Sign in to follow this  
Go0gle_Th1$

The beginning of the end...

To all asylum players,

First, I would like to say that I do not wish to put Asylum down it any way, and I also know most of you dont know me, that is because I lurk in the shadows. However, what I would like to say is that I feel that we a dying as a community that I have been apart of for 4 years... and to be realistic, I think it is going to be next to impossible to build this community back to the way it once was. This is by far the best game I have ever played, in my 20+ years of gaming I never came close to the amount of hours that I have put in this one.

Its not just asylum that is dying, it is Arma 3 as a whole, Bohemia is taking way to long to come out with Arma 4 and people are losing interest. In addition, Asylum v2 was a great attempt to boost the community. However, while it fixed the crashing and other bugs, it lacked new content (and even took out content)... So I dont think that it will be an effective way to bring back the old players. Also, the community as a whole is horrible at keeping new players. I think this is because of the toxic atmosphere of the senior players. For example, a new player grinds to buy his first box truck, and gun, and goes to the cocaine field to make some decent money, just to be greeted by a player that has thousands of hours of experience over him and gets destroyed, over and over again. They dont stand a chance to the senior players and pretty much everyone one that plays now has been around for awhile.

As for the APD officers, being one myself, I feel that is getting old doing the same things over and over again. I cant tell you have many times I have done a jail break, and the same people are in the same exact spots every single time. There is nothing new and exciting. The best times that I have, is when I have to deal with something that I haven't dealt with before but that is becoming rare.

I am not here to tell the developers here what to do. We should be thankful for all the hard work they have put into this game. At the same time, I do not want to see us die. So what can we do to save ourselves??? Personally, in the grander scale of things, I feel that we need to keep changing and creating new content until Arma 4 comes out, then we can move asylum over... We need a new bank, we need a new prison, I think the locations of the cartels need to be moved on a rotating schedule so people cant memorize the perfect location to sit in between a rock. However, before that is done we need to make it easier to start out, so the new players stay and have an opportunity to learn and not be dominated by the older players that have millions and millions of dollars. In addition, we as a community need to make sure that we help out new players and teach them how to be successful player. RANT OVER....

Please, lets use this thread as an opportunity to come together and figure out what we need to do to save this thing!!!!

Sincerely,

Hubert Cumberdale

1 hour ago, Go0gle_Th1$ said:

We need a new bank, we need a new prison, I think the locations of the cartels need to be moved on a rotating schedule so people cant memorize the perfect location to sit in between a rock.

If we get a new bank and prison, it will have callouts and be perfectly strategized in a week. If we get cartels that some how rotate to so many places you can't get callouts for them, people would complain about 90% of them because to have that many locations would to be putting it in really bad spots, and even then that won't guarantee callouts aren't made for each one.

1 hour ago, Go0gle_Th1$ said:

However, before that is done we need to make it easier to start out, so the new players stay and have an opportunity to learn and not be dominated by the older players that have millions and millions of dollars. In addition, we as a community need to make sure that we help out new players and teach them how to be successful player.

Wiping everyone will not only kill what is left of the community, and if it did happen, the rich millionaires that camp cocaine would be back at it within a month. And if people want to learn how to do things, ask in side chat. I still ask questions in side chat to this day and I've been playing since 2015.

Yuki Hayami and MrJackintheBox like this

I agree, that wiping everyone would kill the game and I did not say to do that in my post. I just think that players need to be more mindful when it comes to dominating over new players. However, I do disagree with you about the cartels. I think that it would be a good thing, that it would be difficult to make callouts, it will make it harder to create the perfect strategy which would make fights more interesting. The goal of a game shouldn't be to find the perfect spot and exploit it until the end of time. There should be an ever changing environment, that causes players to learn new things and force them to find new spots thus creating a new user experience.

jeans and Abdul Al Hasam like this

I’ma just say this, no amount of new content or mission file changes are going to bring back this community.

Asylum isn’t big enough to recycle a population by having high pop numbers, unlike how it was years ago.

Only thing that’s gonna bring back Asylum is by advertising or offering some kind of incentive for new players to join the server.  V2 was a step in the right direction but Owners need to do more besides sitting back and expecting people to come back by word of mouth alone. That’s how i see it maybe I’m wrong, no clue what they have done advertising wise.

A lot of the old players remember joining because of Lirik streaming or frankieonpc or whatever that dudes name was. Not saying you have to get Lirik to stream the game but hopefully you get an idea of what brings people to games.

Edited by Reapered

12 hours ago, Go0gle_Th1$ said:

As for the APD officers, being one myself, I feel that is getting old doing the same things over and over again. I cant tell you have many times I have done a jail break, and the same people are in the same exact spots every single time. There is nothing new and exciting. The best times that I have, is when I have to deal with something that I haven't dealt with before but that is becoming rare.

No offense to anyone in the APD but from what I've seen, The APD doesn't try to role play as much as it should. I thought it would be fun to join the APD but when I did I was quite disappointed. I think the APD needs to become more role play oriented to keep new players and strive interest as well as letting senior players get occupied by other bigger things. Hitting small time box trucks is a waste of time compared to having a massive convoy full of meth which is not only fun but an interesting challenge.

need to add protections to new players like how dayz servers did. Give them bambi outfits or something synced to their account. IDK tbh i tried to get people to join and they just saw no reason to play. Tried to get older players back to and they said its the same as it was in 2017. Dont forget  WOW classic stole a good amount of the pop along with school.

32 minutes ago, Flare Chaser said:

need to add protections to new players like how dayz servers did. Give them bambi outfits or something synced to their account. IDK tbh i tried to get people to join and they just saw no reason to play. Tried to get older players back to and they said its the same as it was in 2017. Dont forget  WOW classic stole a good amount of the pop along with school.

No just stop

jeans likes this

Nothing will bring back players because ARMA is incredibly boring and the mechanics are garbage compared to new games. Besides, LARPing gets old fast, so why bother? I've got fond memories of this place but zero desire to ever play again.

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz
Innate, Emma and Shane McCoy like this

Honestly, I probably have nearly 1000 hours on asylum. Tons of great memories, and I reminisce about the times me and my friends used to have when we were younger. I get sad when I see the server population and realize its all coming to an end soon.

But I still have no motivation to play anymore

We used to have 4 servers max population nearly everyday, even if we try as hard as we can I don't think there's a chance to rebuild our population. It's just arma in general thats dying.

Edited by Shane McCoy
Abdul Al Hasam and Emma like this

They missed the player influx of summer by postponing the due date everytime, WoW Classic is out and has already consumed one of our CMs (jk kind of) and as well as school starting up its just a terrible time. Personally, i think Asylum won't see 2020 but theres still hope with the new Contributors being added to create new skins and whatnot 

Blake. and Huan Lee like this

6 minutes ago, Copa said:

They missed the player influx of summer by postponing the due date everytime, WoW Classic is out and has already consumed one of our CMs (jk kind of) and as well as school starting up its just a terrible time. Personally, i think Asylum won't see 2020 but theres still hope with the new Contributors being added to create new skins and whatnot 

skins behind a paywall will not do much though.

smellypig and The Boss like this

On 9/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, DeSt said:

I think the APD needs to become more role play oriented to keep new players and strive interest as well as letting senior players get occupied by other bigger things.

The APD is required to be in character at all times. If you find someone that inst doing that or who really is not role playing make an IA. When people don't report it we cant do anything about it. 

2 hours ago, Chow Mein said:

The APD is required to be in character at all times. If you find someone that inst doing that or who really is not role playing make an IA. When people don't report it we cant do anything about it. 

Its not something like that, Cops will stay in character but some cops like to do "Robo coping" and I understand when they do it if lets say a bank pops up or something but its something that should be addressed possibly. If cops give new players a good experience they will sure as shit stick around for a while and test the cops. I might be a little biased though since I haven't played too much cop to experience it for myself but as far as everything goes some cops are amazing and some are robo cops and if we can all deepen the role play experience the server can be jump started.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:44 PM, Copa said:

Def wont see 2020 with rats like you populating the server

HEYSOOS? and Chow Mein like this

9 minutes ago, Zaka said:

You little NA reject rat.. 

NA as in North America or?

never heard north america used in an insult before

Edited by Copa

On 9/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, Sheriff Rick said:

If fun new content can be added then Asylum has a shot.  It just needs to be shit that everyone can do instead of catering everything to cartel players

Cartel players really haven't been in the lime light all that much. We had the infamy tree (which was shit and now isn't here) and maybe a few cute new clothing updates. Other then that cartels have been nearly the same for the past 3 years.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:49 PM, Reapered said:

Only thing that’s gonna bring back Asylum is by advertising or offering some kind of incentive for new players to join the server.  V2 was a step in the right direction but Owners need to do more besides sitting back and expecting people to come back by word of mouth alone. That’s how i see it maybe I’m wrong, no clue what they have done advertising wise.

Ding ding ding......winner winner chicken diner. There is no game like Arma, and the deeper meta game within the life style Arma servers has never been topped. But no one knows about it. Word of mouth alone is not good enough. Ive had a fucking blast playing this game but if it wasnt for Leroy Jenkins I would have never heard of it.

V2 fixed the biggest issue of server instability (Thank you!!!). Now that is fixed, the next thing they need to do is spread out the money making zones more effectively. New players cant make money because they cant buy homes and the red zones are too tightly packed together, making it too easy to get robbed or grabbed by the cops. Its so hard to find money making homes for new players. If there was more stuff spread out over the map, it would make cities that no one ever goes to more desirable to buy homes at. Sure, that would make it harder for cops to patrol the whole island but who gives a shit?

What would be the consequence of people having great money making making sources and they werent always getting caught by the cops or getting robbed? What would happen if everyone on the island could buy Orkas and load outs and .50 cals?  People would be running around, shooting the shit out of each other and having fun......is that a bad thing?

Increase the legal money making opportunities as well. 

Go0gle_Th1$ likes this

On 9/6/2019 at 1:08 AM, Go0gle_Th1$ said:

To all asylum players,

words

Sincerely,

Hubert Cumberdale

Lots of the "we"-s in your post fall on developers and staff members who do this for free, with too much on their plates, and a toxic community.
Under the leadership of Herr Beastwood, community feedback is being taken more often and the playerbase is sculpting the content on it's own.

One of the problems, is the overabundance of "idea guys" and the scarcity of skilled members of the community who can be both trusted and skilled enough to contribute.

It's easy to point out the problems, but what can you do to fix them?

Hoodlum Priest and Chow Mein like this

Well to start, I can choose to assist new players and help them get started, so they have a better chance of sticking around. Also, I can do something as little as not being a toxic player like the majority of the senior players choose to do. In addition, when I used the term "we" I was referring to all of us as a community. That includes the developers, admins, APD, and most of all the players. I was not just scrutinizing the developers, they have done a great job recently with all the resent additions. I was talking about the community as a whole. Since, if we continue to have a toxic player base we will fail to retain new players.

Regarding specifically rotating cartels between more and different locations, let me come from the perspective of a career rebel and not so much an Admin.(Even though Admins can't make this decision anyways)

On a general consensus people like the current cartel locations because they are mostly balanced in terms of what the attackers can do vs. what the defenders can do. In the past Asylum has tried more then once to add in more locations that people thought were a good idea and they never really stuck. Gangs would more often then not prefer to fight in the older locations that they are accustomed to purely because they are balanced and quite frankly I have to agree. I am one of the people as are you, who seriously does want to see Asylum succeed once again and hopefully close to where we were years ago. Though I do think it will come from a lot of the old content being re-added back in as well as whatever new content is on the horizon.

Edit: Something you could do that would be different and is a blast for me every time is get your friends to go to a random spot and setup, bait cops with an Ifrit or whatever you want to use and ambush them, it always has been one of my favorite things to do and it really does not get old. The cops tend to get extremely salty and I love it. This is a bit strange but about a week ago @YuSheng bought a speed bomb and I was being chased in a Strider I stole with out a gun by all the cops online. He proceeded to time it just right so the speed bomb blew up but didn't cause the Strider I stole to immediately explode, the cops then gathered around me and were about to either pull me out or shoot me out. Then the Strider did blow up and we ended causing the death of at least 8 or so cops. That was one of the funniest experiences I have had in the last 6 months on Asylum and Arma in general.

My point with that is, is how many times can you say you have done that right outside of Pygros on the main road? At the end of the day you do, to some extent have to make your own fun if you want to have fun.

Innate, Go0gle_Th1$ and Lucien like this

On 9/28/2019 at 6:57 AM, Kernikov said:

Lots of the "we"-s in your post fall on developers and staff members who do this for free, with too much on their plates, and a toxic community.
Under the leadership of Herr Beastwood, community feedback is being taken more often and the playerbase is sculpting the content on it's own.

One of the problems, is the overabundance of "idea guys" and the scarcity of skilled members of the community who can be both trusted and skilled enough to contribute.

It's easy to point out the problems, but what can you do to fix them?

Thats a great point......but I dont know how to write code, so I cant help in that regard.

I had heard someone once suggest to have polls on the changes the players think would make the game more fun. Then have the developers give Clint an estimate of man hours and costs involved with implementing it. Clint could post that number and tell players, "great, you wanted this, now step up and pay for it." Post donation progress reports so we could see how close we are.

Id gladly pay for development time to get results that the players want.

Edited by Hoodlum Priest

So, 
First point, "community is too toxic, someone gets their first truck gets it fucked" etc etc.  
Disagree. This is the point people make or join gangs and rivalry's are born, gangs make the game go round, if you are going to quit that early because of something like that then the community wasn't going to keep you in the first place.

Secondly. "APD officers" have been doing the same thing for 5 years now. Its not been an issue before and it still isnt. I was made to be aware recently that we now have a cap of 7 cops online at once up to 50 players, that is retarded if it is still implemented, career officers logging on to be told "no cop for you" is a demotivator. 

Thirdly, Classic wow tho. 

Edited by DS_Billy
Chow Mein and Copa like this

17 minutes ago, DS_Billy said:

So, 
First point, "community is too toxic, someone gets their first truck gets it fucked" etc etc.  
Disagree. This is the point people make or join gangs and rivalry's are born, gangs make the game go round, if you are going to quit that early because of something like that then the community wasn't going to keep you in the first place.

Secondly. "APD officers" have been doing the same thing for 5 years now. Its not been an issue before and it still isnt. I was made to be aware recently that we now have a cap of 7 cops online at once up to 50 players, that is retarded if it is still implemented, career officers logging on to be told "no cop for you" is a demotivator. 

Thirdly, Classic wow tho. 

Forth, this is a necropost. You've taken a break from wow to go thru the forums I see. I remember a billy who gave motivational speeches on quads not raids. Same plague has taken @Mason RIP

Chow Mein and Copa like this

15 minutes ago, Boon said:

Forth, this is a necropost. You've taken a break from wow to go thru the forums I see. I remember a billy who gave motivational speeches on quads not raids. Same plague has taken @Mason RIP

giphy.gif

this is a necropost? it was like, 4 down from the top

Boon likes this