Change log 8.1.7

bamf

29 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I'll call it right now. If the rebel tree comes out this week and is filled with content we mostly haven't seen from other trees (Cop tree, Bounty Hunter tree) I will personally donate 200 dollars to the donation goals this month.

$200 to developers that have continually told us "soon / be patient / it's coming..." and changed shit without posting it anywhere, given us 2-3 month long dryspells of no content / patches, aren't replying on the forums (it's been all Poseidon). Why reward such behavior?

That's a yikes from me.

Edited by Maaqs
Innate, BSuzinator, sakha and 6 others like this
1 hour ago, Maaqs said:

$200 to developers that have continually told us "soon / be patient / it's coming..." and changed shit without posting it anywhere, given us 2-3 month long dryspells of no content / patches, aren't replying on the forums (it's been all Poseidon). Why reward such behavior?

That's a yikes from me.

If we see real progress being made to help fix the problems that are going on in our server, and the devs communicate to us I am more then happy to throw down money besides 200 is that much anyways.

Fried Rice likes this
7 hours ago, Jamal said:

If we see real progress being made to help fix the problems that are going on in our server, and the devs communicate to us I am more then happy to throw down money besides 200 is that much anyways.

Except the devs are able to hit tier 4 for 2 straight months (granted 1 month was for Poseidon) without actually doing anything. Don't think your 200 extra dollars is going to change months-long (or even a year+ at this point) of behavior of shitting on this community.

At this point, these 2 devs could be in the running for "Developers of the Year" right behind Paratus / Identity and the entire 5year alpha of DayZ.

13 minutes ago, Maaqs said:

Except the devs are able to hit tier 4 for 2 straight months (granted 1 month was for Poseidon) without actually doing anything. Don't think your 200 extra dollars is going to change months-long (or even a year+ at this point) of behavior of shitting on this community.

At this point, these 2 devs could be in the running for "Developers of the Year" right behind Paratus / Identity and the entire 5year alpha of DayZ.

Except Paratus has put more effort into hiring a competent team, has shown on stream and pictures of the work done and is constantly speaking to the community.

People shit on him for leaving Asylum, but who can blame him honestly? Bohemia fucked all of the servers over excluding the mil sim groups and made it where you essentially can't get any donations without approval from them. Another life server is in the same boat, but with a popular addon and the developers are refusing them to use it and essentially fucking that server over.

tl;dr - Not Paratus's fault, the blame lays on Bohemia and the current developers.

No, if someone is getting something back for donating, it is no longer a donation but a sale

8 hours ago, Azeh said:

But Identity is a waste of time. It's gonna be shit. 

The monetization rules obviously made an impact on a lot of servers, but if Identity wasn't a thing then it wouldn't have mattered for Asylum. Paratus probably made enough money to host these servers for longer than a decade, even if he stopped accepting donations 2 years ago. 

"and made it where you essentially can't get any donations without approval from them."
This doesn't really matter. BI hands out monetization approvals like it's candy. You just have to follow the monetization rules or you'll get told to change whatever thing is breaking the rules, or have the approval revoked.

"Another life server is in the same boat, but with a popular addon and the developers are refusing them to use it and essentially fucking that server over."
PsiSyn and TFAR? If that's what you're on about, they stole mods left and right which either: don't allow monetization OR they haven't been given permission from the mod author(s) to use. For that reason, the TFAR developer had no interest in giving them permission to use TFAR seeing as they broke the monetization rules multiple times. 

"But Identity is a waste of time. It's gonna be shit. "

Whether its going to be shit or a waste of time does not matter. He put more effort into Identity than Bamf and Gnashes did in Asylum. Even the developers at Olympus did. The funny thing is - Paratus was going to originally make Identity as an Arma 3 custom modded server, but given how shit the game engine was at the time and still is, he left the Arma scene and gets shit on from people for doing so.

"This doesn't really matter. BI hands out monetization approvals like it's candy. You just have to follow the monetization rules or you'll get told to change whatever thing is breaking the rules, or have the approval revoked."

That's why Asylum can't lock sports hatchbacks behind a donation level, and never will be able to. Sports Hatchbacks where arguably one of the things people donated for. Now, there is no need to donate more than $25.

"PsiSyn and TFAR?"

Yes, used as an example. And remember Asylum broke the monetization guidelines and rules also.

Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz likes this
9 hours ago, Azeh said:

But Identity is a waste of time. It's gonna be shit. 

The monetization rules obviously made an impact on a lot of servers, but if Identity wasn't a thing then it wouldn't have mattered for Asylum. Paratus probably made enough money to host these servers for longer than a decade, even if he stopped accepting donations 2 years ago. 

"and made it where you essentially can't get any donations without approval from them."
This doesn't really matter. BI hands out monetization approvals like it's candy. You just have to follow the monetization rules or you'll get told to change whatever thing is breaking the rules, or have the approval revoked.

"Another life server is in the same boat, but with a popular addon and the developers are refusing them to use it and essentially fucking that server over."
PsiSyn and TFAR? If that's what you're on about, they stole mods left and right which either: don't allow monetization OR they haven't been given permission from the mod author(s) to use. For that reason, the TFAR developer had no interest in giving them permission to use TFAR seeing as they broke the monetization rules multiple times. 

To be fair, Paratus has to earn a living and since BI took that away from him through their draconian monetization rules, he had no choice but to make identity. No adult with a family to think about is going to commit valuable time and effort just to earn pennies on the dollar. Just look at Poseidon, he started Olympus as a teen and now that he’s out in the real world, he’s looking for a good job and sold off Olympus. These servers are good for college kids and younger to toy with in their spare time, not working adults.

Mank likes this
56 minutes ago, Azeh said:

"Whether its going to be shit or a waste of time does not matter. He put more effort into Identity than Bamf and Gnashes did in Asylum. Even the developers at Olympus did. The funny thing is - Paratus was going to originally make Identity as an Arma 3 custom modded server, but given how shit the game engine was at the time and still is, he left the Arma scene and gets shit on from people for doing so."
Of course he's putting in more effort into Identity than anyone puts into an Arma server. It's his job, whereas running/developing an Arma server is typically a hobby that could be a job depending on its popularity (which I believe it was in Paratus' case), but regardless - a game in development is much more demanding in every way. It's more future proof and it'll bring in a lot more revenue if done right.

"That's why Asylum can't lock sports hatchbacks behind a donation level, and never will be able to. Sports Hatchbacks where arguably one of the things people donated for. Now, there is no need to donate more than $25."
I'm aware. But is this a problem for a server the size of Asylum or Olympus? There's other ways to make people donate, such as community goals. Keep your players happy to a certain degree and the donations will come in. 

"Yes, used as an example. And remember Asylum broke the monetization guidelines and rules also."
The case of PsiSyn is just an issue of them stealing mods. Doesn't have much to do with monetization. That said, they've opened up their "store" a few times which I believe broke the monetization rules at some point. TFAR has nothing to do with this though.
Many servers have broke the monetization rules at some point. GTA did it just a couple of months ago. I can't remember what specifically caused Asylum to get their BattlEye disabled the times it has happened, but one of the times it was because of code that was commented out (meaning BattlEye shouldn't have been disabled).

He didn't have to create Identity. Looking at this LinkedIn, he was a game programmer until he could start making a living off Asylum. He didn't have to make his own company and game, but I think everyone understands why he did it as it has the potential to be a lot more rewarding than a 'normal job'. I don't know much about @HereToStealYourIdeas and @Jesse's families, but to my knowledge they both have a job. McDili recently stated that he has never spent any of the donation money on anything but Olympus, and Jesse doesn't get any money from developing for Olympus. That makes Olympus a hobby for them.

Well mcdili owns the server and donations cover expenses but he isn’t a developer so he doesn’t have that added pressure. I don’t know what Jesse does for a living or even how old he is but again, he’s just responsible for getting some dev work done along with others for fun.

For Paratus it was ownership plus full time developer work and I believe he’s in his 30s with a family so of course he’s going to pursue a more lucrative venture of creating his own game rather than be beholden to an awful company like Bohemia, you can’t fault him for that. 

People give gnashes shit but he’s not obligated to do anything for Asylum either and others are free to step up and take his place. However all I see is a bunch of complaining and nobody doing the hard work. Server policy and the lack of implementation of what players want falls squarely on bamf so that’s where everyone’s ire should be directed at. He could decide to put in Alecs prison if he wanted but he didn’t so I don’t get why people blame gnashes.

Sikorsky and Mank like this
1 hour ago, Azeh said:

I'm not faulting him for that. My point is that finding a job and working on Asylum in his spare time was an option, just like he did prior to quitting his job for Asylum. Would that result in less updates? Yeah, but he'd still be here. But like I more or less said, Identity is the better option for him, just the worse option for us - and we're not entitled to have him here.

Ignorance and lack of communication is why people give Gnashes shit. I have my own assumptions and other people have theirs, however "Gnashes doesn't know how to code" isn't true. As for other people coming through, it's not as simple as stepping up to take his place. Gnashes is probably Bamf's closest friend by far in this community and I don't think anyone else would get the access Gnashes has. That doesn't make it impossible for anyone else to be useful, but it limits it a bit. There's also a difference in how Asylum brings in developers versus Asylum (think of Olympus' junior developer positions). Something Jesse said made me go 'woah' - in response to a suggestion he said "I mean there's so much shit asked for, our backlog is huge". At Asylum however, well, we have a backlog of "never happening" suggestions. 
I personally complain to Bamf a good amount, but sometimes it's difficult to get a response from him. Depends on the topic and how I phrase it.   
Here's my latest semi-aggressive complaint :)

1edaed7fac27fa9d07b71324b0140c9c.png

Makes me kind of wonder if we all should just transfer over to Olympus

Edited by Jamal
35 minutes ago, Mason Statham said:

I mean Olympus is much better then asylum right now without a doubt. Only reason most people haven't switch over is coz they don't wanna start new.

Imo... Olympus is worse about RP then asylum is.  Ever tried rp with a cop over there? At least here MOST of the cops wanna rp and lower tickets. From what i have noticed they just have more rules on what you can and can not do.

6 hours ago, Azeh said:

"Whether its going to be shit or a waste of time does not matter. He put more effort into Identity than Bamf and Gnashes did in Asylum. Even the developers at Olympus did. The funny thing is - Paratus was going to originally make Identity as an Arma 3 custom modded server, but given how shit the game engine was at the time and still is, he left the Arma scene and gets shit on from people for doing so."
Of course he's putting in more effort into Identity than anyone puts into an Arma server. It's his job, whereas running/developing an Arma server is typically a hobby that could be a job depending on its popularity (which I believe it was in Paratus' case), but regardless - a game in development is much more demanding in every way. It's more future proof and it'll bring in a lot more revenue if done right.

"That's why Asylum can't lock sports hatchbacks behind a donation level, and never will be able to. Sports Hatchbacks where arguably one of the things people donated for. Now, there is no need to donate more than $25."
I'm aware. But is this a problem for a server the size of Asylum or Olympus? There's other ways to make people donate, such as community goals. Keep your players happy to a certain degree and the donations will come in. 

"Yes, used as an example. And remember Asylum broke the monetization guidelines and rules also."
The case of PsiSyn is just an issue of them stealing mods. Doesn't have much to do with monetization. That said, they've opened up their "store" a few times which I believe broke the monetization rules at some point. TFAR has nothing to do with this though.
Many servers have broke the monetization rules at some point. GTA did it just a couple of months ago. I can't remember what specifically caused Asylum to get their BattlEye disabled the times it has happened, but one of the times it was because of code that was commented out (meaning BattlEye shouldn't have been disabled).

He didn't have to create Identity. Looking at this LinkedIn, he was a game programmer until he could start making a living off Asylum. He didn't have to make his own company and game, but I think everyone understands why he did it as it has the potential to be a lot more rewarding than a 'normal job'. I don't know much about @HereToStealYourIdeas and @Jesse's families, but to my knowledge they both have a job. McDili recently stated that he has never spent any of the donation money on anything but Olympus, and Jesse doesn't get any money from developing for Olympus. That makes Olympus a hobby for them.

"He didn't have to create Identity. Looking at this LinkedIn, he was a game programmer until he could start making a living off Asylum. He didn't have to make his own company and game, but I think everyone understands why he did it as it has the potential to be a lot more rewarding than a 'normal job'. I don't know much about @HereToStealYourIdeas and @Jesse's families, but to my knowledge they both have a job. McDili recently stated that he has never spent any of the donation money on anything but Olympus, and Jesse doesn't get any money from developing for Olympus. That makes Olympus a hobby for them."

You won't make a living off of Arma 3 servers anymore lol, so if he wanted to continue to be a game developer he could of joined a company or started his own. Back in the day (probably before you even joined), the life servers where making a lot of money because Bohemia just didn't care at the time. So instead of dealing with getting permission from Bohemia and using their utterly useless game engine (how many years did it take of people bitching to get x64?) he went his own route to make a living for him and his family. It's crazy to see how many people blame him for the server's condition once he left. Bamf had gnashes (an accountant if I remember correctly with little knowledge of programming) to help out, and look where the server is. If I seriously had a $1 for everytime gnashes came into a senior support channel asking so and so if they found the "easter eggs" that he left inside some of the programming, I would be able to donate half of the monthly server cost. But, again, people are quick to blame Paratus.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, cHIP ōTLE said:

These battleye kicks are becoming QUITE the nuisance.  @bamf @Poseidon, were these issues looked into at all while working on the latest update??

i now have a complete fresh Windows install, which means, fresh ArmA install.  and the FIRST time i logged into asylum, i was Battleyed within an hour.  (again, this has NEVER happened to me before this past few weeks.)

I've reinstalled battleye again and i'm still having problems...

PLEASE, looks into this, if you haven't already.  It HAS to be a result of something thats been changed/tweaked recently.

4 hours ago, Mason Statham said:

I mean Olympus is much better then asylum right now without a doubt. Only reason most people haven't switch over is coz they don't wanna start new.

There's other reasons, at least for my self. There's no defibs on there, epi pens don't cut it for me. Cops have ghosthawks that have ammo, while civs have titans to counter them. I believe both of those are just unnecessary. There's a few other things keeping me from playing Olympus but I assure you it's not that I would have to start over.

Patato, tommy77771, Mank and 7 others like this
2 hours ago, Steve said:

There's other reasons, at least for my self. There's no defibs on there, epi pens don't cut it for me. Cops have ghosthawks that have ammo, while civs have titans to counter them. I believe both of those are just unnecessary. There's a few other things keeping me from playing Olympus but I assure you it's not that I would have to start over.

Only higer up can pull ghosts hawk and not every one carry’s a titan and that’s why they insurance.

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Ghosthawks aren’t pulled much there and are discouraged from just being used unnecessarily plus they’re Sgt+ only. But civs can also get them at blackwater plus a lot more. Defibs aren’t really a necessity either as medics actually do their job there because they’re whitelisted. For cartels, search & rescue can drop dope crates which I do often when I’m playing medic over there. 

The hardest thing for me to adjust to when I first started playing over there was the 15 min NLR since I was used to going right back to the fight on Asylum. But even NLR has its pros as it lets you steal people’s stuff after you wipe them and their friends without worry of them coming back instantly. Plus as I said, if you’re not watching their bodies, a whitelisted medic will roll in quietly and revive them (I do this a lot and it’s pretty hilarious). 

As of now, Olympus is much better run than Asylum and personally I have more fun there. One downside is the median age seems to be lower there so you get a lot of edgy kids there.

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz
Russell*, Maaqs, Mank and 3 others like this
6 hours ago, Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz said:

Ghosthawks aren’t pulled much there and are discouraged from just being used unnecessarily plus they’re Sgt+ only. But civs can also get them at blackwater plus a lot more. Defibs aren’t really a necessity either as medics actually do their job there because they’re whitelisted. For cartels, search & rescue can drop dope crates which I do often when I’m playing medic over there. 

The hardest thing for me to adjust to when I first started playing over there was the 15 min NLR since I was used to going right back to the fight on Asylum. But even NLR has its pros as it lets you steal people’s stuff after you wipe them and their friends without worry of them coming back instantly. Plus as I said, if you’re not watching their bodies, a whitelisted medic will roll in quietly and revive them (I do this a lot and it’s pretty hilarious). 

As of now, Olympus is much better run than Asylum and personally I have more fun there. One downside is the median age seems to be lower there so you get a lot of edgy kids there.

they let cheaters run rampant on their servers

no ty

Patato, massi and Buck like this
1 hour ago, TryHardSqueaker said:

My point was asylum admins are too ban happy I dont really care about his ban. Cant be good on asylum unless youve been here 5 years or your a cheater

I'm sorry but who are we talking about? 

Tiger ddoser confirmed and potentially cheated. Ban was probably put in place a little too quickly but in the end turned out he was indeed a douchebag

jwilly 100% cheated and ddoser confirmed

connor mcgregor 100% cheated, has 3 global banned accounts but yea hes innocent i guess

who the fuck u talkin about 

Clint Beastwood likes this
18 minutes ago, Reapered said:

Tiger ddoser confirmed and potentially cheated. Ban was probably put in place a little too quickly but in the end turned out he was indeed a douchebag

connor mcgregor 100% cheated, has 3 global banned accounts but yea hes innocent i guess

Yes cuz they are the only ones on aslyum that got permed

14 minutes ago, Reapered said:

Like I said, I was never talking about one person. But William was banned for a year over 1 fishy clip. And UC was banned and interrogated by the admin team when Clint called out one clip in his montage. I just feel like the admin team has a certain bias towards players that fight cartels. Obviously you were apart of gang life before you got admin so you should understand how even one ban can effect a gang and in turn gang life. Shits dead now though so no point in arguing over what could have been.

uc. likes this
30 minutes ago, Reapered said:

You can start to unban aleec and the population will grow tbh

Good Lub, Mank, Buck and 5 others like this
8 minutes ago, TryHardSqueaker said:

Like I said, I was never talking about one person. But William was banned for a year over 1 fishy clip. And UC was banned and interrogated by the admin team when Clint called out one clip in his montage. I just feel like the admin team has a certain bias towards players that fight cartels. Obviously you were apart of gang life before you got admin so you should understand how even one ban can effect a gang and in turn gang life. Shits dead now though so no point in arguing over what could have been.

im sorry but the logic in this thread is blowing up my brain

you say we shouldnt ban people who do stupid shit just because gang life is dying? If the playerbase figured that the admins cant touch gang members because their gang would quit then all hell would break loose, nobody would give a fuck anymore. (i mean not saying that nobody cares now) And fyi not all admins agree on certain bans or other shit. You are crying about uc getting shit from clint but is uc banned? No

and that shit you said about admins having bias towards gangs that fight cartels, they only have bias towards gangs that continue to be shitty no matter how many times you ban them. 

you keep saying admins perm banning retards is killing the server but the only person that can be used in your argument is aleec. Cant think of anybody else that was permed that would "help" gang life.

Also UC quit talkin bud your past history with gangs isn't so bright

accusing fsa of using ifrit skin hacks 

dont talk ty