Is this a decent build?

Heidelberg

Just now, Akeelagi said:

If your have the extra money just go for an i7 and a 1080. Other then that you look good. That build is good right now but I’d hate for you to build it and then have to upgrade in a year lol 

I'm not looking to spend much, but want something I can play well with. I don't have the highest expectations, hence my budget is around 1-1500 $. But yeah, upgrading to an i7 would seem good.

Just now, Akeelagi said:

If your have the extra money just go for an i7 and a 1080. Other then that you look good. That build is good right now but I’d hate for you to build it and then have to upgrade in a year lol 

???

He's only getting 8GB of DDR4-2400 ram, how do you expect him to go from a 1060 6GB to a 1080?

@Heidelberg I would trade that Cooler Master aftermarket cooler for something similarly priced from Noctua, you'll get WAY better price/performance. Looking on PCPartPicker, that cooler is $72 USD while Noctua's best cooler, NH-D15S, is $79 USD. Of course, this depends on whether or not your case supports this giant cooler, if not, you can settle for one of their smaller models. It'll still be better than anything from Cooler Master.

Are you planning on doing any overclocking on your CPU? If not, you should settle for a non-K 8600 and look into getting one of the more budget-oriented motherboards that were recently released for Coffeelake. If you are going to overclock then disregard what I just said.

If you can, you should try to get faster RAM. I'm not sure if you're going with a 1x8 or 2x4 setup but it's something you should consider.

Space and BlackShot like this
Just now, Kettles said:

???

He's only getting 8GB of DDR4-2400 ram, how do you expect him to go from a 1060 6GB to a 1080?

@Heidelberg I would trade that Cooler Master aftermarket cooler for something similarly priced from Noctua, you'll get WAY better price/performance. Looking on PCPartPicker, that cooler is $72 USD while Noctua's best cooler, NH-D15S, is $79 USD. Of course, this depends on whether or not your case supports this giant cooler, if not, you can settle for one of their smaller models. It'll still be better than anything from Cooler Master.

Are you planning on doing any overclocking on your CPU? If not, you should settle for a non-K 8600 and look into getting one of the more budget-oriented motherboards that were recently released for Coffeelake. If you are going to overclock then disregard what I just said.

If you can, you should try to get faster RAM. I'm not sure if you're going with a 1x8 or 2x4 setup but it's something you should consider.

I'm not looking for overclocking, and as far as the cooler, seems like a good alternative. I've just heard that the Cooler Master is a decent one for a neat price. Motherboard-wise, i'm just looking for something gaming-compatible and not too old tbf.

Just now, Heidelberg said:

I'm not looking to spend much, but want something I can play well with. I don't have the highest expectations, hence my budget is around 1-1500 $. But yeah, upgrading to an i7 would seem good.

Core i7 processors use a feature called “hyper-threading” to reach above and beyond the number of cores they have. So, a Core i7 processor with four cores can actually handle eight threads of data at once. Processors with hyper-threading can effectively double the number of threads they can handle simultaneously.

However ARMA 3 does not benifit from this, lets cut all the technical crap and look at an actual test below.

So my recommendation is for ARMA if you're on a budget, stick to i5 and spend the money elsewhere.

BlackShot, McMuffin, Kettles and 1 other like this

Hey, my little brother just started playing CSGO on his computer  and it was almost unplayable. I just ordered him these parts to build him a new one. Hope this helps. I picked the parts as if I were buying it for myself so its a pretty nice PC.

https://gyazo.com/7ac76ac52f512bb1387f8fd5885de673

https://gyazo.com/3e04f0dd5f04e80d4d9c11aa9ffce01c

The total was $998.89

HOWEVER, this does not include a graphics card. This is because I got myself a titan xp. So my little bro is taking my 980ti. With that being said, the1080ti is only $699. So if you increased your budget from 1500 to 1700. you would have a beast PC. Just my thoughts! Good luck!

Just now, Biground said:

Hey, my little brother just started playing CSGO on his computer  and it was almost unplayable. I just ordered him these parts to build him a new one. Hope this helps. I picked the parts as if I were buying it for myself so its a pretty nice PC.

The total was $998.89

HOWEVER, this does not include a graphics card. This is because I got myself a titan xp. So my little bro is taking my 980ti. With that being said, the1080ti is only $699. So if you increased your budget from 1500 to 1700. you would have a beast PC. Just my thoughts! Good luck!

jesus, overkill for csgo :D

BioHazard likes this
Just now, Biground said:

The total was $998.89

This is 2018 and you bought a CD reader?

BioHazard likes this

Not bad, but just be careful with that CPU. Its not bad with the 1060, but if you decide a year down the road the 1060 inst cutting it for you and you want to upgrade, youll also have to upgrade your CPU and possibly your mobo, otherwise it can bottleneck a new GPU. I made this mistake when building my first and spent around $900 upgrading my gpu cpu and mobo when i originally intended on $550 for just a gpu.