An Open Letter to Bamf

@bamf

The Asylum community has seemingly unanimously decided that Asylum is on it's last leg. You may be burnt out and bored with Asylum, but a lot of people aren't. People love the community and only hang around because of it, and as the current owner of Asylum, you have a duty to do something to keep it alive. Sell it to someone that will take care of it, or just close it, keeping it open in it's current state is just making you lose more and more players. The server isn't growing, it is dying, and people want you to do something about it. Gnashes, yourself, and Paratus, as well as a few other developers have worked for years and years to make Asylum what it is, and it doesn't make sense to just let it die. There are plenty of things you can do to start improving the server, as I've listed in other threads. If you truly are burnt out and have no motivation to keep working on Asylum, just sell it. Sell it to Olympus, merge the servers or something, I don't know. No one wants to see Asylum go, and I know @Gnashes @Paratus and you, don't want all these years of work to go to waste.

Thanks.

NOTE: Please keep it on topic.

Edited by Pwnsome
Clark, IAmLegion, Walt and 9 others like this
12 minutes ago, Pwnsome said:

@bamf

The Asylum community has seemingly unanimously decided that Asylum is on it's last leg. You may be burnt out and bored with Asylum, but a lot of people aren't. People love the community and only hang around because of it, and as the current owner of Asylum, you have a duty to do something to keep it alive. Sell it to someone that will take care of it, or just close it, keeping it open in it's current state is just making you lose more and more players. The server isn't growing, it is dying, and people want you to do something about it. Gnashes, yourself, and Paratus, as well as a few other developers have worked for years and years to make Asylum what it is, and it doesn't make sense to just let it die. There are plenty of things you can do to start improving the server, as I've listed in other threads. If you truly are burnt out and have no motivation to keep working on Asylum, just sell it. Sell it to Olympus, merge the servers or something, I don't know. No one wants to see Asylum go, and I know @Gnashes @Paratus and you, don't want all these years of work to go to waste.

Thanks.

You can't really sit their and tell Bamf it is "his duty" to keep Asylum alive. Imagine having a life, a job, and other interests. (Crazy right?) I absolutely agree that the reigns should be handed off or they should simply shut the servers down, but I can imagine it isn't exactly easy to just let someone else take over a community that you have poured your heart and soul into over the years.

Asylum isn't what it used to be, and its been proven over and over again that no amount of updates or changes will bring the player base, or more specifically gang life, back to the servers. I honestly think it's safe to say that the peak of Asylum past a long time ago. Instead of letting the servers dwindle down to nothing and eventually forcing Bamf to bring the servers offline, I think the smart choice may be to pull the plug entirely, and let everyone remember Asylum for what it once was.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Just my opinion don't get triggered

Buck, Emma, Farmer Steve and 1 other like this
10 minutes ago, Quenton said:

You can't really sit their and tell Bamf it is "his duty" to keep Asylum alive. Imagine having a life, a job, and other interests. (Crazy right?) I absolutely agree that the reigns should be handed off or they should simply shut the servers down, but I can imagine it isn't exactly easy to just let someone else take over a community that you have poured your heart and soul into over the years.

Asylum isn't what it used to be, and its been proven over and over again that no amount of updates or changes will bring the player base, or more specifically gang life, back to the servers. I honestly think it's safe to say that the peak of Asylum past a long time ago. Instead of letting the servers dwindle down to nothing and eventually forcing Bamf to bring the servers offline, I think the smart choice may be to pull the plug entirely, and let everyone remember Asylum for what it once was.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Just my opinion don't get triggered

That is a good point, but I do believe as the owner, and now sole developer of Asylum, he at least has a duty to communicate to the players about what his plans are, and since so many people have given money to Asylum, he definitely has a duty to at least do something to help.

Walt likes this

I don't think you can blame the developers - they have put constant updates in for years. The server was a lot different back in 2014. 

The community is way too toxic. One time I reported a former admin for blatantly breaking rules as cop and I was harassed by like 5 different people over it. The admins shared the evidence with people when I specifically noted for them not to - and people were trying to dox me through my youtube account. All I did was report someone for breaking the rules - like what the fuck?

Not to mention you get groups like FarmersVille harassing everybody in Kavala. Their house used to be glitched, and they would hold cops in there hostage for hours due to some type of loophole in the rules. New players get kidnapped / killed basically immediately, or treated like shit simply for asking for help. 

I'm barely scratching the surface but it's really no surprise this server is dying. I used to meet a lot of cool people back in the 2014 / 2015 era. 5 servers 100/100 all day basically. People acted like retards back then too, but you would meet a lot of really cool new people too, so it balanced out.

Edited by Snow-

No amount of anything will bring the player base back, and what is left is 99% sweaty kids who get their jollies off talking shit.  Asylum is for all intensive purposes dead, and has been for a while. People only play at this point because they either don't want to start over somewhere else, wanna just fuck around with friends, or for the memes.

Edited by HotWings
8 minutes ago, Snow- said:

I don't think you can blame the developers - they have put constant updates in for years. The server was a lot different back in 2014. 

The community is way too toxic. One time I reported a former admin for blatantly breaking rules as cop and I was harassed by like 5 different people over it. The admins shared the evidence with people when I specifically noted for them not to - and people were trying to dox me through my youtube account. All I did was report someone for breaking the rules - like what the fuck?

Not to mention you get groups like FarmersVille harassing everybody in Kavala. Their house used to be glitched, and they would hold cops in there hostage for hours due to some type of loophole in the rules. New players get kidnapped / killed basically immediately, or treated like shit simply for asking for help. 

I'm barely scratching the surface but it's really no surprise this server is dying. I used to meet a lot of cool people back in the 2014 / 2015 era. 5 servers 100/100 all day basically. People acted like retards back then too, but you would meet a lot of really cool new people too, so it balanced out.

@HotWings **....this is my opinion after being an Admin on these servers for 4+ years...no I don't cum in my sock and no I don't circle jerk with my friends. So before you quote me and hit me with some stupid shit like that take a deep breath and relax**.

The 2014-2015 Asylum that I came into was created by an actual programmer who could quickly release new patches and fixes when he wanted to. It was ran differently when the people that founded the server were running it, and the early admins were new and less entrenched in Asylum. At that time Asylum was innovating in it's development, it was just an expectation that players could play on a stable server, but the excitement came from new additional innovations.

Anytime there has ever been issues in this community was when the Dev's were detached from the issues that players cared about. Dev's were busy with IRL stuff (60+ hour weeks, six-figure jobs, tax season, family, etc.) which is of course understandable and more important, but it left a void between their understanding of the current server state. The community manager's job description may seem to fill this void, but at the end of the day unless the community manager is the developer very little will actually be done, since all they do is nag at the Dev's. The community manager was solely created to police admins after some incidents involving abuse. While some admins flex their E peen to new lengths, admins by nature are just button pushers, and really can't fix someone's anger with the development of the server. While they can improve the experience through events and quick response times, this eventually wore off as stability got worse it was nearly impossible to run the same kind of events we had been running throughout the past year and a half.

The lack of stability on the servers is the final diagnosis for the current state of Asylum. The toxicity of the community is a symptom not the cause. If all asylum lacked was no new content, people would bitch but nothing was worse then spending 10 minutes gearing up and getting to bank to yellow chain and run in place for 10 minutes. Those issues and the mass kicks went on for far too long, while other servers had no major game-breaking issues and began to thrive off the pissed players from Asylum.

There is a LOT more to be said, but it is sad that most of you never got to experience the old thriving Asylum and have taken this state as the status quo.

Just now, Peter Long said:

How to fix Asylum =

1. Fire Gaskal - that dude likes men. And Goats. That is fucking weird. 

2. ??????????

3. ????????????

4. Profit.

How to kill Asylum

1. Buy Asylum Player Data

2. Set a conversation ratio that is reasonable for Asylum money to Olympus Money i.e. - 1 asylum dollar = 10 olympus dollars.

3. Have OlympusDevs create a script to apply this conversion to Asylum players bank values, and then comp their PID the resulting amount on Olympus.

4. Profit.

Edited by HereToStealYourIdeas
Walt, George, Huan Lee and 5 others like this
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm ready for Asylum 2.0. More Guns. More Drugs To Make, More Things To Drive. More Cloths. Larger Caliber Guns, LRPS. MORE MORE MORE MORE.

Keep the RP/Rules. Release all the content. Make shit that is "op" supper expensive like suicide vest, speed bombs, and rockets.

Content is def something that brings people in.

Make a reward system for youtube and twitch users who advertise via views and viewers. Or pay someone to do it. Frankie1080pc is personally how I found a home here many years ago.

Not only has the developers put a lot of time into this server. I myself and many other have done over 4k+ hours populating the servers. A lot of life spent just to toss away. Granted all games do come to an end, but I'd like to think we can keep this boat floating until ARMA IIII :P

Lastly, We need to keep an updated active admin roster, Not just admins that are TS active, but ingame active. There are plenty of good guys here who are active who could easily be trained to take over or just simply take over the roles. Forum admins should be separate form in game admins imo and admins should be equal if not more active then most of its members ingame. Admins help left the moral with there events and presents. I miss the giant sojobo submarines in kavala square that would randomly blow everything up =\

Yung Tommy likes this
3 hours ago, Canna said:

I'm ready for Asylum 2.0. More Guns. More Drugs To Make, More Things To Drive. More Cloths. Larger Caliber Guns, LRPS. MORE MORE MORE MORE.

Keep the RP/Rules. Release all the content. Make shit that is "op" supper expensive like suicide vest, speed bombs, and rockets.

Content is def something that brings people in.

Make a reward system for youtube and twitch users who advertise via views and viewers. Or pay someone to do it. Frankie1080pc is personally how I found a home here many years ago.

Not only has the developers put a lot of time into this server. I myself and many other have done over 4k+ hours populating the servers. A lot of life spent just to toss away. Granted all games do come to an end, but I'd like to think we can keep this boat floating until ARMA IIII :P

Lastly, We need to keep an updated active admin roster, Not just admins that are TS active, but ingame active. There are plenty of good guys here who are active who could easily be trained to take over or just simply take over the roles. Forum admins should be separate form in game admins imo and admins should be equal if not more active then most of its members ingame. Admins help left the moral with there events and presents. I miss the giant sojobo submarines in kavala square that would randomly blow everything up =\

The guns was never the issue to Asylums downfall. I liked the restriction to 7.62 since it gave Asylum i unique kind of flavor and playstile while alot of other crap life servers gave you access to large guns. 

If I want to snipe somebody a 1000m away with a M320 and LRPS scope I would go on a king of the hill server. The restriction is what made Asylum some what balanced and fun. It is just that it is broken, missing player count, lack of content and alot of other things that have made this server dull over the past 2 years.

4 hours ago, MR. COW said:

The guns was never the issue to Asylums downfall. I liked the restriction to 7.62 since it gave Asylum i unique kind of flavor and playstile while alot of other crap life servers gave you access to large guns. 

If I want to snipe somebody a 1000m away with a M320 and LRPS scope I would go on a king of the hill server. The restriction is what made Asylum some what balanced and fun. It is just that it is broken, missing player count, lack of content and alot of other things that have made this server dull over the past 2 years.

Not sure if you know this or not, but everyone liked that, but the server is dead and the old ways are dead, time to adapt and overcome or go away with the turn of time.

If people still like the old ways there would be people here.

Guns = content and evolved game play.

I for one am not scared of some bot sitting in a tower with a lrps. Just like a 7.62 w/ RCO, at the end of the day it takes skill to land the shots. If you don't know how to use the whole map to flank a single position on this game then you should stick to Contra III on Super Nintendo.

9 hours ago, Canna said:

Not sure if you know this or not, but everyone liked that, but the server is dead and the old ways are dead, time to adapt and overcome or go away with the turn of time.

I for one am not scared of some bot sitting in a tower with a lrps. Just like a 7.62 w/ RCO, at the end of the day it takes skill to land the shots. If you don't know how to use the whole map to flank a single position on this game then you should stick to Contra III on Super Nintendo.

+1 for M320 with LRPS.

I can't hit jack shit from 500m out of Kavala HQ.

13 hours ago, Canna said:

OK let's more stronger weapons = Content and fun.

So we give rebels 320's with LRPS and give the APD justice wagons. Sure it might work for a few weeks but what comes after? I dont think it is the right solution at all to this issue. In a matter of fact I dont think there is much of a solution to be made since Arma 3 is a game that is alot smaller then it was 2-3 years ago.