Monitors - 60 hz , 144hz, other fancy shit

Gatorade

So quick question - I wanted to plan ahead when I build a new computer about the monitor.

- Is it worth the chunk of money it costs for a 144 hz monitor or is that difference not that noticeable from a 60 hz.

- Is it something that if you have a computer on the higher end you are wasting the money on the machine if you dont have a monitor like this?

- Why are some of the monitors expensive as hell but still dont have the 144 hz?

(Don't know shit about monitors,)

@Sugarfoot

144hz vs 60 hz WILL be a noticeable difference, and pricing can be different for many reasons, size for example, brand, it may be damn near the same thing through and through but certain brands are considered “better” because they have been around longer/people haven’t had issues with previous products in the past... also take into consideration the 1ms-6ms... honestly anything past 3ms is not needed, I have a 1ms mainly for bragging rights if I’m being honest, but the response time makes a huge difference, along with what resolution your monitor is, is it 1080? 4K? It depends what factors are important to you

Just now, Jake said:

@Sugarfoot

144hz vs 60 hz WILL be a noticeable difference, and pricing can be different for many reasons, size for example, brand, it may be damn near the same thing through and through but certain brands are considered “better” because they have been around longer/people haven’t had issues with previous products in the past... also take into consideration the 1ms-6ms... honestly anything past 3ms is not needed, I have a 1ms mainly for bragging rights if I’m being honest, but the response time makes a huge difference, along with what resolution your monitor is, is it 1080? 4K? It depends what factors are important to you

Gotcha, I was just curious how it would all work out.

Like would I have to be able to run a game at 144 fps to hit the full effectiveness of the monitor e.t.c. I was planning on taking these monitors to use at work and buying a nice monitor eventually but I figured I would start researching early.

Just now, Sugarfoot said:

Gotcha, I was just curious how it would all work out.

Like would I have to be able to run a game at 144 fps to hit the full effectiveness of the monitor e.t.c. I was planning on taking these monitors to use at work and buying a nice monitor eventually but I figured I would start researching early.

144 hz is 144 hz either way... if you achieve 144+FPS you will have the best outcome, but even having 100 FPS with 144hz is still better than 60hz... it’s not really “bottlenecking” each other, but at the same time it is if you are understanding what I’m trying to say? It’s kindve hard to word it

Just now, Jake said:

144 hz is 144 hz either way... if you achieve 144+FPS you will have the best outcome, but even having 100 FPS with 144hz is still better than 60hz... it’s not really “bottlenecking” each other, but at the same time it is if you are understanding what I’m trying to say? It’s kindve hard to word it

Yeah I get what your saying, 

The point of what you said was anything above 60 hz is still above 60 hz even if you aren't maxing out what your monitor could do

Just now, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

IPS and OLED monitors will cost more due to image quality as well. FreeSync/GSync will increase the costs at better performance.

@Sugarfoot this also is important, I forgot to add it in my list, but really there are many factors and the bottom like is “what are you willing to spend, and what are you looking for?”

Just now, Jake said:

@Sugarfoot this also is important, I forgot to add it in my list, but really there are many factors and the bottom like is “what are you willing to spend, and what are you looking for?”

I mean I don't have a budget per say but if somethings worth money I would save a bit longer kinda deal. I just dont know shit about the stats or whats worth what when it comes to monitors

I mean I don't have a budget per say but if somethings worth money I would save a bit longer kinda deal. I just dont know shit about the stats or whats worth what when it comes to monitors

I would say keeping it cost efficient, look for 3ms, 60 or 144hz, as @Tyler said, if you play fast paced games like CSGO get. 144hz, where as games like Arma 60hz will do just fine, ISP vs OLED, I suggest do research on these, they both have pros and cons, some very good pros and other cons like lifespan/crispness etc... if your GPU supports G-sync consider getting a monitor with this feature.. if you have any other questions I’d be happy to help as others that know more than me so ask away

So quick question - I wanted to plan ahead when I build a new computer about the monitor.

- Is it worth the chunk of money it costs for a 144 hz monitor or is that difference not that noticeable from a 60 hz.

- Is it something that if you have a computer on the higher end you are wasting the money on the machine if you dont have a monitor like this?

- Why are some of the monitors expensive as hell but still dont have the 144 hz?

(Don't know shit about monitors,)

I personally don't notice any difference between 144hz or 60hz, my friends who look at my monitor and compare it to my 2nd 60hz one say there's an obvious difference.

I don't believe there's actual facts when it comes to noticing the difference but it's supposedly better.

With regards to what Henry was saying, OLED is a newer type of monitor that has much true-er colors, it's an Organic Light Emitting Device, so instead of having a black backlight, if something is black, the actual pixel is off, instead of being backlit.

OLED is a huge difference, but if it's not something you know you want, I'd say to just go with a nice 144hz monitor.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/Viotek-GN32C-Widescreen-Definition-DisplayPort/dp/B01N2QN4YP
The main monitor of my setup, the curve is a nice addition and it's a great monitor.

Edited by BishopActual

Human eyes can only see 30 fps.

No but seriously, it all depends on your situation... you need to consider a few things:

What resolution?

What GPU do you have?

What games do you play besides Arma?

Gsync/freesync? 

IPS or TN, or does it even matter to you?

If you have a gtx 1080 ti or higher, a 1440p gsync monitor might be worth it,but anything below that, there is honestly no point of a 1440p monitor over 60hz, even a 1080 is gonna struggle. if you have a pretty good card say 1070-1080 then i would go with a 1080p 144hz. Also, your preferred games, if youre only playing arma, then its completely useless to go 144 as the game runs like garbage. Now to get down to price, things like gsync and IPS are gonna increase the price a pretty significant amount, personally I think gsync is worth it but i couldnt give two shits about the IPS vs TN.  

Just now, BishopActual said:

With regards to what Henry was saying, OLED is a newer type of monitor that has much true-er colors, it's an Organic Light Emitting Device, so instead of having a black backlight, if something is black, the actual pixel is off, instead of being backlit.

OLED is a huge difference, but if it's not something you know you want, I'd say to just go with a nice 144hz monitor.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/Viotek-GN32C-Widescreen-Definition-DisplayPort/dp/B01N2QN4YP
The main monitor of my setup, the curve is a nice addition and it's a great monitor.

That monitor looks nice!

Just now, Randy. said:

Human eyes can only see 30 fps.

No but seriously, it all depends on your situation... you need to consider a few things:

What resolution?

What GPU do you have?

What games do you play besides Arma?

Gsync/freesync? 

IPS or TN, or does it even matter to you?

If you have a gtx 1080 ti or higher, a 1440p gsync monitor might be worth it,but anything below that, there is honestly no point of a 1440p monitor over 60hz, even a 1080 is gonna struggle. if you have a pretty good card say 1070-1080 then i would go with a 1080p 144hz. Also, your preferred games, if youre only playing arma, then its completely useless to go 144 as the game runs like garbage. Now to get down to price, things like gsync and IPS are gonna increase the price a pretty significant amount, personally I think gsync is worth it but i couldnt give two shits about the IPS vs TN.  

So right now I have a 760 but ill be upgrading the computer soon to something with either a 1070ti or one of the 11 series video cards when they come out.

As for games I dont play arma - Its between Rainbow Six Siege, Black Desert Online, Ghost Recon Wildlands and whatever new release comes out.

As for resolution currently its 1920x1080 but id assume that would change as the card gets better.

As for any of the other fancy options you listed - im illiterate in this area nad I have no idea what any of them are.

As for games I dont play arma - Its between Rainbow Six Siege, Black Desert Online, Ghost Recon Wildlands and whatever new release comes out.

Siege is why I bought my 144hz monitors, it's a huge change.

One thing to know is that to use 144hz effectively at 1080p or higher, you need a Display Port cable, or a Dual-Link (don't know the full name of it.)

I was furious when I got my 144hz monitor and then couldn't use it at 144hz until I got a display port cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B005H3Q59U

You can find cheaper ones on Amazon but those are the ones I use.

Just now, BishopActual said:

Siege is why I bought my 144hz monitors, it's a huge change.

One thing to know is that to use 144hz effectively at 1080p or higher, you need a Display Port cable, or a Dual-Link (don't know the full name of it.)

I was furious when I got my 144hz monitor and then couldn't use it at 144hz until I got a display port cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B005H3Q59U

You can find cheaper ones on Amazon but those are the ones I use.

Yeah the thing that gets me with siege is I hang around 57-70 frames (Mostly low / med) most of the time and its a pain in the ass when you are rushing in that game as I feel like the shit I see is never smooth as when I watch others play it. 

Will defintely look forward to that