Video Card Question

Gatorade

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about buying my brother a video card to hold him over for PC upgrade for another year or two. The prices are fucking ridiculous on everything right now, ive looked from a 970 / 970ti / 980 / 980ti all the way through the 10 series cards. Ideally I wanted to buy me and him a 1070 ti but there stupidly over priced. I have heard some rumours that the 11 series will be releasing in july possibly but there's no actual evidense.

With all of that being said is there actually a good possability the 11 series cards are released soon? (Provided the prices on those are within the 300-500 range)

Or on the contrary that one of these 1070/1070 ti's go on sale close to that original price.

Thanks Guys

Edited by Sugarfoot

The 80s(possibly the 70s)superiority over the previous is pretty big.If the graphic cards are coming then there might be a sale on the previous cards allowing you to catch a 80 or 70 for cheap.Shouldn't bother with the 9 tier anymore as they are not price worthy.So

Either wait and see if there gonna be a sale soon,

Find them now for mediocre prices.

Just now, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Buy him a xbox.

I offered him mines, he didnt want it-

Just now, Tusken Raider said:

11 Series will start production at end of June. Will be more expensive than 10 series, since they are using GDDR6 instead of GDD5. The new memory cost 20% more to make but will be twice as fast and only made in 8Gb and 16Gb variants. All of this came from the memory maker of Nvidia cards. 

Now im probably an idiot here but im assuming they will follow the standard PCI x16 slot and still work on the older machines?

(I would also expect the price to be around 480$ then for an 1170 if thats the case? (1070 ~ $390 + 20% = $480 ) does that sound accurate?)

Just now, Sugarfoot said:

Now im probably an idiot here but im assuming they will follow the standard PCI x16 slot and still work on the older machines?

(I would also expect the price to be around 480$ then for an 1170 if thats the case? (1070 ~ $390 + 20% = $480 ) does that sound accurate?)

PCI-E X16 will still be the standard, most boards now support 4.0.  Even the 1080Ti's dont even come close to saturating the port so waiting for 5.0 is a moot point.

I would expect it to be well over $500~ at the release.  

Based on the popularity of the 1070 card, it will still be a sellers market and they will still mark that up a bit until the next quarter.

Just now, Clint Beastwood said:

I would expect it to be well over $500~ at the release.  

Based on the popularity of the 1070 card, it will still be a sellers market and they will still mark that up a bit until the next quarter.

So a smart person would take that time to try to find a 1070ti instead for an appropriate price (Im assuming)

^Connor_K likes this

Considering PCI x16 is the realistic max and not sure why they wouldn't work on older machines. Not like they're making a new line of motherboards to only support these kind of cards. Nvidia pricing I have no idea what else they would change on the card. I just know they are using new memory. 

In terms of inflated prices yes its winning but if you took the base value of a 1070ti (449$) compared to the base value of the 1080 ($549) thats where I was compariing mostly. I would much rather wait then pay their jacked up prices 

Edited by Sugarfoot
^Connor_K likes this

In terms of inflated prices yes its winning but if you took the base value of a 1070ti (449$) compared to the base value of the 1080 ($599) thats where I was compariing mostly. I would much rather wait then pay their jacked up prices 

Base price of 1080 is $549 not $599, but i'm not sure the difference between the 2 cards is worth $100. 

Base price of 1080 is $549 not $599, but i'm not sure the difference between the 2 cards is worth $100. 

Yeah, one thing I just read was they announced last month that they are reducing the price of the 1080 to 499$. If they do that im sure theyll pump out a few more in production and I might be able to reserve two of the cards if im lucky. 

^Connor_K likes this
Just now, Jamal said:

There is a very high inflation of the price on gpu's due to the whole bitcoin mining thing buying a gpu now would be like throwing money into a fire wait a little bit till this shit dies down. On a side note how are the gains going @Sugarfoot.

My body fat is insanely low - I don't think I have been this shredded in my life. The wonders of a high paying job translating into quality food purchases.

- Sadly ill have to wait for the video cards it seems

Edited by Sugarfoot
^Connor_K likes this
Just now, Jamal said:

There is a very high inflation of the price on gpu's due to the whole bitcoin mining thing buying a gpu now would be like throwing money into a fire wait a little bit till this shit dies down. On a side note how are the gains going @Sugarfoot.

It's not just the mining... Although they do (they as in miners) buy up cards by the truckloads, ASIC miners make way more cash for the amount of electricity they use and it's what the some of the big guys will use. If you can pay 5K for a ASIC that gets 100 tera hashes for 1/4 of the eleticity of 5 RX 580s, that's what they'll go for. 

But, Amper or turing or what ever is to have GDDR6 in the 1180/70 cards (we think as samsung already is making it, and micron will be producing when the cards are to start shipping. Micron is Nvidia's historic supplyer). I would wait. If you can, please don't buy a 900 series card, you and poko will be better off waiting or biting the bullet on this one. 

Eddit: The prices are also caused by reduced manufacturing prossesses, which has caused a decrease in RAM, the same RAM that Apple and Samsung use in their phones. And they're willing to pay a whole lot more for it. Just the worst storm for people trying to buy. 

Edited by Twinkie