How Asylum Is Turning Into North Korea

Everyone knows Asylum is slowly dying it's no debate there. As a community and a fan base, our duty is to figure out why it is. This is coming from an Asylum player who has 1300 hours on Asylum and has played and done everything. I never was big into the forums but I decided that we need to have a voice against the developers and admins who are ruining their server. This topic is almost 100% going to get locked or deleted so I question myself why even write this but as a gamer who's had some of the best moments gaming and met some of the coolest friends playing this server, I feel it's my duty. 

Corruption: This server is ran by cops. This has been said for years now that rebel life is dead, and its true even on server #1 It doesn't require much to have all cartels and keep them capped. The rules for cops it seems were written by people who have never played civ in their life. Not really fair at all to let cops keep coming over and over again and then have them process you after you've killed them so many times they will do everything in their power to ignore RP and make you pay as much as they can make you. Cops should NOT be allowed to come back 4+ times until they finally down you. I've experienced lieutenants increasing your ticket for no valid reason. Nothing happens if you report because it's such a close knit community in the higher ups. Another thing is how easy it is for cops to make up an excuse as to why they checked an illegal zone in under 5 minutes. Talking to cops can feel so degrading sometimes and makes me think that they are power hungry people preying on all who they come across. It seems like the only way to get out of a ticket now is to just kiss ass. Another form of corruption is here on the forums where you can't even give the server criticism without having your thread locked. This will be a perfect example.

Developers Loss Of Interest: Developers are one of the biggest reasons as to why Asylum is rapidly dying. Their interest is probably into developing the standalone "Identity" game which is probably gonna be a flop due to long development time and lack of funding which is a topic for another time. Right now the server is ran by people who seem to have lost interest as well. They play cop 90% of the time and almost never throw admin events anymore. I remember the days where Asylum used to always have creative events being plugged in throughout the day on certain days and it would be a fun way to make money. Now it seems like it never happens. The most important thing Asylum needs are updates. Updates to the guidebook, the rules, and most importantly the servers. The servers haven't changed much for a few years now and when they are changed its things that don't help at all. Useless things like making red zones have a rotation.

Hope?: This is a hard question to answer. It might have gone too far, the developers might have completely lost interest. Arma 3 is still definitely a thriving community and other RP servers are doing extremely well when compared to Asylum. Not everything the dev team does is bad for example, the community goals is a good idea but I believe it was made with the wrong intention. The community goals aren't even updated regularly which is pretty sad and makes me think it was just another ploy to generate more money. In my personal opinion, I believe the one thing they can do to fix this is to be more active which would require that they regain interest in their community.

1 hour ago, TheCrestedPenguin said:

Whats your point? you give a shitty story > they don't believe you > you get ticketed. 

He actually requested a higher up, reason, "I want to be processed correctly" 

I came into the pill box, denied his request and assured him that our officers on duty were more then capable of processing him. 

I leave.

I was informed he started to nit pick about an attempted manslaughter charge when him and his group of 6 were hostile with the APD. So to make sure we didn't violate his rights as a civilian, I told the constable to remove the attempted charge and just give him a 50% increase. 

19 minutes ago, Roicesb said:

I came into the pill box, denied his request and assured him that our officers on duty were more then capable of processing him. 

I leave.

I was informed he started to nit pick about an attempted manslaughter charge when him and his group of 6 were hostile with the APD. So to make sure we didn't violate his rights as a civilian, I told the constable to remove the attempted charge and just give him a 50% increase. 

Ye go figure that he'd leave that part out, I already thought it was weird the video started mid-processing.

Roice and SharingWriter like this
6 hours ago, Keen12321 said:

Cops should NOT be allowed to come back 4+ times until they finally down you.

Try to not stay in the same area long enough for cops to come back 4 times, thats your fault.

6 hours ago, Keen12321 said:

Talking to cops can feel so degrading sometimes and makes me think that they are power hungry people preying on all who they come across. It seems like the only way to get out of a ticket now is to just kiss ass.

Cant argue with that.

DalBrow, Blake Kingsin and Lucky like this
7 hours ago, Keen12321 said:

Corruption: This server is ran by cops.

I've been saying recently that it won't be the devs / community / lack of REBEL updates that will kill the server, but it will be the APD. I feel they have become a bit too oppressive and quick to lethal / robo-cop. As much as I interact with the APD as a wanted civ, it's quiet as a funeral in the car ride to HQ, and then it's a constable reading off a copy-pasta on his 2nd monitor to deal with me. At the same time though, the best way to avoid having to wipe them 23 times over is to move, kill majority / all of them, move again. Cops will give up eventually.

Developers Loss Of Interest: Developers are one of the biggest reasons as to why Asylum is rapidly dying. Their interest is probably into developing the standalone "Identity" game which is probably gonna be a flop due to long development time and lack of funding which is a topic for another time.

As far as I'm aware, the developers here on Asylum (Bamf / Gnashes) have nothing to do with Identity. That is Paratus' baby. Also, I do not believe admins have access to changing the mission file for the server.

almost never throw admin events anymore. I remember the days where Asylum used to always have creative events being plugged in throughout the day on certain days and it would be a fun way to make money. Now it seems like it never happens. 

Hard to throw an event when it almost guarantees the server will crash. I remember the days of clean admin events, but now when I see one get popped, I hesitate because it means the server will likely go down. Perhaps you need to take a look at this thread though

Blake Kingsin and Walt like this
6 hours ago, TheCrestedPenguin said:

Whats your point? you give a shitty story > they don't believe you > you get ticketed. 

I got an increase for no reason, and I understand that wasn't my best story, but I was so mad because they kept coming back to the cocaine field like 5 minutes later. we would kill them leave to wait for them to check see we left and then we would good back in just to get sirened 2 minutes later 

Edited by DalBrow
added more
Blake Kingsin likes this
1 minute ago, DalBrow said:

i got an increase for no reason 

5 hours ago, Roicesb said:

I leave.

Edited by Maaqs
4 hours ago, K A Z E M said:

That was a bad rrrrrrppppp you should just say that was self defense easy rp :Kappa 

I understand it wasn't my best RP I had I was so mad at how unfair they were being I wasn't in the mood to RP I wish I had the whole thing recorded. I upset I got an increase for no reason 

Cops do not care anymore about the RP or the fights involved they swoop in seize something and leave to secure it back at HQ and then come back to fight repeatedly. They swoop down from a heli and place a spike strip in front of you car which is insane how this is allowed and then they increase your tickets by 50% for trying to understand or just for RP-ing . You can kill all the cops you want when they come back 4+ times they are eventually going to hit a shot on you. 

Edited by BananaGoatPC
DalBrow likes this

People like you do not understand the difference between criticism and a personal-attck. That's why most of these "suggestions and feedback" threads get locked or hidden. Your understanding on the state of development is so far from the truth it invalidates everything you have to say. Instead of just another thread about the the problems with Asylum, make a thread with solutions included; solutions that are feasible to be implemented.

Edited by Maric
Maaqs likes this

Hello Keen12321 and the many others to comment here.

I would first like to thank you for making your post. Knowing that there are people here who do truly care is inspirational and refreshing. I understand your concerns that you have stated here. I'd like to dive into them a bit to clear up any confusion and answer some questions. 

Everyone knows Asylum is slowly dying it's no debate there. As a community and a fan base, our duty is to figure out why it is. This is coming from an Asylum player who has 1300 hours on Asylum and has played and done everything. I never was big into the forums but I decided that we need to have a voice against the developers and admins who are ruining their server. This topic is almost 100% going to get locked or deleted so I question myself why even write this but as a gamer who's had some of the best moments gaming and met some of the coolest friends playing this server, I feel it's my duty.

I once looked at the graveyard and found post dating back into 2015 often stated asylum was dying. I'm sure everyone thought that was the truth and were convinced that we would not see 2016. Well I hate to dance and call myself Einstein, but here we are. I can assure you no admin wishes to ruin the server. When I ran the numbers, I found that admins have dedicated more time than i had previously thought. Doing a quick search I found the following. 21,453 player reports have been done. Each report takes about 7 minutes to complete from start to finish. Doing the math, that equals to 150,171 hours have been spent on these. That's a lot of dedicated time towards the community we are "trying to kill". Sadly, the time sync does not end there. Looking at the compensation request, I found there have been 12,331 request, totaling roughly 86,000 hours spent there. Again, that's a major time sync for the server the admins are trying to kill. I ask that you reflect on that, as i will be too while i drink down my morning cup of coffee. P.s that's a combined 236,488 hours, 9,853 days,and 26 years of work. That's just pure insanity that work has been done all by volunteers. With this point i have made, I ask that you rescind your comment that the admins are killing the server. All admins have given a lot, and as a fellow gamer, I'd hate for your words to make that worth nothing. 

Corruption: This server is ran by cops. This has been said for years now that rebel life is dead, and its true even on server #1 It doesn't require much to have all cartels and keep them capped. The rules for cops it seems were written by people who have never played civ in their life. Not really fair at all to let cops keep coming over and over again and then have them process you after you've killed them so many times they will do everything in their power to ignore RP and make you pay as much as they can make you. Cops should NOT be allowed to come back 4+ times until they finally down you. I've experienced lieutenants increasing your ticket for no valid reason. Nothing happens if you report because it's such a close knit community in the higher ups. Another thing is how easy it is for cops to make up an excuse as to why they checked an illegal zone in under 5 minutes. Talking to cops can feel so degrading sometimes and makes me think that they are power hungry people preying on all who they come across. It seems like the only way to get out of a ticket now is to just kiss ass. Another form of corruption is here on the forums where you can't even give the server criticism without having your thread locked. This will be a perfect example.

I'd like to start by saying "F the APD".... ;)

Back to the point. 

Asylum has always been a "Cops vs Robbers" type of deal. I will admit that at one time, it was not as noticeable because the rebels were kept busy, and had less interactions with the APD. The very statements you made about the guidebook are false in nature, but I won't blame you for making them. I will also say that the rules are not always geared towards small group of rebels. But shall not let that fool you, or anyone else. I have seen a group of 4 rebels (Farmersville) absolutely dominate the APD, and equally so, I have seen large groups of rebels loose the the APD. I could feed you a line where I say "Record and Report" but I think you are already well aware due to your statements about the report corruption. Speaking of Officer reports, lets take a look. (Insert law and order music here). 

• 2,510 Officer reports for Sgt and below. When I searched "Action taken" in this section. I found 2,499 reports. From here, you can see the corruption here is at a all time high.....
  • 150 Lt reports have been made. I found that a search had returned 143 results. Another stunning example of corruption. 
  • 25 Captain reports have been made. Action has been taken 39 times. 

Bear in mind, that Action taken could be said in a single report multiple times. I just wanted to reference this for a perspective. 

With my ability to see all reports, I can assure you that no blatant favoritism is there. I'm sure the CoP could add some here @Clint Beastwood  

Developers Loss Of Interest: Developers are one of the biggest reasons as to why Asylum is rapidly dying. Their interest is probably into developing the standalone "Identity" game which is probably gonna be a flop due to long development time and lack of funding which is a topic for another time. Right now the server is ran by people who seem to have lost interest as well. They play cop 90% of the time and almost never throw admin events anymore. I remember the days where Asylum used to always have creative events being plugged in throughout the day on certain days and it would be a fun way to make money. Now it seems like it never happens. The most important thing Asylum needs are updates. Updates to the guidebook, the rules, and most importantly the servers. The servers haven't changed much for a few years now and when they are changed its things that don't help at all. Useless things like making red zones have a rotation.

I wish there was a effective way to tell people that our main developers have absolutely nothing to do with Identity. @bamf and @Gnashes responsibility is here on the Arma side of things. @Paratus and @Motown are on the Identity side of things, and do not develop for Arma anymore.   I am rather confused where you gain the insight that they only play cop. That is just where you might hear their voice and see their tagged name. Let me rock your world for a second. That guy stealing your car is probably @Gnashes and the guy making you run around the Cocaine pit could be @bamf "CoCo hobo grab". I can't say with certainty that they have lost interest.... But take a look and see what game in your steam library that you have played for 5,000+ hours, and ask yourself if you still jump for joy every morning. 

As it is now, I have not seen any proposals made from you in regards to rule changes. I am more than willing to hear your concerns and ideas and presenting to the team. I like the saying here "If its not broke, don't fix it". 

Furthermore, I too love events. We had a great admin who made some really fun ones and made a extreme habit of running them as often as he could. Since he retired from the position, there has been a dry spell. @Deazy Johnson and @Reapered work to fill the gap there. It just might be that you're not on at the same time as they are. Events are out there, I can see them.

Hope?: This is a hard question to answer. It might have gone too far, the developers might have completely lost interest. Arma 3 is still definitely a thriving community and other RP servers are doing extremely well when compared to Asylum. Not everything the dev team does is bad for example, the community goals is a good idea but I believe it was made with the wrong intention. The community goals aren't even updated regularly which is pretty sad and makes me think it was just another ploy to generate more money. In my personal opinion, I believe the one thing they can do to fix this is to be more active which would require that they regain interest in their community.

I would say that your comments about it being a money grab here are way off basis. The company that owns and runs Arma 3 @Bohemia Interactive have some very strict rules in regards to the way in which we are able to generate income. Every resource you use here costs real life money. We need to pay the bills to keep the servers here for you to use. If you have any ideas on how this can be accomplished while abiding by the rules, please refer to me. 

I believe the one thing they can do to fix this is to be more active which would require that they regain interest in their community.

They appointed me into this position so that I could be that link between you, and the devs. I double checked my PM's on the forums and discord and didn't see anything from you. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something that you may have sent. I am always available, but be warned that I get a lot, and I mean a lot of messages between here and discord. I do sometime miss them... My apologies. 

In closing I'd like to state the following,

I personally appreciate the time you have spent here on asylum, that's a lot of hours! I have personally spent just above 5k hours here. I shaved it down to account for the times i have left the Arma launcher open. I appreciate your desire for us to thrive. However, I find that you theory on the wellbeing of Arma to be misplaced. Arma is a game that has been out for a long time, and has seen a decrease in the playerbase. We have been hit hard by this, but we are not down yet. It's truly sad that the Arma game developers have abandoned the development for it. I feel that they missed the mark here, but my hands are tied just like yours. I plan to be here until the lights shut off, and I get a 404. I'f you would like to talk further, find me. I just might be the one turning you into a milkshake on the server. 

With empathy,

Mitch 

Keen12321, Jake, Roice and 12 others like this
8 hours ago, Keen12321 said:

Arma 3 has been out for almost 5 years, 5 years if you count the alpha.  5 years for any game to still have a relevant community base is pretty good overall.  

Also if you search all of the RP servers across the world, you will see that we are still one of the highest populated servers.  (based on Battlemetrics)

Being an Admin myself, I'm not quite understanding why you choose to voice against development and the administration team.  I would think that is counter productive to what you are trying to accomplish.

8 hours ago, Keen12321 said:

This whole statement shows how little you understand the workings of our server and its community.  

Gangs do not care to hold Cartels anymore, this may have been the case back before 6.0 and even several patches after that, but when the culture of cartel fights changed so did the view of holding cartels.  Gangs themselves just started buying money in bulk to log on and fight cartels and that was it.  Of course you had your bank and maybe a federal reserve, but that's it.  The gang culture changed, it became a CS:GO match rather than an actual lifestyle.  Older players can tell you it was a big deal to hold all the cartels 24/7.  You wanted your name on the map to draw in better players to join you.  You wanted the income to keep filling your account and you would fly to protect the cartels around the clock.  As the culture changed - it no longer required you to hold cartels anymore.  We can revert all the changes to the cartel system and it still won't bring back the care to hold cartels.  

The APD is technically the largest gang, of course it is going to run the server.  Its the only force that interacts with the community and forces RP (to an extent).  You're going to have good and bad interactions, just like in real-life.  Not all cops you are going to interact with are going to be good cops.  If cops are returning 4+ times to your location, guess what?  It's time to get the fuck out of the area!  At some point you have to run.  As for the bad cops - we have checks and balances in place to keep all ranks in order.  A lot of our community can vouch that we weed out bad cops pretty easily.  I bet if I look through recent Internal Affairs I won't see more than one report from you...  We can't help you if you don't help yourself.

Your assumptions about cops never playing civ is terribly incorrect.  A lot of the Sergeant+ you see today had 4k+ hours of civ before they were given promotions. 

Your thread hasn't been locked yet.  There have been thousands of posts similar to this one and the main reason we lock it is because the OP gets terribly flamed by everyone that we feel inclined to save them.

However you did say the admin team is against you - Best of luck.

Jake, Maaqs, Deazy Johnson and 12 others like this
7 minutes ago, Clint Beastwood said:

Gangs do not care to hold Cartels anymore, this may have been the case back before 6.0 and even several patches after that, but when the culture of cartel fights changed so did the view of holding cartels.  Gangs themselves just started buying money in bulk to log on and fight cartels and that was it.  Of course you had your bank and maybe a federal reserve, but that's it.  The gang culture changed, it became a CS:GO match rather than an actual lifestyle.  Older players can tell you it was a big deal to hold all the cartels 24/7.  You wanted your name on the map to draw in better players to join you.  You wanted the income to keep filling your account and you would fly to protect the cartels around the clock.  As the culture changed - it no longer required you to hold cartels anymore.  We can revert all the changes to the cartel system and it still won't bring back the care to hold cartels.  

How I wish that never changed. If gang A is on more often, holds the cartels all day long, Gang B is more likely to logon their server by chance and come take one of their cartels. But gangs no longer fight for the cap, they fight for the fight and sometimes more then anything montage clips so they can get forum likes and boost their fucking ego. Why did this happen? What on earth caused this change?

1 hour ago, Clint Beastwood said:

If cops are returning 4+ times to your location, guess what?  It's time to get the fuck out of the area!  At some point you have to run. 

I get this of course you have to run at some point but when an orca is in the air and continues to follow you then swoop down and spike strip you how are you supposed to avoid that. Its not that the server is terrible its that some people get satisfaction over ruining the game for someone else, Im not saying that getting caught by the cops is the issue im saying that when the policies they use and the tactics they use are beyond any avoidance it becomes irritating. 

Edited by BananaGoatPC
3 minutes ago, BananaGoatPC said:

I get this of course you have to run at some point but when an orca is in the air and continues to follow you then swoop down and spike strip you how are you supposed to avoid that.

Move the fuck out of the way or kill the pilot

Just now, Steve said:

Move the fuck out of the way or kill the pilot

Not so easy when your in a hemmit or box truck. Its the fact that this is even allowed. Or how police can swoop down in an orca or hunter seize something in your car leave and seize it back at hq then come back 5+ times to fight you even though you no longer have anything. Yesterday I had 2 police come down in an orca while i  was parked i ran to get cover they seized everything in side my car and flew away.

Just now, BananaGoatPC said:

Not so easy when your in a hemmit or box truck. Its the fact that this is even allowed. Or how police can swoop down in an orca or hunter seize something in your car leave and seize it back at hq then come back 5+ times to fight you even though you no longer have anything. Yesterday I had 2 police come down in an orca while i  was parked i ran to get cover they seized everything in side my car and flew away.

I rarely have issues with fighting off cops. I don't mean this as an insult but perhaps it's the people you play with.

Just now, Steve said:

I rarely have issues with fighting off cops. I don't mean this as an insult but perhaps it's the people you play with.

its not that we cant fight them off we win 5 waves of cops and of course sometimes we lose but its that we cant leave, we get in our cars and boom theres an orca whos spike striping us or that they keep coming back regardless using the same excuses that they got 7 new pings.

@Mitch (IFRIT) @Clint Beastwood I want to thank you for your responses they were thought out and opened my eyes quite a lot about the back workings of the server. I posted this and these assumptions because I don't really know the back workings and I can't find someone who does. This was not meant for pure criticism I was writing this from a consumer perspective. Arma 3 is by no way gonna die I was only worried about Asylum because already my main server (server 2) is down and there is talk that server 3 will be too. Thank you for showing that you care.

Edited by Keen12321