer game is it acceptable to combat log. Most games have mechanics to prevent it and so does Asylum, but it doesn't work. Sure, there is the fifteen second cool down before suicide or disconnecting and you can no longer disconnect without pressing escape. Combat loggers will still log unless it is made impossible to do so. The only true mechanism to stop these players are bans. These bans are given out, but they are short and sweet. They start out at six hours to three days which isn't enough. Combat Logging is not something new to this server and it is a rule that is universal across games. So, I propose that combat log bans should be made as "perm (lets talk)" These players should not be allowed to play again until they explain what they did to an administrator and it is made clear that it isn't acceptable. If the person were to do it again, give them a ban that continuously reinstates. I understand that the developers want to make it so that players who break rules are granted an opportunity to redeem themselves, but combat logging is an unjustifiable thing to do. All I ask is that combat logging is not to be put on the same level as VDM and RDM. These are just my thoughts on the issue and all further input on the subject is appreciated.

Edited by Maric
Just now, Maric said:

Combat Loggers are easily one of the worst problems with Asylum, with server performance and community degradation being above. In no multiplayer game is it acceptable to combat log. Most games have mechanics to prevent it and so does Asylum, but it doesn't work. Sure, there is the fifteen second cool down before suicide or disconnecting and you can no longer disconnect without pressing escape. Combat loggers will still log unless it is made impossible to do so. The only true mechanism to stop these players are bans. These bans are given out, but they are short and sweet. They start out at six hours to three days which isn't enough. Combat Logging is not something new to this server and it is a rule that is universal across games. So, I propose that combat log bans should be made as "perm (lets talk)" These players should not be allowed to play again until they explain what they did to an administrator and it is made clear that it isn't acceptable. If the person were to do it again, give them a ban that continuously reinstates. I understand that the developers want to make it so that players who break rules are granted an opportunity to redeem themselves, but combat logging is an unjustifiable thing to do. All I ask is that combat logging is not to be put on the same level as VDM and RDM. These are just my thoughts on the issue and all further input on the subject is appreciated.

Combat logging does ruin game-play. but not to the extent of requiring admin attention for every combat log. I could be wrong, but I am sure the admins have better things to do than talk with 150 combat loggers in teamspeak. Maybe something should be done to eliminate the problem, but it doesn't need to require admin time.

thero, Bherky and Gh0st like this

Thank you for the write up Maric.

I too agree that combat logging is a major issue, as you had stated here. Although a perm ban seems like a great idea, there are a few issues with that. It should be noted that although the first offense is rather short, it's starts the record on them. If they continue their actions, they are removed in due time.. 

If you would like to join teamspeak and speak further about this, please do!

Bherky and Pwnsome like this
Just now, Gnashes said:

"perm (lets talk)" = "Fuck this server, I'm gonna go play somewhere else"

The difference is that these players are breaking a universal rule that applies to most other servers and games. It should be a good thing to get rid of them. CL is currently treated like VDM and RDM when it shouldn't.

Just now, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

If they continue their actions, they are removed in due time.. 

In that "due time", they ruin the game for the APD, bounty hunters, and sometimes rebels.

Edited by Maric
Samperino likes this

I was on another life server once and there solution to combat loggers was basically jailing them and putting prison clothes on them saying “combat logger” for embarrassment reasons I suppose. 

The time you spent in the combat log jail was about 45 minutes so it encourages you not to log unless you’re willing to face the time. I find this to be a good solution to the problem. 

Samperino, Steve and Walt like this
Just now, Maric said:

The difference is that these players are breaking a universal rule that applies to most other servers and games. It should be a good thing to get rid of them. CL is currently treated like VDM and RDM.

In that "due time", they ruin the game for the APD, bounty hunters, and sometimes rebels.

I agree, they do ruin it and it sucks. As Gnashes has stated prior, we would ban a lot of first time players. Who don't really know what Asylum is, or what the TS is. So their work of "Coming to talk" would be more work than they are willing to do. In the appeals section, harsh reality has/is dealt out in regards to any ban. We always tell the user that continuing to CL will only cause their perm removal. There have been plenty of times, where in a couple weeks span i see the same people continuing to CL. I up their ban times to a substantial time. In turn they stop their actions, and/ or come speak with me in hopes of their ban being reduced. I can assure you that the entire admin team dislikes combat loggers just as much as you do, if not more. But history shows that being "Too harsh" with bans has proven to be counterproductive in the long run.  

Just now, Penguin_ said:

The time you spent in the combat log jail was about 45 minutes so it encourages you not to log unless you’re willing to face the time.

My problem with this solution is the "it encourages you not to log unless you're willing to face the time". That means people who will already go to jail for 45 minutes due to their bounty would log anyways so the bounty hunter or APD gets no money. I don't want to make this about the money, but it really just wastes the time the bounty hunter or APD put in to capture the individual.

Just now, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

In the appeals section, harsh reality has/is dealt out in regards to any ban. We always tell the user that continuing to CL will only cause their perm removal.

This happens with almost all rule breaking on the server. What I am asking is that CL should not be treated like VDM, RDM, etc. CL is one of the worst violations of the rules and should be treated so. Maybe I wouldn't feel so harshly on the matter if the APD and bounty hunters were at least granted some sort of compensation (automatically) for a person combat logging in their custody.

Just now, Maric said:

My problem with this solution is the "it encourages you not to log unless you're willing to face the time". That means people who will already go to jail for 45 minutes due to their bounty would log anyways so the bounty hunter or APD gets no money. I don't want to make this about the money, but it really just wastes the time the bounty hunter or APD put in to capture the individual.

I mean, if they combat log you won’t get the money anyways now will you. And what I see on cop when people cl they just come back and try to kill you. Same with bounty hunters. 

Bherky likes this
Just now, Maric said:

This happens with almost all rule breaking on the server. What I am asking is that CL should not be treated like VDM, RDM, etc. CL is one of the worst violations of the rules and should be treated so. Maybe I wouldn't feel so harshly on the matter if the APD and bounty hunters were at least granted some sort of compensation (automatically) for a person combat logging in their custody.

I am going to speak to bamf about an conversation we had about this issue a bit ago and see what his thoughts are. 

Bherky likes this

I remember hearing about another server giving Paratus or Bamf a script that would keep a player’s body in game that combat logged, thus allowing the player to still be jailed and the downing player to still be paid. Never used obviously. If they used it and it worked I think that would help from the compensation side.

Just now, Penguin_ said:

Same with bounty hunters. 

That is not correct.

Just now, Olio said:

I remember hearing about another server giving Paratus or Bamf a script that would keep a player’s body in game that combat logged, thus allowing the player to still be jailed and the downing player to still be paid. Never used obviously.

This is incredibly disappointing to hear if this story has any truth to it.

Space, Bherky, Steve and 1 other like this

It’s olympus and it works on there. Their bones fall to the ground when they log and u windows key them. When they log back in they’re in jail

Just now, Olio said:

I remember hearing about another server giving Paratus or Bamf a script that would keep a player’s body in game that combat logged, thus allowing the player to still be jailed and the downing player to still be paid. Never used obviously. If they used it and it worked I think that would help from the compensation side.

JaxxonMurphy and Space like this
Just now, Olio said:

Agreed with Maric, if they were given this and it was never implemented.. that's a huge disappointment. 

Just now, Olio said:

On Olympus you can "send the bones" of a player.

So when they combat log you send their "bones" to jail.

I highly doubt they simply 'gave' the script to gnashes and bamf considering they take server competition pretty seriously.

Edited by Goyneyyy
Walt likes this
Just now, Olio said:

+1 

Just now, Maric said:

They need some sort of fucking thing to be dropped to turn in to stop it in the last hour i have had a total of 300k of bounty cl on me and i honestly cant be fucking bothered  to report anymore cos its action taken 5 mins later there on doing the same shit 

+1 Maric

Plus when I go to the admins over a compensation for a logged bounty I usually get less than 1/2 the amount of the bounty - I've recently slowed the amount of reports I submit as the software required to record my Arma + the time and effort required to report far outweighs the compensation and worth I get, for I do not see an incentive in reporting people who often get less than a day in bans.

Kinda annoying that you barely get any of their bounty as comp if they log. I see why this is done obviously, however its so discouraging for newer players to be logged out on and not get paid for all the tracking and hard work.

An easy fix for this would be the person who is escourting him and within a 1km radius of a courthouse/skiptracer should get 100% of the bounty compensated to their account.

thoughts?

Good Lub, -CK-, Bherky and 1 other like this
Just now, william said:

Kinda annoying that you barely get any of their bounty as comp if they log. I see why this is done obviously, however its so discouraging for newer players to be logged out on and not get paid for all the tracking and hard work.

An easy fix for this would be the person who is escourting him and within a 1km radius of a courthouse/skiptracer should get 100% of the bounty compensated to their account.

thoughts?

This would be good, because majority of CL are in Kavala, and other city centers.

Just now, william said:

thoughts?

I think a scalar that measures distance from the closest court house could be used.

Just now, william said:

thoughts?

What if in the time it would take for you to travel that 1km if he had not CLed you crashed and killed him or an ifrit full of rebels drops on you and kills you. You never know very unlikely but still possible.

Just now, Tyler said:

What if in the time it would take for you to travel that 1km if he had not CLed you crashed and killed him or an ifrit full of rebels drops on you and kills you. You never know very unlikely but still possible.

1) Drive better

2) Get good

3) if he didn't combat log, why would he be sent to jail. If his buddy saves him or you crash, he didn't do anything lol

Just now, eRr0r : n0 UnIT said:

1) Drive better

2) Get good

3) if he didn't combat log, why would he be sent to jail. If his buddy saves him or you crash, he didn't do anything lol

I mean, I don't think you understood a single word that was written. I am explaining why the Admins won't do a full comp unless he CLs like on the courthouse steps. If you could read i'm sure you could put 2 and 2 together, but since apparently you can't I have to waste my time typing this sentence.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:15 PM, Tyler said:

I mean, I don't think you understood a single word that was written. I am explaining why the Admins won't do a full comp unless he CLs like on the courthouse steps. If you could read i'm sure you could put 2 and 2 together, but since apparently you can't I have to waste my time typing this sentence.

o