Asylum Announcement

32 minutes ago, Emma said:

Is it possible to even to bring legal action against him?

18 USC 1030

Whomever -

(5)(A) knowingly causes the transmission of a program, information, code, or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally causes damage without authorization, to a protected computer;

• (8)the term “damage” means any impairment to the integrity or availability of data, a program, a system, or information;
  • (2)the term “protected computer” means a computer— [. . .] (B)which is used in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce or communication, including a computer located outside the United States that is used in a manner that affects interstate or foreign commerce or communication of the United States;

(c) The punishment for an offense under subsection (a) or (b) of this section is—

• (B) except as provided in subparagraphs (E) and (F), a fine under this title, imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, in the case of—
  • (i) an offense under subsection (a)(5)(A), [. . .]); or
  • (ii) an attempt to commit an offense punishable under this subparagraph;

tl;dr: Yes

Just now, Gnashes said:

18 USC 1030

(5)(A) knowingly causes the transmission of a program, information, code, or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally causes damage without authorization, to a protected computer;

• (8)the term “damage” means any impairment to the integrity or availability of data, a program, a system, or information;
  • (2)the term “protected computer” means a computer— [. . .] (B)which is used in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce or communication, including a computer located outside the United States that is used in a manner that affects interstate or foreign commerce or communication of the United States;

But will he be sued though

Just now, Gnashes said:

18 USC 1030

You hella cute son

.Casper and BlackShot like this
Just now, Gnashes said:

18 USC 1030

(c) The punishment for an offense under subsection (a) or (b) of this section is—

• (B) except as provided in subparagraphs (E) and (F), a fine under this title, imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, in the case of—
  • (i) an offense under subsection (a)(5)(A), [. . .]); or
  • (ii) an attempt to commit an offense punishable under this subparagraph;

Oh okay, I thought that perhaps because there wasn't a contract of any sort, he would be protected against legal action... At this point however, bring down the hammer... I thought Windmere was a pretty cool guy and I enjoyed playing with him, but at this point, screw him... Also, hey Gnashes, long time no see :D

19 minutes ago, Bikstok said:

Pretty easy to claim that it was an error caused by an incompetent developer. Surely someone could cause a lot more havoc if they truly had malicious intent.

All this talk of him breaking the law etc etc and people are forgetting the most important aspect of 18 USC 1030, they would have to prove he damaged or disrupted monetary gain of a certain value. Good luck trying to prove he caused $5000 in damages.

Bikstok likes this
2 hours ago, Buddy Love said:

All this talk of him breaking the law etc etc and people are forgetting the most important aspect of 18 USC 1030, they would have to prove he damaged or disrupted monetary gain of a certain value. Good luck trying to prove he caused $5000 in damages.

You're looking at the wrong portion of that statute I believe.

34 minutes ago, bamf said:

You're looking at the wrong portion of that statute I believe.

In a perfect world maybe this guy catches a case for whatever statute you believe he broke but you really think a federal prosecutor is gonna waste his/her time building a case for this without any/ barely any monetary loss? There are many arguments Windmere could use to avoid a guilty verdict and a prosecutor is gonna see that. You would need a fuckload of evidence that he did it, and you would need evidence that he intended to cause damage in order to get a conviction plus I doubt the U.S. government is gonna give a shit about trying to go after a guy that fucked with a “business” (if you want to call it that, no clue what kind of licensing you guys have) that runs on donations to keep a group of 2-3 servers with minimum  200 people that play for fun... 

Unless Windmere signed some kind of legal document to where the owners could sue, I guarantee nothing comes of this. To think he could catch a felony for this is laughable.

If they really believe he committed a felony and they want to pursue charges, all I gotta say is good luck man.

Edited by Buddy Love
Emma and Alec-I like this