Host Provider Migration

I think a lot of us agree that the Devs need to just say fuck the host provider they currently have and migrate to a new host provider that can actually provide a quality server. The current Host Provider just sucks ass. At first I thought it was DDoS, however you can tell when a server is getting DDoSed and when it isn't. When it reaches on Server 4 between 60 Players to 70 Players that is when the server has problems. If it was DDoS it would happen regardless of player base. So, what I suggest for the Devs is to find another host provider, download all the files using filezilla or any other FTP software and have the files on your local drive. Have 1 server shutdown and then upload all of the files to the server. Make sure that PHP & SQL files are also copied over if the host provider is the same or just redirect the PHP & SQL files to the new IP address of the new server. Boom! You are done and probably only take 4-6 hours. Give an announcement 24 hours prior to the server being shutdown and you are good. I understand its some work to do but the Devs have already put in work in new features, i.e. The Lumber Mills, so why not up the performance of their server in the next update? What you guys think? Petition in new host provider?

Edited by xlOutsiderlx
Crackbaby likes this

c3a43f6120c40e158895c52f754d78af.png

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and you are just spewing random bullshit

you know nothing about computers

So, what I suggest for the Devs is to find another host provider, download all the files using filezilla or any other FTP software and have the files on your local drive. Have 1 server shutdown and then upload all of the files to the server. Make sure that PHP & SQL files are also copied over if the host provider is the same or just redirect the PHP & SQL files to the new IP address of the new server. Boom! You are done and probably only take 4-6 hours. 

397046862206468103.gif?v=1

Just now, massi said:

c3a43f6120c40e158895c52f754d78af.png

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and you are just spewing random bullshit

you know nothing about computers

397046862206468103.gif?v=1

Actually, I had a life server before but no one played it because.. Well... There is already a shit ton of RP servers that people play on. So.... Yes, I know what the fuck I am talking about. In fact if you know so much, then tell me what can they do better?

BTW, I am CompTIA Security+ Certified. So...

Edited by xlOutsiderlx
Ibraheem likes this
Just now, xlOutsiderlx said:

Actually, I had a life server before but no one played it because.. Well... There is already a shit ton of RP servers that people play on. So.... Yes, I know what the fuck I am talking about. In fact if you know so much, then tell me what can they do better?

Just because you were able to follow a tutorial on YouTube on how to setup an arma 3 life server doesn't mean you understand how networking works

Steve likes this
Just now, massi said:

Just because you were able to follow a tutorial on YouTube on how to setup an arma 3 life server doesn't mean you understand how networking works

Umm... Yes, I do know how networking works. So, tell me how this works? Tell me what is different? I am suggesting an actual solution and all you know to do is slander? What the fuck are you doing to make everything better?

I think a lot of us agree that the Devs need to just say fuck the host provider they currently have and migrate to a new host provider that can actually provide a quality server. The current Host Provider just sucks ass. At first I thought it was DDoS, however you can tell when a server is getting DDoSed and when it isn't. When it reaches on Server 4 between 60 Players to 70 Players that is when the server has problems. If it was DDoS it would happen regardless of player base. So, what I suggest for the Devs is to find another host provider, download all the files using filezilla or any other FTP software and have the files on your local drive. Have 1 server shutdown and then upload all of the files to the server. Make sure that PHP & SQL files are also copied over if the host provider is the same or just redirect the PHP & SQL files to the new IP address of the new server. Boom! You are done and probably only take 4-6 hours. Give an announcement 24 hours prior to the server being shutdown and you are good. I understand its some work to do but the Devs have already put in work in new features, i.e. The Lumber Mills, so why not up the performance of their server in the next update? What you guys think? Petition in new host provider?

99% sure the devs here know exactly how to transfer a server considering they have done it a million times. And also the other 3 servers have no where near as many issues as server 4... so your theory that the entire host is bad is irrelevant. They even have a representative from the hosting company thoroughly check server 4's hardware and saw no issues what so ever. Server 4 simply runs like shit and no one knows why. 2nd the Devs don't want to pay crazy amounts of money (yes i know how expensive servers can be I purchased and configured OVH boxes for 2 years they are fucking insanely expensive) since Asylum doesn't make any profit the small amount of money it does bring in goes right back in to the server (as far as we know). So unless you have any other bright ideas... i'd say this is a closed discussion.

xlOutsiderlx and Xavorey like this

Get another host provider. Boom! Done!

You are absolutely without a doubt stupid if you think that will solve the issue. All the ddoser has to do is change the IP to the new hosting provider and it will probably end up being worse than it actually is right now.

6h12h5.png

good luck blocking this retard

Edited by massi

Do you even know what CompTIA is? CompTIA A+ is held by millions of IT professionals. CompTIA Network+ is held by so many people. CompTIA is recognized by thousands upon thousands of companies. Do you just choose to be retarded or.....

No one who is actually in the IT industry takes Comptia seriously. I hate to break it to you, but you might just want to go back to repairing computers for your family members.

Just now, Tyler said:

99% sure the devs here know exactly how to transfer a server considering they have done it a million times. And also the other 3 servers have no where near as many issues as server 4... so your theory that the entire host is bad is irrelevant. They even have a representative from the hosting company thoroughly check server 4's hardware and saw no issues what so ever. Server 4 simply runs like shit and no one knows why. 2nd the Devs don't want to pay crazy amounts of money (yes i know how expensive servers can be I purchased and configured OVH boxes for 2 years they are fucking insanely expensive) since Asylum doesn't make any profit the small amount of money it does bring in goes right back in to the server (as far as we know). So unless you have any other bright ideas... i'd say this is a closed discussion.

What other servers have they gone through? Maybe its a script.... Something that keeps running errors in the background. They developed a new update recently and to buy a first aid kit and toolkit it says it will replace my primary weapon at the Rebel Outposts.... So, what could it possibly be? I have been through several other servers and the majority of those servers don't crash. Why does Asylum? Is there just barely any support or what?

And btw you mentioned DDoS this isn't a typical TCP / UDP attack. The attacker exploits a network issue in the Arma 3 coding to overload a specific server function with packets. It literally will happen on any server. The hosting company blocked most of the exploits so far but apparently they keep abusing them.

What other servers have they gone through? Maybe its a script.... Something that keeps running errors in the background. They developed a new update recently and to buy a first aid kit and toolkit it says it will replace my primary weapon at the Rebel Outposts.... So, what could it possibly be? I have been through several other servers and the majority of those servers don't crash. Why does Asylum? Is there just barely any support or what?

The servers have had issues with this for over a year this isn't a new occurrence what so ever. They can't just build it back script by script either you can blame @Paratus for that... apparently everything in the code is so fucked that most people can't even think where to begin fixing it.

Just now, Tyler said:

And btw you mentioned DDoS this isn't a typical TCP / UDP attack. The attacker exploits a network issue in the Arma 3 coding to overload a specific server function with packets. It literally will happen on any server. The hosting company blocked most of the exploits so far but apparently they keep abusing them.

Ehh... I have only seen it happen once recently. I don't think its DDoS. It lags at exactly around 60 to 70 players. Its like the server gets overloaded with connections. 40 people and no problem. No lag, no disconnects, no reboots.

Just now, Tyler said:

The servers have had issues with this for over a year this isn't a new occurrence what so ever. They can't just build it back script by script either you can blame @Paratus for that... apparently everything in the code is so fucked that most people can't even think where to begin fixing it.

No but they can verify that scripts don't have any errors. I am not saying to build the scripts back from scratch that would be ludacris, but what I am suggesting there is input validation.

Ehh... I have only seen it happen once recently. I don't think its DDoS. It lags at exactly around 60 to 70 players. Its like the server gets overloaded with connections. 40 people and no problem. No lag, no disconnects, no reboots.

They have confirmed it's been DDoSed quite a few times... and i understand the server crashes on it's own too but usually the weeks where shit is really fucked worse than normal DDoS is involved like i said it's a layer 7 DDoS attack geared specifically to an exploit in the Arma 3 netcode so not much they can do about it until bohemia rewrites their shitty netcode...

Just now, Tyler said:

They have confirmed it's been DDoSed quite a few times... and i understand the server crashes on it's own too but usually the weeks where shit is really fucked worse than normal DDoS is involved like i said it's a layer 7 DDoS attack geared specifically to an exploit in the Arma 3 netcode so not much they can do about it until bohemia rewrites their shitty netcode...

Really? Is it script kiddies or legit hackers? I haven't heard anything of Layer 7 DDoS attacks. That is something new, and if thats the case then yeah it would be Bohemia. And its confirmed that the Asylum Devs have a reliable DDoS protection service?

Really? Is it script kiddies or legit hackers? I haven't heard anything of Layer 7 DDoS attacks. That is something new, and if thats the case then yeah it would be Bohemia. And its confirmed that the Asylum Devs have a reliable DDoS protection service?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT LAYERS ARE

@xlOutsiderlx

The devs have acknowledged performance issues with the Arma servers, but today there has been multiple >200Gbps attacks which resulted in nullroutes. (1 hour each)

There are only a few providers who are even going to tolerate attacks that large without telling the customer to kick rocks. (OVH, Voxility, Prolexic)

Asylum has used OVH previously, and while OVH is more than capable of sustaining >200Gbps attacks, they don't deal with a lot of the smaller attacks that target the application directly. (Layer 7)

Today is the only day I think Asylum has ever received a null from us, and that's because we have to leverage our upstream provider to handle attacks that large. So while we could technically filter these attacks, it's going to cost significantly more money.

And no offense, but CompTIA is a joke. CompTIA is just general certifications. If you are serious about networking/security you should be aiming for a CISSP. Nobody in the industry cares about a CompTIA certification unless you're trying to land an entry level job.

You literally don't even understand the OSI model, which means you wouldn't make it past the lobby at a company that specializes in DDoS mitigation.

Edited by Linden
Kernikov, massi, Leady and 6 others like this

http://gaming-asylum.com.ipaddress.com/ - Cloudflare for website

http://172.93.107.250.ipaddress.com/ Choopa LLC for Servers... their DDoS protection page https://www.choopa.com/services/ddosprotection/

so yes they have about as good as DDoS protection as you are going to get other than paying crazy amounts of money per month for servers that aren't even in the USA (Canada for OVH, Germany for Voxility).

Edited by Tyler
Just now, Linden said:

@xlOutsiderlx

The devs have acknowledged performance issues with the Arma servers, but today there has been multiple >200Gbps attacks which resulted in nullroutes. (1 hour each)

There are only a few providers who are even going to tolerate attacks that large without telling the customer to kick rocks. (OVH, Voxility, Prolexic)

Asylum has used OVH previously, and while OVH is more than capable of sustaining >200Gbps attacks, they can't deal with a lot of the smaller attacks that target the application directly. (Layer 7)

Today is the only day I think Asylum has ever received a null from us, and that's because we have to leverage our upstream provider to handle attacks that large. So while we could technically filter these attacks, it's going to cost significantly more money.

And no offense, but CompTIA is a joke. CompTIA is just generally certifications. If you are serious about networking/security you should be aiming for a CISSP. Nobody in the industry cares about a CompTIA certification unless you're trying to land an entry level job.

You literally don't even understand the OSI model, which means you wouldn't make it past the lobby at a company that specializes in DDoS mitigation.

Dude, I said that Layer 7 is Application Layer. That is in both of the OSI Models that are out there. Yes, I am trying to go after Entry-Level. I am just trying to see if I should go after OWASP or not. CompTIA is a good place to start and I say a lot of people have them but yes I agree you should go after CISCO and CISSP if you want to pursue Networking.

Just now, Linden said:

@xlOutsiderlx

And no offense, but CompTIA is a joke. CompTIA is just generally certifications. If you are serious about networking/security you should be aiming for a CISSP. Nobody in the industry cares about a CompTIA certification unless you're trying to land an entry level job.

giphy.gif

But linden, the brochure told me id be an IT god after only a month and a half?? Your telling me a month and a half course doesn't make me an expert on multi layer ddosing D:

Damn... They have cloudflare. So... It is DDoS.... But why at peak times? When its not at peak times its fine.

What would be the point of attacking the server when it only has a few players...? Are you being intentionally dense?

Cloudflare is only for protecting websites, has nothing to do with the game servers.

Tyler likes this

Damn... They have cloudflare. So... It is DDoS.... But why at peak times? When its not at peak times its fine.

Coming from someone who has been on both ends of the spectrum. Why would you DDoS a server with 5 people on it? I know when... let's assume "a friend of mine" used to dabble in the whole DDoSing thing they would always target servers near maximum capacity that they could take down relatively quickly but still get a reaction from everyone when they did so. They do it for attention and they think it's funny to watch 300 people lose connection that's why.

xlOutsiderlx likes this
Just now, Linden said:

What would be the point of attacking the server when it only has a few players...? Are you being intentionally dense?

Cloudflare is only for protecting websites, has nothing to do with the game servers.

Yeah, but the website gets hit occasionally too. Not as bad as the game servers i think he was just remarking at how well CloudFlare does their job with DDoS protection (probably why the website rarely goes down).

xlOutsiderlx likes this
Just now, Tyler said:

Coming from someone who has been on both ends of the spectrum. Why would you DDoS a server with 5 people on it? I know when... let's assume "a friend of mine" used to dabble in the whole DDoSing thing they would always target servers near maximum capacity that they could take down relatively quickly but still get a reaction from everyone when they did so. They do it for attention and they think it's funny to watch 300 people lose connection that's why.

*sigh* And is there anything that Devs can do with the DDoSing? I know if you block an IP it won't do much. How about the Steam ID? I guess that won't matter because because of IP spoofing... There has to be a solution, just has to be.