Workouts and Diets

Tyler

Looking to get back in the same shape i was in during HS Football before my metabolism made it impossible to eat whatever the hell i wanted and still not gain any weight. Unfortunately i don't have a gym membership at this time but i'm probably going to look into getting one here soon. If you have any work out suggestions or diets to help build up cardio and a bit of muscle (not trying to bulk) it'd be much appreciated. Trying to get into shape before i start applying to the local PDs.

Also if you have any recommendations on some good running shoes below $150 let me know! :D

Edited by Tyler
1 minute ago, Jake said:

Running Shoes: Asics

Supplements: I personally like Advocare and I have tried several

Meals: Eggs, eggs, eggs, eggs, veggies, eggs, chicken, rice, eggs

Liquids: water and more water

We can always talk more about what I do if you would want, you know where to find me :P

I agree with Asics. They're soooo comfy too. & yes to all of these.

Edited by Rosie
Tyler likes this
29 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Looking to get back in the same shape i was in during HS Football before my metabolism made it impossible to eat whatever the hell i wanted and still not gain any weight. Unfortunately i don't have a gym membership at this time but i'm probably going to look into getting one here soon. If you have any work out suggestions or diets to help build up cardio and a bit of muscle (not trying to bulk) it'd be much appreciated. Trying to get into shape before i start applying to the local PDs.

Also if you have any recommendations on some good running shoes below $150 let me know! :D

I wear Saucony Omni 16's when I run. Paid about 110, super comfortable. Totally worth imo.

9 minutes ago, Jake said:

Running Shoes: Asics

Supplements: I personally like Advocare and I have tried several

Meals: Eggs, eggs, eggs, eggs, veggies, eggs, chicken, rice, eggs

Liquids: water and more water

We can always talk more about what I do if you would want, you know where to find me :P

I might go to Dick's Sporting Goods and grab a pair, super nice looking pair for like $90. Maybe i can snag some supplements there too.

Edited by Tyler
10 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I might go to Dick's Sporting Goods and grab a pair, super nice looking pair for like $90. Maybe i can snag some supplements there too.

As much flak as Asics get for “not being Nike” I think they are better all around for running, but my everyday shoes to wear (not working out) are of course, Nike.... I suggest buying a water bottle, before long you’ll drink from it constantly before even realizing you are drinking water, means you stay hydrated and eat less

Papa Austin, Twinkie and Tyler like this
8 minutes ago, Steve said:

While I can't tell you jack shit about diet, I eat whatever the fuck I want. I can tell you how to gain some serious strength if that's what interests you, it will help build muscle too.

Im looking to be a Corrections officer / Police officer i don't need to get super bulked up or anything just strong enough to hold my own in a fight and enough cardio to run further than most average americans so usually 3-5 miles but in the Academy you usually run a couple miles a day.

I tend to eat eggs in the morning with a side of 2 sausages lunch Can be rice, Mac N cheese or a wrap and dinner is usually fish veggies and or chicken/steak

Workouts 30 push-ups in the morning 30 before bed every other day I run around the neighborhood since its a up hill down hill and then flat stretch It burns me out in one lap at full sprint and around lunch its as many jumping jacks as I can do before I feel sick 

considering taking up walking in between my running days or replacing running days with walking and weights 

Tyler likes this
1 hour ago, Tyler said:

Im looking to be a Corrections officer / Police officer i don't need to get super bulked up or anything just strong enough to hold my own in a fight and enough cardio to run further than most average americans so usually 3-5 miles but in the Academy you usually run a couple miles a day.

For simple strength training use the big 3 movements, bench, squat and deadlift. A 5x5 or 3x8 program works for a lot of people and that is what I started with. Don't be afraid of the deadlift as many people are, if you are competent and you do it the right way you won't hurt yourself. I prefer an upper/lower body rotation 4x a week. It will get you seriously strong especially if you are pushing yourself on that last set but I do not recommend training to failure with heavy weight. That is a great way to seriously fuck yourself up because your form is likely to break down. Training to failure with lighter weight is much more safe and in my opinion it will get you better results but only if you are doing it with lighter weight relative to your max. 

Edit: It's worth noting that you can definitely do more then the big 3 movements. I'd recommend staying with free weights because they will give you the benefit of being much more functional strong. Some isolation exercises could be intertwined but I prefer compound movements because I strongly believe it teaches your body to work as 1 unit , Bent over rows for your lats as well as pull ups. Overhead press, as well as shrugs are good for shoulder strength.

Edited by Steve
Tyler likes this
1 hour ago, Steve said:

For simple strength training use the big 3 movements, bench, squat and deadlift. A 5x5 or 3x8 program works for a lot of people and that is what I started with. Don't be afraid of the deadlift as many people are, if you are competent and you do it the right way you won't hurt yourself. I prefer an upper/lower body rotation 4x a week. It will get you seriously strong especially if you are pushing yourself on that last set but I do not recommend training to failure with heavy weight. That is a great way to seriously fuck yourself up because your form is likely to break down. Training to failure with lighter weight is much more safe and in my opinion it will get you better results but only if you are doing it with lighter weight relative to your max. 

Edit: It's worth noting that you can definitely do more then the big 3 movements. I'd recommend staying with free weights because they will give you the benefit of being much more functional strong. Some isolation exercises could be intertwined but I prefer compound movements because I strongly believe it teaches your body to work as 1 unit , Bent over rows for your lats as well as pull ups. Overhead press, as well as shrugs are good for shoulder strength.

you dont workout be quiet big head 

5 hours ago, Tyler said:

In this case you should do a lot of core workouts especially for running. Planks, single leg sit ups, reversed crunches those are great fam especially for running but also for fighting.

Edited by Sijanec
Tyler likes this
13 hours ago, Tyler said:

I plan on doing the same thing man and honestly I found myself wanting to get big but not fucking huge. Here's what I used to do but am planning on doing it again in the next couple weeks. I would do Squats, bench, barbell curls and overhead press on Day A. Deadlifts, pushups, pull ups and rows on Day B. 2 A days and 2 B days a week. On your rest days just do abs. Just get your cardio from lifting heavy because that’s good for the heart too. It’s 50% working out and 50% nutrition. I’d start with doing full body workouts 4x a week and eating like a horse. Don’t eat a ton of junk, but make sure you have potatoes and eggs, protein shakes, rice, whole grains and chicken. Eat as “healthy” as you can but as much as you can. This is if your trying to get bigger. You can still do cardio but honestly with cardio I lose way to much weight. Just work on getting bigger and faster. This is just what my plan is but you can change it around if you want. I've never really had an issue running but if you do need to get faster with cardio lift a lot and run from time to time.

Tyler likes this

If you’ve gained weight and want to cut weight or get more lean go on a keto diet. Limit yourself to 30 carbs a day, do none if you can. You want a moderate amount of protein and a high amount of fats. Ketosis is a state of body where instead of relying on carbs for energy your body just eats your fat basically. Drink absolutely nothing but water and drink a fuck ton of it. I usually drink about 2-3 gallons a days. I don’t like to eat breakfast so instead I’m on a 16-8 fast where I only eat between 12-8pm and nothing but water in between. Do both while powerlifting and a lot of cardiovascular excersises. Once you cut your weight you can pretty much eat whatever you want as long as you keep up with your exercise. 

Tyler and CoryB like this
13 hours ago, Steve said:

I had to do Deadlifts in Highschool for Football, not really scared of them so much as reluctant simply because like you said if you mess them up you can ruin your back, but thanks for the tips!

10 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I had to do Deadlifts in Highschool for Football, not really scared of them so much as reluctant simply because like you said if you mess them up you can ruin your back, but thanks for the tips!

Just don't lift with an ego, that is how the injuries happen. Start light and work on form and then slowly ramp up the weight..

Tyler likes this

You picked a good time for this question - I am doing another event for IBM regarding this and Ill sum up some notes I have. If its too long then just look at the bulletin points below the explanations - otherwise read them because they explain why I say what I am saying. If no one cares then I can just delete it as well:

I still recommend the same three things to everyone who wants low body fat and they are no no particular order other then me putting a number in front:

1. Begin Fasting, I'm not saying go crazy and do some youtubers "once a day" crazy bull shit. Pick a time for lunch and pick a time for dinner then make sure you don't eat outside of those windows. Why is this important? Well when you do things like cardio you tend to burn more fat off of the area's you are moving then the rest of your body - however if you can do things to boost your metabolism and increase the rate in which you burn fat in general you will lose fat in the places that are hard to. (The same places you as a male put fat primarily which would be your chest, your lower stomach, and your lower back). Lastly if your someone like me and your hungry all the damn time - this will help you curve your hunger as you know exactly when you are eating and you get in a routine.

- A simple thing I do is I eat at 12:30 for lunch, 3 for a snack, 7:00 for Dinner, and 8:30 for a final snack. That leaves me with an 8 hour eating window and a 16 hour fasting window which guess what - your fasting when your sleeping. Anything greater then 5 calories will break a fast - so just water essentially.

2. Count things, I'm not saying you can't eat more then 2000 calories but when you end your day if you want to lose weight you need to be under 2000 calories. On average I intake around 2100-2500 calories but my end of the day amount its usually between 1600-1900 resulting in about .5 - 1 lb's of fat per week lost. In addition to this you should pay attention to more things as you begin to get educated on nutrition. Sugar is used as an energy source - everyone knows this- but when you have too much it turns to fat. As a normal human being you should aim to be around 25-35 grams of sugar as a male (20-25 as a female) and you can add roughly 5-7 if you have worked out hard that day. There are differences in the kinds of sugar which is helpful when it comes to breaking it down and why those sugars don't turn to fat as easily but if you are in taking too much sugar it will turn to fat plain and simple. Lastly you should keep an eye on your salt - a lot of low calorie things and pre-perpared things have a ton of salt. Not only is this bad for your health but you can retain water making you feel bloated and look a lot "fatter" or softer then you really are - just pay attention to the % on the box and as an athlete you will need a bit more then the average person. (I haven't calculated this from my own notes but I have no issue with about 20% more then the recommended amount)

- The take away here is to begin to count your calories, your sugar, and your sodium. Eventually you can get into things like GMO's and natural shit but start off with simple numbers. Remember even things like Fruit can be bad when your numbers get too high. The science behind it makes sense and you will see it when you track your results.

3. Standing, the last thing on the list is burning calories. You can do what you want but as an athlete you know damn well 2000 calories isn't going to work for you. This means you are already at a disadvantage just feeding your self. What can you do? Well you can examine how you burn calories - as an athlete you know a mile jog on a treadmil is roughly 80-120 calories, outside is roughly 100-145 calories, and uphill is roughly 140-210 calories all depending on your weight and speed. A smart man would look at other ways that you can incorporate burning calories without causing strain on your body to keep up with your requirements. An average person burns 60 calories per hour standing, but an athlete of your size burns more around 70-80. What does this mean? - If you decided to stand for one hour every other hour by the time you were done your 8 hour work day you would have burnt about 300 calories. So what, thats nothing? - Thats the equivalent of running about 2.5 miles out doors every single day.

- If you added in just a small amount of standing you could lose weight by changing just about nothing in your life. Granted losing weight doesn't mean you will become this jacked human being as you really are what you eat. However this with the right diet will lower your body fat tremendously.

I can provide more information on what to eat and work outs but I'd rather not type more if no one cares with what I typed here to begin with

Edited by Sugarfoot
Tyler likes this
1 hour ago, Tyler said:

Keep your core tight and your arms straight. The most common injury I see people hurting there back because they are using there back too much and not using their hips or glutes.

Tyler likes this
3 minutes ago, Tyler said:

@Sugarfoot i really appreciate the info man it was really informative and i will definitely try and watch my carbs, salt, and caloric intake as well as try and stand up more (going to be hard considering my job is driving).

Well work on watching what you eat then for now. The whole process isn;t something you just change tonight - you constantly make your diet better and better.

I work out 6 days a week and I have been doing that for 9 years, it wasn't until the last year and a half I finally decided to learn nutrition and thats where things change. Thats 75% of the battle

Tyler likes this