bum41

Strength traning & mass

Good points are made in the video. Consistency is key, if you want to see real results.

As far as pre-workout/post workout, it's really not that necessary. As long as you get your macro-nutrients that you need during the day, you will be good. I personally like to have a carb-high meal a couple hours before training, and then eat a nice high-protein meal an hour after training. Only other supplements I use are creatine and whey protein. Those i take inbetween meals, but they are not essential at all. You need to focus on a good diet, in order to actually grow. Nothing special, just put away junk food and eat protein-rich foods and carbs.

As far as training, you want to focus on "compound movements" as a beginner. Those types of excercises gives you good strenght and mobility, and works on different muscles at the same time. Focus on those (barbell benchpress, deadlifts, squat, pullups/lat pulldowns, dips, overhead press), and don't focus most of your time on eccentric excersises (bicep curls, machines that hit one small specific musle). Lastly, you also want to be patient and consistent, because results take time to show.

You can use my routine as inspiration if you want, but I'd reccommend you training 3-4 times a week to begin with, and then when ready for it, up it to 5-6.

Monday: Upper body (5-6 reps max, 5 sets pr excersise)

Tuesday: Lower body (5-6 reps max, 5 sets pr excersise)

Wedsnday: Rest

Thursday: Push (Chest, shoulder, triceps) (10-12 reps max, 3 sets pr excersise)

Friday: Pull (back, biceps) (10-12 reps max, 3 sets pr excersise)

Saturday: Legs (10-12 reps max, 3 sets pr excersise)

Sunday: Rest

Edited by Heidelberg
bum41 likes this

50 minutes ago, Heidelberg said:

Good points are made in the video. Consistency is key, if you want to see real results.

As far as pre-workout/post workout, it's really not that necessary. As long as you get your macro-nutrients that you need during the day, you will be good. I personally like to have a carb-high meal a couple hours before training, and then eat a nice high-protein meal an hour after training. Only other supplements I use are creatine and whey protein. Those i take inbetween meals, but they are not essential at all. You need to focus on a good diet, in order to actually grow. Nothing special, just put away junk food and eat protein-rich foods and carbs.

As far as training, you want to focus on "compound movements" as a beginner. Those types of excercises gives you good strenght and mobility, and works on different muscles at the same time. Focus on those (barbell benchpress, deadlifts, squat, pullups/lat pulldowns, dips, overhead press), and don't focus most of your time on eccentric excersises (bicep curls, machines that hit one small specific musle). Lastly, you also want to be patient and consistent, because results take time to show.

You can use my routine as inspiration if you want, but I'd reccommend you training 3-4 times a week to begin with, and then when ready for it, up it to 5-6.

Fatty

Heidelberg and Calle. like this

1 hour ago, Heidelberg said:

ok racist

237eb418d2c63f67e0d470cca57dcefc.png

16 hours ago, Heidelberg said:

opinion on thisSXcUlvl.png

20 minutes ago, Sugarfoot said:

I will weigh in on what you asked:

Opinion on the video:
Its true but take it with a grain of salt. You shouldn't be going to failure from lifting heavy as thats going to tear your central nervous system apart if you dont get injured first. As for hitting failure on volume thats typically a bit safer but even then you should find a middle ground where you do volume and weight. A lot of folks never go past 90% RPE which basically means 1 rep left in the tank. 

His explanation is wonderful for MMA and for athletes but if you are going in the gym with the purpose of growing then this logic is only half true. If you dont provide progressive overload in the gym you WILL adapt to whatever it is you do and you will not grow past that platue.

Opinion on supplements:
I dont take pre-workout simply from the fact that any caffine at all makes me sick but I like to have a simple carb meal before working out and I stick to isolate protein, super greens, BCAA's, Multi Vitamins, and fish oil for supplements.

Workout Routine
My routine may not be what works best for you as everyone has different recovery periods for their muscles and different pains that they carry day to day. Obviously if you see a movement that I do or someone else does it doesn't mean its right for you. 

I do "Push, Pull, Legs" but in reverse basically.

Day 1: Legs, Shoulders, Abs without weight (basically volume)
Day 2: Biceps, Back, Traps, and once in a blue moon some extra forearm work.
Day 3: Chest, Triceps, Abs with weight
Day 4: Rest (or cardio if cutting/conditioning for something)

In most of my workouts I split between a volume day where I usually go up to about 75% RPE, or a heavy day where I go to about 90% RPE. Im far too lazy to type out the reps/sets and the reason why I do them or my routine like this in general. If for some reason you are interested in that information or nutritional information I would be more then happy to PM you that.

Note: I workout from my home so everything is free weight, weighted band, or body weight with weight addons.

Legs: 
Squats -> Deadlifts -> Calf Raises -> If I have time good mornings with focus on hamstrings.
Shoulders:
Military Press (Or Dumbell Press if you have shoulder pains) -> Rear Delt fly's -> Lateral Raises -> Rear Delt face pulls
Abs:
Flat Sit ups (Meaning flat on your back where you only lift your torso up to flex upper/middle abs) -> Hanging leg crunches (Focus is lower abs) -> Russian Twists/Oblique Turns with a plate.  (These are done with more reps and no weights for the situps/crunches on Day 1)

Back:
Barbell Rows -> Lateral Raises -> Banded Pull Downs or weighted pull ups
Biceps:
21's/Barbell Curls -> Hammer Curls -> Preacher/Isolated curls  or weighted pull ups
Traps:
Dumbell Shrugs -> Trapbar Shrugs. Only difference really is your hand positioning which targets them a little differently .. nothing special though.

Chest:
Flat Bench Press -> Incline Dumbell Press -> Fly's or Dips depending on volume/heavy day.
Triceps:
Close Grip Bench -> Overhead Dumbell Extensions -> If im doing dips ill call it there otherwise I will do banded pulldowns with an underhanded grip (Palms facing up).
Abs:
Flat Sit ups (Meaning flat on your back where you only lift your torso up to flex upper/middle abs) -> Hanging leg crunches (Focus is lower abs) -> Russian Twists/Oblique Turns with a plate.  (These are done with a weight in my hands for the situps and holding a weight with my feet for the crunches)

Hope this helps offer some suggestions

@bum41 Dont ask me how I quoted myself when this was my first post but hopefully that helps lol. 

Been awhile since I typed on the forums so this shits weird

Edited by Sugarfoot
bum41 likes this