Building Nephew a PC - your opinion please

Gatorade

Hi All,

I have built quite a few PC's in the past and for the most part I almost always go to @Azeh to see whats shit these days and whats not. This time around im building one for my nephews birthday and I noticed a lot of the AMD prices are ridiculously good right now.

Budget:
I dont think there's really a budget but I figured something within 500-1000 range would be prefered.

What I put together so far:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jybfmg

I basically have a brand new GTX 970 sitting in a box, a corsair 550 or 650 PSU (Can't remember), and a 1TB HDD he can have so it saves a couple hundred bucks there. Ill end up giving him my 1070ti eventually but for now im sure thats good enough to run medium graphics since hes more then happy playing on 20 frames on low right now lol.

-----------> I was hoping to get your thoughts on that build above as it seems like for all intensive purposes it can play 1080p games quite well and its just about 500 bucks. My understanding with AMD Ryzen CPU's is that the most important part is to get a good batch of RAM + MOBO that can actually overclock to the 3200 speed for the CPU to utilize.

Any recommendations would be appreciated and if what I picked is shit please let me know

Oh I guess one other thing is I also have some cheap kingston SSD he could use too but I figured that maybe those new SSD's would help a lot. 

(Also I wasn't really sure with that warning on the PC part picker if it was compatible since I seen a youtube video where they used the parts together)

Edited by Sugarfoot
Twinkie and Nightfury like this
Just now, Twinkie said:

I see no problems with your build except for that that Mobo might need a BIOS update. 

(Didn't you already build a Nephew a PC for their birthday?)

Yeah I built one nephew a PC (older one) and I have a younger one who really likes to play my old beat up one.

Regarding the MOBO warning .. I wonder if thats just something they put for all AM2 boards since I keep seeing video's with these same parts put together. (I updated the initial post with a video where someone uses it)

Yuki Hayami likes this
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

Yeah I built one nephew a PC (older one) and I have a younger one who really likes to play my old beat up one.

Regarding the MOBO warning .. I wonder if thats just something they put for all AM2 boards since I keep seeing video's with these same parts put together. (I updated the initial post with a video where someone uses it)

They always have some warnings on PCPP, but that is one that you actually need to watch out for unless you've got a AM4 CPU already. If you were to buy it on amazon or something, then you would probably get an old board with some June 2019 BIOS that wouldn't work before the update. If you were to go into a shop or something, or know someone with an old AM4 CPU, then you'd be fine most likely. I know for my B350 board, AMD sent out update kits because they pretty much launched their 2000 APU SKUs on top of their 1000 SKUs, and people needed a way updating their motherboards. I don't know if they still do that, but if they do, you could just use that route. 

5 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

They always have some warnings on PCPP, but that is one that you actually need to watch out for unless you've got a AM4 CPU already. If you were to buy it on amazon or something, then you would probably get an old board with some June 2019 BIOS that wouldn't work before the update. If you were to go into a shop or something, or know someone with an old AM4 CPU, then you'd be fine most likely. I know for my B350 board, AMD sent out update kits because they pretty much launched their 2000 APU SKUs on top of their 1000 SKUs, and people needed a way updating their motherboards. I don't know if they still do that, but if they do, you could just use that route. 

Thats a good point, although, you know being lazy and all ... I could send it back to the cunts if they ship me some old shit.

Azeh mentioned that the "MAX" version is the one that would be compatible out of the box so I think thats might have been where I went wrong

Yuki Hayami and Twinkie like this

Yeah B450 "MAX" versions are compatible with 3000 series out of the box, MSI is always good with allowing BIOS flashbacks without a cpu installed anyway so nothing to worry about. You might be able to pick up a 5700XT within your budget, seriously good card nearly matching a 2070 super.

Just in case someone who reads this is building their own PC - what the folks above noted is true. It turns out that some of these motherboards require a BIOS update to use the new CPU's and you need an older AMD chip to do it unfortunately. Luckily with this motherboard line they made a MAX version that was already flashed so you didnt need to do that:
```
Therefore, getting a standard B450 Tomahawk isn't recommended for new Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs whatsoever - even if you do the BIOS update yourself, you could encounter issues either now like many others have, or down the road (due to the small BIOS chip). To solve the problem MSI quickly (well, it hasn't turned out too quick for the US) released a "Max" version of the popular Tomahawk with a new and bigger BIOS ROM/chip to be able to accommodate the new BIOS (and future BIOS updates). Plus, the new Tomahawk comes already equipped with the new BIOS too, so there's no need to update the BIOS yourself - very handy for those building a new PC.
```

Just now, Rag said:

Yeah B450 "MAX" versions are compatible with 3000 series out of the box, MSI is always good with allowing BIOS flashbacks without a cpu installed anyway so nothing to worry about. You might be able to pick up a 5700XT within your budget, seriously good card nearly matching a 2070 super.

Hmm interesting, I thought about just giving him my 1070ti in a few months and it kind of kills me that the 970 I bought to hold him over is brand new in a box lol

@Rag / @Twinkie

Is there a particular set of RAM that you would recommend? I want to make sure it hits atleast 3200 MHZ if not 3600 and I heard some shitty things about overclocking some RAM brands.

I think in my PC I have the 3200 version of these but they dont seem to be all that popular (although mines overclocked with no issue on an intel setup)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8DVDZZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TOECTKC4OEBD&psc=1

I seen some recommendation video's using something like this too:
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-PC4-28800-1-35V-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07FBVYFKH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=corsair+vengeance+lpx+3600&qid=1578588296&sr=8-1

Edited by Sugarfoot
7 hours ago, Sugarfoot said:

@Rag / @Twinkie

Is there a particular set of RAM that you would recommend? I want to make sure it hits atleast 3200 MHZ if not 3600 and I heard some shitty things about overclocking some RAM brands.

I think in my PC I have the 3200 version of these but they dont seem to be all that popular (although mines overclocked with no issue on an intel setup)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8DVDZZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TOECTKC4OEBD&psc=1

I seen some recommendation video's using something like this too:
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-PC4-28800-1-35V-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07FBVYFKH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=corsair+vengeance+lpx+3600&qid=1578588296&sr=8-1

that ram should workk just fine. Ripjaws is the best stuff (or was when i was building)