Need Help, is the 1080 really worth it

Winchester

So i have finally decided to make an upgrade and buy a new computer.  I really need a laptop due to how much i travel for work.  I have two different computers from two different websites and i need help deciding on which one is better for the price. I have copy pasted both of the links if you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks!  

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-II-15-VR800-MK-Gaming-Laptop

https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/ASUS-ROG-GL702VI-WB74-120Hz-G-SYNC-Gaming-Laptop-KBL 

Edited by Winchester
Just now, Crunchedd said:

dont buy a gaming laptop for work buy a shitty laptop for work and then slowly build a better desktop for gaming but thats just me 

I'm going to have to go with crunchedd on this one. If you need it because you can't lug around a tower, by all means get a gaming laptop, but if you're only going to be using it for work, then buy a 500 buck acer laptop or something. 

Just now, Twinkie said:

I'm going to have to go with crunchedd on this one. If you need it because you can't lug around a tower, by all means get a gaming laptop, but if you're only going to be using it for work, then buy a 500 buck acer laptop or something. 

When you agree with someone agreeing hehe, I would rather have a slim laptop for work that is easy to carry than the laptop I have now which is a gaming laptop. You're probably not gonna play intensive games at your work anyway.

Twinkie likes this
Just now, Winchester said:

@Crunchedd @thero @skrood` with the 1070 do you think that i will be able to run PUBG and Arma on normal graphics above 60fps? 

Yes you would get there for sure.  But if you go 1080 it will be that much better.  Imo worth it if you got the money for it but 1070 is good.  I roll with a 1060 , i7 - 2400 and 8 gigs of ram and get 60 frames in these games but my frames do drop sometimes on Arma 3 bc of my CPU and Ram / no ssd.  Personally at this point I want to get more ram and a ssd to make me really happy and top things off.  Like Crunched said 16 gb of ram and a ssd with a 1060 and you will still be golden above 60 frames with higher than norm graphics but if you got the money fuck it man spoil yourself with a 1070 or a 1080.   

Edited by Wop

@Crunchedd @thero @skrood` with the 1070 do you think that i will be able to run PUBG and Arma on normal graphics above 60fps? 

Yeah, I have a 1080 and get 80-100 FPS on PUBG with ultra settings, the 1070 can definitely pull 60+ on normal settings. It’s also worth to mention that your graphics card barely matters in Arma, it’s pretty CPU intensive.

FudgeR likes this
Just now, thero said:

Yeah, I have a 1080 and get 80-100 FPS on PUBG with ultra settings, the 1070 can definitely pull 60+ on normal settings. It’s also worth to mention that your graphics card barely matters in Arma, it’s pretty CPU intensive.

1070 & 7700K

PUBG: 140 fps

Arma 3: 40 - 120 fps

Edited by Witz
DJB likes this
Just now, thero said:

Hell yea just saying my uncle bought a pc with similar specs for about 1100$  or so but it was a sale I think... Anyways if @Winchester if you get something worth around that much you will be fucking so happy gaming.  get that 1070, 16gb ram, 250gb ssd or something man.  You can't go wrong and of course a modern CPU i5 is good for gaming I hear.

Edited by Wop

i have a 1060 and can run arma at 50 fps with max settings

pubg is different for me, i need it on an ssd for me to play it, but once everything is loaded i get 60+ fps

Edited by Eazy.lookinass

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-intel-optane-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?skuId=6155310&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=2daccb7f-2105-4992-8d87-d5ba04468e45&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg270771&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

this is something like what my uncle got if not the same PC its a beast.  But he got em on sale for black friday stuff, even came with a VR thing.  I also think his came with a SSD.  I just realized you are looking for laptop, I'm not real sure about them.  But I imagine if you get something with similar specs it will be amazing.

Edited by Wop

What is the difference between a 1080 and 1080TI? Is it worth the extra $300 to get the TI? 

Lol just get a 1070 jeez fuck a ti xd.. depends on your finances to determine worth to me. But anyways here

VRAM: The GTX 1080 has 8GBs of GDDR5X VRAM while the GTX 1080Ti hs 11GBs of GDDR5X memory. The 1080Ti’s memory is slightly faster too. The extra Vram can be of us use for content creators, but not for gamers at this very point

Speed: nVidia claims their gtx 1080Ti is 35% faster, but benchmarks show that it’s 20–25% faster at stock speeds, but 35% faster when overclocked. This might add to the longevity of the card if you wish to keep it for a longer period of time.

GPU Die: The GTX 1080 (and 1070 for that matter) have the GPU core code-named GP-104 and The GTX 1080’s Die size is 314mm^2 While the GTX 1080Ti uses the GPU core code-named GP-102 and its Die size is 471mm^2. - There is nothing superbly important to note here except for my next point.

Amount of CUDA cores: The GTX 1080 has 2560 CUDA cores while the GTX 1080Ti has 3584 CUDA cores. The extra cores may help in GPU-accelerated tasks like video editing, gaming etc.

https://www.quora.com/What’s-the-difference-between-1080-and-1080-TI

I suggest doing further research on your own with youtube. You can find benchmarks and whatnot easily. :D

Edited by Wop