Contributors

It would be great if there could be any kind of communication between contributors and the community. Right now the only thing I know is @Gen. Henry Arnold has been releasing skins and... that's all.

Have the contributors been working on something? If so, has there been any progress? If not, what's the reason they haven't been able to release anything? Lack of time? Tools? Access?

I feel like it would be nice to get this kind of information on a regular basis. Maybe even a topic to keep in touch with them, post suggestions? I don't know, I'm just throwing some ideas here.

Edited by BlackShot
K A Z E M, Tiny Cox, Panda and 7 others like this
3 minutes ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Hello. 

Thank you for reaching out. I don't have much to comment here. I will poke the devs and see what can be done here. Deveoplemt roadmaps are a tricky subject here. I'll keep you posted as I am able to!

Instead of a roadmap i think he's curious to what have they done until now, that's something they should easily know and be able to share right :D 

BlackShot likes this
28 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Contributors don't get access to anything really. dont think they can  do much

You know? I've heard many things so far. Some say server access, others say contributors are just busy to put time on Asylum. If I'm not mistaken, they do have access to Github/mission but they do not have server access. Would be good to read some solid information about what's going on.

Although I somewhat understand the concerns of giving server access, I also think there are many creative ideas that could be implemented just by having client access. For example, restraining, accessing shops, editing the map, using sirens, adding house lighting etc. don't require server access. So really just having a way to communicate (community/contributors) would be a nice first step (if they're actually able to make any changes, because so far I'm lost. I have no clue what's going on!).

19 minutes ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Hello. 

Thank you for reaching out. I don't have much to comment here. I will poke the devs and see what can be done here. Deveoplemt roadmaps are a tricky subject here. I'll keep you posted as I am able to!

Thanks!

Edited by BlackShot
Mr. Linux likes this
20 minutes ago, Midamaru said:

Instead of a roadmap i think he's curious to what have they done until now, that's something they should easily know and be able to share right :D 

Yeah, that too. My point is the community argued a lot so we could have more contributors to give us more content. I remember @Mitch (IFRIT) saying he was trying to get something done about this, and he did. But we haven't seen much so far. So now we need to address a few things, I guess:

1. Are contributors getting access to anything at all?
  2. Have they been working on anything? If so, what? If not, why?
  3. Shouldn't we have maybe a topic to suggest and discuss ideas between community/contributors, if they're able to push some interesting changes?
Edited by BlackShot
Mr. Linux and Silver-Spy like this
35 minutes ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Hello. 

Step 1. Find problem

Step 2. Don't fix it, and say we did.

Dev roadmap done!

I don't get access to the Asylum git, I just dePBO the mission files as they come out.

@Scott I use MS Paint, get it right!

I've been working on a colored hex script, I have it working only for newly created groups using the cellphone, and will only use the leaders HUD color. Trying to get it to work per client, and move it to cops and gangs. The devs have seen this, and Gnashes even helped me with testing if it used his HUD settings.

Edited by Gen. Henry Arnold
BlackShot and Church like this

Unfortunately when I finally got contributor I got busy with work and other things outside of video games. So I have mostly been useless. I have been dedicating a little bit more of my time to gaming again here recently so I will probably start tinkering around with coding on arma again. I did make a rough draft of where individual charges could be removed. I think that was possibly being considered being added. Will need to talk with @bamf and @Gnashes about it again though. 

I did send @Gnashes code to add emergency lights to the prowler for cops about a month ago though haha. Don't know why they weren't added. 

Donald, Church, Patato and 2 others like this
2 hours ago, Mitch (IFRIT) said:

Hello. 

Don’t poke them, that’s just irritating. Give them a call. How would you feel if I poked you really hard with my finger constantly

1 hour ago, Azeh said:

0bc509a5012e46c7b9c675d746a06f44.png

That change wasn't "us admitting we're dying". That change is "Gnashes isn't a narcicist so let's put something that makes us not sound like pretentious jackasses"

7 hours ago, BlackShot said:

Yeah, that too. My point is the community argued a lot so we could have more contributors to give us more content. I remember @Mitch (IFRIT) saying he was trying to get something done about this, and he did. But we haven't seen much so far. So now we need to address a few things, I guess:

1. Are contributors getting access to anything at all?
  2. Have they been working on anything? If so, what? If not, why?
  3. Shouldn't we have maybe a topic to suggest and discuss ideas between community/contributors, if they're able to push some interesting changes?

+1 on your ideas.If contributors are not willing to devote some time on making changes ingame than whats the point of having them.I remember when Gnashes was a contributor and he would mainly be the only one pushing small updates every now and than.

Contributors should definitely respond to community suggestions and work on good suggestions if any or they should be given tasks by the devs to do something in general.Not to mention the only contributor doing anything right now is Gen Henry and thats pretty much it.

Edited by Silver-Spy
BlackShot likes this
12 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Don’t poke them, that’s just irritating. Give them a call. How would you feel if I poked you really hard with my finger constantly

This is what support deals with in discord just about 24/7 then poking us just beacuse they're bored

7 hours ago, Bikstok said:

The main one being that the devs don't really want our help/interference.

Aw man, really? The devs were never like that before, they were always looking forward to hear community feedback and have people contribute! They spent countless hours on the forums overviewing the suggestions board and reaching out to the community. What a shame.

8 hours ago, Bikstok said:

Personally, I haven't done anything of value. There is a long list of reasons why contributing to Asylum is particularly difficult. The main one being that the devs don't really want our help/interference.

Excuses...

8 hours ago, Bikstok said:

Personally, I haven't done anything of value. There is a long list of reasons why contributing to Asylum is particularly difficult. The main one being that the devs don't really want our help/interference.

Would you be able to share with us exactly what makes you think they don't want Contributors' help? Is it about giving access? Not pushing the changes you guys make?

23 hours ago, Bikstok said:

I can name a few thousand lines that need optimizing off of the top of my head.

param/params replacing bis_fnc_param

forEach loops replaced with apply, select, or findIf

while {true} loops replaced with EVHs

Every single string manipulation function being rewritten to use the engine commands that were released after they were written.

Those four things should keep you busy for a few weeks, at least.

15 hours ago, BlackShot said:

Would you be able to share with us exactly what makes you think they don't want Contributors' help? Is it about giving access? Not pushing the changes you guys make?

Last thing Bik made a merge request for was in February. Destrah didn't respond to Bamf asking for his email for a month or two, Henry can write code as well as Fearless can hide his hacks, and that random French kid Azeh found said about 3 words in as many months so I got rid of him.

On 5/18/2018 at 0:24 AM, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

I don't get access to the Asylum git, I just dePBO the mission files as they come out.

@Scott I use MS Paint, get it right!

I've been working on a colored hex script, I have it working only for newly created groups using the cellphone, and will only use the leaders HUD color. Trying to get it to work per client, and move it to cops and gangs. The devs have seen this, and Gnashes even helped me with testing if it used his HUD settings.

i thought it was paint.net you used?

BlackShot likes this